main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The Old Republic MMO: The New Official Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 7, 2012.

1. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    how far in did you get? Cause you get more chances to go against the Republic in acts 2 and 3. Or were you meaning the planetary quests?

I found the end of act 1 for the IA fun, when you suggest killing a Sith Lord, you ally says "you have never fought a REAL Sith or Jedi".

2. CosmoHender

CosmoHender Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2016
    I mean both the main storyline and the planetary quests. Ultimately the farthest I ever got was to the beginning of Act Two.

I LOVE the ending to Act 1 as an Imperial Agent. One of my favorite moments in that storyline is to actually be able to talk down Darth Jadus, convince him that he has already lost.

AusStig likes this.
  3. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Ok, well the planet quests don't change. But act 2 does let you be more self serving. Like selling arms you steal from the Empire on the blackmarket. You also get darker companions.

4. CosmoHender

Dec 2, 2016
    One thing that I actually really like about the Old Republic is that it gives you the chance to really see and explore Alderaan, since I honestly feel like the planet is very underutilized in a lot of Star Wars media. It only got a cameo in Revenge of the Sith, despite the prequels being the perfect chance to spend more time on the planet so that its destruction in the original trilogy has more weight. And though Alderaan was visited in an episode of The Clone Wars, it felt more like a footnote than anything else. But in the Old Republic, you can spend a lot of time on Alderaan and knowing the planet's eventual fate makes the time that I spend on the world feel... melancholy. Am I the only one who has an experience like that?

Irredeemable Fanboy and AusStig like this.
  5. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

As much as I love Naboo I will always say Naboo should have been Alderaan.

Ghost and ColeFardreamer like this.
  6. Gerak

Gerak Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 23, 2019
    Nope, you're not the only one. Melancholy is the right world.

There was this series I follow --- it told the story of a city state on the very edge of the world's nations, and spent so much time fleshing out this small, backwater trading post in excruciating detail, but the writing and worldbuilding was so good. Even though the city eventually fell later in the series, seeing how fleshed out it was before it's eventual fall, its definite melancholic. Alderaan and to an extent Coruscant always reminded me of that ---- even though you know the eventual fate of those places in the movies, the game does a good job of fleshing out the day-to-day life of factions and people within those planets. It makes them a lot more than set pieces to be destroyed/subjugated. House Rist and Thul were such great additions to what we know of Alderaan's nobility.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
    AusStig and CosmoHender like this.
  7. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    It's on a long list of "should have beens"...

Alderaan as Naboo
    Neimoidians as Geonosians (as in original Droid design ideas)... also Neimodians should have been Duros!
    Lothal lookwise too should have been Alderaan... storywise it might have been fun as Dantooine with a special Jedi Temple from KOTOR then appearing.
    Mustafar should have been Vjun... I mean altering it to have acid rain AND Lava would not have been hard.

8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
  9. champdo

champdo Jedi Knight

Jan 9, 2018
    I was happy to see we’re getting some new Jedi. It seems like since 4.0 the Sith have been getting all the good force users.

10. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I mean most of the new Sith are old Sith, and most of the new Sith can die as part of their missions.

I really don't expect to see much of Shaar, Anathel and Savik going forward.

It'll all be Malgus, Xarion, Krovos and whichever Emperor/Empress we have.

Oh and Rivix.

Five Sith MC's isn't too heavily inclined either way.

That being said Jedi don't make much impression to me one way or another in these games. Apart from Gnost-Dural... and Satele Shan... and Tau... and that cyborg guy... and that female Jedi Master who has mad skills. Which is five MCs I suppose.

11. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I always thought is was rather clever how they used Sith that appeared in forgettable side missions and ranked them up to cover the time jump.
    It makes things much more interesting and immersive than if it had just been brand new sith we've never heard of before.

12. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Sinrebirth likes this.
  13. CosmoHender

Dec 2, 2016
    Hey, am I the only one who hates that you have to commit to a side of the Force now?

Irredeemable Fanboy likes this.
  14. Irredeemable Fanboy

Irredeemable Fanboy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 27, 2020
    Yes! This is partially why Alderaan is my second favorite planet in the game (aside from being beautiful to look at), it feels like such an alive world, with plenty of life, it's own politics, setting, etc. it feels like it could host an entire story about Royal House Drama by itself, without any Jedi, Sith, Republic or Empire involved! I also enjoy how they added the later additions to the Alderaanian lore like the Killiks, TOR expanded on them a lot, you find out if you do all of the Vector conversations. And the melancholy aspect also plays a big role, many times i'm found staring at the sky of Alderaan, thinking about what i'm doing, the world i'm in, the ammount of lives, of history, of lineages and struggles that ended up being just... Erased.

It honestly adds a lot on why the Galactic Empire, and Tarkin, were so evil, willing to erradicate that on a whim, just because.

I both agree and disagree:

When talking missed opportunities for looking at it from just the narrative of the films, then yeah, i would agree, as it would add on to the loss of this planet that, when just looking at the movies, you really have either zero attachment to, or barely know one person from there, that being Bail, who isn't that much of a character when looking at just his appereances in the movies, so it would certainly add on to the loss in the movies.

But on the other hand, when taking into account how each planet expanded in other material, especially Naboo, in literary media like The Monster, Maul: Endgame, the Plagueis Novel, and so on, i disagree, as Naboo has it's own personality with it's own unique geography quirks, society dynamics, history with the Republic and the rest of the Galaxy, economy, etc. that is much different from Alderaan as it was established in SWTOR media and other mentions in novels and short stories, so i like how they are widly different once you actually look into them, and i wouldn't want to not have them be like this, two planets that are both crucial to the main saga of Star Wars, yet are rich and unique in widly different ways, in spite of looking like basic "Earth-like" planets from the outset of how they are presented in the movies.

That was honestly a stroke of genius, it made everything feel like it mattered and actually happened in the same universe.

I especially liked how Darth Savik was implemented, i honestly didin't even remember her, she was screaming about how she wanted to have her revenge on me and my Jedi was all like o_O???

Yeah, it's stupid because it completely negates any consequences of choosing Dark Side/Light Side options, as you can simply "commit" to one side, say, Light Side, and despite making every choice a Dark Side one, you will still be mostly Light by the end of it.

It's happening to my latest character, an Inquisitor, i wanted to make an experiment out of it: If i could pick every Dark Side "MURDER AND MAYHEM AWAIT" (shock) choice yet still get the Darth Imperius title in the end.

I'll see if my hypothesis turns out correct once i manage to play again, as of the time of this post, i think i was already close to Light I on my first non-prologue planet (i wasn't doing any sidequests btw).

Gerak, kalzeth and AusStig like this.
  15. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    I am doing an SI run now. I do love saying "murder and mayhem await"

16. Irredeemable Fanboy

Mar 27, 2020
    It's my Nox's favorite catchphrase! Too bad he doesn't say it that much in expansions lol.

AusStig likes this.
  17. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    sad lighting nosies

Zer0 likes this.
  18. Irredeemable Fanboy

Mar 27, 2020
    Hey, at least Lightning itself made a glorious comeback in Onslaught.

Overall Onslaught is my favorite expansion storyline.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
  19. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    The Anathal scene is simply amazing. Compared to how other Dark Councilors go out he just slumps over and dies. Really goes to show how much more powerful you are now than when you took on Thanaton. Plus all the other Councilors not even batting an eyelash. For them this is just Tuesday.:p

But, as you say, the Jedi have their own version of this when it comes to Savik. It really is brilliant having a one note who has no lines turn up and wanting revenge. It really highlights how even your most basic actions can have extensive unintended consequences. What is just a grind to us can be someone else's entire life, or maybe their friend or family. That is an excellent way to recognize the horror of war and downplay, even just for a moment, the cool factor of the fight.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
  20. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I was supremely happy that Anathel can die.

Ditto
    Shaar/Vowrawn

Can never have too many Dark Lords of the Sith. Even if ToR has introduced probably 30 by now.

kalzeth likes this.
  21. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    My only real issue is it pretty much guarantee's we won't be seeing the Dark Council again any time soon.
    That's a lot of difernet timelines they need to account for (Counting killing one- two- all or none.)
    Of course you can just say the ones you didn't kill got assassinated off screen but that would feel cheap IMO.

kalzeth, Sinrebirth and AusStig like this.
  22. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    kalzeth and ColeFardreamer like this.
  23. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    haven't heard this talked about bout whose all ya thinking
    "" is

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    kalzeth and AusStig like this.
  24. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Lady
    Dominique?

AusStig likes this.
  25. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    yes wonder who she is

AusStig likes this.