main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The Old Republic MMO: The New Official Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 7, 2012.

1. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Despite the things I've speculated about, I must admit that what I would like to happen is that your character went into carbonite because Vitiate had begun devouring worlds everywhere, growing increasingly stronger and stronger, and that when he had become almost unstoppable, and turned his eyes to outside the galactic disc, that being the moment when Valkorian realises that this has to be stopped, and the Empire of Zakuul rains on Vitiate's parade, "defeating" Vitiate while your character slept.

Because if that was the reason you had sealed yourself away, in order to escape Vitiate's Armageddon, then I'd love it-- and be curious what had happened to him, because I don't believe for a second they'll kill him offscreen after so much recent buildup.

But I do want Vitiate-- not Zakuul-- to be the force that brings the galaxy to the brink of ruin.

2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    The whole Vitiate backstory is actually one of the things that lore wise just seemed like a total mess up, and there is a lot of really bizarre Sith stuff in that game, but his background was just a little to wtf. Though I guess it certainly fits into the “period” with the other bizarre Sith stuff Anderson came up with back in the days. ;)

3. RafSwi7

RafSwi7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2011
    More information and some spoilers:
    About changes to the worlds:
    About canon:
    SOURCE: http://massivelyop.com/2015/06/22/e3-2015-swtors-upcoming-expansion-builds-on-the-legacy-of-kotor/

4. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Good news about canon. I didn't see it not being canon in principle until it departs from the films (or old canon), which it still hasn't

Sent from the World

5. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    I like the stuff about how the story will let them make some more substantial consequences for the players' decisions than the original class stories, as that's indeed something I always have missed in TOR the most.

The lack of phasing is still a disappointment though, as that's become common in a lot of MMOs today, and really helps boost the immersion, especially for solo campaign questlines where the phasing won't harm the multiplayer aspect anyway.

The canon stuff is also interesting, as if they're genuinely trying to make it "feel" like a canon story (I guess it helps to make sure it "feels" like the Star Wars new fans will experience in Episode 7), then that potentially implies that some of the stuff we see in TOR will be an insight into what StoryGroup might be allowing again in the future in more directly canon stories. (So, the sort of Force powers, etc.)

6. RafSwi7

Oct 3, 2011
    SOURCE: http://www.shacknews.com/article/90...f-the-fallen-empire-looks-to-bring-story-back

Revanfan1 and Darthmaul208 like this.
  7. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I honestly feel, at some point, Old Republic era will be made canon.

8. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Re: Zakuul empire taking down the two galactic powers, I don't necessarily see this as any different than what Darth Revan did, perhaps even easier. He had no territory really to speak of just the star forge, and he was hesitant to overuse that due to its influence, but through strategy he was able to bring the Republic that came out of the Mandalorian Wars to its knees. Granted he took their best troops in so doing, likely.

Zakuul capitalized on the Republic and Empire softening each other up.

I don't anticipate SWTOR being canon, that quoted thing basically suggested it could be mined for ideas. Likely the same as the rest of the EU. I sorta suspect the reason they made it Legends is because the Force is "unleashed" in that era more than Starkiller could ever manage and they're probably trying to make its depiction consistent.

9. RafSwi7

Oct 3, 2011
    Who wanted Orbalisk armor?
    [​IMG]

Companions:
    KoTFE hints in Shadow of Revan.
    Key points:
    • The new expansion takes place 5 years after the current content.
    • Choices you made based on your companions will determine what happened to them. (Similar to Dragon Age.)
    • There will be more content with current companions.
    • You will get back some of your companions, but not all. This will depend on the choices you make or made.
    • Zakuul is a playable world. It is half city world (like Nar Shaddaa,) half jungles / swamps. You will visit the upper and lower tiers of the city world and the surface.
    • Leveling process is being rebuilt: it will not necessitate side missions.
    • Combat is being built to be more action-packed and mobile. EDIT: Doesn't sound like a complete rebuild like the leveling process: they are just adding new skills and abilities and NPCs that are more action-packed and mobile.
    • Vaylin is the Eternal Emperor's Valkorian's daughter and Thexan and Arkan's sister.
    • New story is hinted at in Shadow of Revan.
    • This will be the only expansion this year: there isn't a second one planned like the last 2 years.
    • F2P and Preferred cannot get access to the new expansion: you must subscribe for at least a month
    SOURCE: http://massivelyop.com/2015/06/23/e3-2015-bioware-dishes-more/

10. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Five years and Revan hints. Curious.

Nice time jump though.

Sent from the World

11. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    My guess is they're just going to make the 12XP buff permanent, which would address the faster leveling that they suggest.

As for hinted at in Shadows of Revan? Well, either it's Vitiate connected, or the weird stuff like the contact from beyond the galactic disc in the Inquisitor quests are indeed relevant to all this. The wackiest idea that actually just occurred to me is: are you Vitiate...?!

Okay, okay, KOTOR rehash, I know, but... he did say you are special to him, and that he will keep you alive, so... maybe it was your body he was reborn into on Yavin. :p

(And I like the orbalisk armour, aside from the padded shoulders, but the basic style is cool, including the helmet, and much more attractive than Darth Bane's birdcage.)

Revanfan1 and Darthmaul208 like this.
  12. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Speaker for the Dead ;)

Zorrixor likes this.
  13. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Ooooh, good thought. It would certainly be neat if this tied into the early Sith Lords.. I'd laugh so hard if Zakuul was the True Sith Empire all along. [face_laugh]

Revanfan1, Vthuil and darklordoftech like this.
  14. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    What do you mean by Zakuul being the True Sith Empire? That the Revan novel was wrong about what Revan discovered?

15. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    That Malachor was the beacon for the Eternal Empire rather than the Sith Empire? Arguably the Sith Empire still is, as Kreia put it, the corrupted pieces of the Jedi and Republic...

I gather the Unknown 5th spirit is far more powerful than the other four and most people just run. Higher level boss which will beatable when the level cap is lifted?

Either way, the era is now 46 years long, making it the third longest continual era we have. Only the Old Sith Wars and the film era are more detailed now, and the former is about to be nudged out no doubt.

Sent from the World

Zorrixor, Vthuil and darklordoftech like this.
  16. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    How so? SWTOR builds off of KOTOR which builds off of TOTJ.

17. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I separate them due to the three century gap, largely.

As even if you liberally consider the films story to have started in 200 BBY that only goes to 139 BBY and so the KotoR-TOR era is longer.

Sent from the World

18. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    I thought that but to me it's too literal. If at the end they just go oh and you Vitiate I would be annoyed. I don't think that they would pull that stunt again but I feel there may be a twist in there.

I'm half liking the new game aspect of it but it still feels off to me. 5 levels? Compared to 50 and 8 classes? The story would have to be detailed and interesting. I am thinking about subscribing for the first time but I am not sure I have the time!

19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Yup, and they're the descendents of Rajivari's sect. It's suspicious that we only found three of Rajivari's principles.

20. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Something along those lines was what I was thinking, yeah. We know they've been hinting at stuff dating back to the Force Wars, etc, so maybe the Zakuulians are descended from those who fell to the dark side during the First Great Schism and/or Force Wars?

It would essentially make them the original Dark Lords from long before the Exiles who conquered the Sith, which would essentially be reinterpreting Kreia's comments to mean that, ironically, the "True Sith Empire" wasn't Sith at all, but actually the Dark Empire that came before, and whose shadowed worlds lay far beyond the reaches of Jedi or Sith.
    My initial reaction was the same... admittedly, though, Warcraft has pulled off fairly far reaching expansions that only give 5 levels, e.g. Cataclysm went from 80 to 85, and then Mists of Pandaria only boosted it from 85 to 90, but both actually made some pretty wide sweeping changes to the lore, introduced very big new zones, etc.

21. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    We can only hope we get the same here.

22. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Maybe by "true Sith", Kreia meant "the originators of the ideals as opposed to the originators of the "Sith" name". Then again, Sorzus Syn said that the Sith civilization had Terentateks but Je'daii master Quan-Jang developed Terentas, which are clearly predeccesors of Terentateks, suggesting that the arrival of the Jedi Exiles wasn't first the contact between the Je'daii and the Sith civilization. I recall Kreia hinting that the Jedi Exiles first went to Malachor, and there they found something that told them, "If you want to learn more about the dark side, go to Korriban." Maybe the Zakuulians went to Korriban, shared their teachings with the Sith civilization, left hints about it on Malachor, and then left Sith space?

Zorrixor likes this.
  23. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Maybe on Tython and Korriban you find the rest of history; where the Bogan retreated to from Tython; 25,000 years ago; Korriban, and where they retreated in the face of the Rakatan Civil War, caused by them; Zakuul.

It would be a little neat and amusing connect all the pre-Exile Sith references.

Sent from the World

darklordoftech and Zorrixor like this.
  24. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Tying it back into Bogan is my dream, yeah. The way Dawn of the Jedi ended left so many unanswered questions, and it'd be very in keeping with TOR given both have had a strong emphasis on Sith and Rakatan history, rather than any of the Denningverse focus on Killiks and Celestials, so I can see the TOR writers doing something that tied Zakuul into the Sith or Rakata somehow.

25. ararha

ararha Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 25, 2013
    Im pretty interested to know with this new expansion hitting...is the PC the only character that will survive into the 5 year period due to the carbonite freezing or will the other 7 heroes/villains be running around aswell?

Consisdering the latest information has stated that the character we play is the last hope of the republic/empire...i cant see that happening unless the other 7 characters are all killed.