main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Books The Official Outbound Flight Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by dp4m, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    Actually, that is in line with accounts of the Republic military from Rogue Planet. Tarkin's state-of-the-art fleet there were all old TF ships also.

Also, does it state if either Doriana/Palpatine know that Yhrawn & Co are Chiss, and I'm assuming that the Chiss already speak Basic?

2. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Yes, but for appearances sake, wouldn't Palpy refuse to associate himself with any Trade Federation tech since they invaded his planet?

3. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    No. The Republic actually confiscated the Trade Federation's military after Naboo. There's no reason for him not to use it -- it's actually a reminder of victory, as well as a subtle jab at the previous administration's ineptitude.

4. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    And besides, what else is he going to use? He's not at the point yet where he can say to the Senate, "Yeah, I'm going to go take a handful of dreadnaughts and send them into the Unknown Regions. I can't tell you why." Especially since if he did that, and then Outbound Flight was destroyed, people might start to wonder.

5. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    Yes, but for appearances sake, wouldn't Palpy refuse to associate himself with any Trade Federation tech since they invaded his planet?

Read the spoiler. Doriana is working for Sidious, not Palpatine. (Doriana believes that they are separate individuals as well, and that Sidious is trying to bring down Palpatine's government).

Sidious used Federation ships in the Invasion of Naboo, so he'd certainly use them again.

6. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    I'm more concerned about the Republic having no grav well technology, when they have it ~4,000 years before that (KotOR), 6 or so years before that (Darth Maul: Saboteur), and 8 years after that (Dark Lord).

Again, I realize that it's best to judge the book upon reading it myself, but the battle description just sounds really lame and contived. Parck was obviously exaggerating Thrawn's genius a bit.

7. QuentinGeorge

Dec 12, 2003
    I'm more concerned about the Republic having no grav well technology, when they have it ~4,000 years before that (KotOR), 6 or so years before that (Darth Maul: Saboteur), and 8 years after that (Dark Lord).

Just put that down as an error from Zahn, and move on.

Or perhaps the ships in question are incredibly crappy even for the time, and didn't have the technology onboard.

8. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Bear in mind, Parck may only have his own memory of Thrawn's account of the battle to go on.

Or he could just be tweaking things for Mara's benefit. The point is to make Thrawn's opponent sound like her, only with more power. ;)

What's the Saboteur quote? I thought Luceno had someone say somewhere that grav-well tech was only just in development then?

A couple more thoughts... the charged conner nets are an old Zahn trick (from way back in HttE, IIRC)...

And Larwahk-class? Well, these could be the smaller cargo haulers seen in Rogue Planet...

Alternatively, though, it could simply be that Lucrehulk-class = core ship, and that the average TFBB, at least before the Clone Wars, lacks the heavy shields of the Droid Control Ship, and does indeed serve as a carrier with some guns bolted on... :p

- The Imperial Ewok

9. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    If they are 2 Lucrehulks, then that basically means that with 1500 fighters each, there are 3000 Vulture Droids that the Chiss need to dispose of. Of course, if this spoiler is true, 1500 of each blowing up inside your ships is likely to destroy you easily enough.

I was just hoping that the ships would be a new kind of class, but I suppose Zahn would put in the Trade Federation ships for the prequel fans reading just for Anakin, Obi-Wan and prequel mentions.

10. QuentinGeorge

Dec 12, 2003
    There's unlikely to be a new class used because this is prior to the Clone Wars, and the Republic doesn't have a navy of its own. (except for a "pirate-fighting" fleet of the Judicial forces and sector forces - which can't leave their system).

As Rogue Planet states, the Trade Federation ships integrated into the Judicial Forces are the best available for such a mission. (Since the massive Kuat ships can't leave their sector).

11. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    It sounds more as if Thrawn got lucky (especially when the Vulture droids blew up. He couldn't have known anything about that)

Since apparently the Sith deposited a Chiss colony on Thule, I wouldn't be surprised if Sidious knew about the Chiss before the Outbound Flight.

12. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

The Trafed freighters are I-class. Perhaps there are other classes.

Swarm War hinted at "old ringed megafreighters."

13. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    Ex: 'zactly! :p

Spike, QG: the point I was trying to make was that there's more than one class of TF "ringed megafreighter". The two that Tarkin uses in place of Dreadnaughts in Rogue Planet aren't TFBBs, but smaller (albeit similar) ships...

That said, I would be entirely happy if Larwahk-class is the "correct" name for the TFBB, and Lucrehulk is the name for the core ship - as I understand it, only NEGtVV uses Lucrehulk for the actual TFBB; ICS and the Visual Dictionary give it as the name of the core ship...

- The Imperial Ewok

14. fett 4

fett 4 Force Ghost star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Vision of the future was published in 1998. TPM was out in 99. ergo I doubt Zahn had any idea about the TradeFederation or the type of equipment etc etc when was writing it.

15. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    We've seen a number of smaller TF ships in the comics, including the Stark Hyperspace War and a few others.

16. thrawn20

thrawn20 Jedi Knight

Aug 16, 2005
    I have a totally un-related question, but I thought of it as Thrawn is mentioned in these discussions ......

What happened to Grand Admiral Pellaeon? Did he actually retire from service to the Imperial Remnant?

And, is he now an "ex-Imperial" as described in the recent Swarm War book?

How could he, a man of such professionalism and honour, ditch the Imperial Remnant and the ideals of the New Order, that he very much believes in?

Please, someone let me know what's going with Pellaeon ....

17. WitchKing66

WitchKing66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2005
    U-shape trade federation ships are massive and three times the size of impreial star destroyer (dimater-wise)
    and iam certain the zhan will treat them as such. truely zahn is the best writer in terms of warefare and military organizaton in the EU.

i am disguested, after reading Dark Lord and saw how Luceno just ripped all the goodies (ex: classic OT star destroyer, Vader TIE fighter) in the interim-20-years that seperates ROTS and ANH. and shove them all in one novel just for the sake of doing it. If Luceno wrote the Outboud FLight, we would probably see venator instead of TF U-shape . Zahn is a great writer and with great sense whats what. he is Deep. Ofcourse a typical SW rogue-squadron fan wouldnt understand why trade federation ships are involved.

18. QuentinGeorge

Dec 12, 2003
    Would you like some punctuation there, sir?

19. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    Thrawn20: Pellaeon's just on loan (in a certain way of speaking) from Bastion (or whereever the Moff Council is issuing orders) to the GFFA military. Apparently, he's permenantly on loan.

I imagine Gilad must have gotten bored of gardening and decided to let someone else be the SupComImpFleet, and there was a very attractive job offer from the organization of which the Remnant is a member state of (and who could turn down a sixteen engined Star Dreadnaught? Even Darth Frickin Vader had only thirteen).

After watching AotC, I always imagined Doriana's ships as being Accalmators.

20. WitchKing66

WitchKing66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2005
    is the Imperial Remnant the official name of the Empire in post-Endor era. or is just the way their enemies called them in order to mock them? i would imagine the Imperial should still consider themselves as the Empire.

also what does GFFA stands for

21. BobaKareu

BobaKareu Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 24, 2005
    Galaxy Far, Far Away:)

22. EwokStromboli

EwokStromboli Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 4, 2004
    It appears to be the accepted "political name" of the entity, post-Hand of Thrawn saga. I'm sure the Moffs and such still consider themselves as "the Empire," but I don't think "Imperial Remnant" is meant to mock them.

23. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    Just in passing - the Remnant do call themselves the Empire, but if they need a territorial expression, they can use "Imperial Space", at least in DT:R...

- The Imperial Ewok

24. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    WitchKing66 - GFFA also stands for Galactic Federation of Free Alliances. It's a combination of a governmental name and the acronym by which the fans have long referred to the Star Wars galaxy, the "galaxy far far away" from the intro... [face_thinking]

- Keralys

Sudooku likes this.
  25. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    I'm almost positive Lawahk is a mistake on the part of the summarizer-- elsewhere he he calls them Lucrehulks.

Anyhow, here's the full summary, once again courtesy Chris OFarrell at SDN:

Buncha typos, but I couldn't be bothered fixing them...

And there are some big huge revelations here, so stop reading if you don't want the Big Twist ruined...

Seriously, I'm talking HUGE SPOILERS...

More so than I certainly expected from a book who's plot should be pretty much known...

LAST CHANCE! HUGE SPOILERS!