main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~*The Oldbies Writing Guild*~ *2001 and Before*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Miana Kenobi, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    LOL.... I just got a mental picture of Saved By the Bell: The New Class. :p

But it sounds fun! I'd definitely be apart of it. :D

2. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    They happened for particular reasons at a particular time (from memory) but I think it's a proble you'll find inherent in any round robin. It's just something you have to live with.

If there is interest I might see if I can do something about a starting scene and post it up. A good title (and not UsJs redone :p ) still alludes me however.

Kithera

3. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    The first title that popped into my mind was "Life, or Lack-thereof," but I think that moreso applies to us. ;)

Hmm....

4. The Musical Jedi

The Musical Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 1999
    A Student's Life... Or Lack Thereof? [face_thinking]

5. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    *Huggles icon* I love Lucky... Can I keep the icon? :p

6. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    Nope... and Ewan's gone too... :( Ah well.

7. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    I did like that green Ewan pic. It was very cool.

I like Student's Life of Lack-thereof but it could even just be shortened to "Students Life". I've had another couple of suggestions from Jane and when I get her permission I might post them up here to see what you guys think.

Kithera

8. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    Is it just me, or have the WR been really slow the last week or so?

9. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Tell that to the Writer's Race!

10. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    It has been slow....but then again most of th JC has been slow this week.

Two more suggestions for names (if people are still happy to help).

1) Temple Exchange
    2) We are not Saints but Seekers.

Kithera

11. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Where is Jane, by the way? :p

12. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    I believe she's gone into semi-retirement from the boards, although I believe she still follows a few stories. I can't really say for sure though, in case you didn't pick up on that. :p

Kit, I like that second name, but I'm not sure what you're going for with it. The students are seekers? Seems kind of deep for a USJS like thread. ;)

13. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Yeah, I'm practically retired from here, but I still pop in every so often to check on a few stories. On occasion, I also read some of the threads here in the WR.

We are not Saints, but Seekers was my suggestion to Kit', and I was thinking that maybe We are not Saints would be a good abbreviation for it. I was thinking that many people on Coruscant would think of the Jedi as being some kind of near-perfect, super-human (or other species, as the case may be) and then the exchange students would find out that everybody has difficulties and weaknesses in life. So it's not so much about the students being seekers, but about the Jedi not being saints. I think that's something that came through very well in the original USJS.

Before you all ask, I'm not really interested in participating. I'm currently trying to write a book with an eye to submitting it to a publisher, and that's taking all my "writing time." But when I was lurking on this thread a few days ago, I saw the suggestion about USJS, and the phrase just sudddenly jumped into my mind. So I took the opportunity to contact Kit' and catch up a little with her.

A hearty hello to everybody! :)

14. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    JANE! [:D] Hello to you as well!

It's great to hear from you. Good luck on the book! :D

Hmmm... I like We Are Not Saints...[face_thinking]

15. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    Hey Jane! [:D]

It's good to see you! I hope the book writing is going well. Let us know if the publishers give you a thumbs up! I know I'd buy your book, if for no other reason that to tell other people I wrote with you online. ;)

Knowing the idea behind it, I like that title, although it does sound a little awkward to me. Maybe something like just Not Saints? Though I'm not too crazy about that either. Hmmm...

16. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Holy cow, hi, jane!

17. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Miana, Musical, the book is being written with a specific religious audience in mind, but I'll certainly tell everybody if it gets published -- if I get it written, of course. These last two weeks, I've been suffering from some virus or something and can only concentrate for about five minutes at a time. I've tried to write, but it seems that I delete more than I actually add, so I've given it up for the moment.

Hi, Ish!

I was just thinking about the suggestion Temple Exchange and wondering why it sounded like a stop on the London Underground. Or was it a street somewhere that had the word "Exchange" in it? Can't remember. Can't find it on my map, unless I'm thinking of the Royal Exchange. But it brought to mind the famous "Mind the Gap," which, in my fevered state, I thought I'd suggest. As in, "mind the gap" between Jedi and non-Jedi?

*sees everybody wrinkling their brows and shaking their heads*

You're right. It must be time for me to lay down again.

18. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    What's really scary is that reminds me of my own thought process... I think the Temple Exchange is a good, descriptive title of what's actually happening. The question is, is Kit wanted to describe what the story is? Or kind of give it inspiration direction?

Wow that got rather deep. ;)

Hope you feel better soon, Jane. I have to say, though, I wish I could blam my lack of an attention span on a virus. :p

19. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    I hope the virus passes, Jane! Get well soon!

Yeah, do you have a general idea as to where this should go, Kit?

20. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Oh, gosh, I love Mind the Gap! I've been to the UK several times and always love those signs. They're almost as good as "Please verify the correctness of your ticket information before leaving the vendor as the situation cannot afterwards be rectified" at the UK theater where I saw TPM. What normal moviegoer in America says "Oh, I hope they got this right. It can't be rectified!"

21. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Hey, jane, what exactly is the book about? can you pm me info?

22. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Descriptors and maybe a little way of where it should go.

Hope you feel better Jane!

Kit

23. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    LOL, there IS a "Temple" stop on the London Underground, Jane, you're not imagining things!

And [:D] I was actually thinking about you the other day; started with a passing thought of Alta Corona and a lot of fond memories came back!

The Temple stop in London, which most people know of as a site for the law courts of London, was originally part of the Preceptory of the Knights Templar, the warrior-monks of the Catholic church who were disbanded and persecuted in the early 14th-century at the urging of King Philip of France. I always think that they were a major model for the Jedi; the stories are just so similar.

24. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Ha, I knew it.

25. womp_rat208

womp_rat208 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 1999
    Name: Matt
    When did you join Fan Fiction and why?: I started reading various fics online.
    Favorite characters to write: Rogue Squadron, Wraith Squadron, Jaina Solo, Jag Fel, Wedge Antilles
    Favorite classic JC story: Man... off the top of my head, Shackled Past by RebelMom. Just an awesome story.
    Favorite old writer (as in no longer active on the boards): I'm so inactive here now that I have no idea who is active and who is not.
    First story, post date, and your thoughts on it now: Invasion, no idea what the post date was cause one of the moves ate the original. And it sucks. LOL. In bad need of a re-write, which will probably never happen.
    Reason for sticking around?: I haven't really. Been back lately to read RM's latest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.