main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The Official TARKIN by James Luceno Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sable_Hart, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    Is it used throughout, in all the places we would normally have seen "Emperor Palpatine," or is it just dropped in one or two scenes and not commonly known IU?

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah. We want to keep good relations with the publishers and authors. We also want to support them, and people violating their trust is not cool.

Advanced copies are issued for promotional/review purposes, just like movie screeners. So it's basically just like giving out a movie screener; you're not supposed to do that.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

CooperTFN and Sable_Hart like this.
  3. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    Nope. Just referenced only once, I believe.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  4. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Correct.

5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I don't even think the name is that bad, it's just that nothing could ever have lived up to everyone's expectations so they shouldn't have bothered.

I saw it and was just kind of "meh, whatever"--and I think the only two possible reactions are that and disfavor, so I fail to see the benefit in revealing it. No one's gonna be like, "yeah!! *********!!! Awesome!!!"

Riv_Shiel, Taalcon and Valin__Kenobi like this.
  6. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    You nailed down the problem, I guess. I think it sounds like... I don't know, a prison name or something like that.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I guess it only takes a patriot to appreciate how awful that name is.

I was really hoping for Augie (short for Augustus, as Publius has it). It fits better than the WTS character imo, especially given what the song actually is. It would've been wonderful that we had his name for 15 years and never knew it.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

8. Ventrix

Ventrix Jedi Master star 1

May 28, 2014
    Where I can I find the leak that contains his first name? You can put the link in a spoiler tag if you'd like.

9. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Breaking: Jello likes Rome thing

10. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    they need badly to canonize pleguis

11. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    I hate the name the more I think about it. It IS a bad choice, especially with so many better ones ripe for the picking (yeah, would Augustus, also a synonym for "Emperor", have hurt that much?) -- leaving aside the fact that one name is more than enough. Supershadow thought of a better name for Palpatine than Lucas. Jeeeee-ee-sus.

I think, after consistently defending George Lucas for years, this is reason enough to finally jump on the "Lucas sucks" bandwagon.

Random Comments likes this.
  12. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Augie's Great Municipal Band? Of course young Palpatine would have tried his skills in music, it has always been dear to him. But he could have come up with a better name for the band.

Like "Augie and the Peculiar Hat Crew", with Ars Dangor as the one who left before they became famous.

13. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    I found it through using my mad Twitterfu. And you know what? I actually like it. It somehow fits, I think. Especially if it has the intentional connection to a particular deity in a particular pantheon that has a dual nature, with one of its attributes as 'destroyer' , and another as 'benefactor' - a deity which Lucas has visited before in another franchise (then emphasizing the deity's name that portrays its benevolent part). I think it's pretty cool, actually, having this going forward. And it makes it VERY Lucas.

It's also cool that because Luceno is revealing it, it's himself contradicting his own prior Legendsverse novel. Makes it to it doesn't appear to be one author shooting down someone else's material. If Story Group is going to canonize something that has a significant or well known counterpart in the Legendsverse, it's fun when the original author of the obsolete reference is allowed to be the one to do the damage.

14. Valin__Kenobi

Mar 30, 2004
    It could certainly be worse, but forty years and this is the best Lucas could come up with?

I wasn't a fan of Cosinga at first--it felt clunky--but it definitely grew on me as unique-sounding for a unique character. Dantius is cheesy (is that the SuperShadow one?) but it's royalty-sounding and sounds like a Flash Gordon character so I would have been OK with that.

Being latter-day Lucas I was legitimately afraid it was along the lines of "Savage Oppress" or "Whorm Loathsom" or "General Grievous", so at least it's a fabricated word instead of "Eevul Palpatine."

TKT likes this.
  15. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Wile E. Palpatine, genius.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  16. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I have no want to go search for the name, but I know that I will get to know it here before I get the book in my hands and after the NDA has been lifted. Likely I'll accidentally open a spoiler tag.

It's Mickey, isn't it?

Darkslayer likes this.
  17. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    Remember, folks: Lucas opted to omit the name; it was the Story Group that exhumed it. The fault's theirs, as far as I'm concerned.

18. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    If you don't want to spoil Palpatines first name don't go to Wookieepedia , you have been warned

19. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    Now I'm REEEAAALLY pissed.

20. Valin__Kenobi

Mar 30, 2004
    So my super-secret contact, AKA my Facebook newsfeed, has informed me that it's up now in the Amazon preview, page 93.

[​IMG]

EDIT: Jeez, Wookieepedia doesn't dick around.

CooperTFN likes this.
  21. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    If it's in the Amazon preview, then it's there for everyone to see anyway...

22. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Yuck. That's just awful.

23. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    And... it's canon! No more "it's EU tie-in stuff" excuses.

How does that feel?

Ouch.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  24. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    So we can talk about the name in the open now since it's on Amazon ?

25. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    No. It is too terrible for words.

cthugha likes this.