main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Question Thread: Newbies Ask Any Questions You Have!

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Agent_SkywalKer, Jun 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Welcome to the boards!

First and foremost, for Fan Fiction, you'll want to go to the Fan Fiction Forum: Fan Fiction and click on the link for Fan Fiction FAQ (frequently asked questions).

That should tell you everything you need to get started... good luck!

2. justicejedidied

justicejedidied Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 28, 2006
    uh...[face_blush] what's with all the e-sisters, brothers, mothers, fathers, etc. is it a code?

3. FaithInTheDarkSide

FaithInTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2006
    It's a sign of a deeper relationship between the members. Correct me if I am wrong... I haven't got any, yet.

4. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Faith is right. :)

These e-relationships show some kind of friendship or how they feel for each other. There's no way to say how you can get one. It goes its own ways and "suddenly" you got an e-sister or so. ;)

I hope this answers your question, but if not, ask again, ok? :)

5. justicejedidied

Oct 28, 2006
    thanks, that works

can you ask other members answers to Teh Mole questions?

and it looks like many people have customized Avis...is there a way to make one and submit it?

6. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    You can submit icons/avatars here.

You can ask but they may not know the answer or they may purposly give you the incorrect answer. Don't discuss the questions on the boards with others or ask for answers on the boards though, do it via other means if you must. Some have PMed mods to get the answer which is perfectly alright. It is up to them though if they answer you or not. Whatever you do, do NOT harrass, insult or flame them or other users if they don't feel like answering you.

I know you didn't ask but you can use google also but you will not always find things using it. I make sure of that. [face_devil]

7. justicejedidied

Oct 28, 2006
    thanks, all! :)

8. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Do Mods or Admins have the ability to completely remove a thread? I could've sworn there was a really offensive thread about mentally handicapped people last night that I was highly upset about and posted as such in the thread. However this morning it appears to have disappeared from my post list and the JCC. Is this possible?

9. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    You're right. Mods, Manager and Admins (and of course RSA's and GSA's) have the ability to remove posts and threads if necessary. Admins can even delete a whole board (but normally they don't do this).

In your case I would bet that they deleted the thread, because it was highly inappropriate. Normally it is better to send a PM about such a thread that you get upset of than posting there. Just a little hint. ;) :)

10. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    Thanks!! I normally don't get offended, but that one was just too much for me.

11. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    I see, but still it is better to send a PM to a Mod, because those people often want a reaction like yours. So posting there satisfies them. Plus you can get in trouble as well if you post there (depending on what and how you post).

12. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    I merely posted how offensive their post was and that I was highly disappointed that this was the community the mods fought so hard to protect during the Sports forum discussion. Then I said I couldn't wait until the Arena opened so I no longer had to read horribly offensive titles such as that one while trying to find the football thread. You're right though. I gave in to my anger and prolly gave them the reaction they wanted. Its tougher to fight off when their idea hits close to home.

13. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Although I haven't read your post, it doesn't sound too bad. :)

So you're at the JC mostly because of sports? Then we'll read us more often in the Arena soon. ;) :D

14. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    Yuppers!!! Basically the Football (american) thread, but I can't wait to try to get a horse discussion going in the arena.

15. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Horse discussion? How great! :D I wasn't sure if I should start one, but now... I think I'll do it (if no one else is faster of course ;) ). :D

16. Cinnamon_Windu

Cinnamon_Windu Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 10, 2005
    I got three e-sisters by saying that I wanted one. My first three e-sisters "volunteered for the position". I got all my other e-siblings by asking them if they wanted to be such.

17. Kavic_Toth

Kavic_Toth Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 9, 2002
    I'm a little late on this one, but I just wanted to add something to the dear Skiara's answer to the above questions from s65horsey.

As Skiara said, yes they do. And if there is an offensive thread that might need such, they will get to ASAP. Sometimes, patience is a virtue. Even with numerous moderators, there are sometimes gaps here and there where a mod for that particular forum may not be on.

Good job, s65horsey. Just remember, don't give in enough that you get yourself in trouble. Flaming or baiting, as well as 'modding' by a non-Moderator/Manager (ie "Lock this thread", "Ban so-and-so", etc) posts in threads could get you into trouble, just as "in before the lock" posts and such could. Your best course of action (and this is general info for everyone) is to contact a Moderator/Manager or Administrator and let them know about the thread, then let them do their job. They will either A) lock/delete/edit the thread, B) ban/warn the user that opened the thread or, C) explain why it does not violate the ToS and/or CoC to you.

I assume from looking for the football threads it was JCC, a hive of scum and villainy on the boards (I should know, I was a JCC Manager). At the top of the JCC page, there is an 'Online?' option next to each of the forum Managers names. You can check that to see if one of them is online, and if there is not one there, you can also use the Users Online page to see who is available. Mods/Mngrs and Admins tend to stand out on the list, since it shows their colors. Even if it is not a moderator for that specific forum, they can still handle locking the thread, if nothing else, until one of the forums moderators is available to decide from there what course of action should be taken.

I hope that helps with any possible future issues anyone might come across like this one. :)

18. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    Thanks Kavic!!! I haven't had a good response from the JCC mods the last time something like this came up so I basically don't have faith in them. I don't think I realized another Mod could do something about it. I shall use this option in the future if something like this comes up again. So thank you!

Edit: This was also during the Halloween thing I think and there wasn't an "online" option at the top with the Mods. They had disappeared.

19. Jedi_Daniel

Jedi_Daniel Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 16, 2002
    I love getting a PM to edit or remove something really bad because there's no mods online in the big forums. Makes me feel special!

20. Jaded_Rose

Jaded_Rose Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2006
    Um, how do you put the accent over the "e" in Padme? It is driving me nuts. I've lurked around the JC for months, and even once I got my username, still didn't know!

J_Ro

21. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Territorial Tracking Log... ;) :p

22. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Because there are different keyboards, it can be that my way doesn't work for you, but I'll explain it nevertheless:

On the left side of the "back" button is another one with the symbols "´" and "`". You just have to hit that key and to press a letter afterwards. You won't see the symbol when you hit the button once, but you'll see it if you hit it twice or a letter.

Hopefully this helps in some way. But I'm afraid that it won't because of the different keyboards.

:)

23. GreatTarzan

GreatTarzan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    Or, if you're on Windows, hold Alt and hit 0233 and then let go of Alt. You'll get: é.

;)

24. Shaggadelic_Jedi

Shaggadelic_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 27, 2006
    I'm also on Windows but I use another way...
    I'm in french immersion so I always have to use the accents if I'm writing on the computer
    If I hold down ALT and press 130 then let go that'll give you an é as well!
    :D
    Now I'll know that I can use 0233 as well though...Thanks Tarzan [:D]

25. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    I have to try it again now. Mostly these short cuts doesn't work somehow...

*tries*

And still it doesn't work. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.