main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Old Title Was Way Too Long: USMNT/MLS Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth McClain, Apr 25, 2010.

1. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    sounders starting training camp today. it feels like we just had a game, lol.

2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah yeah, we know, you won. :p

tom likes this.
  3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003

beckham begat donovan
    donovan begat gerrard
    gerrard begat zlatan
    zlatan began chicharito

galaxy like these big names

Darth McClain and DarthIntegral like this.
  4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    This is probably their best name signing, though. Bigger than Zlatan. Bigger than Gerrard. Probably bigger than Beckham. because Chicharito will increase their relevance in their own market. It's not at all an exaggeration to suggest that they might be able to sell out the Rose Bowl for a few games this year because they have Chicharito. That wouldn't be the case with any of those other guys. It might only be slight hyperbole to suggest as he's already as big in L.A. as Lebron is.

Darth McClain and heels1785 like this.
  5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
  6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    jay berhalter

[​IMG]

7. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003

positively scrumtrulescent.

8. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I dunno. I find it completely indistinct from almost anything else, not uniquely MLS, and not the sort of anthem I associate with soccer. I think it sounds more like a generic movie trailer. I don't think it's as good as the old anthem

9. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    ICYMI, Columbus Crew announced their new Jersey Sponsor yesterday. And, in my extremely biased opinion, it's the best sponsor in the league. Makes the kits look even better:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    agree, those look great. also led me down the rabbit hole of the connections between nationwide insurance and nationwide children's hospital. :p

DarthIntegral likes this.
  11. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003

what the ****

EHT likes this.
  12. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    M LOL S

heels1785 likes this.
  13. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    @EHT, brutal on the martinez injury. still got tons of talent, but that's tough to lose the heart of the team.

victor wanyama transferring from spurs to montreal impact. think he could be a solid player in mls, and he's only 28. wasn't really seeing any playing time in the pl or european games.

EHT likes this.
  14. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, that yellow instead of a red for the goalie was pretty bad.

Yes, it’s going to be rough... Josef’s records are crazy and a big part of the team’s success, not to mention how much of a key representative of the team he is. Pity Martinez and Barco can make up some of it... but we also had some other big changes before this season started that could hurt more now, like losing Gressel.

heels1785 likes this.
  15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    (non-virus news)

[​IMG]

hell yeah, don garber. not his biggest fan, but this is a shot to the jaw of the federation. expand partnerships with the nwsl and get to work.

16. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Berhalter Bad, but not as Bad as Coronavirus, itself not as bad as the USSF's Legal Arguments: The US Soccer and MLS Thread

17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    had to abbreviate to work within the character limit. went with a math theme.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  18. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
  19. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Oh, wow - actual worthwhile content from the USSF

Darth McClain likes this.
  20. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    That'll never get old.

21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    one connection that I've only recently learned of during this pandemic - grant wahl, the gold standard when it comes to us soccer journalists, is married to one of the top infectious disease docs in nyc, dr. celine grounder. she is an incredibly impressive physician and researcher, worked heavily in combating and treating the most recent Ebola outbreak.

grant wrote that he walked her to work today, and she had one mask for her full shift. got to be terrifying.

22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    si fired grant wahl today, no severance or warning.

whatever barebones prop-up job maven (seattle-based vulture owners of si) was running is now as relevant as zombie deadspin, with the firings of ballard and wahl. so sad, i've got more back issues of si and annual almanacs with worn-down bindings my childhood than i can count.

23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I mean this with all due respect (which is none, BTW) - **** Maven and what they've turned the proud history of Sports Illustrated into.

24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Maven finds a new low:

Wahl’s response:

25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    he'll sue them (likely into oblivion, as their stock price is currently 0.48/share) for defaming him, and he'll win. what a pointless, petty unforced error by whoever the **** james heckman is.

good to see some pretty big names standing with grant, among them arlo white, woody paige, and peter king. also the SI union:

[​IMG]