main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official STAR WARS GALAXIES: THE RUINS OF DANTOOINE Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Dec 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    > 2ndQuest, have you finished RoD? <<

Not yet, a little over half way done so far- I've been taking it at a slower pace than usual, about 1 or 2 chapters a day, since lately I've only had about 30 minutes to an hour to read.

2. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    I've got it, and I am just about 100 pages into the novel. It started off pretty strong - I liked the Vader moments. But then it sort of faded when Dusque went out looking for samples. I don?t much like Finn ? something about him rubs me wrong. I won?t be too surprised if I find out that he?s really the Inquisitors? agent. The cameo by Lando felt a little forced, but he and other previously existing characters are pretty well in character.

3. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    I picked it up today and will probably start it on Monday after work. It'll only take me a few days to read it so Ill be back with a review by midweek.

4. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    It's okay thus far, but then again, I wasn't expecting much out of it.

5. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    It's okay thus far, but then again, I wasn't expecting much out of it.

I thought the same thing. Maybe that is why I enjoyed it so much.

6. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    The same with me. It was a good book for the not-very high expectations I had for it.

7. burrie

burrie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2000
    Another question(if it was answered before, please keep the beating to a minimum ;) ), is this a stand-alone book, or could it possibly be the start of a series? Does the story leave various plots hanging open where a sequel might be necessary, or is the ending pretty closed?

8. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    It leaves some threads hanging.

9. O-B-GATES

O-B-GATES Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2003
  10. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    So...just HOW big is the print in RoD????

11. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Burrie- the ending is opening. Dusque says something to the effect of when she and Finn meet again, the Alliance will know who they really are. This could be a segway to a series or to possible short stories in Star Wars Insider.

12. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Im about 100 pages into. Its okay so far.

13. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Just finished it about an hour ago. I zipped through it in less than three days, but that isnt necassarily a good thing. This is probably the most generic SW book that Ive ever read, complete with cookie cutter characters and a rather flimsy plot. I think a book like this would have been much better suited as a young adult novel rather than part of the usual rotation that we're all used to.

3 / 10

14. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Two things:

1) most predictable "plot twist" ever - Isaw that coming after about 75 pages
    2) Dusque is the EU version of Kim Bauer (but noone is as dumb as good old Kim)

15. recurit03

recurit03 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 3, 2003
    Usually I dont like books such as Ruin but I was suprised that I actually enjoyed reading this book. The characters where card board cut outs but what made this book a good read for me was the various widelife and the backgrounds of which the characters where in, Also I found the cameos to be well done (except Lando's). I actually enjoyed the "Hammerhead" Character before he died lol.

16. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    This book isn't that great... reads like a computer game, which is predictable.

17. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    reads like a computer game

My thoughts exactly. Each chapter was like a different level where Dusque had to avoid some deadly monster in order to keep going. Even when she was changing clothes and weapons it felt like I was reading the script for a cut scene in a game.

18. recurit03

recurit03 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 3, 2003
    Story Taken from a computer game = Story that reads like a computer game

19. PunishingOne

PunishingOne Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2003
    I was at the mall over the weekend and I saw Ruins and decided to give it a shot. I only really bought it because it does actually fit into the Star Wars EU. If it was some stand alone game companion then I wouldn't have wasted my 8 bucks. I'm in the middle of reading another book, so Ruins is going to have to wait. I read the prologue just to get a feel and it seemed okay. It can't be any worse than Tales From The Empire & Republic.

20. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Something tells me that Dusque isnt nearly as hot as Kim Bauer... [face_mischief]

21. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    I don't watch 24, but if you're referring to the Keiffer Southerland character's daughter: Dude, she's not that hot. [face_plain]

22. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Ever see her layout in Maxim ? Mayhap that'd change your mind...

23. PunishingOne

PunishingOne Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2003
    The actress that plays Kim Bauer (I can't remember her name) looks the best in Old School when they show her layed out the bed. This season she looks terrible. The fact that she plays a complete moron every season only makes me loathe her more.

24. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    Elisha Cuthbert is her name. She doesn't look that great this year. She looked better in the first 2 seasons.

She's still just as dumb, if not dumber though. I can't believe I was taking her word over Tony's :p

25. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    The actress that plays Kim Bauer (I can't remember her name) looks the best in Old School when they show her layed out the bed.

Wait a second! She was the boss' daughter in Old School? Maybe I might change my mind... [face_mischief]

I'll have to see it again, mind you, but... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.