main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official STAR WARS GALAXIES: THE RUINS OF DANTOOINE Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Dec 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Am I the only one who still wishes Escape from Dagu was released instead of this video game(crappy video game) spin-off?

I would have preferred EfD, but this isn't too bad.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm about three chapters in now, and it's certainly got some fun references- my favorite being Mistflier's comment to Lando about "Who in their right mind would gamble away a ship?" and his reaction to it- lol!

Though the Hoth reference kinda irked me, since it's suppsoed to be so remote and all- were Tauntauns even known about until the Rebels scouted Hoth?

Great having an Ithorian in a larger role too.

And on I go...

3. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Sounds like you guys are enjoying it. Ill be picking it up tomorrow since Im off from work.

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    This is sounding like a Legacy of the Jedi book to me.

That too was about the same length, same print size, near unavailable in the UK save for Amazon and not on my hit list, until I had read several good reviews of it.

Will I buy it? Depends on what you lot make of it really.

JB

5. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Well I wouldn't compare a kids book(LOTJ) to what is billed to be an adult novel...

Kids novels, naturally have less pages than an adult novel in most cases...

6. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    My store doesn't have it yet. :( Oh well, I have plenty of reading to keep me busy until then.

These reations are getting me pretty pumped up for the book. Sounds like it'll be good!

7. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Anyone read the Starcraft books? Is Ruins similar to those, in terms of page print, length, cover fronts from game box covers?

8. ElegosAKla

ElegosAKla Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 21, 2003
    What's this i hear about an Ithorian having a greater role?

9. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Also notice the Ithorian's name. Nadon. I wonder if he's related to Momaw?

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Mistflier's scientific partner (and psuedo father figure, to a degree, from what I can tell from the first few chapters) is an Ithorian.

11. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    He is a pretty interesting character. It's kind of strange for an Ithorian to be an Imperial scientist, but he is an expert in his field.

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Obviously you've never seen the Harry Potter or Dark Materials tomes Val. ;)

It's not a comparison though, it's a likening, based on general type of book and availability.

JB

13. DarthRotten

DarthRotten Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 24, 2003
    It doesn't sound bad and I'm sure I'll read it, but why did they make a novel out of this game and not the Dark Reaper Arc of the Clone Wars game or Knights of the Old Republic. Those would be awesome!

14. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    LFL is making a huge deal about Galaxies so they probably want to push it as hard as they can.

15. Darth_Arthas

Darth_Arthas Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2002
    So does the book look like the start of a series of books?

16. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    "Obviously you've never seen the Harry Potter or Dark Materials tomes Val."

Sure I do, that's why I said children's novels do not have as many pages, in most cases.

Also it always seemed to me that "Adult Novels" are advertised to a slightly narrower audience, compared to children's novels.

17. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    It's possible that there will be more Star Wars Galaxies, maybe being released with every new expantion? Who knows?

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I could see them having a novel to cover a handful of planets in SWG as new ones become available in the space expansion, with some overlap of familar ground- say "Trials of Tatooine", "Legacy on Lok", etc.

19. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    I'd rather see a KOTOR novelisation---but a genuine one, with full cover art, standard print format, and of course, paperback-class.

It works both ways: the game buyers, small and select audience that they are, are sure to get the book; and the average reader may even get interested in the game itself. $$ both ways.

But that will never happen---so a full 170-page TPB comic will have to do. Better medium with comic buyers.

20. burrie

burrie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2000
    I like the sound of that, Excellence :D

21. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    I could live with a 170 page TPB KOTOR. :D

22. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    But think of the confusion between that and the other KOTOR comic TPB! :eek: ;)

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They'd have to title it "Tales of the Knights of the Old Republic" ... [face_batting]

24. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    That would be really confusing. :D

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, I'm about half way done with the book now, and I'm definitely liking the adventure feel to the book, what with all the planet hopping and everything.

Also, I just got past Nym's cameo and it is certainly refreshing to have the character brought into the classic era- you can just hear Charlie Rocket's voice in your head as Nym when reading the lines.

I've always felt Nym (alongside Quinlan and Aayla) had the best prequel-era EU storylines, so it's great to have him in an expanded role. Hopefully we'll get to see more of what kind of role he played during the Galactic Civil War sometime soon.

(Now, all we need is for him to show up during the Clone Wars!)

One small detail nitpick though- Nym always seemed to be blue in Starfighter, Jedi Starfighter and Starfighter: Crossbones, meanwhile he had pinkish skin in Single Cell and now ROD describes him as having green skin. Do Feorrins just have some kind of skin color changing attribute or something?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.