main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The Old Republic MMO: The New Official Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 7, 2012.

1. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    I looked up Empress Acina on Wookieepedia and it said that the past several appearance she has had are player determined. Is the story now being driven by player choice and there isn't one confirmed canon narrative?

2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I believe so, I remember hearing there’s a choice she in particular could live or die, as well as some other characters and plots. But that has always been the case. If TOR was still canon to begin with, after it eventually ended they’d probably have a novel or series or guidebook that said the “canon” choices, like how the did with KOTOR 1 and 2 by establishing canon genders for Revan and the Exile, and canon endings for those 2 games (light side). Although TOR is considerably more branched, and there’s no longer a need to uphold a continuity since Legends is no longer being developed.

Gerak and AusStig like this.
  3. Malachi108

Malachi108 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2009
    Yes, ever since the War on Iokath update the core setting had fractured, with the big picture becoming ever more driven by player's decisions (not all of them clearly Light Side vs. Dark Side either). Prior to that it was generally clear that characters that could be "killed" or "spared" would either just send you an email or appear in one extra cutscene and that was it, they weren't principal characters either. But as of lately you can kill characters that in other branches serve as Sith Empreror/Empress (both of them), have key Alliance personnel abscent from all future cutscenes if you they die, kill Sith Lords left and right to the point where Dark Council has almost entire different roster for different characters and have a "Virmire survivor" situation where you can only save one ally by leaving the other to die, yet one of them actually plays a significant role in the latest story update.

The number of the original class companions that you can now kill has I believe risen to 15/40, and many subsequent story companions can be killed as well. Many such choices exist only on one side of the Republic/Empire divide, so one faction can kill a major character that for players of the other faction would always appear alive, as they never got that choice.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2023
  4. Gerak

Gerak Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 23, 2019
    There isn't one canon narrative. For formatting reasons the Wikia defaults the story to a LS JK, but by the time of SoR and later the Zakuul saga that choice is no more or less canon than a LS Sith Warrior or a neutral Trooper saboteur. By Iokath, stories could diverge in a large amount of ways, and the existance of the saboteur routes and whether or not to keep the Alliance independent or not add even more branching paths.

All of that, in addition to the multiple centuries gap of noteworthy information following SWTOR's place in the timeline, makes it almost impossible to assume there's one hard canon route that meshes more than any other.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2023
    Malachi108 and AusStig like this.
  5. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Finally closing in on finishing the Agent storyline, and I was quite surprised to find that
    the secret headquarters for the Star Cabal was in the Null Zone, the same place the Prophets of the Dark Side hang out in Lost City of the Jedi! Dunno how I missed hearing about this...

6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I thought Hoth would be boring:
    [​IMG]

7. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Which class are you?

The Empire has a fun quest where you save the Ortolans (if you want).

Barriss_Coffee and Sinrebirth like this.
  8. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    Meanwhile the bounty hunter meets a jawa on HOTH and has a battle in an underground volcano

Barriss_Coffee and AusStig like this.
  9. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Jedi Knight. The planet seems to be crawling with Ortolans, so I guess that's not a surprise that they play into different missions.

Dude SPOILERS! :p

I gotta appreciate how much work they've done distinguishing the different "snow" planets. Hoth is entirely unique from Ilum (which is beautiful), versus Belsavis (flurries in the jungle is wacky but ok), versus Alderaan (which doesn't even "need" snow, but it's nothing like the other worlds). The lore behind the different areas on each world is also a lot more detailed than I expected for a game like this -- it's not just general rehashed SW-stuff that ties directly into the movies. There are actually some pretty crazy stories behind why someone or something exists on a planet. Hoth, for instance -- a whole mountain carved by a crazy cult of wiccan-type zealots? A graveyard of crashed and looted starships, designed long before Jakku? I have a whole new perspective of that world now.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2023
  10. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    yeah just wait till you get to the planets in act 3! SWTOR goes into deep and new territory, even on established planets.

11. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    is there still good videos with the complete story and all sidemissions etc.? game movies of the first parts of TOR are easy to find but all the recent stuff?

And please not commented or rushed through like gamers love to do. Lore focussed videos preferrably that do not comment but show the story as in game?

12. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    Whups, sorry.

I just assume it's common knowledge sometimes [face_laugh]

13. I predict that this Game could reach 20 Years being Online is the only MMO Star Wars Game and i dont think there will be a New Star Wars MMO Game Soon

14. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Somewhere in a parallel universe, BioWare is still kicking itself for having released a short-lived Knights of the New Republic MMO in 2011.

Gerak, Sinrebirth , AusStig and 2 others like this.
  15. Gerak

Gerak Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 23, 2019
    Strongly considering doing a new trooper character. Don't remember it much aside from super broad strokes, and that many of its characters ended up being rolled forward into the Zakuul arc. Really excited!

16. Im just thankful that Disney hasnt tried to shut down this Game yet its honestly very surprising that SWTOR is still going almost 10 Years after the "Decanonization" of the EU

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2023
    kalzeth, RafSwi7, Ghost and 1 other person like this.
  17. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012

I’m curious about the final minute of this video. Did we ever find out why Ragnos opposes Vitiate?

@Sauron_18 @Sinrebirth

Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
    kalzeth and AusStig like this.
  18. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Nope, that would be 10 years going strong and stronger and continue where Legends left of.

You'd have the Mortis Knights quest playeable... Sword of the Jedi storylines... Vongerella Operations... Rise of the Felpire Expansion... Kemp Clone Imposter Crisis... the Ossus Project Event... Throne of Balance Expansion... Zonama Sekot Operation against renegade Vong... etc. etc.

And it'd naturally flow and bridge itself into the Legacy comic era, which it would continue after a timejump to skip the existing comics.

And playable character classes would be:

One Sith
    Jedi
    Imperial (with differences if you choose Chiss species)
    Smuggler
    Bounty Hunter
    etc.

Abeloth as final boss after occasional returns and new personas for her in between. Adult Allana and other cameos all over the game. Force Ghosts for Jacen, Anakin, etc.

I would kill for a playeable post ROTJ Legendsverse!!! I'd not have stopped playing that... but TOR? Well, lack of time due to kids killed my gamer side.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  19. RogueWhistler

RogueWhistler Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2021
    I have a theory about this - for the longest time, I figured it was some mysterious plot thread that never quite panned out, but now I think it might just be meant as an explanation for why Ragnos crowns Kun as "the" Dark Lord of the Sith when Vitiate and his empire are still around.

20. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    In a way Dark Empire explains that. The dead Korriban Sith Lords do not accept Palpatine but would allow Vader in their midst. Likewise Ragnos and the dead Lords crowned Kun and Quel Droma for they did not accept Vitiate in their midst for the same reason they shunned Palpatine later on.
    Palpatine was a lot like Vitiate and it seems the reigning Dark Lords, even beyond death, are opposed to something both did or intended. What exactly that was remains open, but it could be several things. Maybe the Dark Lords are despite all their evil grandeur still subservient to the gods of the Sith.. or the (Dark) Force, etc. and any Sith attempting to go toe to toe with that or become a god literally would be not their favourite. Or they are just petty disliking these rogue Emperors that do even turn on their own Sith if needed. But who then made these specific former Dark Lords the authority on who is worthy or not and why? Not any dead Sith can crown another living. Nor seems there to be a consensus needed who is a true Sith or not.

Thus, Ragnos lot of dead spirits.. are they connected to something larger than themselves?
    Or are Vitiates Sith the true Sith attempting true apotheosis etc. like Palpatine later on, something which the subservient Ragnos line shied away from to not risk the dark gods wrath?

21. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    @darklordoftech, I believe it was initially Sith jealousy but fundamentally Vitiate betrayed everything to become Emperor, and then he betrayed the Sith themselves when he considered himself above them. So.... I imagine the First Sith felt they could have triumphed if not for his actions on Nathema.

QuinlanSolo, Ghost, kalzeth and 2 others like this.
  22. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Maybe Ragnos didn't like how Vitiate went about things or saw him as a danger to all life now.

darklordoftech likes this.
  23. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Or just plain jealousy at those who nearly became gods but squandered it.

Or just a bit of good still in them, and not as pure evil as say Palpatine.

24. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Or some combination of the above.

Ghost and darklordoftech like this.
  25. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    or the Force abusing the spirits of dead Sith as messengers to crown champions to fight other Sith... aka fight fire with fire... pity they never got that far with Jedi interference and taking them out and only their legacy lived on till Revan did it.