main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The One Canon

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sinrebirth , Aug 18, 2015.

1. QuinlanSolo

QuinlanSolo Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 17, 2019
    Come May 25th, I may have to eat these words, but unlike SOLO (which has many OneCanon solutions), so far KENOBI looks to be remarkably and straightforwardly OneCanon compatible, slotting right in nicely:

19 BBY
    - ROTS
    - Lone Wolf
    - Kenobi (novel by JJM)
    - Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader (epilogue)

19-18 BBY
    - "The Last One Standing"
    - The Last of the Jedi (young reader series by Jude Watson, 10 books)

17 BBY
    - Legacy 16 (flashback)

10 BBY
    - NEW Marvel SW (2015) #7, 15, 20

9 BBY
    - OBI-WAN KENOBI (upcoming miniseries)

6 BBY
    - Luke Skywalker's Walkabout
    - Adventure in Beggar's Canyon

- Tales #15: "
    Falling Star"

0 BBY
    - FACPOV: "Master and Apprentice"

(Not sure on the chapter breakdown of Life and Legend of Obi-Wan Kenobi, but I'm under the impression it tracks along with most of the above.)

If anything, it may help give us smoother retcons for Vader's lines "You should not have come back" (ANH) and "Obi-Wan once thought as you do" (ROTJ).

Last edited: Mar 10, 2022
  2. CosmoHender

CosmoHender Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2016
    I was hoping someone would make this!

QuinlanSolo likes this.
  3. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    This is good stuff.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  4. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Am I seeing things or...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Did Haazen wear a Thought Dowser of the Ascendant Cult?

Well KOTOR comics had it be the Helm of ancient Sith Dathka Graush... but maybe Dathka integrated a Thought Dowser into his helmet?

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Thought_dowser
    https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/The_Ascendant
    https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Helm_of_Dathka_Graush

IF my theory holds, that would date the Ascendant cult to the 100 Year Darkness or earlier as it must have been active before Graush.

5. CosmoHender

CosmoHender Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2016
    Hey, how do the Inquisitors work exactly in the One Canon?

6. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013

There are three Inquisitor branches in the Empire. One working from the Jedi Temple turned Imperial Palace, the second got a Deep Core Fortress and the third are canons Inquisitors operating out of the Mustafar system and their own submerged fortress there.

Vader's Inquisitors in the Mustafar system are dark armored and quite visible. Those from the Deep Core operate often undercover. The Coruscant branch is mostly for training and decieving or corrupting Jedi like they tried with Ferus Onlin briefly.

Initially in the early Empire, the Mustafar base was not yet built and both canons Inquisitors and the Legends Coruscant branch shared a HQ in the Imperial Palace / Jedi Temple. With Vader building his Mustafar castle, a group of numbered Inquisitors went to the Rim there with him. Others stayed closer to the Emperor on Coruscant, but with the Emperors Hands, Reachs and Mouth etc. taking over there, the Inquisitors relocated to their own Deep Core base soon enough.

7. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    At very least the numbered Inquisitors are Palpatine’s elite. Him having two Grands and two groups is very Rule of Two.

8. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2016
    Can the two groups that operated out of the Imperial Palace be combined into one group? Maybe the unnumbered Inquisitors were not elite/prestigious enough, and after the death of the Grand Inquisitor the number system started to fall away anyway?

ColeFardreamer and QuinlanSolo like this.
  9. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    Hi everyone! I'm positive this has been discussed before but I scrolled through 10 pages and didn't see an answer.

While I didn't like the new Marvel SW comics I still have 1-6, Skywalker Strikes, and was wondering how this fits with Vader's Quest. I can see it being after and Vader doesn't recognize Luke in issue 2 but wanted to ask the experts' opinion.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2022
  10. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Nice catch and interesting idea.

I suppose it is possible that the Helm was modified later to add a thought dowser, but on the other hand it is not like the Ascendent are clearly dated either.

Come to think of it, Aphra is adding a lot of ancient civilizations and cults that aren't clearly dated and could be just about anywhere in the Old Republic era.

Golbolco likes this.
  11. QuinlanSolo

Jun 17, 2019
    Short Version:
    - Skywalker Strikes (NEW Marvel Star Wars #1-6, except the last three pages when Fett reports to Vader) - Vader encounters Kenobi's disciple on Cymoon 1, sends Fett to find him
    - Vader's Quest #1 (just the Vader scenes; rebel scenes intercut with them are not necessarily happening simultaneously) - Vader learns that "Luke Skywalker" is the name of the rebel pilot who blew up the Death Star
    - Skywalker Strikes (last three pages) - Fett confirms Vader's suspicions that Kenobi's disciple is the same person as the rebel pilot who blew up the Death Star, "Skywalker"
    - Vader's Quest #2-4 - Vader encounters Luke on Jazbina

For an exhaustive overview of the months after ANH in the old EU by a master, @TalonCard , start here: https://boards.theforce.net/threads...een-anh-and-esb.50052490/page-4#post-56707757 . I have cribbed from this timeline considerably and differ from it rarely and with trepidation. Trying to stuff it with the NuCanon material probably stretches it beyond the breaking point, but just squint/hand-wave/foggy window/use the Force. Maybe more things can be pushed back into 4mo. ABY. Not sure (yet).

This was tricky even in the EU, with competing stories about how Vader learned Luke's name from the old Marvel comics and Vader's Quest. Per the New Essential Chronology endnotes - "The opening event in "Dark Lord's Gambit" was also recounted in Vader's Quest #1," I would combine those, but it seems like most don't. (http://geekosity.blogspot.com/2005/10/endnotes-for-star-wars-new-essential.html) Given that assumption, though, here's what a (not-exhaustive!) OneCanon version of Vader's search for Luke could look like:

2mo. ABY

- Scoundrel's Luck (comatose Vader recovered from derelict TIE, afterwards begins his search for the identity of Force-strong pilot who blew up the Death Star)
    - Star Wars: Missions #17-20
    - Scoundrels
    - Old Marvel Star Wars #7-15
    - Chewbacca comic miniseries
    - Old Marvel Star Wars #24, 16-17
    - SW Adventures Annual #1 (Jaxxon/Wheel story)
    - Old Marvel Star Wars #18-27 (Darth Vader psychologically/spiritually attacks the still-unknown to him Death Star pilot through the Force, while Luke Skywalker & Co. are at the Wheel Space Station; Luke and Leia return to Yavin, under siege, while Han and Chewy split to settle things with Jabba)
    - “Trouble at Tibrin” (SWA)
    - Heir to the Jedi
    - Weapon of a Jedi

- Old Marvel Star Wars #28 (Han and Chewy get Mosep Bineed to square them with Jabba, for now)
    - Old Marvel Star Wars #29: Dark Encounter (Valance prevents Vader from discovering the identity of the DS pilot, for the time being)
    - Old Marvel Star Wars #30-34
    - Early Adventures #6: The Second Kessel Run (Han working off and on for Jabba again)
    - Han Solo comic miniseries
    - “Swoop Race” (SWA)
    - Choose Your Own Adventure (Luke, Leia)
    - “Flight of the Falcon” #2 (SWA)

- Old Marvel Star Wars #37 (Epilogue - Jabba restores bounty on Han)
    - NEW Marvel Star Wars #1-3 (Vader encounters “Kenobi’s disciple” on Cymoon 1, initially finds him weak, but sees that he has Anakin's old lightsaber)
    - Classic Star Wars: Darth Vader Strikes (Vader lays a trap for a Rebel spy, ultimately almost snaring Kenobi's disciple, on Fondor, with the help of Admiral Griff), Serpent Masters, Deadly Reunion, Traitor's Gambit, Night Beast
    - Darth Vader #1-6/NEW Marvel Star Wars #4-6, except for the last pages when Fett reports to Vader (Vader hires Boba Fett to track down Kenobi's disciple, defeats his cyborg rivals as Palpatine's apprentice. On Tatooine, Luke while blinded duels Fett, escapes.)
    - Old Marvel Star Wars #35: Dark Lord's Gambit, panel 1 ([On Centares], Vader learns that the name of the DS pilot is "Luke Skywalker" by torturing a captured rebel)
    - Vader's Quest #1, pp. 1-3, 9-12 (Vader had hired different bounty hunters to help track down leads to the DS pilot; the captured rebel is killed on p. 12)
    - Old Marvel Star Wars #35: Dark Lord's Gambit, panel 2 (Vader stands over the captured rebel's corpse)
    - Old Marvel Star Wars #35: Dark Lord's Gambit, panel 3 (Vader notes the DS pilot's name is no longer a secret)
    - Vader's Quest #1, pp. 16-22 (Vader burns down everything and tries to kill everyone - his troops and bounty hunters - in order to contain the secret of Luke Skywalker's name. He then takes a shuttle to an interdictor cruiser in orbit, [on which he must have left his prototype TIE].)
    - Old Marvel Star Wars #35: Dark Lord's Gambit, panel 4 (Vader flies in his TIE [from the interdictor] to his own star destroyer, where he plots to catch Luke and take revenge on the Tagges for the next few pages.)
    - Last pages of NEW Marvel Star Wars #6 and Darth Vader #6 [After Vader learned name of DS pilot on Centares, presumably later that day Fett reports in and unwittingly confirms that Kenobi’s disciple is the same person – “Skywalker”]
    - The Rise and Fall of Darth Vader, pp. 163-166 (Vader has inquiries and records searches made on Tatooine to find information about Luke Skywalker, almost doubting that Luke is in fact his son)
    - NEW Marvel Star Wars Annual 4 and #7 - 12/Darth Vader #7 (first 6 pages – on Tatooine, Vader visits Kenobi's home and the Lars homestead, becoming certain Luke is his son. Per the audio drama, at some later point Aphra figures this out too.)
    - Classic Star Wars: The Return of Ben Kenobi (Vader tries to trap Luke by hiring an actor to impersonate his vanished former master), Power Gem, Ice World, Revenge of the Jedi
    - Rebel Force #4-5
    - Star Wars 3D #1 (first evacuation of Yavin rebel base truly begins)
    - SW Adventures "The Flat Mountain of Yavin"
    - Star Wars 3D #2
    - Allegiance
    - The Faithful Wookiee
    - The Holiday Special
    - Star Wood #1-6

3mo. ABY

- Star Wood #7-18
    - Vader's Quest #2-4 (Vader and Luke's next encounter, Luke again blinded)
    - Star Wood #19-20

4mo. ABY

- Rebel Force #6

5mo. ABY

- SW Adventures Annual #1 (Leia sprains her ankle story)
    - Tilotny Throws a Shape (Leia re-sprains her ankle)
    - Old Marvel Star Wars #35-37 (Vader fails to catch Luke but succeeds in beginning to take revenge on the Tagge family [assume Orman Tagge survives his injuries to appear in Doctor Aphra (2020) #5 approximately 3 years later].)
    - Darth Vader Annual #1
    - Darth Vader #7-12
    - Vader Down (Luke and Vader dogfight above Vrogas Vos)
    - Darth Vader #16-19 (Shu-Torun War)
    - NEW Marvel Star Wars Annual 1, #16-20 (Rebel Jail)

6mo. ABY

- Darth Vader #20-25 (End of Games – ends two weeks before Executor ready)
    - Classic Star Wars: Doom Mission, Race for Survival (Final Yavin rebel base evacuation)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
  12. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    Thanks @QuinlanSolo! I appreciate your effort copying that list. I have my own list scribbled down as I think everyone else here does, and it's so frustrating that seemingly 90% of content between ANH and ESB wants to be within that first year.

Surprised Heir to the Jedi is placed sooner on that big list I assumed it was after the evacuation of Yavin. However I ignore Star Wood lol

13. QuinlanSolo

Jun 17, 2019
    Thanks! It is indeed annoying how many soft-reboots ANH-TESB has undergone, but if it were easy, where'd be the fun in that?

Heir to the Jedi is odd in that is was originally written as a Legends novel, in the "Empire and Rebellion" series on the Big Three, along with Razor's Edge (Leia) and Honor Among Thieves (Han). It does seem to occur after the Yavin evacuation, though not explicitly so. Given Han's stated absence from the book, it was likely intended to occur in parallel with or just after Scoundrels and after the 2mo. ABY Yavin evac from Star Wood's soft reboot.

As it was ultimately published as a NuCanon novel, the fact that Ben Kenobi's Force-ghost hasn't talked to Luke since the Battle of Yavin places it before Skywalker Strikes (in which Ben speaks up, again telling Luke to run). And like dominoes, since Vader knows Luke is his son in the final Yavin evac (Classic SW), so stories before he finds out (95% of Skywalker Strikes) must in turn come before then. I basically tried to take the NuCanon post-ANH timeline and, with as little rearranging as possible, slide all the pieces of it into TalonCard's timeline. Since Han is absent in Heir to the Jedi because he's trying to settle with Jabba, slotting it into his absence in old Marvel for the same reason (between the Wheel and Whatever Happened to Jabba the Hut?) made the most sense to me. Granted, TalonCard places it later, and on purely EU-grounds that makes sense. When trying to OneCanon it, however, I think it has to go earlier.

In this approach, Heir to the Jedi is still after an evacuation, sort of - the evacuation Dodonna and Akbar are organizing in the Princess Leia comic miniseries... but which somehow still shows the rebels on Yavin (weeks?) later when Leia returns. Maybe that was the heavy equipment evac mentioned in the first edition of the Essential Chronology. Per TalonCard, Dodonna seems to become attached to Yavin 4 (Rebel Force #6), urging Mon Mothma to keep it running (TEGTW), reoccupying the base after a brief stint on airless Yavin 3 (World of Fire) with a skeleton crew (Force Commander). Akbar seems less sentimental and more attached to his fleet, while the Big Three seem to alternate between assignments to the fleet and Yavin 4 in OneCanon.

The fly in the ointment for my approach, though, is that Luke has already met Akbar before Revenge of the Jedi. Not neat and tidy, but not impossible or a full-on contradiction either.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2022
    Darth_Foo likes this.
  14. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Headcanon to be tested...

... Star Wars: Shadows of the Sith...

If Luke get's a whiff of Palpatine/Exegol, he dismisses it thereafter when he concludes it was just Fake/NotFake Palpatine from YJK/

15. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Is An Apology, FOTJ: Epilogue part of OneCanon?

16. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    No, because it's frankly offensive to people who enjoyed Legends.

17. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    So with SotS confirmed for 21 ABY...

looks at the Battle of Jakku being at very start of 11 ABY for One Canon purposes...

5 ABY to 11 ABY is 6 years...

... that places it in 27 ABY.

chuckles drily

So Luke and Lando have a nice wander mid-Vong War?

[face_laugh]

nudges to pre-/post-Vong War for now mentally

18. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    More like post war during the Jacen sojourn and all Solokids busy offscreen handily anyway, eh?

Though in 27ABY NJO tales were more personal and individual and had space for Luke to help Lando indeed. But it would be odd.

Gesendet von meinem FP3 mit Tapatalk

Irredeemable Fanboy likes this.
  19. Golbolco

Jan 20, 2016
    I’ve gotten into the habit of moving any date that would fall into Vong War timeline forward by 5 years.

20. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    If it's post war it's potentially an odd thing for Luke to be speculating on the peace (inevitably), and then the Vong War ended a few days ago. So moving it before into that six year sweet spot where there was no war 'legally' (again) seems better. @ColeFardreamer

@Golbolco, why 5 years, out of curiosity?

Shadows of the Sith pre-NJO, Bloodline post-NJO (by a decent margin).

All works.

Golbolco likes this.
  21. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Moving it before Vong though risks Reys age when parents left her which probably is in this book. And her age is movie canon and relevant. Or you have to move her birthyear too and that is other potential trouble.

Gesendet von meinem FP3 mit Tapatalk

22. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I mean Ben Skywalker and Allana's ages have been fairly fudged.

23. Golbolco

Jan 20, 2016
    When I work out my math, traditionally I've followed the method of adding 7 years to Canon events, to synchronize that continuity's post-Endor events with the aftermath of Empire's End (shifting Canon!4ABY to fit with Legends!11ABY, if that makes sense). That would move the events of TFA from the year 34ABY to 41ABY. The problem is that the Legends timeline terminates at 45ABY.

So the next step is to shrink the Legends timeline--this isn't too hard, since the text often contradicts the official dates. Going strictly by text, DNT's first book moves to 34ABY, LOTF moves to 36-37ABY, FOTJ moves to 39-40ABY, and Crucible in 41ABY. Also, I acknowledge this mangles some character ages, but for now let's move on.

Extrapolating, Crucible still occurs in the same year as TFA. This is problematic, because of TFA's status quo. Also keep in mind that with all of the earlier adjustments, Bloodline would have to take place in 35ABY.

Because NJO is an event with such wide implications and lasts roughly 4 or 5 years, I've added a new rule: if any adjusted Canon story takes place between 25-29ABY, it gets bumped forward 4 or 5 years. Therefore, the Sequel Trilogy's chronology is adjusted from an additional 7 years to an additional 11 years. Bloodline/Rise of Kylo Ren synchronizes with Fate of the Jedi since both feature Luke's exile (kind of/indirectly), TFA and TLJ take place in 45ABY, and TROS in 46ABY.

I admit that I need to reread Crucible. I don't recall its ending fitting with the idea that Luke departs known space. Maybe the Ben Solo affair only became known a year after it had happened.

Sinrebirth and ColeFardreamer like this.
  24. Chrissonofpear2

Chrissonofpear2 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 25, 2020
    So, was it my Dark Empire timespan breakdown, that got Jakku moved from 12 to 11 ABY? ;)

25. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I just liked having more time.

[face_laugh]

It has to be pre-JAT anyway. :D