main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Troy Denning Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Feb 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Well, I havent been here for a while but I figured Id drop by. I read TG when it came out and absolutely loved it. To me it was an excellent bridge novel, connecting the PT, the CT and the post-RotJ world perfectly. Mr. Denning is without a doubt the definitive author on anything Han and Leia (loved the Squib story in Insider, BTW).

Im also really happy to hear that Mr. Denning will be writing a post-NJO series. Cant wait for that one ! :D

2. scrotus

scrotus Jedi Youngling

Aug 21, 2003
    Mr. Denning,

In the last month I've read 10 EU books trying to catch up on the last 10 years of missing out. :) I just have to say that SbS is my favorite so far. The Thrawn Trilogy had previously held that position.

I really enjoyed the depth of the space battles and how the characters were driven. There was no wasting of the characters. I loved the Barabels.

Also, don't despair about Anakin. You wrote the most glorious sacrifice. Your descriptions of how the force flowed through Anakin and him finally becoming one with it. Sorry, I'm gushing but it was very well written. I didn't feel disappointed in Anakin's death as I was Chewie's. :) I think it had to do with how and why Anakin died.

Great book!

3. Tailone

Tailone Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 10, 2001
    Thanks for the comments about Tatooine Ghost and SbS. As I think you can tell ;), I enjoy working in the EU very much, and your kind words really make my day.

In answer to Orangefuzz's questions:

1) As I recall (and please remember that I wrote SbS a couple of years ago), when Mara orders the Saber pilots to lauch all proton torpodoes and leave, she's simply trying to overwhelm the YV defenses. The glowball is similar to a smokescreen in modern combat--she's hiding her exact location from the YV gunners.

2) The NR Star Destroyer had been fitted with a gravity well generator; when the YV tried to use their micro-jumps, the gravity well interferred and pulled their ship apart.

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    2) The NR Star Destroyer had been fitted with a gravity well generator; when the YV tried to use their micro-jumps, the gravity well interferred and pulled their ship apart.

Probably a Defender-class then? I think those had the gravity well projectors...

5. MikeSolo

MikeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    Just wanted to say.... Tatoonie Ghost was great :) It is up there with the greatest SW books written. I love how there is a mixture of the PT and EU throughout the book. Also I like how you went into little more depth with the relationship between Leia and Chewie.

6. Raithe

Raithe Jedi Youngling

Jan 26, 2003
    I know you've been getting this a lot, but SbS and TG are both incredible books. You're an awesome writer and I'm really excited about the post-NJO books! :D

Question about SbS and related things: I remember hearing somewhere you read the Young Jedi Knights series (or skimmed them for research material or something) --- is that true?

Because I just wanted to say that the interaction between Tenel Ka and Jacen was EXTREMELY well written and you captured the two perfectly and made me sad that there is really no mention of TK anymore. :( She's always been one of my favorites. [face_love]

Thank you!
    - R

7. Tailone

Aug 10, 2001
    Yes, I read the YJK books on Shelly Shapiro's suggestion and loved them! I'm glad that you liked the interaction between Jacen and TK--they were a lot of fun.

Troy

8. Raithe

Raithe Jedi Youngling

Jan 26, 2003
    I know you're probably not allowed to tell, but it doesn't hurt to ask, I guess:

Do you have any idea if Tenel Ka will be in more books in the future? (Your books mostly. But others are okay too. hehe.)

Thanks again! :D

9. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    I wouldnt be surprised if she popped up in TUF.

10. 0bi-Wan

0bi-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 13, 2001
    Voxyn always reminded me of Dark Sun ecology. Brutal, efficient, specialized.

I wonder if Mr. Denning ever compared the voxyn to similar Dark Sun beasts of his own creation (like the Gaj in Prism Pentad 1).

-- Obi-Wan

11. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Troy, any idea when we're gonna start getting info on your new trilogy? Titles, at least?

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I've asked. ;)

Any information is necessarily under wraps until AT LEAST TUF comes out as any information (including possible titles) might spoil the end of the NJO...

13. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    You could deduce it's a big plot, enough to fill or warrant a trilogy.

Or on the other leg, it's a sales point of view. Trilogies would sell better than single books, as the reader wants to know how everything finishes up.

Not that I've ever understood, mind you, how or why fantasy writers can make ten books in a series! I've seen all the Amazon.com reviews, and they're endlessly saying later books are just carbon copies of former titles . . .

Hmmm . . .

14. emimar

emimar Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2003
    Just got one thing to say. Star By Star is the best book in the NJO series and not just cos you know who dies. It is one of the few NJO books that I could really get into. Perhaps maybe because it's the longest and had one of the most complex story lines. It gave me back my faith in Star Wars novels because the other books leading up to that novel kind of left me cold.
    And Teser and Saba are my favourtie characters with in the whole NJO series. Plus Lowie actaully got to see some action too!

15. rhonderBOO

rhonderBOO Jedi Youngling

Oct 26, 2003
    I've re-read Tatooine Ghost about three times, it just gets better. Being a fan of all the Skywalkers, I greediy lap up anything in which there's reference to Anakin Skywalker byy Luke and/or Leia. This story needed to be told and you did it beautifully. I only hope we see more books after EpIII that bridge the gap between PT and the OT and include details about Anakin and Padme to their children. Han was also wonderful in this book. His characterization was great. Not too sappy, but understanding and pretty straight to the point. I came out of Tatooine Ghost with a new respect for the planet of Tatooine also.

16. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Though readers have been taken back to Tatooine almost 20 times, if you count how many times in all the comics and assorted books.

17. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    The excess of Tatooine descriptions was the one gripe that I had with TG. There was just way too much description of the dry, harsh desert wasteland that is Tatooine, especially when Han and Leia were with the caravan. Like the poster before me said, we've been to Tatooine at least twenty times previously - we already knew that it was a terrible desert wasteland ! :p

As far as the post-NJO trilogy goes, is it still scheduled for a 2005 release ? Also, I wonder how soon we may get spoilers or a synopsis...

18. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I finally got around to reading Tatooine Ghost (I'm not the quickest keeper-upper with EU). It was excellent. Beautifully written. I loved Shmi's recollections of Watto acting like a jealous boyfriend. [face_laugh]

Rick McCallum loves you!

19. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    It may have been written about 20 times, further giving credence to my point... that this book could make one think of cool dessert nights (ala Sedona, AZ or the San Jaquin valley in CA), seeing stars clearly and close, and experiencing that sort of energy in the air that the dessert brings. This is the only book that I didn't think of Tatooine as a "wasteland" in...so I reiterate, good job Troy!

20. Tailone

Aug 10, 2001
    Glad you enjoyed the Tatooine descriptions--as you may have guessed, I'm a lover of the desert myself!

Still can't say much about the post NJO-trilogy yet--have to wait for the official site--but I do think you'll find the antagonist to be, um, "different."

Troy

21. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    Still can't say much about the post NJO-trilogy yet--have to wait for the official site

that's totally understandable, and thank you for your time in any event. but i can't help but ask:

are you able to quash the rumor that it's post-NJO in terms of release date but actually set during the NJO timeframe?

people in favor of a returned Anakin are using that rumor to justify their belief that Anakin will have returned by the end of the war.

hey, while you're at it, could you confirm that it's not the return of Anakin Solo? or, while i have my Christmas list out, just say definitively that Anakin Solo is dead and not coming back? :D

22. Tailone

Aug 10, 2001

The trilogy is definitely post-NJO in terms of both release date and story. As for the rest . . . you know I can't answer! ;)

23. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Troy Denning:

How big was the battle of Coruscant? The books leads us to beleive that there are tens of thousands of warships? Is that true.

On a side note, your SW books are truly wonderful, and I know that if I see your name on it that it will be a good read.

24. jedimasterkipdurron

jedimasterkipdurron Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2003
    Well your books were great, just perfect!

On another note, do you know when the main Star Wars site will post any info on your post-NJO trilogy?

25. Tailone

Aug 10, 2001
    How big was the Battle of Coruscant? Big. I don't think 10,000 ships is out of line, depending on where you set the line for what a "ship" is.

When will the OS post a summary of the trilogy? I'm not consulted on such things, but I doubt it will be for a while yet. I doubt they'll want to start talking about it until the publication date is a little closer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.