main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

The Official Outbound Flight Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by dp4m, Jan 9, 2006.

1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Fleet Admiral of Literature star 6 Staff Member Manager

May 28, 2003
    1. Using the opening to the ANH novel proves nothing. That description of the Emperor was subsequently turned over by the movies themselves. Furthermore, the EU novels paint a portrait of a Palpatine that is nearly all powerful as well. Irrelevant or out of date sources mean nothing. [face_shame_on_you]

2. Thrawn did make several mistakes in TTT. Sluis Van is one. Another is the smuggler attack at Bilbringi. When they disrupted things in the shipyards, the New Republic was able to exploit it. Furthermore, on page 462 of the paperback edition of TLC, the narrator describes Thrawn's voice as grim as the NR exploits the distraction made by the Rogues and smugglers. He has flaws in those books, even if they are not overly obvious. Yet, since then, Thrawn reputation has been constantly boosted to levels that are unbelievable.

--Adm. Nick

2. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Nick: it's pretty clear that the Vong replaced, and partially evolved out of, the planned vilains for a post-HoT2 Bantam/Dark Horse arc; thus, the foreshadowing in VotF got transferred to them...

So Thrawn was always meant to know about 'em...

Assuming, of course, that Thrawn is really talking about the Vong in OBF... ;)

- The Imperial Ewok

3. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    Maybe it's that Sith Empire Revan was chasing down at the end of KOTOR.

I have the feeling that all these tie ins are mostly Del Rey's ideas, not the authors themselves.

4. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    Nick: I'm well aware of that, thanks. My point was that the "always" wasn't quite true. And that wasn't really shown at all until Zahn came along, and then the prequels, of course. The mythos of him as a mastermind grew out of Zahn's writing (others ran with it, of course) and was more obviously developed in the movies themselves. But until Zahn wrote, no one knew that the Emperor was a scheming guy the way he is.

As for Thrawn, I still see no evidence that he's omniscient or all-powerful. He knows a lot, sure, and that's what makes him dangerous. But he's still just responding to the variables he's given. I really don't see where you get this, but I can respect your right to hold that opinion. :)

- Keralys

5. dp4m

dp4m Also a Narc star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The fiction of Palpatine being a doddy old fogey manipulated by his advisors is just that: a fiction. Much easier to control people who think they're controlling you. :)

I'd say probably only Pestage knew the secret for certain among Palpatine's "advisors"...

6. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    Tarkin probably, too. Given his connections via Rogue Planet, and the fact that even a backbencher like Doriana knew, it'd make sense.

7. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Fleet Admiral of Literature star 6 Staff Member Manager

May 28, 2003
    Agreed. :)

I just hope that it is never retconned that Thrawn absolutely knew about the second coming of Palpatine and was only attacking the NR to "ready" the galaxy for the coming terror. I hear people voice that opinion alot, and it bothers me. I can live with Thrawn knowing about the Vong, but knowing about the reborn Emperor would be to much.

--Adm. Nick

8. dp4m

dp4m Also a Narc star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I don't list Tarkin as an "advisor" in the sense that the nvoel likely did. Tarkin definitely knew the whole thing though...

9. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Oh, definitely -- the novel fairly well confirms as much. For a time, it would've been an "at-arm's-length" holo-communiqué-situation like with Doriana, although Tarkin's own dialogue to Sienar strongly imputes that he had the entire picture at his steepled fingertips (unlike Doriana).

...You changed your colors, dp.

10. dp4m

dp4m Also a Narc star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    GO SEAHAWKS!

They'll be back in a couple of weeks. ;)

11. Darth_Gilgawulf

Darth_Gilgawulf Jedi Youngling

Dec 10, 2004
    You know, I almost like the Vong better with Thrawn and Palps knowing. Makes them seem less super-bad, or something. If Palps hadn't bitten the dust, the Vong would've been toast.

12. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    Sure as heck is adding fuel to the fire of the idea that Palpy constructed the Death Star as a preparatory countermeasure to the threat of the Vong as well as the kind of threatening device it actually was used as. The Vong would have been easy work for the Death Star, and there is very little likelihood that the Vong would have been able to exploit the design flaw as the Rebels did. So... blame it on Tarkin?

- Keralys

13. Darth_Gilgawulf

Darth_Gilgawulf Jedi Youngling

Dec 10, 2004
    I don't know, I don't really like the idea that the Death Star was built to stop the Vong. It would have done the job, sure, but that was a BONUS, not the reason for it.

14. Ackbar_Van_Gungan

Ackbar_Van_Gungan Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    The Death Star was built as a way to defeat Zonoma Sekot whom Palpatine thought was his greatest rival in the Force.

-The Rebel Gungan

15. quad_gun_jinn

quad_gun_jinn Jedi Master star 4

Dec 13, 2002

It does mention in one of the books, I think its VotF, that Thrawn was only whipping the galaxy into fighting shape. I think its Parck talking to Mara.

16. Pelranius

Apr 25, 2003
    I don't think it's very wise to take Parck's words at face value, even if it's the GFFA.

Or Formbi's. [face_mischief]

17. Formbi_ODulok

Formbi_ODulok Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2006
    Why not? :confused:

:p

- The Chiss Dulok

18. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Immortal Mod-King of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    By the sound of the spoilers, the escape of the Outbound Flight, the Vagaari, and Thrawn almost getting choked to death sounds like a mistake on Thrawns part.

Well, I'd see it as a mistake. One that had the Vagaari harrying the galaxy for another 40 years. So ouch.

Wonder what that world Thrawn glassed was? We have yet to get told that, I think.

19. Ackbar_Van_Gungan

Ackbar_Van_Gungan Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    A third spinoff? Unless this is the new user name McEwok was talking about?

-The Rebel Gungan

20. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    remember Zahns next project: OT Era shortly before TESB: Allegiance

it features the OT Cast.. more is not known, but come on... I can smell Thrawn's mission/exile to the UR, Noghri, Empire of the Hand foundation, Jori Cardas visiting Yoda, Karrde's rise, etc. yadda yadda and such stuff already!

21. Baron-Noir

Baron-Noir Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 22, 2005
    Hey, hypothesis...Do you think that a Vong agent/sympathizer could have favored the whole Outbound Flight thingy, to get info ?

22. killfire

killfire Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2001
    And finally we will learn that the Noghri who killed Thrawn was a Yuuzhan Vong midget wearing an ooglith masquer.

23. BobaKareu

BobaKareu Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 24, 2005
    Nah, Zahn said at CIII that Thrawn probably wouldn't appear in Allegiance.

24. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    I'd actually find that to be pretty cool.

25. Pelranius

Apr 25, 2003
    I imagine the Allegiance will focus upon Karrde, Car'das and Yoda. Maybe a bit of Mistryl.