main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The One Canon

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sinrebirth , Aug 18, 2015.

1. RogueWhistler

RogueWhistler Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2021
    Durge was already resurrected in Galaxies, and I think was even left as a loose end there, so showing up again post-ESB in canon fits perfectly.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  2. Irredeemable Fanboy

Irredeemable Fanboy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 27, 2020
    He was? I didin't know that, i just checked it on the wook,really interesting, more reasons to play Galaxies one day.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
    Sinrebirth likes this.
  3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    @Irredeemable Fanboy I take it you're referencing the not-looking-much-like-him Durge from the Galaxies game? Oh, no, wait, he's in Canon too.

I mean we saw his remnants regrouping and recreating him.

Anakin is an arrogant so-and-so and assumes he mind-tricked the entire amount of him into the escape pod and into the sun, or he just simply didn't go into the sun, is easy enough. Sensors aren't perfect the closer you are to the sun, after all.

4. Irredeemable Fanboy

Irredeemable Fanboy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 27, 2020
    I am checking the comic but i can't find where we see his remnants after he is presumed dead, but i can definetly see that a part of him could have been left in the spaceship before it exploded, something that slipped Anakin's attention, and remained mostly intact for him to be recreated in Galaxies.

It becomes less of a problem for One Canon and more of a problem with making sense of him being resurrected as he was in Galaxies, because it confirms it is not another man in the suit like i initially thought for Canon, the final outline would be that his pieces got picked up by the scientists, slowly regrown by them and put in a new suit of armor, more droid than Gen'dai, over time, he regained his original self regenerating further in the years that pass between Galaxies and the events of the Canon comics, and gets a new suit of armor that recreates his older suit.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  5. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    I do wonder, are the Gen'dai species aka Durge's species in any way related to Mggnal-Mggnal? There are similarities!

6. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2016
    They’re less goo and more a bundle of worms, aren’t they? They sort of remind me of the Lekgolo of Halo, which aren’t just one individual but an assembly of worm-muscles that take different shapes in clusters.

I think that a single Gen’Dai construct is an individual apart from other Gen’Dai, but how do they reproduce? I imagine asexually, possibly by budding and spinning off a limb or cluster into developing a consciousness of its own. But then is Durge a lineage of Gen’Dai reproducing, or is Durge a ship of Theseus situation, where his early appearance in the Visionaries comic is not the same Durge from the Clone Wars, and in turn not the same from the Aphra comic, but the same biomass, body, and parts of consciousness that has been adapting and evolving for 1500 years. (Side note: Durge totally needs to reappear as a Nihil marauder in The High Republic!)

If anything, I think that Gen’Dai are actually closer to the arachnid Assemblers from the Bounty Hunter Wars, like Kudar Mu’Bat and his successor, Balancesheet. Both races are made of a bundle of nerves, one choosing an arachnid form and the other usually leaning towards humanoid forms—but they could even be the same race, with their primary cultural difference being their preferred body shape.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
  7. CosmoHender

CosmoHender Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2016
    One Canon question: When does Mon Mothma die? In Legends, she died in her sleep shortly before the Yuuzhan Vong War. In Canon, she was still alive during the events of Bloodlines and it was never confirmed when she died. So which is accurate?

Sinrebirth and Golbolco like this.
  8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Bloodlines has to take precedence, for now, because Mon Mothma is around after the YV War.

Same with Ackbar, after all.

I was half-tempted to suggest she faked her deaths to keep an eye on the Empire; Ackbar definitely took over the Resistance in Leia's absence, building off the Insiders from NJO.

Chrissonofpear2 and Golbolco like this.
  9. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Mon Mothma seeing the mess that is LOTF/FOTJ politics-wise and who gets elected must be glorious...
    and did she attend every single fake-burial ceremony of Pellaeon like the one he practiced in one of those books? I can see Mon attending just to not miss the real one whenever it comes. Heck, maybe her's was likewise a fake-one for celebration training purposes pre-NJO! But she kept on living like real world Queen and Queenmum!

Another OneCanon topic:

Sinre's OneCanon aside, there are other OneCanon attempts that follow a different approach. Where Sinre includes canon stuff into the Legends Timeline, others do the opposite and include Legends into the Canon one, or creating an entirely new one with elements from both. The difference is what one puts the focus on as unchangeable and what can be adapted, moved and shifted or reinterpreted to be fitteable.

But this aside, there is another question of how far a OneCanon might possible go. Bridging Legends and Canon is one thing, others in lack of new Legends lore outside of TOR have begun to add and use unpublished works or story concepts and ideas that have not been followed up on to further fill out the timeline, like the many Art of TFU game concept ideas all over the timeline for the future and other pieces of "could have been" that they add to their timeline to flesh it out even more.
    Then there is the headcanon that some other franchises entire can be merged into the GFFA (Willow on a planet, or even BSG or Dune in remote timeline placements akin to E.T. visiting earth and other real world / fictional GFFA crossovers). This can go to the extreme of Supernatual Encounters merging many references and mentions that were easter eggs in SW into potential bridges to other franchise universes without derailing the SW focus. Or it can go even further and one creates a Headcanon OneMultiverse that bridges all fictional worlds (kinda like DC/Marvel crossovers tried but even more allencompassing than ReadyPlayerOne and the Neverending Story that place all fictional worlds ever created in the same virtual or mindspaces somewhere somehow).
    And aside uniting all fictional worlds ever (and yes there are even franchise crossing guidebooks that list many of them as if they were real somewhere like an "Atlas to fictional places" and other such compiled works), there even are some crazy (or not so crazy?) attempts to interpret fiction as just another manifestation of reality and the mind and history. Myth is not fiction, or is now, but once was history and fact. Long forgotten times before our record began, ancient astronautics and space travel, etherical spiritual pasts unfathomable now but recorded to us as elvish times (Tolkien Mythology), and ancient spacetravel as in GFFA or BSG building from preastronautic believes. Even the Marvel Cosmis and DC one built of esoteric and spiritual believes and ideas and as crazy, colorful and weird as they are... the real world or spiritual inspirations for those are very interesting.

SW OneCanon with Legends focus
    SW OneCanon with Canon focus
    SW OneCanon with equal focus
    SW OneCanon including unpublished works
    SW OneCanon including storyhooks, ideas, concepts, even art only ideas
    SW OneCanon including other Franchises that fit
    SW OneCanon breaking the 4th Wall including Earth and the far future/past "real" world
    OneCanon of SW and other Franchises (fitting SW into others rather than the other way around)
    OneCanon of All fictional worlds ever
    OneCanon of Fiction, Myth and "Reality"

I'd like a poll where one stands of all of you, but for that I might need a new topic, or can one integrate polls into reply posts?

QuinlanSolo and Chrissonofpear2 like this.
  10. Chrissonofpear2

Chrissonofpear2 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 25, 2020
    Does Bloodline take place between Dark Nest 2 and 3, or prior? Given the discovery of Padme's identity is a major plot thread in that trilogy.
    Of course, a lot of time, for me, this is all broad strokes, anyway. Similar things happened, but needn't be nailed down to immutable duplicates.
    Fun to think First Order propaganda ala Before the Awakening exaggerated something like the Killik threat too (although maybe not all that much?)
    And nice that Jacen can sub for Ben if needed in Shadow of the Sith though, given the redating.

11. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    Jacen and Ben are too different at this point for any sub ins in my opinion

12. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Bloodline takes place in my mind at the very start of the year, with The Joiner King afterwards.

I need to think about the Padme point, because the Vader point is big enough in Bloodline!

13. CosmoHender

Dec 2, 2016
    Wait, have we also figured out what Lando's post-ROTJ timeline is like? While he did decide to become a hermit at the end of Shadow of the Sith, we know that he wasn't kept completely out of the loop since he sent Leia a message of support during Bloodlines.

Golbolco likes this.
  14. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    It really depends at this stage. He may have lost his daughter before he met Tendra. I do place Shadows of the Sith before NJO. We don’t see Lando after YJK and pre-NJO, after all.

SWpants likes this.
  15. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Lando is in the droid business in the NJO, aka YV-Hunter construction via Tendrando arms and all that! Before that he was in early NJO doing mining in Vector Prime. Later Lando helps Danni even on Dantooine. He was at Shelter base too.
    Lando is in Dark Nest prominently one of the most influential and rich business men of the galaxy, and involved in the business deals about the Thul family having bought some droid companies.

There is lots of lando in NJO and Dark Nest and LOTF onwards.
    https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Lando_Calrissian/Legends#Yuuzhan_Vong_War

So what are you refering to?

PS: The only way Lando may work is, that he left Paasana regularily and only used it as a base of operations hoping for leads. But regulary he had to leave to meet Tendra and do all the Legends stuff he was involved in.

Unless that was a Lando HRD he bought to do just that while he kept moping on Paasana and looking for leads. I mean hey he could have done that given Droid Rights and his love for them. Wouldn't surprise me if it was him that gave Bakura the idea in the first place by ordering a HRD of himself made and they went massproduction afterwards.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
  16. CosmoHender

Dec 2, 2016
    Honestly, Lando leaving Paasana regularly can work. Bloodlines supports this by showing he was still in touch with Leia and that he kept up with galactic news.

QuinlanSolo likes this.
  17. Golbolco

Jan 20, 2016
    I can buy that maybe his hermit status is played up and Pasaana just became a regular base or hideout for Lando until the First Order came onto the scene and he truly went into hiding.

CosmoHender likes this.
  18. CosmoHender

Dec 2, 2016
    Also, according to the Rise of Skywalker visual dictionary, Kadara Calrissian was born twenty-one years before the Starkiller Incident. Since the events of TFA occurs at 41 ABY in the One Canon, Kadara would have been born in 20 ABY. Lando married Tendra shortly after the signing of the Bastion Accords, which was in 19 ABY. At first I thought Kadara would have been from a previous relationship that Lando had, but honestly the timeline works out well enough that she could have been Lando and Tendra's first child, born shortly after they married.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  19. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    *strokes chin*

So definitely pre-NJO.

*raises hand*

What if her date of birth was treated as ‘after’ the Battle of Endor rather than before TFA?

20. CosmoHender

Dec 2, 2016
    Then she would have been born in between the signing of the Galactic Concordance and the unifying of the Imperial warlords, making her close to the same age as Ben.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  21. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    *strokes chin*

When Lando was running around with Mara hunting down Car’das? That’s complicated.

Her being born circa 20 ABY is a simpler one of it. Of course it depends when she was kidnapped, as we’ve had to be necessity slightly shuffle Shadows of the Sith forward.

I’m more inclined to wonder if Lando had her just before he married Tendra. Maybe? Maybe maybe. As we moved SotS forward, we could move her birth forwards. Lando doesn’t seem to once lament the wife of his child, just his child, in SotS… so there is a lot of mileage.

22. CosmoHender

Dec 2, 2016
    According to the Visual Dictionary, Kadara was kidnapped nineteen years before the Starkiller Incident, so she would have been two years old and in the One Canon her kidnapping would have happened in 22 ABY.

23. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    I am wondering, the lore about Kadara's kidnapping said she was kidnapped along with other children of former Rebel leaders.

Which ones may that be as we know most Rebel leaders and their children? And we do not know any "kidnapping" related behavior, search, grief, etc. from other known Rebel Leader characters. Or most Rebel Leader's kids were already way older than Kadara there.

Or can one actually combine this with one of the many Solokids kidnappings, except for those always got rescued or escaped? The entire Hethir, Shadow Academy, Second Imperium to First Order lineage we discussed in another post already and plenty of kidnapping happened there, but only for Forcesensitive kids etc. adding an angle for non-Forcesensitive ones maybe?

PS: Aftab Ackbar was born 16ABY as per canon... does that work for OneCanon? Well... I mean... that is during the Black Fleet Crisis. We do not know his mother yet. And we know Ackbar never spent time with him, they only met once where Aftab begged him to stop doing Resistance work and Ackbar refused being too busy his mind elsewhere.

Poor Aftab... absent father like Ackbar... who spent more time playing with Anakin Solo than him!

24. CosmoHender

Dec 2, 2016
    Aftab Ackbar was nineteen years old during the events of Rise, so that means he would have been born in 23 ABY, between the end of the Galactic Civil War and the beginning of the Yuuzhan Vong Invasion.

EDIT: This got me thinking about the ages of the other characters.

Beaumont Kin - According to the Visual Dictionaries, he was 40 during the events of Rise. This would mean he was born in 2 ABY.

Finn - Was 23 during the events of The Force Awakens, so he was probably born in 18 ABY.

Jannah - The Visual Dictionaries said that she was only in her early twenties during the events of Rise, probably to leave it open for her to be Lando's daughter. So she would have been born between 19 and 22 ABY.

Kaydel Ko Connix - According to the Visual Dictionaries, she was 21 during the events of Rise. This would mean she was born in 21 ABY.

Poe Dameron - Still born in 2 ABY, since he was referenced in the Marvel comics. This would mean that Poe was 39 during the events of The Force Awakens instead of 32.

Rey - Was nineteen during the events of The Force Awakens, so she probably was born in 22 ABY.

Rose Tico - According to the Visual Dictionaries, she was 24 during the events of Rise. This would mean she was born in 18 ABY.

Snap Wexley - According to the Visual Dictionaries, he was born 45 years before the Starkiller Base. This would mean he was born in 4 BBY, except that doesn't entirely work. Snap's mother left Akiva to become a pilot for the Rebel Alliance when he was twelve and we know that Norra flew during the Battle of Endor. Maybe he could still be born in 11 BBY, which would make him 22 during the Battle of Jakku and 52 during The Force Awakens. A compromise could be that Norra left Akiva around the events of The Empire Strikes Back in 3 ABY, which means Snap would have been born in 9 BBY and would have been 20 during the Battle of Jakku and 50 during The Force Awakens.

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  25. Golbolco

Jan 20, 2016
    For my own input, I have tried to stretch the timeline enough so that Bloodline synchronizes with Luke's exile in Fate of the Jedi, by sliding the post-NJO Legends continuity backwards by roughly four years and the post-Mandalorian Canon continuity forward by four years to avoid Canon works taking place during the Vong War (on top of seven years to synchronize Empire's End and Aftermath). The Force Awakens takes place in 45ABY. I don't usually worry about the canonical ages of characters being preserved as I prefer the idea that lifespans have been radically increased anyway; I worry more about birthdates, lengths of pregnancies, deaths or close calls, and other life-altering events worth noting in a chronology.

Ben Solo is born in early 12ABY (his conception is not depicted in The Princess and the Scoundrel, it takes place much too early even in a purely Canon timeline), being the youngest of the Solo children. He is 33 in The Force Awakens, which is conveniently Han's age during A New Hope for the Canon timeline.

Adding seven years to his date of birth, Finn is born in 18ABY. He is 27 in The Force Awakens, actually a bit older than John Boyega would have been during filming.

Rey is born in 22ABY and is 23 in The Force Awakens, placing her at roughly the same age as Daisy Ridley when the movie came out.

Poe Dameron is trickier as he is born before the seven-year shift for Canon works and has been depicted as an infant in that era. He is born in 2ABY, making him 43 in The Force Awakens. That's a twenty-year age difference with Rey, maybe he fell into a carbonite freezing chamber in the interim? (More on that later!) Oscar Isaac was only 35 when the movie was being filmed. Snap Wexley has a similar problem to Poe in that he is born before the Canon shift, but he has not been depicted as a child prior to Aftermath. Therefore, in accordance to Aftermath's shift, Snap's birthdate can be moved up seven years to 4BBY, preserving his age of 15 in 11ABY and making him 49 in The Force Awakens. Greg Grunberg was 49 when the film released, so that's perfect.

On Mon Mothma and Ackbar: I had an idea a little bit ago that because of the state of medical technology in the Galaxy, some elites may choose to preserve their bodies towards the end of their natural lives and be unfrozen when advancements have been made to save their lives. Mon Mothma might have chosen to "die" at a certain age due to complications from the assassination attempt by Furgan, but was later unfrozen on the condition that a cure had been found for her illnesses. Ackbar I think is more likely to have faked his death properly: he's a military man, and going into deep cover to run the Insiders during and following the Vong War is more realistic for him to have done than for Mon Mothma to have faked her death merely to spy on Pellaeon.

QuinlanSolo and ColeFardreamer like this.