main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The One Canon

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sinrebirth , Aug 18, 2015.

1. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Thrawn turns up to lead them to Exegol, essentially. Rather than wayfinder/dagger shenanigans. It’s a bit out of the left field but it does work with the context given.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
    Vialco likes this.
  2. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Hmm, I guess I'd have to see how that plays out in practice. I do want to watch those videos just from the MC75s with the slick paint jobs in the thumbnails,
    and I've long felt like Thrawn Vs. the First Order was a potential setup from Thrawn the novel's changes to his backstory and the nature of the First Order as contrasted to Pellaeon's Remnant.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Heartily recommended.

I started with the New Republic one, myself.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
  4. CosmoHender

CosmoHender Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2016
    Question: How is Screed's death handled in the One Canon? Since in Legends he was executed by Zsinj while in Canon he was killed by pirates.

5. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Have you seen his cybernetics? That guy is a survivor! Valance died more oftem and got back with new cybernetics.

6. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Zsinj pirates.

Zann Consortium, no?

MercenaryAce likes this.
  7. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2016
    His death is never on-screen or on-page in either continuity; the pirate faction also hasn't been identified, and could easily be explained to be working for Zsinj or the remnants of his warlord faction.

He dies prior to Zsinj's demise in 8ABY at the latest, and certainly no sooner than 11-12ABY around the collapse of Operation Shadow Hand.

8. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    Valance is basically a android from alien

Dream-Thinker and ColeFardreamer like this.
  9. Fen_Bandit

Fen_Bandit Jedi Padawan

Nov 18, 2019
    Hey, a little off topic, but I love the one-canon spreadsheet that you have been working on and am wondering if it has been updated at all since you last posted it.

Golbolco and Sinrebirth like this.
  10. Golbolco

Jan 20, 2016
    I'm glad you like it! I haven't made any big headway like finishing the sequel era or the ESB era, but I keep on top of things and update the timeline appropriately whenever a series or comic finishes. I still need to go back through the Dark Empire-to-JAT-to-Aftermath era, and at some point I need to tackle my messy 3BBY era where I've been workshopping the miscellaneous Han Solo adventures alongside a TFU-Rebels mashup. When I do get around to posting a public update, it will hopefully include LOTF, FOTJ, and the sequel trilogy.

11. Darth Winzer

Darth Winzer Jedi Youngling

Jul 9, 2022
    I didn't really love the U-Wing when Rogue One first came out. But I came around to it after I spent a while pointing out all the various parts that looked Incom. The tech may stay mostly at the same level, but the configuration keeps getting sharper. In my opinion just as important as genuine tech advancement.

MercenaryAce and Sinrebirth like this.
  12. HMTE

HMTE Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 7, 2021
    First time posting to the One Canon thread. Sorry if I'm derailing a pre-existing conversation, but I was looking through the information on Phase II of the High Republic, and I noticed that they are introducing the idea into Canon of there being two Supreme Chancellors serving at the same time. I'm wondering, in the case of the One Canon, if the joint Chancellorship of Kyong Greylark and Mollo during the High Republic era was the inspiration for Plagueis's scheme to get Palpatine to appoint him as Co-Chancellor.

As I recall Palpatine thought the idea was absurd, but maybe from a One Canon perspective this is a precedent Plagueis was hoping to exploit.

13. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I like that, @HMTE

We could even use that to smooth over conflicting references between Canon and Legends as to Chancellors...

... and then we have the GA Co-Chief of States too, for extra precedence.

Good find!

14. Golbolco

Jan 20, 2016
    For a while now, I've been reading and rereading the cited Legends works in tandem with this excellent post to try and get a feel for what the One Canon timeline for this era might look like. Below is what I've workshopped, based on your notes:

Using the twelve-month variant of the GrS calendar provided by the Essential Atlas, I have begun to calculate dates for a rough timeline of the Empire's End-Aftermath-JAT period.

Based on the timeline given for Thrawn's campaign, Jacen and Jaina Solo are born between August 1 and August 7 of 9 ABY (44:8 GrS).

Based on Leia's pregnancy, Dark Empire II spans three full months from issue 1 to issue 6, beginning in November of 10ABY and concluding in February of 11ABY. According to Ambush at Corellia, Anakin Solo is eighteen months younger than Jacen and Jaina; taken literally, he is born between February 1 and February 7 of 11ABY (46:2 GrS).

Empire's End begins probably three weeks after Dark Empire II; taking the liberal estimate for Anakin's age, that dates the beginning for Issue 1 at February 28. Issue 2 concludes three days later on March 3.

Now we start applying Sinrebirth's theorem that Canon works should be referenced from the Emperor's (second) death. Operation Cinder is launched on March 20 of 11ABY, seventeen days after the death of Palpatine. The Battle of Naboo is on March 23. Shattered Empire issue 4 and Aftermath pick up around June of this year. Norra Wexley spends a month in a coma, moving us into July.

In theory, Crimson Empire I and II should occur around here. I've always thought that significant time should pass between the first and second series. The first needs to exist in a window when Wedge has command of the Lusankya; with Aftermath rounding out Wedge Antilles's activities in this part of the timeline, I imagine that should fit the story into the month of June, while Norra is in her coma. Essentially, Crimson Empire I slots between Parts 3 and 4 of Aftermath. I'm less certain on where to put the second series right now.

I take a conservative approach to the gap between Empire's End and Jedi Search: Wedge has spent all of his time after the Battle of Onderon doing "reconstruction on Coruscant" (code for his secret missions during Aftermath). He spends four months on that operation; I will go literal with the timeline and say that Jedi Search/I, Jedi opens on July 3, exactly four months after the Emperor's death.

Han Solo, Chewbacca, and Kyp Durron's escape from Kessel occurs three weeks from the start of Jedi Search, dating to July 24. I'll defer to @Chrissonofpear2 's research dating the end of Champions of the Force to 10 weeks, putting us at September 12. Overall, six months pass between EE and JAT, with IJ wrapping up a few months later.

The next solid date I have is Han and Chewbacca's liberation of Kashyyyk (side note: I always lump in this with Galactic Battlegrounds' final campaign) depicted in Aftermath: Life Debt. Again, this is in September. The next part of the book picks up one month later in October.

Victory's Price finally takes us to 12ABY by dating itself to eleven months after Palpatine's death, putting us in January of 12ABY. The Battle of Jakku is exactly 369 days after the Battle of Onderon; if all of my math is correct (doubtful, I've already caught two errors while writing) then the battle occurs on March 7 of 12ABY.

All I can say for after that is that Children of the Jedi must be in August or afterwards of 12ABY, because the Solo twins are described as being three years old. I'm not too sure on the gap between Children of the Jedi and Darksaber, but I figure months have passed for Luke and Callista's relationship to develop.

I'm almost certain that something in here is wrong or could use some more polish, but right now this is the best I've got in slicing everything down to the months and days following the Emperor's death. Feedback is more than welcome!

15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
  16. Golbolco

Jan 20, 2016
    Something I missed: if Anakin is born in February, then he is conceived in May of 10ABY. I don't have Isard's Revenge in front of me, but I would say that the novel and Dark Empire I cannot significantly spill past May of 10ABY without giving Han and Leia some breathing room.

Similarly: the Galactic Concordance is signed in the month following the Battle of Jakku and Ben Solo is born not long after. If Ben is born in March or early April, then he was conceived in the prior June. It seems to work best if Ben is conceived prior to the start of Aftermath, and this may presumably slot in with The Princess and the Scoundrel... though that book could just blow up my timeline.

Crimson Empire II is probably no less than six months after the first series, putting it at the tail end of 11ABY in December. As far as I remember, there aren't many legacy characters in the second series; therefore I don't have to worry about fitting it around Wedge or the Big Three's stories.

17. Kadar Ordo

Kadar Ordo Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 9, 2021
    Alright, so this one might be a bit of a doozy. I considered posting it in the headcanons thread but thought it might also fit here.

So, recently I’ve been rereading SkyeWalkers and Lone Wolf by Abel G. Pena while also reading some of his endnotes on both his blog and in the topic for those stories here on these boards. This was when I learned that both stories hint at and foreshadow Darth Maul’s return in “Old Wounds,” which was non-canon even to Legends at the time but Pena seemed to want to bring back at least some of the elements from that story back into canon. In Lone Wolf, we have two Dark Jedi refer to a cyborg master whose philosophy matches with some of Maul’s lines in “Old Wounds” while in SkyeWalkers Zeta Magnus mentions resuscitating a “corniculate half-bot” (’corniculate’ being another word for ‘having horns’). Pena confirmed on these boards that this half-bot was intended to be Maul, but of course this conflicted with Maul’s return in The Clone Wars, so this “corniculate half-bot” couldn’t be our favorite horned Sith Lord. Right?

But wait… Zeta Magnus is a master geneticist. A cloner, in other words. The Magnus that the Jedi face on Skye is even revealed to be a clone at the end of the story, so we know that he somehow has the compacity to create clones.

Who’s to say that when Magnus helped this “corniculate half-bot,” he didn’t also make a clone of him? And that clone, whose mental state rapidly declined due to memory flashes of his progenitor, was deemed a failure and dumped on the junk world of Lotho Minor, to be rediscovered by his brother Savage Opress and taken to Mother Talzin, who used Nightsister magic to restore his sanity and memories, not knowing that this Maul was a clone. (Hey, it wouldn’t be the first time Sam Witwer voiced a clone who thought he was the genuine article).

Heck, maybe both “Old Wounds” and “Clone Wars” Maul are clones and the real Darth Maul died all those years ago on Naboo, his remains delivered to Zeta Magnus by Darth Sidious to see if it was possible to clone Force-users (something which we know ol’ Sheev would have an invested interest in).

(Also, as for why the clone doesn’t have a lower half either… maybe Zeta Magnus did it to him as a sick joke, or maybe the cloning process deprived him of legs, or maybe Clone Maul lost his legs while on Lotho Minor).

Anyway, this line of thought then led me to this realization: In SkyeWalkers, Zeta Magnus makes it clear that he is only making plagues for Darth Sidious to hold up his end of a deal between them, and that his life’s “nameless purpose” is to kill (or eat) Sidious before he dies. Since SkyeWalkers was one of the last Legends stories released, we never learned whether Magnus ended up turning against Sidious or making a move against him.

But if we stick with the idea that TCW Maul is a clone of Magnus’s creation… then perhaps Magnus did make a move against Sidious but, being a chess master like the Dark Lord himself, did not act against him directly but rather used the clone Maul as a pawn to challenge Sidious and his Empire. Even after both Mauls had died, the pieces Zeta Magnus had put into place remained on the board even well into the Galactic Civil War, in the months leading up to Sidious’s initial death at Endor.

So while Obi-Wan would finish off the clone Darth Maul ten years after killing the original on Tatooine, Zeta Magnus would sit on his Rennek throne in the Dark Worlds… and await the dawn.

A crimson dawn.

18. Golbolco

Jan 20, 2016
    Great writeup! I'll take it a step further:

Zeta Magnus was intended to be Atha Prime, who was also supposed to be Shadowspawn/Cronal according to Pena in this 2007 post.

Cronal has a lot in common with Maul: both born to Dathomiri witches, both experts in all things intelligence (for Maul the spy networks of Crimson Dawn, for Cronal the spy networks of the ISB). Cronal is a master of Sith alchemy, while Maul is recreated using Dathomiri alchemy. But the clincher is here:

Now, Sith apprentices generally don't eat their masters... but wasn't Maul's ultimate purpose, as a product of the Rule of Two, to overthrow and kill Sidious and take his place as Dark Lord of the Sith?

Is it possible that Darth Maul is Cronal is Shadowspawn is Atha Prime is Blackhole is Zeta Magnus? :D

19. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    I rather not have tcw maul be a clone .....

20. Kadar Ordo

Kadar Ordo Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 9, 2021
    He doesn't have to be. The Maul in Old Wounds could just as easily be the clone instead while TCW Maul is the real one. I just wanted to find a way to bring both Maul resurrections into One Canon while using Zeta Magnus to tie them all together :p.

Darth Corydon likes this.
  21. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    It's very hard to not honour all of Maul's iterations without a clone or a successor or some-such.

Golbolco likes this.
  22. Golbolco

Jan 20, 2016
    Maybe Maul is the Sith Lord who truly figured out how to cheat death… by being popular enough for multiple Tales and non-canon stories to resurrect him!

Sinrebirth and ColeFardreamer like this.
  23. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Hey I like that. Maul has turned out to be one of the most interesting characters either in legends or Disney canon and quite frankly getting cut in half and surviving is cheating death in a way.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  24. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Rogue One extended edition featuring intercut scenes of Dark Forces Kyle Katarn as well as the epic Lucrehulc scene from the Death Star novel and some other intermezzos like Despraye being destroyed, Leia and Tantive IV's missions before ANH... now I WANT to see that One Canon beauty of an extended Rogue One with Aftermath Trilogy style intermezzos of all these other paralell events.

What if ANDOR ends up running into Rogue One with "missing scenes"? or hands the shows style over to another like Mando did to Book of Boba Fett and Andor is followed by a brief few episodes of KYLE KATARN/DARK FORCES? pleaaase!

Mindblown...

Well, well, well...

We know Cronal was old to begin with during the PT already and could use bodyhopping more than Palpatine back then already. Researching body replacements and surviving death like his pal Palpatine, I wonder if they also stumbled upon the B'omarr Monk method of brain transfer which could be easier than bodyhopping to get a new fresh meatsuit. I mean, Bib Fortuna did it after all post ROTJ before BoBF got to him.

So I wouldn't put it past Cronal to braintransfer himself via some B'omarr help into a Zabrak body... or a Zabrak into a non-Zabrak body, however you prefer it!

Well, with all the scientists running around, from Jenna Zan Arbor, Borborymus Gog, the Cloners and others... cloning was just one tool of many!
    While we have story how exactly Maul survived TPM barely and went to Lotho Minor, a lot still can happen offscreen to any version of him.

So Cronal is originally human, calling himself Lord Shadow (for Shadowspawn aka Lord Shadow's Pawn was his tool, not him himself!). Lord Shadow fits his Sorcerer of Rhand background as well as his role Codename Blackhole for the Imperial spy networks. During the Clone Wars he may have called himself Atha Prime around his group of Cloners/Clone Masters. But, Prime can mean several things, is he the original, or is he the first/prime clone of the original Cronal? He has many aliases, Zeta Magnus could be another one easily!
    But as Zeta Magnus was/had a clone of himself, what if this clone actually is Atha Prime, the first clone of Cronal? Well does not work if we want to keep Atha Prime for the original Kenner storyline idea post ROTJ. So Atha Prime has to be rather the original, too, or another clone of Cronal.

We know he tried on Mindor to prepare the Empire for a rule by Luke Skywalker, which he hoped to bodyhop into himself and saw either as the only way to become strong enough to take on the Emperor himself, or as he later in Pestages body served the Emperor, he either cowered before Palpatine again, or tried to get close to Luke again with capturing Mara Jade during DE (which Kyle Katarn saved her from). Maybe Cronal was or planned to become other people too?

I wonder how one can best keep the original Kenner storyline idea for Atha Prime post ROTJ and weave it into Lumiya and Cronal's plots in that timeframe before folding into the mysterious survivals of death for Cronal so he could be with Palpatine in Dark Empire. Well despite conflicting intel that Cronal or Pestage did something with Mara Jade during Dark Empire. I prefer Cronal. Pestage/Cronal though may be another weird clone thing which lead to that confusion. But hey Pestage already had a clone of himself during the X-Wing comics.. so precedence! Was one of them Cronal? Did the original Pestage die and Cronal is now Pestage, too, during Dark Empire? Did he take Pestage's body as his own? Taken or given willingly?

If you want to spin his survival talent to the extreme, he who had seen the Empire rise and fall, may have taken the body of a Snoke that the Emperor strandcasted and discarded as a body of his own choice. Leaving him to be slain by Ben Solo and Rey.

Given after his Pestage DE stint he was an Iridonian scientist and later even made Lord Nyax out of Irek Ismaren and tried to mechu deru Luke's electronic Hand into choking him (Tales comics)... that man was busy... well, Tales had him killed by Luke, but never say that is final either. He can always Snoke himself back to life.

By the way here is an image of a young Cronal long before the Prequels, aka The Shadow:
    [​IMG]

PS: I also headcanon that Zeta Magnus is related to Granta Omega and thus Xanatos and Lord Crion! But if he is Cronal... and thus related to Sariss and the Prophets and many others, too... oops. Nice family. Naming-wise they sound related or similiar in style to come from the same corner of the galaxy. Maybe Cronal can be Lord Crion that survived the death that turned Xanatos to the Dark Side (as he might have planned as a Prophet of the Dark Side and Sorcerer of Rhand that was ruling Telos at the time? Also gave him a good exit to find another role to infiltrate in his many lifes).

So... Perek = Crion = Cronal = Atha Prime = Zeta Magnus = Blackhole = Lord Shadow (Shadowspawn) = Pestage = Drell Kahmf = Legacy Era Darth Maul... to be continued!
    Cronal/Crion had a son, Xanatos, and a daughter, Sariss. Granta Omega is his grandson then.

As for Darth Maul, IF Cronal Mauled himself (lol!) then I think it goes like this:

TCW Maul is the original TPM one surviving and slain in Rebels.
    Old Wounds one is now the clone for he has no ties to his criminal organisations and only the rage for Kenobi and seems to be in a hurry as befitting a clone with accellerated aging and limited lifespan of time left. Maybe Palpatine had Old Wounds Maul cloned specifically to hunt Kenobi... or look for escaped Maul who he thought is hunting for Kenobi, too?
    Also confirmed as a clone is the Tales Maul that Vader duelled and killed. Nice to know Vader kept his body in cold storage and used it later for creating Maulkiller.
    Then there is still Maulkiller, from TFU2 which seems to be the first Maul-Starkiller hybrid an thus a strandcast project of Vader. Maybe Cronal was involved?
    Mad Iridonian scientist named Drell Kahmf worked on a clone-Maul post Dark Empire that Luke prevented to be realized. Maybe that mad iridonian was another Cronal in a new body?
    So Cronal either hijacked Maul's TCW body at some point or he only occasionally drove hime via remote control, kinda like the Snoke deal Palpatine used on his Snokes. Then after first Palpatine twice, then Vader brought Maul back as a clone, Cronal tried his luck but got interrupted by Luke Skywalker and ran off.
    Now given Lucasarts post Legacy idea for a Darth Maul game with Darth Talon... another return for Maul... someone must have been successful to bring him back once more. Did Cronal try again? Is this game Legacy era Maul... Cronal in Maul's body? That would mean he survived his potential stint as a Snoke thx to some Snoke to Snoke bodyhopping and escaping Exegol to try Mauling himself again, eh? Neat!

Or we got it all wrong and... not Cronal is Maul... but MAUL is Cronal!

Dathomiri souls roam Dathomir after death in the green mists... some can be resurrected as Zombies even briefly or posess tresspassers as in Rebels. Maul could be back and drive Qi'ra! Or, visiting Dathomir, Cronal got more than he expected and Maul's spirit took his body? When though? After Maul's first death in Rebels?

25. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    @Golbolco, I spent some energy on your timeline of events, because it’s amazing, frankly.

My only continuity note (which saw me go back to I, Jedi) was that I, Jedi starts three years after Corran and Mirax’s honeymoon. That happened after Zsinj was killed, but before the Thrawn Crisis, to the end of 8 ABY. Leia and Han conceive Jacen and Jaina in the November of 8 ABY, so it’s circa then. Which follows as we spent 5 months hunting Zsinj.

So that intentionally places JAT to the end of 11 ABY, I’d say. Now Wedge has been on Coruscant 4-5 months by that point, which does less for One Canon frankly; the Empire hands over Coruscant after the Battle of Jakku. Because JAT seemingly sneaks into 12 ABY, it doesn’t immensely damage it narratively to nudge it to after Jakku in my eyes, but YMMV.

Golbolco likes this.