main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The often corrosive nature of $$$ in sports

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthTunick , Jul 8, 2016.

1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Sports can be a fun, exciting, and unifying force in culture, but there's no denying the corrosive nature of money that is rife in much of the sporting world, in many different ways.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/how-the-dodgers---8-3b-tv-deal-turned-into-an-unmitigated-disaster-203627465-mlb.html]Dodgers[/url] partnership with Time Warner is a prime example

Ever since the network's inception in 2014, Time Warner has been in a dispute with every major carrier concerning distributions pricing, and even with their insistence on lower price as of that article, there's seems to be no movement from other carriers to make a deal. A television impasse impacting about 70% of the L.A. market, who remain with simple access to the team on television. An impasse born out of an insane money deal, one that's being going on now for 2 1/2 years... an infuriating impasse that's especially galling, even Vin Scully's impending retirement after this season.

In theory, I could switch providers from AT&T U-Verse to Time Warner, but I'm quite satisfied with it (as me & my brother have our phone service & home internet bundled with it), so why switch, and thus given in? It shouldn't come to that.

2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    What do you want to know?

3. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    The negatives of money in sports. I hope for the thread title to be re-edited to fully reflect that. :p

4. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Please rename the thread "Tunick is butthurt over this now"

Point Given and PRENNTACULAR like this.
  5. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    You could look to how Texas has destructed after making a deal with the Big 12 tv deal. Money was the reason Texas wanted the deal and they lost several teams because of it.

Sent from my iHorse

6. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    the negative of money in sports is ever since the collusion case when free agency became big that's all i hear, even during games $$$

7. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    I don't really get why this is a problem.

8. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    The often corrosive nature of $$$ in life, politics, human nature, sports, science, everything ever.

Juliet316, PRENNTACULAR and Rylo Ken like this.
  9. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I have no issue with money in sports most of the time. Athletes only make what owners are willing to pay them. Owners only charge what consumers and TV executives are willing to pay them. Hot dogs only cost what consumers are willing to pay for them.

Is it a little ridiculous that someone can make more in one year for having for a jump shot than someone makes for an entire teaching an entire class of fifth graders? Probably. Does that demonstrate a problem with society in whole? Probably.

To me, the ridiculous nature of money in sports is not found in the lack of being able to watch my favorite team on the cable package I subscribe to. It's not found in paying five dollars for a cheap hot dog (in a stadium that doesn't carry Bertman's). It's not paying 20 bucks to park.

It's found in College Sports. Where the almighty dollar trumps everything. Where making a hundred millions dollars isn't enough, when you can make 110 million. Where precious little of the money actually trickles down to the athletes, and where decades-old rivalries are cast aside for the sake of "a little more" money.

I could understand chasing the money if it was needed to save programs. If switching to the SEC or the B1G provided a college the chance to save the water polo team, or to properly fund the women's cross country team. But it's not. It's used to get better training rooms for football, to pay the football coach more, and to fatten the wallets of a select few.

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    There is not enough money on the planet to stop the UNC-NC State-Duke University rivalry. ;)

I'm sure the market has everything to do with this; the price of Panthers tickets skyrocketed after Cam Newton started giving away touchdown footballs, among other factors. They were at home on my birthday last year, I live 15 minutes from the stadium and considered going...until I realized that I did not really want to pay $150 per seat in a section that does not provide the same visibility as my TV, plus $10 per beer.

Hornets tickets are more reasonable, at about $35-40 for a fairly decent seat, at least on Boy Scout night. :p. It does annoy me that they only broadcast on Fox Sports Southeast, though, which is about three cable tiers up.

11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Ryan Howard is making $48 million between today and November 2017.

Ryan Howard is healthy, and Ryan Howard does not play.

The man who stands in Ryan Howard's position and plays every night makes $507,000 a year.

]-}

12. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    Ryan Howard is a great example of the problem with fully guaranteed contracts. The player can sign it and put himself on cruise control, and since modern athletes also have no respect for authority, no one is going to hold them accountable. They simply sit back and collect the cash. That's a really great life. In any other job, if your job performance dips, it's grounds for termination. And look, I get it, these guys are in the 1% of their field and it's incredibly hard to make it to the pro level, and they play in front of thousands of people in the stadium and millions on TV. But at some point the line has to be drawn, and the chain of command respected. These guys are incredibly pampered and they pull down massive salaries. The team owners (some of the most successful businessmen in the world) should be stepping up, drawing some lines, and holding they guys accountable. I remember what they used to say about Baron Davis, for example. People would say ''when he's engaged he's great!'' For that amount of money, how does one ''choose'' whether he is engaged or not? That's when the owner needs to step in and say, ''I'm paying you 14 million per year. You WILL show up, you WILL put in the work, and you WILL do the best you can. This is what I require of you as my employee.'' I don't know, I just feel that it is something that is really missing and it adds to the problem that we are discussing.
    The other thing I don't like is when people defend the salaries and say, ''well they need to get all they can while they can because it has to last them the rest of their lives.'' For one thing, many of the top guys already make enough in one year of their contracts that it should last them the rest of their lives. Don't blow it all, and it will be enough for you to live very comfortably for as long as you live. Learn when to say no, and learn how to budget. Learn what you really need to be spending money on, and what not to. Secondly, if you know your career has a short shelf life, it might be a good idea to develop other life skills so that you'll be able to continue to live happily and be productive after your playing career is over. These guys need to get more educated, and the leagues should be doing more to help them in transitioning once their career is over.