main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Books The Official Outbound Flight Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by dp4m, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    Now wait a moment, I just remembered something.

Didn't Corellian traders teach the Chiss Basic about half a millenium before Yavin, accodring to FH Refugee???!!

2. Csillan_girl

Csillan_girl Jedi Master star 5

May 6, 2003
    Oh NO!!!!

Really?? :eek:

I want some real spoilers!! :_|

3. Bratty Jedi Master

Bratty Jedi Master Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 1, 1999
    If the things Zahn said at a Convention I was at in Hosuton about 3 years ago are still true, yes he has a brother. But I know from some conversations with Zahn at CIII that some of his outline that he had back at the Houston con had to be changed so I don't know if that is still true.

Bratty

EDIT: Oh yeah, for anyone in the Southeast: Zahn, Stackpole, and Allston are all going to be at a con in North Carolina in February.

4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I think - and hope and pray - that those things will be ignored. I don't think I've heard a sillier term than "megamaser" in recent memory...

I'm looking forward to another Hand of Thrawn style retcon. Feed the fires of hate, Tim, by making them think you're arrogant whilst saving Star Wars!!!

:D

E_S

Sudooku likes this.
  5. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    You know, as much as I'm not looking forward to this book, I'm not looking forward to pre-edited out's and also pre-edited out's :p infinite amount of Zahn-bashing that will immediately ensue. The only thing that will be worse is when Allegiance comes out in '07...

- Keralys

6. JaggedFel568

JaggedFel568 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 31, 2005

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >> I am just sick of the Chak Fel mystery - is he a son of Baron Soontir Fel or is another Fel (Soontir's brother, cousin, uncle whatever involved). Since Zahn introduced Chak Fel in SQ and insisted that he's not Davin I wondered if he would clear this up in OF<<

I believe that was sorted out in The Joiner King (hell, there's basicly a whole chapter basicly dedicated to retconning the Chiss problems between SQ and FHT ;) ).

8. Csillan_girl

Csillan_girl Jedi Master star 5

May 6, 2003
    I've never seen such a bad retcon before.

I mean, I admit I read everything that has Chiss in it - but all I want is a little quality! Am I asking for too much? I was so looking forward to the Dark Nest series, as it finally had the NJO characters again, and what do I get?? The first part was okay, but the rest was just one big disappointment.

9. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005

10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 8

Jul 19, 1999
    You have yet to witness the fury of the LOTF wars! Even veterans of the VP-NJO conflict will be awed by their ferocity!

JB

11. Bratty Jedi Master

Bratty Jedi Master Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 1, 1999
    Yes, I'm serious. February 17-19 in High Point, NC

I originally found out about it through Aaron Allston's appearance schedule on his website. I followed the link on his site to the con site which is where I found out about Zahn and Stackpole. The site for the con is: http://www.uncg.edu/student.groups/sf3/stellarcon.htm

I really want to go but I'm not sure I can afford a hotel room.

Bratty

12. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Jul 18, 2005
    My college is 20 minutes away, and by luck, it turns out my roommate was going to the convention anyways. So I signed up too and payed him back for half the hotel room.

Apparently there's going to be a Star Wars d20 game with Zahn playing as Thrawn. I know next to nothing about d20 but I'm going to have to do that.

13. dp4m

dp4m Also a Narc star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'm sorry?

Really?

NO REALLY?

I might have to go to that...

14. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Jul 18, 2005
    I did a double-take when I saw that on the site, too. But on second glance it was still there, thankfully enough. [face_dancing]

15. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    I thought one of the Chiss in Unseen Queen was Thrawn's brother, given that they both had Mitt starting off their names :confused:

16. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    T-minus 11 days, and we've got nothing? Surprising.

17. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Courtesy of Chris OFarrell on SDN:

That review about killed any chance of me picking up the hardcover. Granted, we ought to give it the benefit of the doubt... but Zahn's writing seems to be dropping with each new novel/story.

18. fett 4

fett 4 Force Ghost star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I would have to read the book before giving that judgment just yet. It could be just the reviewer making it look worse than it was.
    But like you I do hope OBF is better than SQ which was fairly pointless.

19. Pelranius

Apr 25, 2003
    The surrender part is most likely due to Kinman Doriana's military ineptitude and general stupidity. Which seems to be on the level of the Rojo and Isoto idiots.

The surrender by Doriana doesn't surprise me in the least, actually. So he's apparently a coward in addition to being a moron. It amazes me why Palpatine keeps such a moron in such close confidence.

As for the interdictor gravity projector, that's probably a version that is small enough to fit onto a chiss cruiser. (wasn't the gravity well on the DSI also experimental?) Or the technology could have been lost in the Ruusan period.

20. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    It amazes me why Palpatine keeps such a moron in such close confidence.

Considering that Doriana has no idea that Palpatine = Sidious, he's not really in "close confidence".

Heck, even Mas frickin Amedda knew that Palpatine was a Sith Lord...

....Regardless Doriana, Thrawn and the Chiss don't interest me...

...the tidbit about Jorus, however, has gained my attention. So the original, Jedi Master was crazy too? Hmmm...

21. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

NEGVV seems to think 220m Techno Union Hardcell ships are unarmed . . . The 30 mins was right though; Vulture fighters have a fuel life of that long.

22. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    I'd like to read the book in French, but I'd have to wait one more year... so I'll buy the US book... [face_plain]

How did this guy read the book before everyone? isn't it forbidden?

23. Pelranius

Apr 25, 2003
    It looks like Parck was lying when when he told Mara about the clash between Doriana and Thrawn (the numbers don't add up by any means, since if the Chiss fighters are included in the count, why not include the Vultures?) But why would he lie about a detail like that?

What class of patrol ships, incidentally?

Or he (Parck( got a garbled account from Thrawn or someone, or he's been going senile.

24. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Hmmm. 15 top of the line ships from Palpatine's private army are now Trade Federation :confused:

I think Zahn needs to re-read his own stories once in a while.

25. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Don't be silly -- you can't judge a book by its spoilers. Get a feel for it, learn what to expect, but until you read it spelled out on the page, you've got no idea what you're talking about.[face_shhh]