main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~*The Oldbies Writing Guild*~ *2001 and Before*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Miana Kenobi, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I figured it was about time that we have a place for those of us who have been here "forever" to sit down and chat about fan fiction. Those of us who remember Snowboards and the glory of UBB, the days when there was only a handful of writers in Fan Fiction, and the glorious days of endless Obi-torture fics.

Note: As much as we love everyone on the board, this is a discussion for writers who were here in 2001 or before. Sorry, guys, but you aren't "oldbies" yet! ;)

So, let's begin, shall we?

Name:
    When did you join Fan Fiction and why?:
    Favorite characters to write:
    Favorite classic JC story:
    Favorite old writer (as in no longer active on the boards):
    First story, post date, and your thoughts on it now:
    Reason for sticking around?:

I guess I get to start...

Name: Rachel (I've grown accustomed to Mi)
    When did you join Fan Fiction and why?: November... 21? 1999. A friend got me hooked on a story here ("My Dear Padme"), and I came here to read it. And, well, here I am. :)
    Favorite charactres to write: Obi-Wan definitely. He's the most interesting person in the GFFA, in my opinion. Other than him, I love writing Han and Leia.
    Favorite classic JC story: "Obi-Wan's Shotgun Wedding." I read that story so many times when I needed a laugh. [face_laugh]
    Favorite old writer (as in no longer active on the boards): Amidolee! I remember her Sabé stories way back when!
    First story, post date, and your thoughts on it now: "A Jedi Christmas Carol," it's now deleted (thank god), but I think it was late Nov/early Dec, 1999. My thoughts on it now: "Why oh why did I repost it in 2000?" :p
    Reason for sticking around?: I love it here and I love to write. :)

2. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    This is great, Mi!

Name: Emily (Emmi)

When did you join Fan Fiction and why?: I think I started visiting sometime in 2000. I joined for the first time in 2001, I believe, under the name Raysa_Skywalker. I've had various other names since then; this one is the only one that stuck.

Ironically enough, I joined the boards because I liked Callista. For those of you who know me, you can see the irony here.

Favorite characters to write: Luke Skywalker and Mara Jade, bar none.

Favorite classic JC story: Shackled Past by RebelMom

Favorite old writer (as in no longer active on the boards): Marawannabe and her story A Little Fall of Rain. I adored that girl. Twas she who dubbed me "Emmi"! I miss her muchly...

Ugh. I still remember it. I called it Jedi Lost, and I typed it right into the post box. It was some stupid story about Luke Skywalker's lost daughter. How unoriginal. I'll get back to you on the post date.

EDIT: Post date here!:

Date Posted: 6/18/01 1:12pm Subject: Jedi Lost...

Reason for sticking around?: Used to be the general atmosphere at JC fanfiction...once upon a time it was known as the friendliest section of the JC, period. Now it's more for nostalgic reasons...and old friends like you, Mi-chan. ;)

3. The Musical Jedi

The Musical Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 1999
    Name: Rachel

When did you join Fan Fiction and why?: *checks her year* December 13, 1999... I came here because a friend of mine encouraged me to, though he's long gone. He hung out mainly in the Community forums anyway. ;)

Favorite characters to write: Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon, though not together... Not a big fan of JA. Also OCs, but they don't really count.

Favorite classic JC story: Sidenote: I joined My Dear Padme, and I keep thinking I'll go back and archive it to finish it. However, parts of the longer posts disappeared when we moved from the UBB (if I remember correctly). I ought to get in touch with the other authors to piece it back together. But my favorite (which I also helped write) was the USJS saga. That was so much fun. :)

Favorite old writer (as in no longer active on the boards): Either CYNICAL21 or Hiroko01.

First story, post date, and your thoughts on it now: The Truth About Beginnings. It had potential, except I didn't have any concept of planning ahead, so the whole thing was rather plotless. It was abandoned, as it should have been.

Reason for sticking around?: Tradition? I like the instant feedback, which you don't really get on FF.N, although I do feel limited by the family-friendly policy in some things as well as the cliques that haved formed. It didn't use to be like this. :( Also, I enjoy the friends I've made, though many have moved on.

EDIT: Made the post more readable. :)

4. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    There's hope tha MPD might actually be finished? Yay!! :)

5. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    Okay, here's the result from the Corellian jury -

Name: Roslyn

March 2000? That rings a vague bell, I think. Why? Coz it looked fun - and I love fun things! :D

To write? Probably Qui-Gon. Fave characters are probably Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon, equally.

Am I allowed to nominate one I started? The self-proclaimed classic and King of Round Robins, 'A Night to (almost) Remember.'

Amidolee or Jedi Daphne. Princess Sari is much missed, too.

'Lions and Tigers and Padawans, Oh My!' Can't remember the exact date, except it was the day after I joined, so March 2000 I think. LT&P still makes me laugh. It seems somewhat rough and unsophisticated, but I'm biased enough to think that it adds to the charm! ;) Besides, whatever it's faults I still love the title! :)

Reason for sticking around?: Because of all the wondeful people I've met over the years, many of whom I am honoured to count as some of my best friends both on and off screen. I've even met some of them thanks to TF.Net, and considering I live in Scotland and they live in the USA, that's no mean feat! :) So I have much to be grateful for where Fan Fiction is concerned.

6. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Name: Sarah

When did you join Fan Fiction and why?: Sept 2000. I joined because I was interested in a story written by Amidolee, which inspired me to give writing a try myself here. Jemmiah's writing as well also played a part. As well as JediGaladriel's.
    Favorite characters to write: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Han Solo, and Princess Leia.
    Favorite classic JC story: By the Grace of Lady Vader is one of many. :)
    Favorite old writer (as in no longer active on the boards): Amidolee.
    First story, post date, and your thoughts on it now: I don't recall the post date. But it was about Handmaidens, and was filled with mistakes.
    Reason for sticking around?: Because of all the great stories my favorite writers write. I wouldn't be here if they weren't right now.

7. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    Name: Kathy

When did you join Fan Fiction and why?: May of 1999...and I stumbled on it looking up SW pants jokes.

Favorite characters to write: Lukie, Corran and Jacen

Favorite classic JC story: Ooh this is tough! Probably...um...this is like asking me to pick a favorite movie! I refuse! ;)

Favorite old writer (as in no longer active on the boards): Jedi Gimpy

First story, post date, and your thoughts on it now: NO idea on post date, but my first solo story was Remnants of the Jedi, which was horrid. I rewrote it years later in, Shadows of a Past Long Forgotten and was pretty pleased with it's rewrite at least. :)

Reason for sticking around?: Nothing better to do? *ducks* Or more likely because I love to write, and I love the immediate feed back here, and the friends I have made. :)

8. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    Miana: It's on my very long list of things to do, but I always felt that it was a sin to leave it undone. However, to do it correctly, I'd like to get the original posts that got cut off from the original authors. I could probably finish it on my own (I remember most of our plan), but I can't justify rewriting the missing parts. :(

Jemmiah: I think you're allowed to nominate that one! Such a great story...

9. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Miana, this is a fantastic. I can't wait to see those who may still be around.

My original registeration date was 1-18-00, though my first user name, HealerLeona :D) was crunched in the great UBB move to Snowboards. I had been introduced to the boards by my daughter after TPM and read a number of stories, but hadn't registered until I started posting my my.

Favorite characters to write: Hmmmm, that's a hard one.... not so , I lie! [face_laugh] First up would be Qui-Gon Jinn, the ultimate example of Jedi as they should be in my eyes and then Obi-Wan.

Favorite classic JC story: It would have to be Jemmiah's RR A Night To (Almost) Remember. It was the most fun to play in and still the funniest thread I've ever written, thanks to those many who contributed.

Favorite old writer (as in no longer active on the boards): Jane Jinn, the creator of An-Paj and Queen of Obi-Torture, I missed that she's left JA behind. :(

An Ancient Lesson posted 1-18-00. Thoughts on it... it's okay... I have improved, but it's still only done in fun and pleasure for me.

Reason for sticking around?: It had been my fun away from the rigors of RL. I've made some of my best friends ever on these boards and thought this place was only short of heavenly.

10. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    *cringes at the thought of the UBB migration*

It's so great to see everyone in here!! It's like a high school reunion... or not. :p

MJ: As to the chopping of posts, trust me, I know. It's really frustrating. When I was going back and saving my early stories for the upcoming move, I followed a link that led me to the old JC board to get my story. Since the JC got a face lift, the links were all cut off suddenly. I finally found the transferred thread and saw that the entire ending was missing. :(

But, if you could get MDP back in action, even to finish it, that would be totally awesome. :)

11. Pallas-Athena

Pallas-Athena TFN Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 4 VIP

Nov 29, 2000
    Oh, cool idea, Mi!

Name: Jenn, but everyone calls me Atty or Jayen
    When did you join Fan Fiction and why?: I first visited tf.n to get some way early spoilers on AotC and happened upon the 2SA (yipes!) and found my way here around Oct. '00, got myself a name and started posting on the stories I liked.
    Favorite characters to write: I'm known for A/P, but currently I'm enjoying an OC kick.
    Favorite classic JC story: Oh, geez, there are so many! By the Grace of Lady Vader maybe?
    Favorite old writer (as in no longer active on the boards): Again with the choices! More than one: JG, Anakin's Angel, ami-padme.
    First story, post date, and your thoughts on it now: Destiny's Choice, June 2001. Pretty fun bunny. I've been meaning to rewrite it, but it'll never happen :p
    Reason for sticking around?: Um, I'm insane? I like the community, the style and the layout, the quality of the fic here.

12. Jaya Solo

Jaya Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 1999
    Wow! I remember some of those stories! :)

Name: Jaya Solo? I think? or do I have another name? I can?t remember. (I often confuse my forum name with my real name. A good sign I?ve been sending way too many PMs lately.)
    When did you join Fan Fiction and why?: Way, way, way back in July ?99. As to why? I don?t remember that very well because it was so long ago. I think that I finished reading the books, and as I was waiting around for the next book I discovered fan fiction. Such great stories. I didn?t start writing until recently, but I was an avid fan fiction fan.
    Favorite characters to write: Not sure really. I guess I like writing all of the characters in my story ? Wes, Luke and Mara, and all of the wonderful children I created.
    Favorite classic JC story: Wow. I can?t remember? How about favorite un-finished Classic JC story: Jedi Dreams by Alli-Wan. I also liked ?What kissing leads to? and so on. There are waaaaaaaay too many to list!
    Favorite old writer (as in no longer active on the boards): Alli-Wan.
    First story, post date, and your thoughts on it now: Um? well, it wasn?t that long ago? so around 12/6/03 was when I first officially posted a part of my story on the boards.
    Reason for sticking around?: All of the fantastic stories! I can barely keep fan fiction straight from what?s written in the novels. :)

13. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Oh wow, Alli-Wan... Jedi Dreams... I'd forgotten about her and those wonderful fics of hers, uncompleted. :( :( She was the coiner of the 'iffy post'! LOL!

Hey all, perhaps we should dig and contribute links to the classic stories we list... others may visit this and it would give them get the chance to enjoy those stories we loved.

14. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    Name: Mindy

When did you join Fan Fiction and why?: First in September of 99 under the name Mouse, but that name was lost in one of the many board failures while I was on reading. Rejoined in October 99 as Mouse2 thinking it might happen again, but nope and I've been stuck with the 2 ever since. Why? Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan of course. I was obsessed and wanted to read more of their adventures.

Favorite characters to write: Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan as well as a few OC's ;)

Favorite classic JC story: Gotta be A Night to (almost) Remember. If it wasn't for that story I wouldn't still be here now.

Favorite old writer (as in no longer active on the boards): Lwyn'nya Kenobi and Jedi Obi-Wan Kenobi. Their stories The Face of Enemy and Requiem for a Padawan respectively sucked me in making me stay.

First story, post date, and your thoughts on it now: Promises Kept, 1/14/00. I was quite impressed with myself at the time that I actually wrote and finished something. Now after major editing, I still quite like it and I'm in the middle of reposting it! :D

Reason for sticking around?: The wonderful friends I've made here. Plus I really want to see what kind of trouble Jemmy and Rela will get Qui and Obi into next. ;)

15. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    Geez. I feel a little scared that I'll lose my user name and posts after the move. I know I can get the name back, but not the "I joined back in July 1999" status. :( I think I was oblivious the last time around so I didn't notice much of the changes except the links changed and a few of the posts were really funny.

Yes, we should make up a list of fics that we loved. :) That would be great!

16. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    Mindy - that's not a '2'. It's a little curly tail on the end of Mouse! :)

17. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    *You're* afraid to lose your posts, Jaya? I have over 18,000! [face_worried]

Name: Rachel (there are far too many of us)

When did you join Fan Fiction and why?: I was a JC member before I came to FF. I was strictly Classic Trilogy forum back then, with a dash of Lit (funny, since I never have really been an EU reader :p). I read a lot of SW FF, so when I got my own ideas, I chimed in... that was Fall of 00.

Favorite characters to write: I find Obi-Wan to be the most complex and interesting, though I also enjoy writing Anakin/Vader more and more. He's just tougher because he's the complete opposite personality of Obi-Wan and I'm a lot like Obi-Wan (I'm a schmuck :(). Then, of course, my roots of Han and Leia... I'm starting to feel like a poor man's version of Miana :p

Favorite classic JC story: While You Were Gone... yikes, *still* not finished?!

Favorite old writer (as in no longer active on the boards): Well StonedRose of course :p To be honest, I know there were others, but I was bad and didn't post in all the ones I read. Plus I read a lot of people's stuff off-site... Corellian Embassy, anyone?

First story, post date, and your thoughts on it now: [Threepio]I'm going to regret this[/Threepio]
    High Treason, a story between ANH and ESB where Han is suspected by the Rebellion of being an Imperial traitor. Not a terrible idea, but a pretty embarassing effort in retrospect. Hey, I was 13 :p Gladly, the four stories I wrote then are all on the Classic Board now where no one will read them ;)

Reason for sticking around?: That's easy. I'm still writing and still reading (much more now than then, I think). I dislike the cliquishness, but I have a few very good friends and I enjoy the exchange of stories with others. Plus, overall, I think the good (some *really* great stories) outweighs the bad.

-sj loves kevin spacey

18. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    I wouldn't be so upset if I lost posts during the move... but if my reg. date got screwed up again, that's another story.

And yes, far too many Rachels, LOL :p

19. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I hope we're keeping reg dates in the move. I know it's a bit childish, but it makes me happy to be able to show that I have board seniority, especially because I don't have real seniority :p

There were 3 Rachel W's in my theatre class of 20 people last year. There are something like 15 of them in my class overall. I have proposed we all change our names.

At least those who spell it 'Rachael' should be forced to [face_plain] What *is* that?!

-sj loves kevin spacey

20. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    Name: MariahJade2

I found this site around August 00 looking for fan fiction, and lurked for quite a while until I got up the nerve to join so I could reply to some of the great stories I was reading.

Luke, Leia, Mara, some OC's.

Everyone comes to Doran's place.

http://boards.theforce.net/Fan_Fiction_Stories--Classic_JC_Board_(Reply-Only)/b10016/3010169/p1

This is too hard. I don't want to pick a favorite. Raissa Baird, KnightMara, Padawan Di-Lee, there are others.

I haven't posted most of my stories. They are safley on my harddrive where I have yet to finish about four of them. I've got an early NJO missing scene on the classic board and had a blast doing a round robin with Rebel Mom and gang. All I can say about my early stuff is that I wish I knew then what I know now. ;)

Reason for sticking around?:

The really huge salary I get at the Archive. ;)
    Oh, and I like to hang out with SW geeks. :p

21. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    Yeah, I'm still waiting on "While you were gone." I know it's childish, but I'm proud of how long I've been here and how many times I've posted. Guess I'll do a screen capture. ;)

22. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    My Dear Padme

And thanks to Miana, I've put together the whole story into an MS Word doc... Although one post got cut off. I'll probably work on finishing it and then repost the whole thing, with co-author approval, of course.

That, and work on my fic for my sock. *sigh* [face_plain] So much to do, so little time...

EDIT: I supposed I should put the links to my favorite story. Heh.

The Ultra Stressed Jedi Students

The Ultra Stressed Jedi Students: The Continuing Saga - I can't seem to find this one. It appears to have completely disappeared from the boards, because no one has it in there previous posts either. Strange.

Part III of the Ultra Stressed Jedi Students

The Ultra Stressed Jedi Students, Part IV

The Ultra Stressed Jedi Students Play Truth or Dare

23. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Oh, the USJS stories. Thanks for posting that. I've been hoping to read the series again, but haven't had luck so far finding the links. 8-}

24. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Oh man... USJS was one of those where I started to read it, but fell so far behind that I never got it. *Adds it to list of stories to read*

MJ, awww... MDP is just too good of a story to let it sit there. :)

25. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    Thanks Jem! Never thought of the '2' that way. That make me feel a whole lot better about it. :p

Anyone remember the Luuuuv Triangle? I think that was another one of Alli-Wan's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.