main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Official TFN Archive Thread: Jan update!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by TFN_Archive_Sock, Sep 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LLL

LLL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2000
    *sigh*

What tech support?[face_plain]

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I don't think Darth Plagueis or Bane has been mentioned yet.

3. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    Sola Naberrie
    Ryoo Naberrie
    Pooja Naberrie
    ----

4. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I think they have those under "Naberrie Family" :)

5. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002
    As per the editors' request, it would be an improvement to the character list if they were listed individually. :rolleyes:

Also:

Winama
    Ryoo Thule
    Ferus Olin
    Darra Thel-Tanis
    Tru Veld

6. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    ardavenport: I was thinking that if you could add them, then you could just add blank lines, too?

*peeks at the Archive's advanced search page*

Judging from the way the <option> tags are arranged alphabetically, I suspect adding blank lines won't do the job. However, adding a bunch of new "characters" (i.e., "A", "B", "C", etc.) should have the desired effect.

The main problem with this is that the Archive's coding won't be able to tell apart real names from the letters. (And yes, this is an issue - for me, anyway. I can't recall the number of times the JC nav bar took me to Fan Audio instead of Resource because my finger slipped.) OTOH, this would make it possible to submit fics starring Star Trek's Q or 007's M . . . no, sorry, crossovers aren't allowed. :D

MariahJade2: The editors actually don't have the ability to alter the page formatting.

Er . . . how much control do you have? If you can make changes to the stylesheet (that is to say: if you can make changes to the HTML source code at all), there are a few tricks I can suggest.

- lazy

7. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    I nominate lazy as the All-Knowing Technology(ly) Helpful Person on the Fanfic Boards (and Etc). [face_batting]

Good suggestions on the characters, everyone. :D

8. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    We have a few buttons like add, list, edit, delete, etc... polls, character, profiles, ban user, things like that, but we can't actually change the style sheet or the html on the page.

9. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Have the e-mail problems been fixed as of yet?

10. Persephone_Kore

Persephone_Kore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2006
    We wish....

11. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Ah, great...

Is contacting the reviewers messed up as well?

12. Pallas-Athena

Pallas-Athena TFN Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 4 VIP

Nov 29, 2000
    As far as we can tell, there seems to be a problem with Live (Microsoft's hotmail, msn, live, etc). So reviewers (and, unfortunately, some authors, we hear) that have Live are the ones having the most problems.

So, when contacting reviewers, PM might be best (if they're activity on the JC), while if you do email them, be wary of them not getting it.

13. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Thanks. Would a good swift metaphorical kick to the servers help in any way?

14. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    I'm about to the point of hoping for the satisfaction of a physical kick rather than a metaphorical one.

15. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Okay, so where are the servers? :p

16. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Since I just saw the most recent topic, and I didn't see any of the KOTOR crew...

Revan
    Malak
    Carth Onasi
    Bastila Shan
    Canderous Ordo
    Mission Vao
    Zaalbar
    Jolee Bindo
    Juhani

The Exile
    Atton Rand
    Bao-dur
    Visas Marr
    Mical
    Brianna
    Kreia
    Mira
    Darth Sion
    Darth Nihilus

...I know there's almost no KOTOR in the archives, but I believe this should change. :p

17. Pallas-Athena

Nov 29, 2000
    QFT.

I actually love kotor. But the entire time I've been reviewing, I haven't even seen a kotor fic submitted, let alone had the opportunity to review one :( I don't know why ...

18. Persephone_Kore

Jan 19, 2006
    As a general note, if you want to see more of something in the Archive -- barring stuff like crossovers, Earth references, R ratings or higher, or other things outside our scope -- submit some!

And be patient and persistent as well as good. Some fics rely more heavily on the reader's awareness of the source material than others, and while we do try to get reviewers who cumulatively represent a broad range of familiarity with different parts of the GFFA, I doubt we have experts in everything.

19. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    I've reviewed one that I recall.

20. TFN_Archive_Sock

TFN_Archive_Sock TFN Archive Editors and Reviewer Sock star 1 VIP

Sep 6, 2007
    Update, October 29, 2007:

As the days grow shorter we're happy to add two more stories to our ever-expanding collection. Please be sure to enjoy ...

[image=http://fanfic.theforce.net/graphics/covers/2087.jpg] The User 1:1 - Special Investigations by luton_plunder
    [image=http://fanfic.theforce.net/graphics/covers/2091.jpg] Of Banthas and Little Boys by VaderLVR64.

In other news, the staff has been working to resolve some e-mail issues that have plagued the automated mailing lists. For more up-to-date information, please check this JC discussion thread.

21. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002
    So the archive now accepts Adult stories? o_O

22. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    I have one fic in the archive that's pre-KOTOR, and specifically relating to the storyline, but it's OCs.

KOTOR writers are a rare breed as it is, around here anyway. And a corollary to that is that it can sometimes be tricky to find a single beta willing to take on a KOTOR-era story, much less two.

That being said... what are the rules on song parodies? I know songfics are out due to copyright issues, but parody is protected by law. And I have a Gilbert and Sullivan parody that I'm really kinda proud of.

23. Pallas-Athena

Nov 29, 2000
    bar·ring
    prep. Apart from the occurrence of; excepting: Barring strong headwinds, the plane will arrive on schedule.

I think it can be done, though, now that the Kotor thread here has some following and kotorfanmedia has gotten quite a large community these days.

I would say that song parodies are still out, because of the cross-over rule. SW fics are supposed to be completely devoid of Earth references and references to other media. Of corse the line is always going to blur some, the closer you get to alluding to something rather than referencing it. If you had a fic with the same plot arch as a play, then that would probably be fine.

24. Persephone_Kore

Jan 19, 2006
    No. That's why I said "barring" and included them as an example of "things outside our scope" along with crossovers. If people want to see more of those, they will have to look elsewhere, much as they would if they want to see more Jane Austen fanfic, tales of Merlin and King Arthur, or a universe where faster-than-light space travel is impossible. ;)

25. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    A few suggestions for the character list:

Queen Apailana
    Cordé
    Rabé (Yes, I know they could both fit under Handmaidens, but I think they should be listed individually)
    Toryn Farr
    Theomet Danlé (formerly known as the Naboo Lt.)
    Hela Brandes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.