main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~*The Oldbies Writing Guild*~ *2001 and Before*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Miana Kenobi, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Any more thoughts on the challenge? :)

2. Ty-gon Jinn

Ty-gon Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 12, 2000
    Name: Tyler (though I like Ty-gon just fine)
    When did you join Fan Fiction and why?: Way back in January 2000, to read some stuff a friend who now posts under "Jedi Obi-wan" wrote.
    Favorite characters to write: O/Cs.
    Favorite classic JC story: "Obi-wan's Shotgun Wedding" was a classic
    Favorite old writer (as in no longer active on the boards): Jane Jinn isn't still around, is she?
    First story, post date, and your thoughts on it now: Back in February of 2000, I posted "My Young Apprentice," which was a piece of crap that was very fortunately lost way back when we moved to Snowboards.
    Reason for sticking around?: I enjoy writing here... though I tend to subject my readers to unannounced absences (sorry again!!)

3. Ty-gon Jinn

Ty-gon Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 12, 2000
    And this challenge would involve putting your OC in an actual movie event? Say, the destruction of Alderaan, the evacuation of Bespin, something of the like? Because mine tend to mix with movie characters at Saga times no matter which era I write... ;)

4. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Huh. I'm not sure about Jane. I haven't seen her in a while...

And to sound like a broke record, any more thoughts on the challenge? :p

5. Calamity Jinn

Calamity Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2000
    I quite like the class gone wrong theme. But how about opening it up a little to a lesson gone wrong? (Mainly because it's easier for a first challenge! :p)

6. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    I kind of like the idea of a class or a lesson gone wrong myself.

I think Jane has somewhat gone into retirement. I think she visits occasionally. The last time I saw her she posted on Lilith Demodae's Crash Course 2.

7. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Name: Briana
    When did you join Fan Fiction and why?: I was pointed to the UBB site by my friend Rani Veko, but that reg was lost in the move, so from May 2000, it became July 2000.
    Favorite characters to write: Other than OCs? Pilots.

Favorite classic JC story: Jedi Galadriel's The Penitent. Without a doubt the story that hooked me on fan fic as possibly great literature. This was a rivetting read, her concept brilliant, and her portrayals of the canon characterisations were so perfect. I even sent her a couple of sketches for her website.

Favorite old writer (as in no longer active on the boards): Definitely CYNICAL21, although many of you have mentioned familiar, much missed names. One who hasn't been mentioned: Albion, who wrote so very well and made me adore his unusual, flawed, and fascinating characters.

First story, post date, and your thoughts on it now: OMG... The first one was part of the ill-fated Silly Squadron, but shortly after the move to Snowboards, I started posting in USJS Chapter IV. That post date... 08/ 02/00, 10:10 pm... My first solo story was The Martyrs, which is on hiatus, but will be moving along as soon as Last Chance is done. That was started May 19, 2001.

Reason for sticking around?: Well, there's these stories I keep trying to finish... and more bunnies that keep nipping at my ankles... :)

Seriously, it's the wonderful people, the feedback, the community feeling, the awareness that if/when I ever meet any of you in person, we'll have this great wide common ground. :)

*Derisa*

8. The Musical Jedi

The Musical Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 1999
    Derisa! Good to see you! How have you been?

9. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Other than a Sithly case of pneumonia, which is now, finally, abating, I've been pretty good, Musicalla. My kids are older, the job is somewhat less hectic, and I have regular if unpredicatble internet access. You? :)

I miss writing with you. I miss Ieron and Tobias. :)

*Derisa*

10. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Hi Derisa!!! :)

Okay, so before I write it out, are there any objections whatsoever to a lesson/class gone wrong challenge?

11. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    None, except that I've been hardily vetoed, but I'm sure my ego will recover. ;)

Derisa - Life is hectic since it's midsemester, but I can't really complain. I enjoy being busy; keeps me out of trouble. I'm glad to hear that things are going well for you! I miss writing with you as well. I miss Kaline, Reis-An, and especially Ciaran.

I also miss Traitorous Knight, but I won't complain long or loud over it. ;)

12. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    I will finish TK. eventually. Do you know, I have about three thousand words on my old Mac of later posts for that story: Obi-Wan in the tournament, the miracle of the field, the kidnapping, and rescue of Guinevere, the betrayal... all written, but inaccessible without a Mac monitor. :(

I miss Ciaran too. But he was designed to be missed. >:)

How is school going?

Have fun with the challenges: I'd be happy to read along, maybe as an impartial commentator if y'all need one. :) I've judged a couple of official challenges before.

*Derisa*

13. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    *sigh*

Such memories at seeing so many oldbies here and reading the names of characters I remember from what seems so long ago... ahhhhhh....

14. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Someday, there should be an oldbie round-robin.

15. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    It does seem like it was such a long time ago...

I missed Ciaran even before he was gone. Even though from the outset we had decided what would happen to him, I remember thinking as we came up to that point, Does he really have to die? Maybe we can do this some other way... I get rather attached to these characters. [face_blush]

As for school, it's going well. I'm taking an overload of credit hours this semester in hopes of having an easy senior year. I have had a great opportunty in working in the Infant Motor Development lab, which has been extremely fun. It's always nice to see people who aren't 18~28 on campus, and the babies are so cute. [face_love] It's hard to believe I'll be a senior next year. Where'd the time go?

All those posts and no monitor? That's a crime. But it's good to know it's written.

Are you still working on getting a novel published? Do I remember correctly that you had one submitted, or was it just close to that point?

16. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    Currently in substantive re-write, actually. And I've not had the time to devote to it since June last year. :( That's changing now that life is settling for me. Still gotta make a living, though. :)

Senior year is a busy one for most, I'm sure. That's neat about being able to work with kids.

An oldbies round robin... what a cute idea! That'd be such fun...

*Derisa*

17. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    None, except that I've been hardily vetoed, but I'm sure my ego will recover. ;). LOL. Sorry, babe. ;)

Yes! TK needs to be finished. :p It was such an awesome story! :(

An Oldbie round robin... WOW. That would be way too fun. Oh, the possibilities. :p

18. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    I think we would go nuts with an Oldbie round robin... [face_devil]

19. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    A RR sound intriguing... though we do all have different likes as far as eras...where would we put it? I'm guessing it would be an AU type story?

20. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    We could always pull an Arin_Atona and start it out in Saga time, then fastforward... Or any era. I personally would like to see something bridging the two trilogies, but contained within them.

21. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Perhaps we could make it somehow go through all three? Like one big time jump from one era to the next? *guessing*

22. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    That would be so fun. Especially since we'd all have to write in each of the eras. I haven't written much in Before and haven't branched out much in Beyond.

23. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    I had another idea for the RR, but I'm not sure if people would like it.

I don't know if anyone else remembers the show "Quantum Leap," but it was this awesome show where this guy was lead around by a hologram and he "leaped" into different people in different parts of the world (I think it was mostly US people, though) all throughout history. He would have to remain as that person until he "fixed" something, but he never knew what it was he had to fix.

I thought maybe we could do something like that. Have someone in the SW universe "leap" into different people/aliens in different parts of the universe and into different eras. I thought a good subsitution for the hologram would perhaps be the a Force Ghost of some jedi or whatnot.

Does that make any sense to anyone? :p

24. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Guess the idea scared everyone off. :p

25. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    Nah... probably just too much weekend. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.