main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~The Official Star Wars Mary Sue Litmus Test~

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Discorpor8, Mar 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    Lemme run Kala through this. Can someone help me score this?

Category 1: What's in a name?

9. Does your character's name mean something like "Beautiful", "Dances with dewbacks", et cetera? no, I named her after someone I know

Category 2: I am your father. And your uncle. And your half-brother. And your second cousin's best friend's grandmother's former roommate.

11. Is your character closely related to any major figure in the Star Wars saga? Tenel Ka's adoptive daughter. Does that count?
    13. Is she a hitherto unknown sibling of Anakin, Luke/Leia, Anakin/Jacen/Jaina, Ben, or Obi-Wan? no, though she and Allana consider each other half-sisters
    17. Or, does your character not have any family, and is adopted by the Jedi Order because of her OMGMagickal Force powers? She has few aunts and a grandma, is adopted by ex-Jedi, not Force-sensitive. How many points is that?

Category 4: You're so...beautiful.

39. Does your character look to be in her mid-twenties or teens for no reason? yes
    40. Is this a plot point? She gets manipulated and twisted easily because of her naivete and vulnerability. Does that count?

Category 5: All you need is, what you want is, all you need is love...

54. Thus, does your fic end with a poofy white double shotgun wedding attended by the entire Jedi Order? no, but I'm thinking about having someone crash a random wedding that she attends in the middle of the fic.

2. Eleventh_Guard

Eleventh_Guard Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2005
    I think if she IS in her teens/twenties then it's okay; it's if she's 8 and looks 14, or 40 and can pass for 20, then that's a problem.

3. SpiritofEowyn

SpiritofEowyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    This list was soo funny! I want to see a Hutt that Luke/Jacen/ Han whatever other main 'hot' guy falls over. He he. Han leaving Leia for a Hutt! Jabba's sister![face_laugh] That would be some dang good fic!

My poor OC girls. I always make a point of making them less attractive than the people around them. Besides Kasrit, my other OCs are guaranteed no loving. They can like guys, but unrequited is the closest they're getting. Hey, if I'm not getting any, they have no right to. :p No Love interests for main guys, euw. No relation to main characters for Ocs!

I think the most my OCs got on this list was a 4. I fear to read the ones with 60 up! EEK!

4. SoloFel_RebelGirl

SoloFel_RebelGirl Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 26, 2005
    My Skylam only got a 2. And that was because she's a Jedi whose full name is Skylam Solo Fel. :D

Someone already brought this up, but what if your OC is a Chiss? 'Cause I've got one, and her name is over ten letters long and she's shortened it because it's pretty unpronouncable.

~Rebel

5. InyriForge

InyriForge Jedi Master star 5

Jan 24, 2002
    ROTFLMAO! This is great! *dies*

And if anyone does write an angst fic using a Weird Al song, send me your fic, too! I beg you!

~Inyri

6. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    I scored a zero or a one. If my character's name means "snow," is that as bad as "beautiful"? :p

38. Are there lots of hijinks where our plucky young heroine introduces Earth stuff to the Jedi, such as rapping, Truth or Dare, or the Avenue Q soundtrack?

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] If someone wrote a fic where the entire Jedi Order burst out into song with Everyone's a little bit racist todaaaaaaay, I think I would die from laughing!

7. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Wow, Liara Khe only has one!

8. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Is there a Gary Stu litmus test floating around somewhere too? I don't think I even have any female OC's :p

9. Eleventh_Guard

Dec 17, 2005
    www.springhole.net/quizzes/marysue.htm has a generic one that I find useful, if quite strict.

As for the others, just change the gender on the questions, and substitute females for males if pairing the character is part of the question. (Padme, Aayla, Leia, Mara, Tahiri, Tenel Ka, Jaina, Alema, etc.) ?

10. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    Oho, that one is pretty strict.
    Kayary scored a full 23 there, mostly for ending up with a man later...

But Lanna also got away with only 29 points (border to 'scrap it is 31). I hope this means I'm not a MarySue.[face_laugh]

11. Eleventh_Guard

Dec 17, 2005
    My Baclaw girls in their latest incarnation, since I recycle OCs a LOT, both passed the strict test with scores in the 12-14 range. Even though one had Welk's baby. :eek: But that's really the only Sue thing going for her and since I don't particularly like Welk, it didn't count for a whole lot. Had it been Jacen that would be another story. And is. [face_plain]

They didn't get any points on this test. *yay*

12. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    Rise Lord Thread, Rise!

13. JadeSeraph

JadeSeraph Jedi Youngling

Jun 1, 2007
    Thread-necroing! [face_laugh]

I wonder if it's possible to create a character that scores 70+...

14. Azeria_Jade

Azeria_Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 3, 2001
    16 points... Should I be worried for her?

Someone should certainly try to write a fic with a Mary Su based on this grading system. :p

15. Space_Wolf

Space_Wolf Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2007
    My OC passed! Yay! Answered NO to every question. I he'd better, though, considering he's male. That last question:

Brought a bunch of images to mind that I DON'T want to have there again. (YUCK!)

16. Minela

Minela Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2005
    I passed! I passed! I passed![face_dancing]

Or did I?

Three is not too bad...[face_worried], right?

Actually, it was two and a half. :-B

17. Minela

Apr 28, 2005
    GARY STUE, you better watch out!

Category 1: What's in a name?

1. Is your character's last name Skywaker, Fett, Kenobi, Jinn, Dooku, or Solo?
    2. Is your character's name more than 10 letters long?
    3. Are more than 50% of said letters consonants?
    4. Is there more than 1 apostrophe in your character's name?
    5. Does your character have a cutesy nickname to shorten typing out his real, unpronounceable name?
    6. Was this nickname given to him by Padme, Mara Jade, Siri, Leia, or any of the major cannon hotties?
    7. Or did your character give himself his own name "so he wouldn't forget"?
    8. Is the title of the fic a reference to the badd assness/power of your character?
    9. Does your character's name mean something like "Warrior", "Battles with rancors", et cetera?
    10. Do other characters know this and comment on how OMG so cool or unique his name is?
    11. Is your character named for a different fantasy/sci-fi character, such as Arthur Pandragon, Aragon, or Hercules?
    12. Is it a variation on an Earth name with more apostrophes, weird spelling, or adding of hyphens (e.g. Jocelyn becomes Jo-c'lyn, Amy becomes Aemmiye, etc.)?

Category 2: I am your father. And your uncle. And your half-brother. And your second cousin's best friend's grandmother's former roommate.

11. Is your character closely related to any major figure in the Star Wars saga, as in immediate family?
    12. Is he Jango's hitherto unknown unaltered clone (except for genetically enhanced strength, and infused midichlorians)?
    13. Is he a hitherto unknown sibling of Anakin, Luke/Leia, Anakin/Jacen/Jaina, Ben, or Obi-Wan?
    14. Is he the offspring of Obi-Wan and Siri, Leia and Han, Luke and Mara, or Anakin and Padme?
    15. Palpatine's more-powerful-than-Anakin son who goes to the light due to a realization that the Jedi are right and his dad is wrong and than goes off battling Anakin and wins and brings back the Jedi order or saves everybody from Order 66?
    16. If your character is in any way related to Jabba, Tarkin, or Yoda, you are excused from this test. Go forth and write.
    17. Or, does your character not have any family, and is adopted by the Jedi Order because of her OMGMagickal Chosen One Force powers?
    18. Is he Qui-Gon's new Padawan instead of Anakin/Obi-Wan?
    19. Does powerful Jedi Master/Sith Lord of Your Choice raise him "as his child"?
    20. Does he turn on said father figure causing major angst and a Dual of the Faiths, endangering the entire Galaxy?
    21. Is there a lot of tension in your character's family because he wants to be a Jedi/Sith/Imperial/Rebel/Pilot (Podracer, TIE, or X-Wing)/Gas Station Attendant?
    22. Is this all solved when he runs away leaving death and destruction behind or convinces them that we all should just follow our dreams?

Category 3: Be mindful of your plot, Anakin. It betrays you.

21. Does the plot mainly involve your character battling evil/good with his awesome powers that nobody can match?
    22. Does your character at first join the Jedi, than the Sith/Sith than Jedi?
    23. Is your character a Sith or an Imperial who comes to the light via some sweet luvin' with the hottie of your choice?
    24. Does the tension of being an enemy with said hotttie provide for plenty of Dual of the Faith style battles that again endanger the entire Galaxy?
    25. You are excused from this test if you use a song by Britney Spears or Maraiah Cary to convey the shear awsomness of your power over entire Galaxy.
    26. Is your character a Jedi with some kind of "speshul" power, like teleportation, Force lightning, any other predominantly Sith power, or shapeshifting?
    27. If your character is a Sith, is he really, really ridiculously good looking?
    28. Does he lure Leia, Siri, Padme, etc to the Dark Side with said sexiness?
    29. With exessive adverse effects regarding a really really pissed-off Jedi Order, that makes them go to war with your OC and his hottie of choice?
    30. Because the Jedi all hate and fear his conniving ways and proficiency in the Force, and think h

18. Darth_Manion

Darth_Manion Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 5, 2007
    Hrmmm, better try this one out on a couple of my male OCs...

Dr. Yen Durmound-

2. Is your character's name more than 10 letters long? Yes (does the title count, too?)
    3. Are more than 50% of said letters consonants? Yes
    15. Palpatine's more-powerful-than-Anakin son who goes to the light due to a realization that the Jedi are right and his dad is wrong and than goes off battling Anakin and wins and brings back the Jedi order or saves everybody from Order 66? HA! I think not. This guy is a heartless Jedi-killer.
    21. Is there a lot of tension in your character's family because he wants to be a Jedi/Sith/Imperial/Rebel/Pilot (Podracer, TIE, or X-Wing)/Gas Station Attendant? More like he ignored his family to join the Imperial Navy, but whatever.
    33. Does he save the day repeatedly because he knows what's going to happen? Actually, he knows what's going to happen, and does nothing about it. What can I say? He's a paper-pushing clock-puncher. It's nothing personal, it's just Galactic Domination.
    34. Or, does he get convenient amnesia, which creates much angsting that he "should have known"? Well, after working on some paperwork for the Hammertong project, he gets portions of his memory erased, but he couldn't care less.
    40. Do CDs suddenly work in whatever people in SW use to play music? I think not. As they said it in Spaceballs, "Even in the future nothing works!"
    50. Is your character a high-level (as in Yoda, Mace, or Obi-Wan) councilmember and/or ridiculously empowered (think Anakin) Jedi? Let's just say he's so powerful he can audit you with a single tax form, carted off to a secret Imperial prision with a simple command, or have you shot on sight with an armed guard, if he cared enough about the Empire to do so. Which he doesn't.
    57. Does your character tragically die saving the Galaxy? No, I'm actually thinking of killing him off while tragically choking on an under-cooked nerf-burger.

Basically, Durmound is a boring, stuffy, Imperial data-clerk. Almost like an extra from The Office that wandered into Imperial Command. He's killed one guy. He's got no family or friends. And he doesn't give a Force about anyone. He scored a two and a half (And that half is a stretch.)

OH MY GOSH, He's the ANTI-STU! The end is nigh!

19. Space_Wolf

Space_Wolf Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2007
    Having retaken that test, cos it's now tailored for Gary Stus, my character still only answers yes to one of those (that's the second one about how many constants are in his name.) So yea, he still is not a Gary Spew........

20. Minela

Apr 28, 2005
    Darth_Manion, I wanna read that story! :D

21. Kevin_Solo

Kevin_Solo Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 22, 2007
    36. Is your character really really ridiculously good looking?

I don't see why this should be a problem, as the main human characters in the SW universe are very good looking anyway, except for evil ones like Palpatine and Vader; so this should cancel out the effect of any 'ridiculously good looking' Mary Sues. Unless, of course, they want to have a romance with Palpatine. Even evil characters need love too! [face_laugh]

38. Are there lots of hijinks where our plucky young heroine introduces modern Earth stuff to the Jedi, such as rapping, Truth or Dare, or the Avenue Q soundtrack?

What is needed is for the Earth traveller to introduce Earth stuff that becomes a hit throughout the entire SW galaxy. Such a story might read something like this, set around ESB:

The music the young Earth visitor introduced had gone around the galaxy like a plague, particularly the type of music called 'disco'. Everyone was obsessed by it, dancing the dances, and listening to and singing the lyrics. Rebel or Imperial, it made no difference; all were entranced by disco.

In her room in the Rebel base on Hoth, Princess Leia Organa silently cursed the four brown-skinned, red-clad female human figures gyrating and singing on her holovid projector. While part of her detested her addiction, this group had a song which spoke to her about her feelings towards a certain Corellian smuggler, though she would never admit it to him. Of particular impact were the lyrics:

I really wasn't carin' but I felt my eyes starin'
    At a guy who stuck out in the crowd
    He had the kind of body that would shame Adonis
    And a face that would make any man proud

By a remarkable coincidence, available to writers of fan fiction, in another part of the galaxy the Emperor Palpatine was watching a holovid recording of the same group performing the same song. When they had finished praising an unknown male as 'the greatest dancer' they had ever seen, Palpatine looked down from his throne at Darth Vader. 'What do you think of them, my servant?' he asked.

'They are very attractive and sing very well, my master'.

'I agree. I want you to contact this group 'Sister Sledge', and make them a generous offer to tour this galaxy'.

Vader was astounded, and because of this extremely uneasy. Had the Emperor gone mad? Or were his moods becoming unpredictable? Things were becoming very dangerous, if that was the case.

Palpatine smiled in a patronising manner that made Vader even more uneasy. 'You fail, Lord Vader, to comprehend the problem of defeating the Rebels. They have a young, good looking image, reflected in many of their leaders. The Empire, on the other hand, has this one'. He pointed to his own face. 'I am old, with a white, wrinkled face. And you', he pointed to Vader, 'while younger, are more machine than man. It is a far cry from the time the Jedi Temple was besieged with women who screamed every time the young Anakin Skywalker showed himself. Now, whenever you strangle anyone, you are suspected and accused of compensating for something you have lost, though no one knows your old identity'.

Vader knew that the Emperor was right. While a faithful, loving husband to Padme, he had liked the attention. This had led to resentment from the Jedi Order, who couldn't get any proper business done due to all the screaming. 'So this group on tour will improve our image, showing that we still appreciate good looking women, my master'.

'Precisely'.

Vader was deeply impressed by this plan. 'They will tour this galaxy or die', he promised.

22. Earthknight

Earthknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    I don't know. I think I'm kind of cruel to some of my OCs. All those questions sound like life of luxery, which is something I don't give my OCs :p .

23. Minela

Apr 28, 2005
    I think it is important to let your OC fail at a quest, that automatically redeems them of the Mary Sue/Gary Stu status.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.