main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The Official TARKIN by James Luceno Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sable_Hart, Apr 25, 2014.

1. boonjj

boonjj Jedi Master star 1

Jan 21, 2016
    Just reading through Tarkin atm and noticed that in chapter 10 Vader, Tarkin, and team, visit a "medcenter housing a shield generator" on the planet of Murkhana. This strongly appears to be the same building that Jedi Master Shryne and his team of clonetroopers infiltrated to destroy the shield generator in the novel The Rise of Darth Vader.

Also in Tarkin, Palpatine also makes mention that Murkhana was the planet in which Vader had one of his first "execution" assignments. In Rise of Darth Vader, Vader is sent to Murkhana to execute the remaining Jedi there (which includes Shyne and Starstone) who managed to survive after Order 66.

Thought this connection was pretty cool, especially since the novel Rise of Dath Vader is not canon.

2. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Luceno tends to ignore the "Legends" thing m, IIRC, because he wrote this novel very much as if "Dark Lord" was canon. Not a bad thing, mind you.

3. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

No, it's not. My belief that unless something is specifically contradicted by canon, it will remain canon until proven otherwise.

boonjj likes this.
  4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000

Two things:

I. The novel was originally written as a Legends book.

II. Luceno isn't the only one to refer to storylines from Legends stories, including his own. If it were a problem, it would've been removed in editing.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

5. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Right. But also, I thought I'd heard Luceno say one time that he really didn't care about the whole Legends/canon thing? I may be misremembering, but I thought I'd heard something like that.

6. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Luceno still made Tarkin very much a canon novel in that the Imperial Palace is in the former Jedi Temple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spicer likes this.
  7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Luceno, after the great decanonization, said he was going to keep writing as if it didn't happen. And if they ask him to change or tinker with something, he will (and when Tarkin came out, he said they didn't ask for any changed beyond normal editing).

Darkslayer, Revanfan1 and spicer like this.
  8. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I feel like Luceno tried to pull as many of his books into the new canon as possible - which is fine by me, lol

9. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Right. Inherited the throne at age 16 and received the generalship of Greece.

Caesar at 32 was governor-general of Spain.

Vlad Dracula was 17-20.

Nobunaga at 17.

Hideyoshi at 25?

Tokugawa at 13.

Hannibal became C-in-C at 26.

Napoleon became brigadier general at 26.

George Armstrong Custer was breveted Brigadier General at 22.

Some of three postions were hereditary, others merited. Even the hereditary ones were great generals.

TK-421 Is vader and Ghost like this.
  10. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I'm reading Tarkin, and Darth Vader's characterization is really bothering me. He doesn't really sound like himself at all, and all the things he says during the course of the novel feel out of character.

Sent from Hell--depending on whether or not it exists.

11. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    Question for you continuity buffs, does the text give any decent indication as to how old Tarkin was when he met Sheev for the first time?

12. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Tarkin is 19 when he is in the Outland Regions Security Force. After which, he goes to the Sullust Spacefarers Academy, which is when he meets Palpatine. So likely 20 or 21.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Huh. I posted a whole thing last night and it didn't take for some reason. Ah well. I finished this last weekend during Celebration after starting it last summer (school got in the way inbetween). It's a very unique book because it doesn't try to go too large scale despite dealing with the upper levels of power within the Empire, yet has a plot threat that has ramifications.

All in all, not Luceno's strongest novel but still pretty solid in general and nowhere near his weakest- it makes for a fast read with the investigative through-line and a good look at the early Empire coalescing.

I noticed this as well- generally not in his actions but in his words. The one exception being in page 107 (HC) where Vader helps Tarkin aboard the gunship by hand- and that's something I just cannot see Vader doing for anyone except maybe Palpatine. But I did like how it showed him to be intelligent during the investigation, so that part still tracked. It was just harder to reconcile the rest with Vader as a character (unlike Tarkin's new survivalist family trip background, which while very strange for the character can kinda be squinted around and not feel contradictory at least).

Since I started this book immediately after Lords of the Sith, it was refreshing to have such detailed class info on the shops being used during the opening chapters. I mean, it's Luceno so it's not surprising but LOTS was strange in how vague it was about the type of Star Destroyer the whole plot of the book revolved around. The whole battle room scenario in those opening chapters was rather excellent as well.

Also very cool to see the CIS Shadowfeed not only be referenced but turned into both a major plotpoint and a major part of Tarkin's war career.

Also on pg 107: the UT-AT's "Trident" nickname is canon again, w00t!! [face_dancing]

14. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    I'm listening to the audiobook. The narrator and Senator Palpatine both say Naboo is Outer Rim. Emperor Palpatine tells Vader that Coruscant, Naboo, Tatooine have much in common, including being in the same 30 degree arc. Mistake? Naboo is Mid Rim according to Star Wars Wikia. But since TARKIN is canon, is Naboo now canonically Outer Rim?

EDIT:

I just checked Star Wars.com. It says Naboo is close to the Outer Rim borders. I downloaded the THE ESSENTIAL ATLAS Online Companion PDF. It states Naboo is Mid Rim.

Shadowrain10 likes this.
  15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Are you sure? I seem to recall the gist of that conversation is that *Eriadu*, Naboo, and Tatooine were close: e.g., the homeworlds of Tarkin, Palpatine, and Vader.

But it's been actual years since I've read the book so I could be mistaken...

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

16. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Sorry. I should have said Eriadu, not Coruscant, Tatooine, and Naboo. I looked at the Map. Naboo is close to the border between the Mid Rim and the Outer Rim. Very close to Tatooine and Eriadu.

17. Kualan

Kualan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2008
    I agree with people's observations regarding Vader not sounding very 'Vadery', but this is mitigated when we consider that timeline-wise we're still in the shadow of ROTS, so Darth Vader arguably still has more of Anakin Skywalker to him when it comes to how he speaks or the body language he uses. I kind of got the impression that this was deliberate to help us buy into the way Tarkin suspects/deduces the Dark Lord's real identity as he was, of course, on familiar working terms with General Skywalker. We're still seeing the transformation from the leads-from-the-front cavalier Skywalker to the looming, slow-and-deliberate presence that is OT Vader.

18. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Well, it seems like Vader is cool towards Tarkin in the beginning because of Ashoka Tano. And they didn't start off in good terms before that. And then Palpatine tries to get Vader to appreciate Tarkin before the mission. He tells his apprentice that Eriadu forged Tarkin as Tatooine did Vader. Vader disagrees, saying it didn't forge him. Then the Emperor observes slavery and Tatooine forged Skywalker. It seems there's a bit of Skywalker in Vader in Rebels when he meets Ahsoka. By destroying her, can he rid himself at last if Skywalker. By Rogue One, he's the Vader we've all come to know and love.

Speaking of sounding like Vader, Euan Morton had me Google to see if JEJ had contributed. No, it was Morton.

19. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    I wasn't aware of this, thought it was interesting.

Said reference was to the fact that Vader had visited Murkhana before, which he did in Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader. But I believe the circumstances were different in Canon.
    ---
    Also, Tarkin says regarding the Sith Shrine under the Jedi Temple
    This appears to have been contradicted by Into the Dark. However, the next sentence could provide an easy out.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I seem to recall Luceno mentioning at a Celebration panel that he still considered his other books to have happened, when they still fit, in regards to not focusing on questions of the reboot when writing.

It seems more like he’s just not referencing them as super-directly as, say, Zahn is with Outbound Flight, for example.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
    Daneira, Vialco and VexedAtVohai like this.
  21. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I do hope James Lucenon isn’t done writing for Star Wars. The man is by far the best author in the entire GFFA universe.

22. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    He's my favorite villain author. He just loves a good villain. Or better yet, a bad villain.[face_devil]

Nom von Anor likes this.
  23. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    That ability extends beyond villains. One of the reasons I love James Luceno, and to a lesser extent, Troy Denning is because their characters appear real. Three-dimensional beings who have nuances, facets, actual personalities. The best fiction in my opinion is fiction that feels so real that it immerses you in it. A true escape from reality.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
  24. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    He had the best style of any author working in Star Wars and I hope he returns.

Vialco likes this.
  25. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    Really hoping for a James luceno return in the future myself, not so sure about Troy Denning he seems to be doing really well with Halo right now.