main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The Official Outbound Flight Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by dp4m, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Rawtooth

Rawtooth Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2005
    So Palpatine is the new Revan? My thoughts on this range from "Huh, interesting [face_thinking]" to "Great...:rolleyes: "

2. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Pretty much my thoughts. I can't tell if it's a great or terrible idea; I reckon I'll refrain from deciding till I read the book.

Right off the cuff, though, it seems to fit in well with previously established statements of Palpatine seeing himself as a savior (ROTS VD) or using extragalactic invaders as an 'excuse' for arms buildup (ROTS IC).

3. killfire

killfire Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2001
    So the Jedi **** up again. And Palpatine is a good guy after all, kind of. Now Jacen cann declare himself Emperor in LOTF.

Quite amusing how Zahn trashed the NJO with just two books.

Waiting for I, Mara Jade.

4. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    Good Lord! C'baoth was a total nut! Even more so than his clone! :eek:

He and Dooku would have got along like a house on fire...

5. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    I imagine Dooku and C'Boath are cousins, at least. Or long lost twins. They're even the same height (or close enough)

It sounds like Doriana doesn't even know what a gravity well projector is. Good lawrd! Where's Screed when you need him?

What's wrong with Yaga Minor defense contractors? Its sounds like someone didn't install particle shields, or you can turn on only particle shields or energy shields one at a time, or C'Boath is such a nut that he doesn't think of turning on particle shields. Or these particle shields are some lousy variation of Dune shielding where anything slow enough can pass through.

Sounds like Lorana survived. Did she?

6. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

A

C

E

Let me see...

... six Dreadnaughts can open up a large can of whupass on a TFBB...

... massed starfighter attacks cause trouble for Prequel era capital ships...

... there's not much effective full-ship particle shielding in the Prequel timeframe...

... the Republic doesn't have effective grav-well generators either...

... but the Republic did had Navy captains before the Clone Wars...

... the original C'baoth was a fruitloop gene-fascist, just like his clone...

... Palpatine was a smarter, twistier, more complex character than we ever knew (except in Vader's Quest :p)...

... The Far Outsiders were there all along (but are they ever identified with the Yuuzhan Vong o_O [face_thinking] [face_mischief])...

... and all is right with the GFFA again. :)

:D :D :D :D

I'm very happy with these spoilers!

Not because they're anything new, but because they're a reaffirmation of how it's always been meant to be! :cool:

W

H

E

E

E

E

!

!

!

!

- The Imperial Ewok

7. Baron-Noir

Baron-Noir Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 22, 2005
    I have one cheap, but critical question...Is the book avaiable in canada ?

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    What you posted above has no bearing on whether Palpatine knew about the Yuuzhan Vong as YUUZHAN VONG.

What he knew is that Tarkin reported about the Far Outsiders from Zonoma Sekot, which is entirely consistent with what we'd seen previously in Rogue Planet.

9. Baron-Noir

Feb 22, 2005
    Is this out, or not ? (Please...)

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    31-Jan

11. WitchKing66

WitchKing66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2005
    last time i set foot here, until i have read the book ..... adious

12. Baron-Noir

Feb 22, 2005
    In this case...how people know about the book ?

13. sabarte

sabarte Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    Any explanations for the Clone Wars era Chiss like Sev'rance Tann?

14. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    You know, the spoilers I have read thus far do not please me at all. [face_plain]

First off, I consider Zahn's The Thrawn Trilogy the finest EU literature ever. I still remember the feeling I had when I first read my now worn paperback copy of Heir to the Empire.

But...

Since that trilogy, I have seen my interest in Zahn's work decrease. The Hand of Thrawn duology was ok, and Survivor's Quest a bore. Now, it seems that this new book of his has shown that, while a good writer, he fails to come up with new ideas or characters. In fact, he seems content to play with his characters only.

Now, just for the record, I am not a Zahn basher, Mara-hater, etc, etc. But, I do feel that in constantly tying everything to Thrawn that Zahn is making a huge mistake. Grand Admiral Thrawn of the original trilogy of his works was a cunning, cold, and efficent villian. It is for those reasons that he became so hugely popular. Yet, since then, Zahn seems to be trying his hardest to morph that once great character into the most intelligent, creative, powerful, farseeing, and noble person ever.

And that, in my own opinion, is what is ruining the character.

Sadly, I feel that Zahn has been undermining his own early works and characters, eventually reducing them to the point that they are no longer believable. :(

Anyways, just figured I would offer my two cents.

--Adm. Nick

15. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    All I can say is that I like these plot points, but they are quite predictable, seeing as I came up with the same stuff in a vignette in 2003.

Still, I look forward to getting the book :)

16. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    The spoilers have made me even more excited for this, but I'll probably wait until it's either paperback or the library gets it.

17. EwokStromboli

EwokStromboli Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 4, 2004
    I have no real opinion on this broadly, but I do want to note that I think tying Thrawn to the "original" C'Boath is a fascinating concept.

18. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Nick, I agree with you for the most part, but since Thrawn destroying the Outbound Flight project was part of his original backstory in TTT in the first place, I think his prominence here is justified.

Also, I think this new revelation with the Far Outsiders makes a lot of sense. I always wondered just what Doriana said that made Thrawn choose to destroy the project.

That much said, I'm going to wait and see if the book is actually any good before I comment more. SQ was just bizzare; here's hoping this book turns out better.

TC

TC

19. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Talon, I guess I just have been more and more disappointed with each new Zahn book. You bring up a good point though about this already being part of Thrawn's backstory. I just feel that with this Far Outsider connection that Zahn is trying to connect Thrawn into an era (NJO) that he wasn't part of. I guess where I get fed up with Zahn is his effort to make Thrawn all knowing and wise. I loved the Thrawn of his original trilogy. It is the subsequent Thrawn appearances that have disappointed me.

--Adm. Nick

20. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Jul 18, 2005
    What makes you think Thrawn wasn't supposed to be tied to the NJO from the beginning? It wasn't by accident that Vision of the Future, which revealed Thrawn's knowledge about the "terrible threat" of the Unknown Regions, came out less than a year before Vector Prime.

Besides, no one seems to mind Anakin, Obi-wan, Tarkin, and Sienar (not to mention the Death Star) being connected to the NJO via Rogue Planet. It seems to me that RP and OF form a sort of loose duology.

21. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    IIRC, the vague threats that Zahn refered were not the Vong, by his own admission. Remember, he was writing in the Bantam era. He was not involved in the creation of the NJO. I cannot provide the quotes, but I recall someone posting them on the boards back when the NJO was still going. Perhaps a good samaritan remembers what I am refering to and knows where we can find it?

Furthermore, there is no reason to connect Thrawn to the Vong, save for Zahn's effort to make the man damn near omnipotent. Thrawn had flaws in the original trilogy. Yet, with each passing new Zahn work, he seems to approach god-like status.

--Adm. Nick

22. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Jul 18, 2005
    No, Zahn actually said that the threat was the Vong.

The late Bantam era was when a lot of the basic outline of the NJO was being established. Not the specific plotlines (which were changed a lot anyways) but the basic outline.

Why aren't you angry about Palpatine knowing about the Vong?

23. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Well, Palpatine has always been described as a sort of all knowing evil genius. Thrawn, on the other had, was not. Unfortunately, this has been changing over the past several years.

--Adm. Nick

24. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    Nonsense. Do you know what the original description of Palpatine was? A doddering old man who was no more than a puppet for his advisors. That was the first, and in some sense the most canon for a long time, description of Palpatine. It came from ANH novel. In any case, Thrawn was always the near-omnipotent guy he is now. The only reason he failed was because of treason that he was already beginning to suspect but simply hadn't had time to fully peg to yet. Thrawn anticipated every single move the NR made. You're telling me you don't find Thrawn's being aware of the Vong to be reasonable, yet you do find his being able to anticipate, just on his own strategic brilliance, that the NR was going to attack Bilbringi rather than wherever it was they were supposedly going after completely credible? :rolleyes:

Thrawn was trusted so much by the Emperor because (1) he was supremely loyal and (2) the two of them could both be two to three steps ahead of everyone else in the galaxy. Thrawn was the perfect military complement to Palpatine's political genius. And Thrawn being a military genius in no way diminishes how insanely sneaky and brilliant Palpatine was.

- Keralys

25. EwokStromboli

EwokStromboli Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 4, 2004
    It's a fascinating point. Then again, Zahn would be far from the first author to do this sort of thing. In Shatterpoint, for instance, Stover links Mace Windu to the NJO era (or at least, indirectly, the Vong), via the jungle Coruscant image at the end. Plus, Rogue Planet already specifically linked the pre-ANH, pre-Clone Wars era to the NJO/Vong. The eras are quite incestuous (no Jacen Solo or Anakin Solo joke intended), already.

You bring up Thrawn specifically, and that is a good point; the guy's becoming incredibly kriffin' connected at this rate. But at least his association with the Far Outsiders isn't out of the blue or anything.