main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Troy Denning Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Feb 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    One of the founding fathers of the modern Expanded Universe, Troy helped write many of the West End Games RPG material. Troy has also written the hugely popular 3rd hardcover in the New Jedi Order series, "Star by Star".

Jedi Council Forums Username: Tailone

Discuss Troy's novels and aspects of his writing in this thread. You never know, Troy might drop by from time to time!

2. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    I look forward to further SW work by Troy. Sbs was one of the more enjoyable SW novels I've read - even with the rather dark subject matter.

Let's see some Gamer stories! Let's see some more SW novels! Let's see some more Troy Denning!

3. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    I agree. Star by Star was fantastic (especially those Borsk scenes), and Recovery was fun as well. I'd love to see Troy write more Star Wars!

4. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Havent read Recovery yet, but I will agree that SbS is the best of the NJO to date and one could make the argument that it is the best of all the EU. This novel was amazing and is probably the most pivotal book written in the EU to date. The aftershocks from this book are still being felt and probably will be for months to come. Personally Id love to see Mr Denning return and write more SW EU, the sooner the better !! :D

5. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    Troy D for Episode III

6. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    You got my vote, dude !

7. Mecca-Don

Mecca-Don Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 28, 2001
    I would say that Star by Star is definitely the best book in the NJO series and arguably one of the best Star Wars books period. It was definitely an enjoyable read as far as I'm concerned. I would definitely be happy if Troy were offered another opportunity to work in the SW universe. Assuming he has the time that is. Thanks for the excellent reads with Star by Star, Recovery and Scoundrel's Luck. Now, if I can only find Jedi's Honor.

8. stevo

stevo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    Yup, my vote for "Best NJO book" goes to TD.

9. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
  10. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Yup, IMO SbS's the best SW book so far !

I agree it'd do a great job on EPIII, I think.

But I'd rather see him do something where he'd have more freedom than with a novelization...

11. Hapan_Kickboxer

Hapan_Kickboxer Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 26, 2002
    I wanted to also add this link - some great stuff in there!

StarWars.com Interview

And I agree, I am not sure I would want Troy to get stuck with the novelization. I am convinced that they just can't be good.

12. AnakinsGirl

AnakinsGirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2001
    lets face it. i didnt read the WHOLE sbs book. it was too depressing for me, as a HUGE anakin solo fan.

i think he is a good writer, but maybe star wars isnt exactly his field: the action scenes were confusing. were they outside? inside? i couldnt tell all the time. the setting was confusing. when they went back to rescue anakins body i wasnt exactly sure how everything looked. i know a perfect picture cant be painted here, but felt like i was stumbling around in the dark. i was constantly altering my mental image. o, theres a dropoff? ok. but where? it got really confusing.
    also, i would have liked to see more of tahiris reaction. she flew off the handle when he was slapped by a captor, dont you think shed go a little berserk emotionally if he was KILLED? i know he was tight on time, so i can understand why some things werent as detailed. after all, it was a 500-odd page book, and alot goes on. so i can be forgiving ;) .

13. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Star By Star was the best NJO so far (out of NJO 1-10).

14. caliman

caliman Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2000
    Troy's gonna be at Celebration II this week.

15. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    I would like to comment on SbS-

Although it was my first direct reading of Mr. Denning's work, I fell completly for it, and it has since been only second on my list of favorite star wars novels(To VotF)

I thought it was great how Mr. Denning decided to show some new and old jedi, including Lusa and the Wil Knightz.

Also, Although a very dark book, Mr. Denning gave brillient flashes of light, including the heroic defense of Coruscant, and the last stand of Borsk Fey'yla, which was so powerful it made me shed a tear.

16. Mayo_Solo

Mayo_Solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2001
    Mr. Denning, thank you sooooooooooo much for signing my book. I was the little pigtailed/pony tailed girl in the front row at the panel discussion with the cane.

That meant a lot to me.

17. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    JC Literature Forum regular Ron Corless points out that the latest issue of Locus magazine states that Troy Denning will be writing another Star Wars novel called "Tatooine Ghost"... hmmm, I wonder what this will be about?

18. Mayo_Solo

Mayo_Solo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2001
    Yay! I can't wait to read it.

I love Mr. Dennings writing.

::starts running ideas through her head about what it could be about::

19. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    I could only guess about "tanootine ghost" but it really does sound quite intriguing to me.

I've never really read any of troys books, but I'm definately intrested in this one! :)

Does anyone know what era this book will be set in? that will either make or break my threory.

20. DarthDave

DarthDave Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 1, 2000
    well, as most people know, the summary is up on the official site. not much more people can ask for.

21. MerlynDouglass

MerlynDouglass Jedi Youngling

Jun 28, 2002
    He's evil. My best friend couldn't even get half way through SbS because she kept falling asleep. My fate was almost the same, except I had to know what happened to Anakin. The highlight of the book was the death scene, since the "Del Rey" authors appear to be very bad at writing them, here, at least, was a halfway decent one. Not great, just decent.

22. stevo

stevo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    Really, I found TD as one of the most exciting Star Wars authors. There was great action in SBS.

23. marajoan

marajoan Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 3, 2002
    I did not like what happened in Star by Star but I thought it was well-written. Recovery did not answer any questions but it did give us some bridge as to how Han and Leia resolved their problems. It needed a little more dialogue. I did enjoy meetin Troy Denning at Brookfield Square in Milwaukee in December where he signed my book and chatted with my friend and I. I also saw him again at C2 where we attended all the author forums and enjoyed all the authors immensely. I think that Troy Denning can be considered on of my favorite authors in the EU.

24. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Well it's taken me 6 months, but I'm finally starting to recover from Anakin's death! Thanks Troy for giving him such a magnificent death - it's probably the most amazing death scene I've read, even though I cried like a baby. It's a pity we can't have a movie of the book - imagine that scene with some John Williams music! It'd blow everyone away.
    Just one little gripe. I would have LOVED a romance scene between Anakin and Tahiri to balance the awful violence. But as you told us on another thread - we can imagine one. Still - it woulda been nice . . .
    PS. Troy - if you ever want to come and visit New Zealand, let me know.

25. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    How Dare He Kill Borsk!

Anyway, SbS has been one of the top NJO books, it was awesome, I haven't read Recovery, but hope too, and Tatooine Ghost sounds cool.

TD, I love you, you rock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.