main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official Summer Challenge - Building Bridges - Winners Announced!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by red rose knight, May 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. red rose knight

red rose knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2001
    The Official Summer Challenge is here! We've decided to start celebrating the start of Summer (or Winter in some countries ;) ) early, and so we have decided to present to you this official challenge.

Topic: "Building Bridges" (we are aware that this topic of open to interpretation - that's the point ;)) However, you must include the following list of words-

Bantha

Red

Bite

Bowl

Speeder

Length: 2000 words tops.

Place to Post it: There is a thread in each forum (excluding the Classic forum), please post your story in the appropriate forum.

One story per era.

Before the Saga
    The Saga
    Beyond the Saga

Time Frame: The competition will run between the 1st and the 21st of June.

Prizes: VIP Colors

1st Place - One week
    2nd Place - 72 hours
    3rd Place - 48 hours

Judging: There are a number of judges of each forum. Please see here . They are not to be harrased, pestered or intimidated (or bribed :p) during the procedings. Anyone who does so will be immediately disqualified.

Questions: Please see any of the Fanfiction mods, or myself.

Kithera

2. Xaara

Xaara Jedi Master star 3

Jun 30, 2002
    Is there a limit on the number of stories that we're allowed to write? (In the past, I believe it was one story per time period.)

3. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    I added it to the post.

One story per era.

4. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    With a speedy edit... :p

And sorry, but a story called "The Bantha took a bite out of the red bowl that was sitting on the speeder" would only qualify if accompnied by a lot of unmarked 20$ bills...

5. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    Wow. I thought people were looking forward to this challenge....

maybe, it's just the weekend....

Kithera

6. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    It's a holiday weekend here in the states, Kit', so be patient, I'm sure we'll think of something. ;)

7. Drabbo_Fett

Drabbo_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2003
    I have my "Before the Saga" entry in. It is okay that I posted now instead of waiting for Tuesday, right? [I admit, the word list inspired me.]

8. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    Ok that is officially the weirdest thing I have seen for a challenge. How in all the Force-led universe did you pick any of that? Clearly I should hunt up some of the old summer challenges and see if it is just me being clueless or if this really is pretty out there.

I like the "likely to be disqualified" story though, Breezy. ;)

retiring in confusion
    KD

9. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Well, I don't know about anybody else, but my brain is still stuck over in HaiGan's Whodunnit thread, trying to figure out a crime, a perpetrator, a motive, and lots of clues. [face_frustrated] It's a bit hard for my little grey cells to switch over to thinking about the bantha which has taken a bite out of the red speeder that was parked over the narrow creek, connecting both banks as though it had been meant to build a non-bowl-shaped bridge there.

Edit: I just had a crazy thought about combining the two challenges and writing a mystery which incorporates those five words. If I should be able to manage this, (a really big IF here,) would I be allowed to post such a story in both places at once, or should I confine myself to one thread? [face_mischief]

10. CodyMonKenobi

CodyMonKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2001
    So do you have to write a story for it or can you just add it to a existing story?

11. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    You have to write your own story for this one.

If you like Jane, then yeah you can post it in two places...if you pulled it off (which I'm sure you can) that would certainly be very, very cool.

How did we come up with this challenge? Being up really late with multiple assignments for one mod, and dragging the two other mods out of bed far too early :p

Kithera

12. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I'll confess to the "Building bridges" part, but I'm pretty sure that Banthas and red bowls were NOT my idea! ;)

13. The_Jedi_Ambyr-Rose

The_Jedi_Ambyr-Rose Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    Question: Though I am a Beyond the Saga judge, can I submit a story for any of the three eras?

(Not that I intend to, I'm just wondering.)

14. kayladie97

kayladie97 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    A big plot bunny bit me for this one, Kit', it's just that this vote counting thing is consuming my life! :eek: [face_laugh]

Don't get me wrong, I'm really enjoying all of it, but I work all weekend long...12 hour shifts...at NIGHT! I'm spending an average of 2-3 hours a day on the nomination stuff; so between work, travel time TO work, the nominations, and about five hours sleep a day, that doesn't leave a whole lotta time for writing. :(

But I do intend to give it a shot. :D

@};- kayladie [face_flag]

15. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    I second Drabbo's question. Do we have to wait until Tuesday to post it?

Dana

16. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Nah, if you want to post it now go ahead :)

Kithera

17. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    That being said, I have the first entry into The Saga division. ;)

18. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Mine's up in "Beyond".

Dana

19. Jedi_Alman

Jedi_Alman Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Can this be written as a songfiction? If so, do the lyrics of the song count to the wordage maximum?

20. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    Is it just me or does it seem that not many people are doing this challenge?

I know it's only the 2nd but there are only two entries in before, one in the saga, and two in beyond. Weird.

21. CrystalKenobi

CrystalKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    I'm curious about the songfic question also.

I am going to try to but I am trying to get a story all the way written before posting by father's day, so thats is why I havn't jumped at it right away. But I am trying to think of something, I did have a song that might could be used for a story idea, but I have a feeling I'm not the only one who might have thought of a song. :)

22. Jedi_Alman

Apr 9, 2002
    I was planning on doing a songfic, then I changed my mind. I posted my story in the Beyond the Saga Thread. A very small plot bunny bit me for it, and it just kept growing until I had to cut it short at 1998 words.

23. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    Oops, sorry Jedi Alman, I missed your question the other day.

Song fics are okay but the lyrics count since they are part of the story. :)

24. Jedi_Alman

Apr 9, 2002
    Good to know :p

25. Kettch_the_Jedi

Kettch_the_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 22, 2002
    Yeah!! I posted mine here. I find the end of the story quite amusing, but then I have been accused of having a weird sense of humor. :)

I'm done writing the BYTS entry but still have to post that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.