main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The One Canon

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sinrebirth , Aug 18, 2015.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    gak, it was spoilered and I clicked anyway, ah well, knew it would happen.

dunno if this has been covered in this thread but with one canon, how many times did Han make the Kessel run? (I always say, hey, they're fictional characters, they lead exceptionally busy lives!)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    At least twice - Lando references that they did it together before in DFC. I am sure that the Solo books themselves reference a couple.

I am generally becoming more inclined to treat the main events of Solo as a sting. It’s post-Lando Trilogy, and seemingly post-L3 replacing Vuffi Raa. I do enjoy the angle that Lando and Han were looking to swindle Crimson Dawn and the appearance of Qi’ra nearly ruined the entire scheme against Beckett and his team, let alone the appearance of Efnys Nest.

I did also dabbled with the idea that Aftermath onwards is post-Empire’s End. After Palpatine dies finally, the Galactic Empire did finally collapse within a year, after all. The Battle of Jakku occurs in 12 ABY, with JAT shifted to the end of the year.

Make Ben the youngest Solo child and he may even spend some of the Vong War in the Maw getting messed with by Abeloth.

Twenty-four years after the final death of Palpatine is Bloodline, and thats 34 ABY, instead of 28 ABY, midway through the Vong War.

Thirty years after the final death of Palpatine is 41 ABY, just after Jacen dies, but Abeloth is not yet freed by Ship and the timeline diverges. However, with the original placement of LotF embraced, being 37 ABY, its even possible to have everything up to Crucible take place by 41 ABY.

It’s a nice aside, shuffling the Canon post-Endor from 4 ABY to 11 ABY, Seven years later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Little bit of a bump, but there is an amusing reference to the possibility of divergent universes on Supernatural Encounters, if you want that.

Otherwise it’s just ticking along, and presumably Monin is not a Rule of Two Sith.

Generally the net issue of the merger of the two continuities comes down to one question; when did Ben destroy the New Jedi Order. On a lesser note; when did the First Order go public?

Canon has done a fine job of hinting that the public FO merely covers the eight Remnant sectors, and being as post-TUF we don’t know who leads the Remnant until Revelation at the start of 41 ABY (or 38 ABY), it’s not a massive issue.

But as to Luke’s order being massacred and him leaving, I’m inclined to date it to 33 ABY; it cannot be too long otherwise the Senate would have wised up to the First Order, and I expect it would coincide with the emergence of the same in Known Space. I would give Leia from 28 to 33 ABY smashing criminal connections and networks until she closes in on the First Order in the Unknown Regions, and the Centrists simply secede to draw her eye; the Supremacy was hiding after all, and Starkiller was not finished until 34 ABY.

If it is in 33 ABY that the ST starts in earnest, I’ll be happy, because that gives me some more space...

... especially if I slightly embrace the idea that the Battle of Jakku was a year after Palpatine’s final death. Make Legends primary over Canon.

PCCViking and DarthJaceus like this.
  4. QuiWanKenJin

QuiWanKenJin Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2005
    Hey Sinre, I have a dilemma I was hoping you or someone else could answer. I know that in your canon Jacen Solo and Ben Solo are not the same person, however I couldn't come up with a reason that he would have had a separate upbringing from his three siblings that made any sense. So, in my canon they are one person and his full name is Jacen Ben Solo. But after re-watching the Last Jedi, I noticed that Luke saw glimpses of darkness during Ben's training. If I remember correctly didn't Luke start training Jacen in Junior Jedi Knights and throughout Young Jedi Knights? Its been awhile for me, and I don't own them. But doesn't anyone remember if Luke saw darkness in Jacen's training, or maybe it could be construed that he did? Anyone remember those books, well?

5. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Not an ounce of darkness was seen in Jacen. He came across more philosophical in the NJO, but in LotF Luke’s view was that Jacen fell because he was selfless...

6. QuiWanKenJin

Oct 14, 2005

Hmm, if I'm not mistaken I don't recall Jacen ever being knighted in Young Jedi Knights, maybe Luke was referring to when they were training on Ossus, after the events of YJK and he started seeing the darkness then? The planet in the flashbacks, with the training temple I set as Ossus. The NJO moved to Ossus after Yavin IV because of the attacks, (Daala, Reborn in JO, Shadow Academy etc). If not, I guess I could just ignore the sequel trilogy, terrible storytelling anyway.

7. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Not really in the spirit of the thing, eh?

8. QuiWanKenJin

Oct 14, 2005

Be honest, neither are you.

9. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Of the One Canon? I'm increasingly impressed by Sinre's ability to merge the two continuities together in inventive ways. I don't really see it being about the quality of either timeline.

10. QuiWanKenJin

Oct 14, 2005

No, not the one canon. The sequel trilogy.

11. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Well, that would be getting a bit off-topic, I think, so feel free to PM if you want to discuss the sequels. But I'm absolutely in the spirit where they're concerned; I just rewatched TFA today and thoroughly enjoyed it despite having a few issues with it.

12. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I like the One Canon because it comes from a place of fun and what if ideas. Which are always fun to play around with from time to time.

spicer and Sinrebirth like this.
  13. QuiWanKenJin

Oct 14, 2005
    Let me ask you this, though. If in your canon, Ben Solo is not Jacen how would you explain him not knowing about his three siblings and them not knowing about him? :confused:

14. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    The One Canon is meant to merge Legends and Canon. What's the point if large chunks of Canon are discarded?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    DarthJaceus and Sinrebirth like this.
  15. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Raised separately, surely? We already know Kylo's got issues over Han being an absent father, and in Bloodline he's off training in some remote part of the galaxy.

16. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    Jacen Syndulla and Anakin/ jaina aren't solos by blood but still same characters just without the solo blood if u are in the spirt of mucking around with things

17. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Well; who is to say he is not known.

Jagged only references his four siblings a handful of times in the entirety of his two dozen appearances in the novels. Maybe as little as twice?

Jacen does not even mention Tenel Ka or Allana in the entirety of Betrayal.

In very short, the siblings being kept together was basically dangerous. It did not happen for their safety. Kidnapping attempts, droid murderers, Imperial resurgence.

Ben’s angst could be interpreted as his jealousy of Jacen and Jaina, or his anger that he did not save Anakin, or the unhappiness that he has with his absent father, who he was closest to as a child while Leia focused on the government, or just him having been messed with while kept in the Maw. Perhaps he was always a troubled child and Luke gave him more one-on-one guidance as a rule, away from the Academy, until he later on.

The spirit of things here is that there is one way of doing this; your way. But not at the expense of others. It’s all headcanons.

Presently I’m embracing the Aftermath trilogy being after Palpatine’s final death, and LotF being pulled to its 37 ABY location, as such TFA takes place 30 years after 11 ABY.

I just like it narratively as the Empire collapsed with tremendous speed after Byss was destroyed, and I absently like the narrative that characters like Rae, Sinjir, Norra, and so forth have been stuck for seven years in the same circumstances. Crimson Empire then Aftermath, then Crimson Empire II then Life Debt, then Empire’s End and then JAT.

Placing LotF before TFA also has the weight of Luke losing Mara and Jacen and Ben to death and/or the dark side, and of course the NJO’s latest class of students corrupted or killed, and makes his choice to withdraw from the Order and the Order subsequently withdrawing into hiding all the more important. It even adds to Luke’s decision to kill Ben, even briefly - he has just lost his wife to a fallen nephew.

The fall of a second child also drives a big wedge of distance between Han and Leia, which works narratively. There’s more hints behind the narrative of the Dark Nest Crisis as well, with the Empire of the Hand.

Thats’s ignoring the basic benefit of cutting down the ‘absent’ Skywalker-Solo family to Jaina and Jagged and Tenel Ka and Allana. If I can fiddle it so FotJ takes place before TFA; I would do too, because then the Tribe, Daala and Abeloth are dealt with.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    DarthJaceus likes this.
  18. HedecGa

HedecGa Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2006
    Sinrebirth, you are my hero. Now if you'd just write all of this into a novel....

19. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    *looks up from the scenes he’s writing*

What? Oh? Oops.

20. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I do wonder how Bria and qi'ra relate-as they are basically mirror opposites.

As for a multiverse-my personal wish is that a Canon novel or comic will have a character receive a vision/look through a portal/have a dream/etc... Where they glimpse from a distance the legends canon.

This would involve no active crossovers but would confirm legends as a timeline in the Star Wars multiverse.

HedecGa likes this.
  21. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    There absolutely was darkness seen in Jacen, particularly by Jacen himself in Balance Point.

22. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I firmly disagree-Jacen is literally shining as a being of light. If there was a ever scene that showed Jacen's moral alignment more clearly or persuasively it was that scene in The Unifying force.

23. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    I'm referring to any sense of general foreboding about Jacen, which I thought is what we were talking about.

24. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I thought we were talking about his inner morality or virtue.

25. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    I thought we were talking about darkness being associated with Jacen? Several times over the first few books of NJO there's a lot of uncertainty over what he's going to become, whether as a Jedi or something else.