main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Timothy Zahn Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Feb 21, 2002.

1. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    This would make my life complete.

2. divinerose

divinerose Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 15, 2009
    According to Wookieepedia, he said in a podcast that he hopes he can do that exact thing. :)

3. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    So I just finished reading the Thrawn Trilogy and Mr. Zahn, you have become one of my favorite writers ever. Period. Awesome stuff. Thanks.

4. Darth-Dogfish-Head

Darth-Dogfish-Head Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2004
    Zahn really did bring some light to the dark and lonely years when there wasn't a lot going on with Star Wars. It gave me that same sense of excitement that the movies had. Plus there was a lot of talk back then that these stories were going to essentially be Episodes 7-9, so that just added to the energy of these stories. It might be time to read those stories again, maybe on the plane to CV!

5. Jello

Jello Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2010
    Yes! Finally! A Timothy Zahn discussion thread!

Who else thinks that he should have treated Thrawns end better? [face_laugh]

6. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    But it was so artistically done.

7. Jello

Jello Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2010
    In my opinion it was too easy, he should have known not to trust him. I will admit it was a surprising end to his life, but I keep thinking that it should have been more drawn out, I felt like Thrawn deserved as much

8. Ryorin

Ryorin Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 15, 2008
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Choices_of_One

So, is anyone else really excited for next July? [face_mischief]

9. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Totally! Although Allegiance was just okay. Considering the title of the sequel I want it to be more about Mara's choices than the errant stormtroopers but I have a feeling it will be the later.

I'm just in the middle of the HoT right now. I put it off for 6 years of EU fandom but I'm right into it, finally. One big critisism. No Chewie. Like not at all and the poor Wookie is still alive at this point. Might as well be dead already.

I just read a passage where Mara Jade calls Luke out for both calling himself a Jedi Master after only 10 years on the job and for doing a lousy job protecting Leia's kids after multiple attempted kidnappings. Two things that have always bothered me about Luke and she just nailed him with it. How much would that second mistake come to haunt everyone? And has anyone ever been this frank with Luke before or since?

10. Ryorin

Nov 15, 2008
    I really liked Allegiance... but, yeah, one of the previous working titles was Hand of Judgment, so the troopers are probably gonna be a pretty major piece of it.

11. Nadia-Oomia

Nadia-Oomia Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2009
    Oh wow! He's still making books? I thought he quit doing Star Wars a while ago [face_thinking]
    I'm a poor excuse for a Zahn fan if I don't even know he's still writing! [face_laugh]
    I guess that gives you a hint on when the last time I read a Zahn book was, or that I haven't read any of his new ones.

12. Ryorin

Nov 15, 2008
    Yeah, I was pretty surprised too when I saw a new Star Wars book by him in the store a few years ago. He's written three since the end of the Bantam (Survivor's Quest, Outbound Flight, and Allegiance) era and is working on a fourth. Should be fun!

13. Nadia-Oomia

Nadia-Oomia Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2009
    I look forward to reading them then :)

14. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    I agree that Allegiance was okay. In the last few days I read both Specter of the Past and Vision of the Future--they were very good, and if you haven't finished them yet--hold on tight, it's a wild ride! To me, they didn't have quite the same magic as the original Thrawn trilogy, which could be due to a number of reasons, but they were really good. Plenty of space battles and unstoppable villains--and to me it tied up the 'old' or classic EU while blatantly feeding the fires of the new. And then I realised that these books have been around for thirteen years, and apparently I have a bit of catching up to do.

But anyway, the bits of Zahn's newer EU stuff that I've read, including Allegiance, did not impress me as much.

15. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    It took me years of EU fanship to approach the HoT. It just never grabbed me until I finally gave it a chance last month. It was great fun. It did have a few problems. The Thrawn double at times seemed an unnecessary plot contrivance. I kind of wished that it was a Thrawn clone instead of just a two bit con man. Also Chewie was missing for the entire 1000 pages. It's like he was dead before they even killed him. Dead Wookie walking.

I really enjoyed Outbound Flight but both Allegience and Survivor's quest were so underwhelming. I suppose Zahn works better when he has a giant canvas from which to work. Huge sprawling books. I suppose he really doesn't fit the current mold for the writing of Star Wars books. Short and full of action. I do hope Zahn finds himself again in the GFFA for Choices. He really did know how to balance and tie together subplots like no other EU writer since.

16. Sauntaero

Jul 9, 2003
    Yeah, I'm super cautious about reading EU, so this was a big step. Unfortunately, reading time is a luxury these days and I had to speed-read HoT, so I can't properly offer any criticism. On the points you brought up though, personally I think clones as a whole are overused, but I agree that Zahn is definitely the master of subplots and side-stories, while still having an overarching theme.

So awhile back I was super pumped that Zahn is going to be in Fargo next weekend, but it's looking like I won't be able to go. Life, you disappoint me sometimes. :(

17. Kyp_Skywalker

Kyp_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2008
    Outbound Flight was a great novel, his best non-thrawn trilogy novel.

18. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I actually really enjoyed Allegiance, and am highly looking forward to Choices of One.

19. Sauntaero

Jul 9, 2003
    Choices of One comes out tomorrow!

You can pre-order it on Amazon: link.

20. StarWarrior92

StarWarrior92 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 7, 2011
    I heartily agree.

I look forward to reading "Choices of One". I still need to buy it.......

21. MiricaEclipse

MiricaEclipse Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2011
    I love Mr. Zahn's books! Especially love the character he created... you may have heard of her. Mara Jade?

I've read almost all of his SW novels... just need to read outbound flight, and finish Chioces of one.

If anyone's taking votes, i'm all for a Skywalker family novel... that would be just way to awesome! I love all the skywalkers, and i think Mr. Zahn could do some pretty amazing things with Ben!

22. Nagai

Nagai Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2010
    Any chance that the Soontir Fel story will be published for money or free online?

23. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Hello:

I am just coming back to SW EU after 5 years away. I came to Zahn very late (2006 just prior to giving up on EU in 2007) and stopped reading TTT half-way through Dark Force Rising. Honestly I got bored. I'm now intending to read Thrawn's whole character arc but am split on how to go about it. I want Thrawn's arc to *make sense*. Any suggestions?

I am a writer myself and having read several reviews of Zahn's SW novels in the last few days I'm *floored* at how many readers just think he's *totally awesome* I'm 108 pages into HotE and I can't even name one physical detail about Galid's appearance whereas Thrawn's 'glowing red eyes' and just how unnerving everyone finds them has been repeated nearly a dozen times already. Also, the sarcasm of the Smugglers' is completely *flat*. It's proving to be an even easier, duller, and more bland read now than originally. I find his *lack* of detail amazing and out of all the characters I've met so far, I only have a mental picture of Mara and Thrawn...this is just sad to me. Especially because I can't *stand* Mara Jade.

I do love Gilad and Talon (always have) but I'm honestly at a loss as to 'the greatness of Thrawn'. May I have some help here? I'd love to learn about Chiss culture too as I'm writing one in a fanfic series. Thank you. :)

24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Bumping up the Zahn discussion.

I love his books. The Thrawn Trilogy and the Hand of Thrawn duology are his best works. I like that the Thrawn trilogy is so similar to the movies but different. I like that we start on a Star Destroyer in his OT era books and whatever ship it is in Outbound Flight. Thrawn is one of my most favorite villains ever.
    My next favorite book has to be Choices of One.
    Can't wait for Scoundrels.

25. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    I really enjoyed the 'novella' (s'pose it should be called that) in one of the 'Tales from' collections - three tales from Zahn and Stackpole featuring both Thrawn and Corran Horn!

Force Smuggler likes this.