main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Old Title Was Way Too Long: USMNT/MLS Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth McClain, Apr 25, 2010.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003

holy ****

DarthIntegral likes this.
  2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    san jose's keeper is worse than kepa.

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    lol @ Atlanta

heels1785 likes this.
  4. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    i just saw the goal (a beauty) and the red card. two tough ones for united.

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    it's all there for Columbus now in the group. Win tonight against RBNY and the group is ours!

6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, this tournament was a disaster for Atlanta. We should have just stayed home and practiced.

7. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Another good win for Columbus last night. Already qualified for the knockout stage, and in prime position to win the group. Plus, they did it with good squad rotation, three players making their first starts last night (including Gregg Berhalter's son, Sebastian)

8. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    el trafico is a mess thusfar.

although i had no idea lafc had vela (rostered), rossi, and wright-phillips. holy hell, what an embarrassment of attacking riches to play in this league.

9. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    The most MLS thing ever is the VP of Brand and Community for LAFC predicting - and calling for - the end of the name "El Trafico" because he"thinks" the fans will want something more authentic such as the "LA Derby" ... When El Trafico was a name created by the fans

DarthTunick , EHT and heels1785 like this.
  10. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    yo inty

the crew look good. nagbe 43/43 passing accuracy in 80 min. ^:)^

11. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    To go through the group undefeated and without conceding a goal, while doing heavy squad rotation, and playing some young academy kids? That's phenomenal.

I think Porter has in his mind that MLS is Back Tournament might be the only meaningful games in MLS this year - we may not resume the season in any meaningful way. And, so, I think he's going for broke to win the tournament. It makes sense, and it's exactly what I want him to do. There's no guarantee of matches in a month's time, so win the matches in front of you and try to get some silverware.

The one concern is injuries. Vito Woomgoor (MLS player, not a Tolkien character I am surprised to find out) got injured in the first game against FC Kentucky, and when he went to get evaluated by a doctor and left the bubble, he was declared ineligible for the rest of the tournament. I suspect the same will happen to Youness Mokhtar, with the injury he picked up last night.

heels1785 likes this.
  12. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    [face_not_talking]

13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Agreed. Considering everything this year has encompassed and the sports drought on top of it, I felt horrid for Atlanta fans.

I reacted like a child was born after the Union went for the third in their undefeated streak. I wish all sports fans could get some of that under these circumstances.

EHT likes this.
  14. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Rew likes this.
  15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    little closer to duke royal blue than carolina blue, but not terrible. will be cool to have another team in the southeast (i don't count anything in florida).

Rew likes this.
  16. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    I guess it’s time for me to start taking an interest in soccer now. :p

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL, I can’t.

18. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    “Charlotte FC” isn’t a bad name, I like simplicity for soccer / football team names. But that logo and the “minted” thing... yeah, not great. Anyway, welcome to MLS.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I suppose it could be worse. I don't know how. But I imagine it could. The minted bit really is ghastly.

20. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Kinda wish MLS is Back was more like NWSL Challenge Cup - with seeded knockout stage - than a Group Stage with pre-determined pairings from Group results to knockout stage.

Columbus Crew's reward for going undefeated in group play? A knockout stage match with Minnesota United, meaning two of the four teams to not be defeated at all (during MLS is Back or during the brief regular season) will square off in the round of sixteen. Seeding after the knockout round would put Columbus on pace to face one of the wildcard teams - likely NYCFC or Houston Dynamo.

Okay, but can you start a grassroots movement locally to have one of the supporters groups be the "YASS QUEENS BRIGADE", wherein the entire section is drag queens cheering on the team from the queen city?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    inty, that blows. i am sorry to see it, had a good run.

22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Penalties are a cruel way to end any tournament run.

But hey. One less thing to care about

heels1785 likes this.
  23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    On the bright side, FC Kentucky also lost last night, meaning we don't have to deal with them advancing further in the tournament than we did. Thankfully.

24. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    BTW, does the winner of this tournament get the legit MLS title or is it something else?

25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    i think it's a unique trophy, not the mls cup. they will qualify for concacaf champions league next year, though.