main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SNG The officially unofficial social thread.

Discussion in 'Asia & Africa General Discussion' started by Darth_Destructo, Jan 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Hmm, he told me again and again cannot. [face_plain] Anyhow, I'll rather get my stuffs directly from NewLineCinema even tho' it's in USA as it's still a lot cheaper, especially for the Rings (SGD200 saving is a LOT of money).

2. Darth_Destructo

Darth_Destructo Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2001
    Hello Singapore... Ya reckon' that ah ken be postin' 'ere even tho' ah ain't in Singapoore no more?

(And I didn't forget your elf-ears, my girlfriend tried to get them and they were sold out, and we did try all the halloweed stores in the area too-- any other sites or links?)

3. benTantilles

benTantilles Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2003
    just played a few rounds of KOTOR at a cousin's house.... forgotten all about jedi academy already. damn, that games rox! where're u guys at now?

4. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    I don't know about the rest of the posters here, but I kidnapped Darth_Destructo. If my plans go through correctly, I doubt you will see him here for a while... [face_devil]

*menacing laughter*

5. Peacekeeper

Peacekeeper Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 29, 2001
    lol... KOTOR!!! The best SW game of the year!! man... it rocks... i've completed the ligth side ending... now for the dark side.... hahaha... Romancing Bastila(as a guy) was prob one of the best quests they had...

6. siaosaber

siaosaber Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2003
    Goodness , you guys are quick at the game. finished lightside and playing darkside also. but was a bit disappointed with the ending. i thought i will kiss Bastila again at the ending.

7. Yazid_Skywalker

Yazid_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2002
    ATTENTION.
    I am selling my gandalf, sam and frodo posters. I will sell them at a price of 15 dollars, prices are flexible. They are big posters and are in wonderful condition.Pls sms me if interested. 91274745

8. xeno_kenobi

xeno_kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 4, 2002
    Haha.. Yea right Yazid... The posters are only worth 10 bucks leh... Trying to " Ketok " ppl ar ?

9. Yazid_Skywalker

Jul 10, 2002
    I said price is FLEXIBLE.

10. benTantilles

Apr 13, 2003
    romancing bastila is an actual quest? wow.... didn't expect that.
    .... best thing about KoTor is the off-with-the-clothes option.... heh heh....

hey-- u guys are costume freaks, rite? do you know if ARC outfits are available and if so, where? or clone trooper outfits, for that matter....

11. xeno_kenobi

Nov 4, 2002
    Well, sure you can find them, but prepare to empty your wallet ! Armour itself usually costs from 400 to 500 USD, then for a helmet, you could get the Kellogs helmet and modify it. My 0.02 cents wort.

12. benTantilles

Apr 13, 2003
    sounds like it'll be a lot costlier than 2 cents...*whistles*. alrite, thanx for the info. guess i'm gonna have to stick with the grim reaper for halloween....

13. TK-625

TK-625 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 28, 2002
    BenTantilles,

If you ever really want to invest in any kind of Imperial Armor, shoot me an email. I'll be able to hook you up and set you right. ;)

Stay safe.

Tim.

TD6325
    Squad Leader, Singapore Outpost,
    501st Legion,

14. benTantilles

Apr 13, 2003
    thanks, dude... rest assured, i'll contact you if i ever get serious about it.

15. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Darth_Destructo, happy to see you still coming here to post. ;) Anyhow, "da Cat" had helped me gotten the Woochies Ears tho' I think I need someone to help sneak into Singapore for me a Kentucky Rifle some day. :p I HATE Caesar's pricetag. :mad:

16. Yazid_Skywalker

Jul 10, 2002
  17. Sephrenia

Sephrenia Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 29, 2002
    Hi people

It's been really quiet in here. I haven't been on this board for quite a long while. Looks like you all have been busy.

I was just wondering... is the LOTR exhibition worth going to? Tickets are $20 right? Thanks :)

18. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    It's SGD16 for students. ;)

As for how much it worth or not, depend on how much you want to absorb concerning how they made the costumes, props and technologies used in the production of the movies. There are not that much items and the hall is small but it does reveal quite a a lot about the stuffs used/seen in the movies.

Just be warned that NO PHOTOGRAPHY, VIDEO RECORDING & SKETCHING IS ALLOWED!. There will always be people keeping watch on the visitors and there are security cameras located at several places/showcases. :p There is also *NO* screening of FOTR:EE or TTT:EE due to some problems. In its place will be screening of certain LOTR Makings with at least 1 not from the EE DVD at all.

Connected to the hall is another exhibition called SFX II where they let you try out some special effects stuffs (like falling down Titanic, Climb Wall etc). For the kids and those who are kids at heart and not shy to imagine/act. ;)

And if you want to see the rest of the Science Centre, don't come on a Mon as the rest of SSC is closed. If want to met an idiot who does nothing but recite Galadriel's Prolog Speech, don't come on a Wed or Thur. o__O

SSC is also located very near to Jurong East MRT Station and certain buses goes there so may want to forgo the Taxi to save money further. Just cross the road towards Jurong Entertainment Centre, pass it (sandwiched between it and NTUC), pass the shops, pass Cash Converter and a bank-that-I-forget-its-name and cross the road towards that LOTR Exhibition sign board. Recommanded to buy the tickets from the counter over at the Annex Building instead of the SSC main one near MacDonald.

19. Darth_Destructo

Darth_Destructo Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2001
    Ok... And I can't smuggle guns in, I tried already. :p
    I sent my brother a knife though. ;)

20. benTantilles

Apr 13, 2003
    man. been a while since i posted here.

i have a question: i'm trying to, uh, persuade a few friends of mine to come with me to the opening screening of episode III.... the persuasion part comes in when i insist that we all wear star wars costumes, to demonstrate our undying love of the star wars universe. the problem , of course, after persuading them to do so, is in finding some costumes. you guys dressed up to go for AOTC, right? what sort of costumes did you wear? where'd you find them? how much did they cost? xeno told me imp armour costs >400USD, so i'm looking for cheaper alternatives...

21. xeno_kenobi

Nov 4, 2002
    Sorry, my bad... the cheapest Imperial Armour now is going at 700 USD. Anyway, we wear Jedi and Sith costumes for certain special occasions. Most of us in our group, I think, makes their own costumes or get a seamstress to help them.

My $0.02 worth.
    PS : Do not go to those local tailors/seamstress with shops, they charge a hell lot of cash, try the ones that are home based.

22. TK-625

TK-625 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 28, 2002
    BT,

Shoot me an email on what sort of Imperial armor you need/want and the realistic budget you have.

I'll see what I can do for you.

Tim.

23. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    > > the problem , of course, after persuading them to do so, is in finding some costumes. you guys dressed up to go for AOTC, right? what sort of costumes did you wear?

For AOTC Costume Parade, we had Jedis, Padme Amidalas, Royal Guard, Boba Fett (and a GOOD and deserved to be RESPECTED one too! ;) ), Vader and Princess Leia.

For TPM one, I saw that there were Boba Fetts, Maul, Jedis, Mon Mothma and Royal Guard.

For Ep3, I bet there are going to be more Jedis, some Sith, Imperials, Royalties and Bounty Hunter/s. Hasn't really decide what I want to wear tho' it'll surely something that come with a Gun! :p I'll probably stick with Ep1-2 and the OT for my sanity's sake.

> > where'd you find them? how much did they cost?

Some rented their costumes, some have them tailor-made by Costume Shops or Normal Seamstress/Tailor and some assemblem them. But of course, the ones who earned the most respect were the ones who did it from scratch from the most unthought of items. ;)

> > xeno told me imp armour costs >400USD, so i'm looking for cheaper alternatives...

I say research and more research. Don't go straight on into buying ready made stuffs.

You will earn the most respect from others when you make your stuffs from scratch or had clocked in weeks and months or even years into your costumes/armor even when you are not the one making it. And also, the "be humble" part and not being too showoff will add more credits.

Anyhow, in the end, everything will depend on your
    1) Dedication & Research Work
    2) Budget
    3) Level of Accuracy U want to achieve.

Good luck! :)

24. JediClare

JediClare Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 8, 2001
    benTantilles - what sort of costumes did you wear? where'd you find them? how much did they cost?

For me, I went in Jedi garb which I got a seamstress friend to help me make. Getting a friend to make the costumes would be good as you may be able to pay a lower, if not much lower, price - mine cost slightly above $100, not counting the belt and other accessories. Or you could sew the costume yourself.

Cloth you can get at Spotlight or People's Park; leather, screw-on studs and buckle for the belt and hemisphere buttons for the food capsules at Bukit Timah Plaza; Krylon spray paint (I've never tried the Nippon ones) for the food capsules at Bras Basah Sagacity or Art Friend or Spotlight; Staedtler pen caps at some Popular bookstores, and boots at D'Equestrian at Tagore Lane (which are about $100 or so for non-real-leather ones).

As a cheaper alternative for the pouches, I cut rectangular mineral water bottles with grooves, painted them brown and stuck painted bookcover plastic over them for covers. Unfortunately I did a rather sloppy, rushed job and they didn't look very good. Plastic is also a bit stiff; a softer, more pliable material (cloth?) might work better.

You can also try ebay for all the above.

Admittedly this info is a bit outdated (one year plus [face_blush] :p) but most of it should probably still be there. :D

For lightsabres, I only know of Hasbro, Master Replicas (Caesar's and Alaric's sell some MR sabres), Parks Sabers, Lightech. You could also make one yourself if you're able to.

One of the good things about a Jedi costume is that it can be customised without looking too 'wrong', which can cut down on cost and the need for accuracy. However, that also comes with the question of how well you want the public to recognise your costume.

As DE said, in the end it all boils down to research (try the Costumes and Props boards for a start), budget, accuracy, the amount of time you're willing to spend on it, and some creativity. MTFBWY :)

25. xeno_kenobi

Nov 4, 2002
    I can vouch for the quality of D'Equestrian products, since I own a boot, non leather, from them. The quality is awesome ! Oh yes, don't think that it's impossible to make your own Lightsaber... I succeeded in making my own EL lightsaber with a kit from Lightech.

Good Luck, and MTFBWY :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.