main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TOR The Official Republic Character Classes Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Qui-Gon_Reborn, Feb 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    This thread is for any and all discussion (imagine that) of any and all Republic character classes -- ie, Jedi Consular, Jedi Knight, Smuggler, and Trooper. If you're interested in discussing (there's that word again) Sith Empire character classes, then skip on over to the Sith Empire Character Class Discussion Thread!

2. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Looks like Jedi Consular is being given a wide path to follow:
    "Jedi Consulars always seek to grow their knowledge of the galaxy, in understanding of themselves, and in comprehension of the Force that binds it all together. The commitment to this pursuit gives Consulars an unrivaled capacity for clarity in situations otherwise shrouded in darkness. However, this same dedication can also prove to be extremely perilous?inviting Consulars to explore paths that are better left untraveled. Some of the Jedi Order?s greatest minds have been seduced to the dark side through purely academic inquiries. The Consular knows the pain of this temptation as a battle-hardened warrior knows the throbbing of an old wound.

Before they can dispel the darkness in the galaxy, Jedi Consulars know they must first come to terms with the darkness within. There?s no avoiding the temptation to take shortcuts or even to use their knowledge for personal power; Consulars must constantly check their own motives. When tempted to step onto the path leading to darkness, Consulars must remember the tormented fate of the Jedi who have passed that way before. This is the only way they can unite the Jedi Order and the Republic and rally the troops to rescue the galaxy from the menacing darkness."

I'm looking forward to completing this arc's journey.

3. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Agreed. That does sound like an interesting arc.

4. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    I don't think that you or I will have to look very far for a fight. :eek:
    I imagine that there will be an onslaught of players attempting to follow the quick but not-so-easy path. :p

5. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Heh. I'm still rankling over the "Knight/Consular" thing. It's absurd. :p

Why don't we have "Sith Lord/Sith Inquisitor", as well?

Oh, well. I'll still be playing it.

6. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    So the Consular's are the 'Grey Jedi' archetype?

7. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Thats what it sounds like...

I'm Lord Hothing it.

8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Going to hunt down every possible Sith remnant and causing the war to last into perpetuity and even the Jedi dislike you? Good luck. :p

9. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    I´ll post here, even as I could also post in the Sith thread equivalent. I have a huge problem with what I see from the classes so far. Fancy explanation-texts in all honors . . . but we got tanks here and healer/damage dealers . . . smugglers as rogues. The classic MMO set up, no matter how long and hard they try to convince us otherwise.

But how will they make that work? We have heard nothing about jedi Healers so far, even though we heard the Sith inquisitors can specialize on that. Obviously the Jedi will have something balancing that. So Level 20 Jedi Consulars will spread healing in a whole group in battle? I guess we will see one of both classes specialize on command and special actions too. like Lotro did it, or WoW. But that might be changed within the first huge updates.

10. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Actually, I was thinking I'd land on random planets under Sith control and just flip the ignition switch on my blacklight, light-saber as I yell "Chaaaaaarge!"...

I hate politics.
    :p

11. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    How else would you have them do it? Isn't it classic for a reason? ;)

I, for one, am eyeballing the Sith Inquisitor class. With both eyeballs. :p

12. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
  13. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Going out on a limb, here, but it looks like those final classes are going to be your "caster" classes to your "tank" classes being the Jedi Knight and Sith Warrior. I'm also a bit skeptical on only having four classes per side. I kind of wish the two Force-user classes were locked to each side, but then allow the players of the other classes to align themselves toward "dark" or "light," based on their actions about midway through their respective game paths.

The "Jedi-to-Sith" comparison doesn't seem significantly different to me than, say, "Horde-vs.-Alliance" or "Destruction-vs.-Order." It seems logical that they'd have different content on that level, because they're on opposite sides of the spectrum. But it doesn't really imply to me that different classes will be seeing totally different things like some of the advance peeks claim they will.

14. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Double?

15. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I'll look forward to politely asking the Republic hunt you down as a 'threat to the peace', then. [face_skull]

16. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Seeing your post reminded me of the Two Towers when Dooku had long hair, and his own Spire.... specifically, the scene where he walks out with Wormtongue and unveils the army: "To WARRR!!"

:p

17. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Well, let´s face how MMO´s work. Or better, let´s see how they don´t work. If we have basically equivalences of Sith and Jedi lcasses on both sides, with Sith maybe a bit better in dd and Jedi in healing, then it basically all depends on hte story to make the difference for us. And will we be that deep into hte story? We can have as much trust in Bioware as we want, but MMos are not about story. too big. To easy to access new editing things. You hang out with friends, do instances again and again to help noobs and level up a bit, you go earn som money with farming, all that will happen . . . and if a Sith warrior and a Jedi Knight actually feel pretty much the same while playing, and do the same sutff and we end up having Tibanna fields on Taris where Sith and Jedi stand around together and farm for Credits . . . that might work in fantasy. It surely doesn´t feel a lot like Star wars, does it?

So I think classes were one of their chances to ease that problem a bit. By making them really unique. Instead they made classical parties and pretty identical on both sides, too. I like some things about TOR and how it looks and feels. Some things I do not like. The classes among them. They are too generic.

18. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    Well, we already know that this is a very strange MMO. I'd rather assume that this MMO is going to be story-centered than assume that just because MMOs are generally not story-centered that this isn't going to be. :p

19. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Well, you mean the game forces you to follow the story, by leaving you nothing else to do? Because I doubt it matters if they want to do it story-centric. Most games have storylines. Lotro had an amazing one. Same promises as here. All about story and char. And if some played it like that, they had a good time I am sure. But missed the game. People will get there to experience stuff. And you will play instances repeatedly. Again and again with friends. What could the game do about it? So, I doubt people will follow the storyline as if it was Kotor III. They will use the advantages of the media to play with friends. That´s just not the way people behave in MMOs.

There will be farming.

There will be guilds.

There will be leveling.

No way around that. And these things will not be story-friendly. So I would have loved to see the classes a little more exotic ideas of classes.

20. Salty

Salty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 24, 1998
  21. JasperMereel_

JasperMereel_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2006
    Does anyone know if the Mandalorians are going to be in this game at all?

22. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    You know Fins, that's a great way of putting it. I was struggling to articulate my problems with Bioware's approach and you've summed it up neatly.

I'm excited for TOR and I want to be even more excited, but a small voice says that they're misunderstanding their audience here.

23. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Dec 11, 2008
    But the story remains the center of the game, and it'll come before players start messing around with their friends. In SWG, there are a couple of loose storylines -- Legacy, Rebel/Imperial Theme Park, Meatlump Theme Park -- that everybody goes through before they start doing pvp, instances, and group stuff.

24. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    Exactly what I said the other day to a good friend of mine. I had the honor to be present when that battleship press version was played. And I liked it. no doubt. The choices and story. All fine. But if this is an early instance, you will probably help friends play though it several times. And that will probably becoming terrible! I wonder if Bioware is aware that in MMOs the stuff is play repeatedly. In Lotro and WoW story is therefore kept to a minimum. You don´t wanna go through nine minutes of dialogue and character development everytime you enter an instance. You want to experience a battle again. Maybe outlast you last performance or see what fun it is to approach this again with your new skills, while gaining XP so you get even more awesome.

I never considered me a great powerplayer, but games are just no fun when you can´t compete in PvP, so you do PP. You see an instance where you can easily get XP while having fun slaughtering enemies? You do it a few times. And then when your pals come online, you take them there, too. Because you don´t wanna run around with Lvl 12 guys, when you are Lvl22. So, you do it again. Then someone starts a new char . . . you got the idea.

That you will do a tutorial quest series in the beginning, yes. But that won´t matter after ten hours in game or so . . .

I join the club of people sceptical about how they manage these important elements of the game design.

25. Scummy

Scummy Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    While I'm excited about the game (I love Star Wars and I love BioWare) I'm having the same nagging feeling as you guys. I'm worried BioWare is trying to shoehorn their style of RPG into an MMO and I'm not sure if it will work. We'll see.

Scummy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.