main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The ***Official*** RMFF IMAX Event Planning Thread

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Obey Wann, Sep 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    I will be posting information here shortly, but there will be officially LFL authorized IMAX events happening around the country, and I'm sure that Phoenix will be part of it.

I'm putting the info together right now, but I'll post it here soon. Get thiose costumes ready, and be ready for soomething huge. :D

More info to follow soon....

OW

(I saw Jen's post about you possibly not getting AOTC, but I think you can still run with what I'll be giving you...)

Here it is...
    OK, everyone, here?s the scoop. LFL and starwars.com would like to do something big for the AOTC release on IMAX. We finally get to do officially what we?ve done all along. We get to have an officially LFL sponsored event, and party!!!

For that to happen, first and foremost, we need to make sure that your local theater will have AOTC playing there. 9whichever one that is), but I?m hoping that Jen can put on her full schmooze face and find out what?s up. Or any/all of you can call the theater(s) and find out what the story is. But we need to make sure that they know that you want AOTC to play there. But Be nice, polite.

OK, here is the scoop from Josh: (with my emphasis added)

1) LFL has no clue which IMAX is getting the movie. We need to start a small
    campaign to get it in everywhere.

2) So if your IMAX doesn't book it, the following efforts may be wasted.

3) Be nice, polite - get your theater to play AOTC IMAX. Many of the"institutional" (non-commercial, like museums, science centers, etc) IMAX theaters are dubious about the actual demand and/or the public acceptance of booking AOTC. I've also heard through the grapevine that other owners are getting "hundreds" of calls and are booking as a result. HOWEVER - frightening the owner isn't going to help, either, though. Use the forums and the FANFORCE page to mobilize.

4) Plan / get / make a web page secifically for IMAX and your FANFORCE. LFL wants a unique page (or site) per regional group. The less "cookie-cutter", the better... have fun. The page should eventually have links to the theater, maybe MapQuest instructions, links to Fandango or other online ticket purchase, schedules, list of events, etc. This may also be a great time for these groups to "recruit" new members since LFL will be pointing starwars.com traffic to you.

5) Think logistically: If there's a October 31st event, what should be involved? Simple line up? Costume contest - local or charity sponsor of some kind? Meet at a restaurant / watering hole? Coordination with local media? Some of this will be made easier when there's a general sense of LFL authentication, but thought and contacts might be made now.

6) Leadership - LFL wants me to compile a list of at most two contact people per website/FANFORCE group, etc. I need email and phone access. The group should be able to demonstrate some cohesiveness and so LFL can have the confidence that the leadership is willing and able to "pull it off". (?Please email these to me, or PM them to me: --OW )

This event will have coordination with the 501st. I believe that LFL is doing this, but you will need to get together with your local 501st/RL leadership and plan this out. With all of the stuff that you have, and all of the great costumes and props that you all have, we can do something absolutely killer for this event.

Here are some other things that you will need to do:

- Get organized with the theater and the mall
    - Organize events, including: Lineup, costume contests, advertising the event, and other events?
    - Set up a webpage. (add a part to your existing website, possibly)
    - display an official "seal of approval" graphic provided by LFL
    - post local details, like theater, showtime and ticket links
    - post details on any local happenings (times, meeting places, plans, etc)
    - post pictures or anything creative fans have done
    - star

2. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    Well if they are showing it in the springs it shouldn't be too bad.. Hey maybe I could even make it. :D

3. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Just as a thought, you should probably put together some RMFF/RL/501st shirts for your non-costumed members. Something to think about...

4. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    Come on down people, let's get ready to party!!!

We can make this really great by combining forces w/ the 501st & the Rebel Legion!

Let's see some interest! :D :D :D :D :D

5. Jedi_Pilot

Jedi_Pilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    You know me, :D I'm always game for this stuff! So, we want to do it in the Springs or bug Colorado Center?

6. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    I'm not sure the Colorado Center can even get the movie (they are not on the IMAX website). BUt we could always bug them both. There are enough RL/501st/RMFF people to spread around to both places if they both get it.

7. Jedi_Pilot

Feb 7, 2002
    Yeah, I did see that. (This is what I get for getting ahead of myself. :D) Do we maybe want to talk to DMNS at all?

8. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    DMNS? ?[face_plain]

9. Jedi_Pilot

Feb 7, 2002
    Denver Museum of Nature and Science, Naturally. :D

10. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    The director there is an elitist wench, she's the one who cancelled the laser shows, because "they brought an unwelcome element to the museum." I can't imagine they even have the right equipment to show the 120min films. And unless they have that equipment, LFL won't contract w/ them.

11. Jedi_Pilot

Feb 7, 2002
    Ah, she must mean me then, cause I liked the laser shows. (amongst other things.)

12. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    lol @ terry being an "unwelcome element" :D

13. Jedi_Pilot

Feb 7, 2002
    Well, you know us engineering types, we cut loose and the next thing you know flashlights are being re-wired into lightsabers and tosters into minature Death Stars. (or speeders, whichever is more useful. :D)

14. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    lmao! you troublemaker!

15. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    As for T-Shirts I can work on a really snazzy design for it. Something simple but so in your face RMFF. You'll all love it :D

I'm working on one that is going to look pretty cool.

And what if we could cut a deal to get that x-wing they've got in the museum on location? It will be an officially sanctioned event. I think it would be pretty cool to have in the lobby of the theater an x-wing sitting there. People would freak!

I say we try and make this the biggest and best event. I've got the blessings of my teachers to miss that day. I only have two classes anyway. :p I can try and get some people up here involved. I know of several people who may be interested.

And as for having it in the springs, it would be awsome! The Imax there has lots of space for stuff to be held, and from what I have heard the manager is pretty cool (but then again I could be mistaken.) I could get in contact with the clearchannel guy who contacted me about the screening of AOTC. He could get the radio stations involved as well. Very cool.

I also think that we work on some display or something that we could maybe auction off for charity. (We are gonna have to get charity involved in this, as long as it's ok with LFL ;) ) Or that may be kinda hard to pull, instead we could do the whole auction off a character thing. So a person gets to have a costumed person accompany them around for the day, get their picture take etc...

I'm just shooting off ideas... so if I start to ramble ignore me. :D

16. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    I loved the laser shows, too. I'm undesireable". Heh. That's cool! [face_devil]

17. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    I think we just found our coordinator, guys! :D

Way to run w/ this, Sarah.

Let's get someone in the Springs to meet w/ the manager of that theatre and try to pin them down about having the movie at all. I'll see if we can't get Tim to trudge back into the waters @ UA to see if they might have it (but at this point I am fairly sceptical).

Sarah, as soon as you have a t-shirt design ready, post it on the website so everyone can see it and say yay or nay.

I'm waiting to hear back from Dave about their involvement and there aren't too many RLer's to contact either, I'll just post it on the boards there.

It does us no good to plan too much w/o knowing if they will even have the movie, but I plan to bug the hell out them until then.

18. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    Coordinator? :eek:

*Hides*

Hope you didn't mean me.... Hehe...

As for shirts, I've got a couple designs. One with... well I'll let you all see. It's actually a design I was going to use for the IO page, but it will work even better on a shirt. :D

Hehe...

19. cyodarun

cyodarun Retired RMFF CR star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I will be there no matter what.......

Will do what I can to help!

20. Jedi_Pilot

Feb 7, 2002
    I figured we better keep this up front since time is short. Anyway, The X-Wing is at Wings Along the Rockies and I don't know if it's theirs or if it's on loan from LFL. I do know it's big and probably a bear to move, but, if it's on loan from LFL and this whole thing is to be a sponsored event they might be willing to move it temporarily.

21. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    someone know where I can get a good solid-colored imp logo and rebel logo? I'm not seeing it on tfn's multimedia stuff.

22. Obi_Wannabe

Obi_Wannabe Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 17, 2002
    They're on the way.

23. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    sweet, thanks!

24. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    We found out for sure that PHX is going to get it. Have you had any luck finding out for Denver?

25. JediDragon

Mar 11, 2002
    I think it looks like our best bet is Cinemark 16 in Colorado Springs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.