main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Old Title Was Way Too Long: USMNT/MLS Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth McClain, Apr 25, 2010.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Same. The stupid blackout rules killed my interest level the past two years. It's idiotic that moving back to Ohio made it more difficult for me to watch Crew games, but it did. I know the new Apple deal removes all blackouts, but I can't say I'll burning with desire to sign up for Apple+ to watch The Crew

EHT likes this.
  2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Man you don't actually sign up for Apple+, you sign up for the free trial of Apple+ and then buy the season-long subscription at a discount before immediately cancelling your Apple+. :p

Or in my specific case you spend way too much money on your first new phone in a decade and say "Eh, **** it, what's another $80?"

Last edited: Feb 22, 2023
  3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Same here, it's not worth signing up to watch Atlanta United at this point. We're also no longer motivated to go to games in person like we used to be.

4. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    So I got curious about the exclusivity of this deal. Looking at Atlanta’s schedule as an example, I see a few games on Fox or FS1, like last year… on those days the Apple TV+ option says free. Last year we couldn’t watch the others because they were either blacked out or on Bally Sports, which few carriers have. And on the rest of the days now (the majority, the ones not on Fox or FS1), the Apple TV+ option says MLS Season Pass. It took some looking to determine that that is not included with an Apple TV+ subscription, and to find this pricing. LOL.

“MLS Season Pass will be $14.99 per month or $99 a season. Apple TV+ subscribers will be able to purchase it at $12.99 per month and $79 per season. Season-ticket holders to MLS clubs will receive subscriptions as part of their ticket benefits.”

Edit: And now Ramza’s post above makes more sense. :p

Last edited: Feb 23, 2023
  5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    For zero blackouts, it's a really good deal at that price.

I just don't know that MLS hasn't killed off a lot of my interest

EHT likes this.
  6. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Agree with you about MLS (and in my case, also Atlanta United specifically). But I'm not even sure the "no blackouts" thing would justify it anyway for me... blackouts are a really annoying thing that we shouldn't be conditioned to accept unless we pay extra to avoid them, IMO. For comparison: I pay $4.99 a month for Peacock in order to watch Premier League (all games), and $4.99 a month for Paramount+ in order to watch Champions League and Europa League (all games). I guess we'll just be watching the Atlanta games that are on Fox or FS1 (and that will probably be enough frustration anyway, haha).

7. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Streaming options are uniformly more expensive in country of origin so it’s to be expected. Compared to other domestic sports it’s a good deal, compared to the sheer quality of football those cheaper options will net you it’s more dicey, but chunks of the MLS calendar don’t overlap there which makes it odd. I personally will happily sit through a lot of football on any given weekend, so I think it’s fine. They should consider a discounted single club option, though (and a real discount not MLB’s $20 shrug).

Last edited: Feb 24, 2023
    EHT likes this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I logged on tonight to watch the Charlotte FC inaugural game (or to switch back and forth between it and the Hornets game). Not paying for a season pass, and of course when I clicked to watch the game it asked for my location.

Tonight’s game is sold out, but I guess I’ll miss any others not sold out or not on Fox or FS1.

9. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I believe that’s just default behavior for sports on Apple, it doesn’t actually gate you. It asked for my location and I do have a pass.

Mind you I can’t actually double check this for the United match because by god I’m watching this frustrating display of sterile control in person. :p

Last edited: Feb 25, 2023
  10. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Holy **** I can jinx I my analysis in both threads! Can’t fault the results though.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2023
  11. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Almada! Two goals in stoppage time to get the win, nice.

Ramza likes this.
  12. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    [​IMG]

The supporters section went all out. Thankful someone from the opposite side of the stadium posted a pic cuz we were right next to this and couldn’t see it well. Nashville had a great result with my man, Zimmerman, scoring the first goal of the season tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EHT likes this.
  13. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Would’ve been incredible to watch in any context, but after sitting through 90 minutes of frustration as nobody was able to find the target? Transcendent.

Although they need to get the Giakoumakis situation sorted quickly, I have never seen a game plan so reliant on a 9 that literally wasn’t there.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2023
    EHT likes this.
  14. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    @EHT caught a good bit of the charlotte/atlanta game today, united was sharp from the start and cruised in the second half. dominating mid-to-weaker teams on the road is a good sign this early in the season.

EHT likes this.
  15. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Watching the match now and hot damn that third goal was a sight to behold. I don’t know how long we’ll have Almada pulling the strings since he keeps playing at that level, but I’m going to enjoy it while it lasts.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2023
    EHT and heels1785 like this.
  16. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    A quick, but hearty, lol @ Austin FC (and I will always hate the ****ers who run that club) for their embarrassing flame out in CONCACAF Champions League.

Playing against a side from the Haitian League, which is currently suspended, meaning the team hadn't played a game in 290 days before the first leg of the series. Playing a team that had visa issues and could only travel with three total subs, and did not have a backup keeper.

They lost 3-2 on aggregate.

[​IMG]

heels1785 , EHT and Ramza like this.
  17. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    The USMNT news this week is just infuriating. “Sure Gregg Berhalter may have assaulted his partner, and sure he may be tactically inept, and sure he may not actually play his best players, but just look at that hangdog expression! He’s learned his lesson! Let’s keep him in the running.”

Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
  18. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    And now Atlanta beat Portland yesterday 5-1. Becoming cautiously optimistic that maybe things are finally turning around here… don’t want to jinx it though. :p

Ramza and heels1785 like this.
  19. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003

bah gawd. ramza this is your guy again.

EHT, Darth_Accipiter and Ramza like this.
  20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Fans of other clubs: “You know he only played in a couple of World Cup matches, right?”
    Thiago Almada: “And I took that personally.”

EHT and heels1785 like this.
  21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    i can't wait for boehly to bankroll the next 30 years of atlanta united's mls dominance by paying 100 million for him in the summer, and then loaning him back or something bc chelsea.

EHT and Ramza like this.
  22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm pretty sure that scoreline is being reported backwards

23. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    So we’re officially a one-man team, ouch.

Edit: Well, okay, we were actually missing a good chunk of the starters but I assume the Crew was in a similar boat. Embarrassing. And also kind of baffled that MLS does this; like, every other league took the weekend off for a reason you goobers.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
  24. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, it’s annoying. The rest of the world is off for international break.
    MLS: “We’re playing as usual!”

25. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    The diving from Cincy was obnoxious. Nashville couldn’t finish an effort tonight so I’m fine with the loss but I hate diving. It makes me not want to be a fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk