main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Official Saga 3D Thread!!!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by obi-rob-kenobi4, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Mond

Mond Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 21, 2009
    Just to play devil's advocate here - Lucas at the time was speaking out against tampering with other people's movies without their say. He didn't say anything about playing around with one's own films. I don't see anything wrong with it either, really. He owns the damn things (and no, they don't "belong to the faaaans now!" or whatever).

2. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001

Bingo. I've seen one movie in 3D and vowed to never do it again. Not even Star Wars. I personally feel 3D is a gimmick and very difficult to watch. As much as I'd like to see the OT on the big screen one more time, if it has to be in 3D, I won't be standing in line. [face_worried]

3. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    I'm excited.

I'm not one who analyzes films for color, special effects, etc. I have no idea how it will work in practicality to put these films on 3D.

I just want my sons to be able to see Star Wars on the big screen like I did.

That being said, I don't like the "one movie per year" deal. I think they should release them one per month like they did the SEs in 1997.

4. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    I like how I make one sentence about how I'm disappointed they aren't starting with Episode IV and like ten people jump on me and start making all sorts of assumptions and attacks on me. Grow up guys. The fact is most people in the world would prefer to see Star Wars rather than Phantom Menace in 2012, so just learn to deal with different preferences.

5. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    I am as big of a prequel lover that there is. But even I think this is a bad business decision to release TPM first. With the fact that one is being release PER year, its just not a smart move. They should have released them in original release order.

If they were releasing them a few weeks apart like they did in 97 for the SE's, then it would be awesome for them to be released 1-6, and it prolly wouldn't hurt a thing. But to release TPM first with only one per year is a mistake. I think it could kill the excitement and hurt B.O. And potentially hinder the chances to get all 6 done. What if 1 and 2 flop?

Sorry guys, I love the PT, but I still have to acknowedge the fact that there aren't many people like me that have the samelove and adoration for the PT.

6. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    The fact is I can't wait for this.

7. Juan-King

Juan-King Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 24, 2004

like he did with Return of the Jedi .

8. ATMachine

ATMachine Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2007
    The thing is, I don't think it's a business decision at all. I think it's actually a deliberate creative decision on George's part. He's trying to make people accept his current conception of SW as a six-film saga. As Lucas sees it today, the six films of SW fit together not as two related trilogies, but as one overall epic, the "Tragedy of Darth Vader."

Re-releasing the six films in order by episode number is surely a move designed to foster Lucas' revisionist history in the public consciousness. (There's also the forthcoming Blu-Ray "Saga" box set, which to a lesser degree perpetuates the same notion.)

By emphasizing the episode numbering over actual production order, Lucas is ignoring the concrete, documentable history of SW. The OT wasn't always seen as the second half of a firmly united six-part saga. There was a period where it was envisioned as the "middle trilogy" of three different SW trilogies, each of which would focus on a different time period, different themes, and different heroes. (And even after Lucas started thinking about making prequels, he didn't always assume that the whole Saga would be about Anakin--until he started writing TPM, he'd assumed that the prequel trilogy would focus on Obi-Wan as the main character.)

With this 3D release, Lucas is presenting the OT as merely part of a greater Saga, but he's being deliberately disingenuous in historical terms.

9. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    I dont like this announcement. I was happy to hear about the blu-ray release because i was thinking 'finally! a final addition! any updates they are going to do will be on this release"

but now they are going to have a 3d release after the blu-ray. And you know they are going to have to add MORE tweaks and effects so people would have a reason to see it (outside of it just being 3d)

So is blu-ray just gonna be SE on Blu-Ray? boooo

10. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    I agree! Being a theatre manager myself, I actually think this is a better business decision than releasing the OT first. I know plenty of people who like the PT better because they grew up on the PT. My wife likes the PT more than the OT. I happen to like the entire saga about evenly. Episode One did well in 1999 when it was released due to repeat viewings from fans who actually liked the movie (I saw it about 9 times), and it will do well in 3D. If anything, the PT will slowly build up the hype even more for the OT when it is released. I'm excited because we are about to enter another era of Star Wars mania for the next 6-7 years!

11. Mond

Mond Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 21, 2009
    Calm down, bruiser. You're entitled to your opinion - I personally don't care what order they're released in. I just thought the predictability of the reaction was funny. Didn't mean to hurt your feelings or whatever.

Well, I saw The Phantom Menace a zillion times in the theater myself, and if I had to go by my surrounding moviegoers at the time, as well as some conversations I had with various children back then, I'd have to say that a substaintial chunk of TPM's business resulted from young kids seeing it over and over and dragging their parents with them. :D

12. Captain_Typho

Jul 30, 2003
    For those of you expressing concerns over the 2D to 3D conversion process, let me first say that after Clash of the Titans and Last Airbender, we all have the right to be concerned, but perhaps this snippet from the USA Today article will calm a few fears....

The fact that they are taking the time to make sure it is done right puts my mind at ease, and the fact that they have a veteran like John Knoll overseeing the conversion puts my mind at ease even more. Don't expect this to be like Clash of the Titans where they are converted it to 3D overnight. That's why there is no definitive timeline for release, because Knoll, Lucas, the fans, and everyone else wants to make sure it is done right.

13. Captain_Typho

Jul 30, 2003
    Exactly. I was 15-16 at the time, and I did make a point of dragging parents to see it over and over again. I don't think it will be any different this time. We have a whole new generation of Star Wars fans who are growing up on the clone wars cartoons and they are going to be just as excited about TPM in theatres as I was back then.

14. Corruptor

Corruptor Jedi Master

Mar 27, 2002
    Wow, the Saga in 3D and Star Tours II in 3D.....

Can't wait.

15. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Exciting news. Theatrical Star Wars on the Big Screen is always exciting. :D

Regaring the timing, I suspect all three Prequel movies will be released in 2012. AOTC and ROTS should be the easiest to convert, given they were shot digitally - If they have got the technology to convert TPM they should be able to go AOTH and ROTS quite easily.

Of course the OT is much, much harder, so who know how long after the PT we'll have to wait?

16. BaronLandoCalrissian

BaronLandoCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2006
    Knoll has stated the prequels will be harder to convert because there is more stuff going on in the frame and more movement overall. Either way, we'll finally get to go to a theater and see the creepy combination of 3rd grade boys and adult weirdos that comprise the current Star Warsies in real life!

17. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    [face_praying] [face_praying] [face_praying]
    TPM 3D 2012
    AOTC 3D 2013
    ROTS 3D 2014
    ANH 3D 2015
    ESB 3D 2016
    ROTJ 3D 2017
    [face_praying] [face_praying] [face_praying]

18. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    I support the notion of releasing them in chronological order.
    Think of all those kids that are fans of The Clone Wars that have yet to see a live-action Star Wars movie. By 2012 TCW's final fifth season would air (unless plans change) and what better way to start off the Saga to them by showing how their main heroes (Anakin, Obi Wan, Padmé, Mace, Yoda, Jar Jar, C-3PO, R2-D2) first met, how their lives were before the galactic war started and which foes they had to face?

19. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    Yes. Exactly what Captain_Typho sed.

Also this release is not "butchering" any classical historic whatever, because...

1.)Any more changes/fixes for the saga have already been decided on for the blu-ray release next year.

2.)All its basically going to be is taking what we already see and giving you the opportunity to see it out on the big screen with family/friends.

The target audience for this is going to be the casual families that will take there kids to see it for the first time. I think the point is that this time because of the 3D technology the special effects will be shown off and in your face like never before and it will be exciting and epic for kids and yet still remembered and beloved classics for most adults. So it will bring in a whole new generation of fans. IMHO its a nice thing, a positive thing.

20. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I'm in for the 3D releases in chronological order. I also want some more theatrical releases of Clone Wars movies.

ANH is my favorite Star Wars film, but I'm willing to bet that ESB looks best in 3D. Those two will make enough box office to pay for the entire 3D release project, whether or not anyone can be coaxed back into theaters for Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones.

And I'll definitely buy a 3D tv just for the saga.

21. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I find that surprising. You'd think the original movie would be harder to convert. Just goes to show you....

Jabba, now, I'm a dedicated Star Wars fan, but buy a 3D tele just for Star Wars? I don't think so.[face_shame_on_you]

22. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    The reason I decided to buy a PS3, two years ago, was to be prepared for the eventual blu-ray release of the entire saga. So I'm with Jabba -- I will probably buy a 3D tv at some point in the next year or so to be prepared for the eventual 3D release of the films.

23. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Oh, I'm thrilled! I've loved theatrical 3D since its early-80s heyday (F13-3D, Parasite, Metalstorm, etc.), and I'm extremely excited that SW is finally getting the treatment -- whatever order LFL decides to release them in.

Like Zombie, I would prefer to see 'ANH'-3D first, since to me and fans of my generation that is the first, original SW film. But I'm cool with TPM coming out first -- the podracing and the lightsaber battle alone will be worth the inflated ticket price! Also, the longer they take to convert the other films, the better the process will get, the more the kinks will be worked out, and the more amazing the finished product is likely to be.

(On the downside, Jar Jar stepping in crap will be all the more heinous in three dimensions. [face_sick]) :p

24. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Given the caveat of the time value of money and the advantage ROTJ will have over The Phantom Menace, let me be among the first to declare that ANH will have the best opening weekend of any of the 6 3D releases in unadjusted dollars.

In general, I can't wait to see how the prequels stack up against the originals in a fair box office fight.

25. venepe

venepe Jedi Master star 1

Feb 25, 2004
    YES!! Releasing the PT first is a better business decision. Sure ANH 3D will generate lots of money. But by the time the PT gets released it would be too late to capture the demographic that is currently following TCW series. That audience has a "short attention span" but the ANH fans are lifetime fans.