main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Official StarWars.com Blog Thread - That's right, I went there

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 24, 2013.

1. JMM

JMM Author: The Forgotten War, SW Fact File star 3 VIP

Jul 9, 1998
    I love how these articles toss out very interesting new details in the captions alone:
    "'Lando's Commandos' consisted of a rotating assemblage of scoundrels, including the Tonnika sisters and veterans of the Battle of Taanab."

2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Hilariously enough those would be the Taanab system militia pilots he insulted outright when he recounted that battle to Voren. Unless of course he brought along a few of those Norulac freebooter guys (who he also claimed would be hard pressed to fly in a straight line). [face_thinking]

3. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
  4. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I only skimmed it, but at least it confirms that the 8,000 meters figure was a load of baloney from the beginning, based on the intended scale of the Brass Star Destroyer. I had never heard of the Brass Star Destroyer before, so I found that very interesting.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Merging with the TOS Blog thread.

edit: HAH! Despite being around during the height of the SSD length controversies on these boards, I didn't realize that the 8km length was actually pre-WEG. All those years of people heaping scorn on WEG when WEG was just using someone else's figures because they had to keep continuity...

edit2:
    Err... wasn't it the TOS databank that was the first source to put it at 12.8km? Pretty sure it was, because there were debates over whether the Databank counted as its own canon source or whether it was just a derivative source taking info from other canon sources.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  6. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Curtis Saxton even had that Encyclopedia figure on his site and commented that WEG didn't invent it.

People think the fan measurements just came out of nowhere, but it's hard to argue for the five mile length since it came from a probable misreading of the script, novel or the Empire Strikes Back Official Poster Monthly. All that was known (outside of ILM, that is) was that Vader's flagship was "larger and stronger than five ordinary Star Destroyers" and incidentally, there's five Star Destroyers with the Executor in the movie.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Wise! [face_laugh]

Better to invade Russia in winter than it is to start an SSD length debate, after all.

jSarek and Zeta1127 like this.
  8. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    So the US government shut down over debating SSD lengths actually... we know Obama is a Star Wars fan! All the other reasons are just secondary and a cover up like Roswell, landing on the moon and 9/11. :p

9. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Good God! Pablo just restarted the SSD Wars! :eek:[face_skull][face_devil]

So, if the model makers intentions are true canon, the SSD is only 13,469 meters long? Sweet Jesus...

--Adm. Nick

10. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    No kidding, and the Viscount and Strident-class Star Defenders are becoming just as controversial.

Indeed, General Winter is a pushover compared to length debates. I myself have even become rather opinionated on such matters.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    y'know, as much as I like the idea of intended movie scaling and all... I'm happy to let sleeping dogs lie at this point, because holy cow the mess that would ignite.

That said, maybe you should ask if there is a "rosetta stone" scalar model to measure Home One with. [​IMG]

Zeta1127 likes this.
  12. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    lets ask them what they intended for the Mon Cal cruisers and Home One :p

13. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Which ones, the ILMers that wanted 17,600 meters or the ones who made the ISD to scale? And I thought we couldn't use movie visuals for accuracy... :p

14. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    The blog comments on that thing are gonna be a nightmare.

Iron_lord and Zeta1127 like this.
  15. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    A nightmare indeed, people have already brought up Home One and the Tantive IV dramatic reversal retcon, though it has been civilized so far.

16. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    This is why I hate scaling. :p

Honest to God, at this point I just want LFL to decide on a scale for all ships and make it Gospel. Lord knows that between the various model makers, writers, novelists, and other folks that lengths are all over the place. I just want something set in stone at this point.

--Adm. Nick

17. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    The fun thing about the HO is that they made it CGI two years ago. It, the Nebulon-B, the Corellian corvette, the Gallofree transport. All in one shot, too. Wonder what direction the ILMers followed, because the HO cruisers look absolutely massive, next to those three. Closer to Saxton's estimates, even. [face_batting]

18. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

That would be me then and someone else ;)

19. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Yeah... Someone else...

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  20. JMM

JMM Author: The Forgotten War, SW Fact File star 3 VIP

Jul 9, 1998
    I never understood the interest in these numerical canon debates, but maybe, just maybe, we can consider the matter closed after this?

Naive? Maybe, but what other authority are we looking for here?

21. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    always two there are... ;)

22. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Ain't in the holocron. Yet. There's still the case of ILM's 17,6 km figure. I'd accept that before this. :p

Plus, he says it suggests the size in the article. I wonder what the scale of the ROTJ shot with the two ISDs would suggest?

You know, there was a time where I'd be in a blinding rage from someone calling Pablo Hidalgo an "authority". His handling of certain issues and fans is only slightly better than that of a certain CW-era author.

23. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Which will probably get changed by some other source at one point. Hence why LFL needs to issue a definitive statement and put the issue to rest. Like I said, I couldn't even care if they rescale all ships at this point. I just want a final, definitive set of numbers that LFL says is canon. That way we can all move on. :p

--Adm. Nick

24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    [​IMG]

So, you about done down there? You've got the internet back up and running after the SSD comments crashed it?

25. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I think that, in such a case, referring oneself to the maker's intentions to determine canon is both useless and tricky. To give you a single example: the Imperial rank plaques system. What was the maker's intention? None, or so little. John Mollo has freely admitted that no clear, regular system had been invented at all.

Same thing here with the Executor. Since its relative size seem to vary depending on what it is compared to--other destroyers or the DS--it seems pretty pointless to use the original makers' intent.