main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The One Canon

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sinrebirth , Aug 18, 2015.

1. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2016
    Thanks, @Sinrebirth ! Anything for one canon.
    That's a good catch! I need to look back at Solo Command and COPL, the whole X-Wing series was next on my list as I start developing concrete monthly timelines for the end of the Rebellion period. Because the honeymoon is a significant date, I'll probably end up using it as my reference point for JAT/IJ in the future.

The way I've sorted out the rump Imperial state in the Core in my mind is that Mas Amedda is the head of state for a Republic protectorate that gets fully absorbed by the time of The New Rebellion (17ABY). There is effectively a two-state, borderless solution: civilians may choose to maintain their citizenship and financial assets under their original Imperial chain code and be governed as Imperial citizens, while their neighbors can freely choose to "emigrate" to Republic status without getting up and moving. Coruscant is not joint-governed, but is host to two segregated governments, one of which is slowly being absorbed into the other. This gives room for the Republic to claim and reconstruct Coruscant while the Empire does the same, and this works for basically any point in the timeline after Dark Empire. Therefore, I'm not worried about when (or if) Wedge is on Coruscant. It just worked for me that Aftermath I takes place in the first four months after Palpatine dying, which was conveniently the same gap where Wedge is (mostly) offscreen.

I prefer a timeline where JAT does spill into 12ABY: my mission was mostly to find an unambiguous date to give to Empire's End, and things sort of fell into place from there. I'm more than happy to increase the gap between DEII and EE, so long as the Emperor's second death can be concretely given on a calendar. Indeed, if Canon ever gives an unambiguous calendar date to the Battle of Endor, I'll certainly reappropriate it for the Battle of Onderon.

I think I'm okay with part of JAT coming after Jakku, though I do think the best reading of JAT is that Ben Solo has yet to be born. I'm going to go pick up The Princess and the Scoundrel later today, so I'll see how that book impacts my judgement as well.

Some other stuff: I'm starting to develop a scheme where the Galactic Civil War does end for the New Republic in 12ABY with the Galactic Concordance, while the cold war/border war from 12-19ABY is considered a different war between a reconstituted Imperial Remnant and the New Republic. To Imperial historians, they are the same war. Does anyone have an idea for what to name the second war?

2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    The Senate was very much on Coruscant by Black Fleet Crisis, after all. I myself have mentally allowed the executive to move to Coruscant and legislature to remain on Chandrila (or Nakadia) as Aftermath III helpfully separated them!

This allows Mandalorian to have Chandrila as capital and Legends to have Coruscant as the capital.

And as to Mas Amedda and Imperial-Rebel overlap, I’ve no issues with that in my mind. It likely happened.

With the war between 12 ABY and 19 ABY (and 19 ABY and 25 ABY), the Galactic Civil War gets transformed into an era rather than a singular conflict, which I quite like.

Canon has a Cold War for the era post-Jakku involving the Empire’s remnants, soooo.

Chrissonofpear2, Vialco and Golbolco like this.
  3. RogueWhistler

RogueWhistler Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2021
    Is Mando Bib Fortuna in Firith Olan's body in one canon?

4. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    The Neoimperial Renaissance Era as I call it? Well, to Imperials it is all one flow, but to the Republic post Concordance/peace treaty future Imperials kinda are like the Second Imperium or Neoimperials in The New Rebellion novel were in Legends, terrorists and territorial holdouts that Pellaeon united into a cohesive threat so that a second Concordance/Peace treaty was needed 18/19 ABY.
    I think the NR does not call it a war in order to keep the image of peace and more likely calls it Operations, like the US do with terrorist cleanouts in foreign countries that not always but sometimes spill into full war like the Irak invasion.

So the NR's Outer Rim Campaign against the Imperial Remnant, the emerging Second Imperium with its long history back till Dark Empire and before to Cronal even and other Neoimperial Holdouts (which some have quite some old imperial roots or members), need several Operation names in my "Neoimperial Renaissance Era". Essentially interesting is how the Forceusing Imperials uniting in the Second Imperium split from the Non-users that Pellaeon collected after Dark Empire. While sometimes they tried to work together it often failed spectaculary as the Dark Jedi attracted the attention of Luke and his students like in the Katarn games and the Korriban raid. The Imperials realized they last longer against the NR if they do not provoke Jedi intervention by aligning with them. And the Dark Jedi thus built up their own Second Imperium as the first abandoned them aside the occasional joint venture due to shared interests.

The canon Cold War kinda is quite hot at times regarding the Empires holdouts and remnants, but the actual Cold War rather was with the Centrists turned First Order when they seceeded and absorbed Imperial holdouts.

Golbolco likes this.
  5. Golbolco

Jan 20, 2016
    I like the idea of the New Republic only acknowledging the last seven years of the GCW as “operations,” it’s very fitting especially for the depiction of the era and how internal crises like that at Corellia were dealt with.

Sidious is always operating in twos it seems, taking the Rule of Two and putting it on its side. You have everything from the corporatist Separatists and the nationalist Republicans during the Clone Wars, to the competing ISB heads in Isard and Blackhole. Seems he got very Hegelian with it.

I like to equate the magocratic Dark Empire and the nationalist Crimson Empire with similar cases of opposed parties forming coalitions in real life. You have Bolsheviks and Mensheviks, for example.

I wonder: is the Empire Reborn a group of Crimsons (non-Force using Imperials) who tried to elevate themselves to match the Darks? Basically a third position in the Imperial dichotomy?

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  6. RogueWhistler

RogueWhistler Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2021
    I don't see them as quite so distinct - the Crimson Empire was formed by a dark side conspiracy, after all. My impression is that most of the Crimson Empire used to be Dark, and as desperate and penny-ante as they are, Xandel Carivus and his council were the last iteration of the "legitimate" original Empire.

Vthuil and Golbolco like this.
  7. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    @Golbolco, I've been examining the timeline, and there is absolutely nothing to say when Mirax and Corran honeymoon'd.

It is merely after Zsinj dies, but before Thrawn returns. Which is some six months.

It could even be in 9 ABY at this point. I can't find a single source that specifies when it was, as far as I can tell.

Unless someone can correct me, that is.

Golbolco likes this.
  8. Golbolco

Jan 20, 2016
    That’s not a bad start, though! Zsinj dies at the Battle of Dathomir which concludes on March 21 of 8ABY. With Thrawn arriving in Lesser Space no less than six months later (publicly I think it’s closer to 8), then we’re looking at a time frame of late September to November. That means Corran and Mirax honeymooned in the middle of the year. Ergo, when IJ starts three years later, it can easily align with the dates we’ve cooked up so far. If nothing else, we’re on the right track.

9. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    How are you handling the Great ReSynchronisation telling us that the 3rd month of the year is the beginning of the ABY year, by the by?

10. Golbolco

Jan 20, 2016
    For the most part it hasn’t come up, really.

When I draft timelines, I just convert dates to a 365-day calendar that starts on 1/1. My timeline is definitely not a ten-month GrS calendar, nor is it the twelve-month variant that pops up from time to time.

My basic assumption is that most authors don’t write from an established in-universe calendar, and most stories aren’t long enough for it to really come up anyway. Not every author for Legends was using the same calendar, either. And most importantly, rarely did BBY/ABY mean that a story, to the day, took place a number of years before or after the day the Battle of Yavin took place.

The authors that my conversions affect most are Stackpole and Traviss, mostly, because their time frames are very explicit.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
    Sinrebirth likes this.
  11. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013

Well both structures of course tried to overtake the other and not just cooperation but also attempts at mergers existed. The Dark Side conspiracy behind the Crimson Empire is such a move, where it kinda evolves out of the Dark Empire and its Dark Side Elite and Red Guards and kinda turns over time to loosing the Forceuser elements entirely, growing out of them. The Second Imperium may be actually born from the leftovers of the Dark Empire elements the Crimson Empire abandoned as well as other strains from before DE even with Forceuser Warlords. Thus I see the Crimson Empire more of the middle ground that shed off the Darksiders and moved closer to the Pellaeon Remnant that ultimately absorbed it. After all, Carnor Jax and Lumiya conspired against Palpatine and his Dark Empire, yet with Lumiya elsewhere and Jax dead ultimately the last remains of Forceusers of the Crimson Empire were gone. And if OneCanon attempts to throw Crimson Empire in with Qi'ra's Crimson Dawn and the Hidden Empire arc upcoming, maybe this Shadows of the Empire criminal/corporate Imperial world fits right with Carivus and his Council. Qi'ra also conspired against Palpatine and the Sith in general as we know, so who knows if Qi'ra even was in leauge with Jax and Lumiya? Only that Lumiya tricked her or used her for her own plans for the Sith.

The Empire Reborn movement is closest to the Second Imperium actually in that it also is born out of the Darksider elements of the Dark Empire and earlier strains, but essentially is tied to reverence of the Force with the goal to empower artificially all, even non Users to become Forceusers aka the Reborn. They believe in leadership and resurrection of the Sith, much like the Sith Eternal in canon. Hence the attempt to revive Ragnos. The Empire Reborn are the Palpatinists that believed in the Dark Empire and want a version of it to go on, be it under Palpatine reborn, or Ragnos or any other Sith even. They evolved into the Second Imperium easily squaring Empire Reborn = Second Imperium. The Sith Eternal probably absorbed the Second Imperium / Empire Reborn movement or had quite some infiltrators in their ranks.

So you got Daala/Pellaeons Remnant for the Nonforceusers, the Empire Reborn/Second Imperium for the Forceusers and those who want to join their ranks revering the Sith. A third option kinda is wild card Lumiya, Cronal and the likes who do work against Palpatine's returns yet want to establish themselves and their own new Sith Order. Which Darth Krayt snatches right from under them rushing past them with his own version to their dismay coming out of nowhere.

So we have the Imperial and Darksider cadres quite split up as the NR and Jedi advance against them post Dark Empire:

First Order (Likely to have met or merged with the Empire of the Hand)
    Empire of the Hand (post Thrawn changing hands several times between First Order and Final Order and absorbing the Ascendancy as well as ultimately joining the Felpire)
    Crimson Empire (shaking off the Forceuser Dominion and ultimately turning into a Corporate/Alien Empire with heavy Thrawn influences akin to the Empire of the Hand, but failing and being folded into the Remnant loosing the progressive elements to the High Human Culture of the Remnant sadly, at least until the Remnant merged with the Empire of the Hand and the Felpire brought these pro-Alien Imperial trends back!)
    Neo-Imperials within NR (The New Rebellion & Bloodline novels) aka Centrists (later merged with First Order after Secession)
    Empire Reborn/Second Imperium (probably absorbed into the Sith Eternal / Final Order)
    Imperial Remnant (Deep Core Imperials that flee to the Rim and establish the Remnant and much later Felpire)
    Sith Eternal / Final Order (taking over the First Order later)

And Wild Cards Lumiya and Cronal and their countless protegés and failing attempts to establish themselves... via Jax, via Maul clones, via Lord Nyax, via Darth Caedus and even via Vongerella who may or may not have had a hand in the Ossus Project's failure.

Agreed! The Crimson Empire was the original Empire's last breath as it tried to shake off the Sith dominion, then the Darksider members, ultimately being folded into the Remnant too kinda after loosing the Darksiders.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
    Force Smuggler and Golbolco like this.
  12. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Because the Restored Empire and Empire Reborn are fundamentally underground organisations, I tend to call the post-12 ABY timeframe the Six Empire’s Era.

Galactic Empire, True Empire, Deep Core, First Order, Empire of the Hand, Final Order.

Preceded of course by the Three Empire’s Era - the Galactic Empire, Dark Empire and Empire of the Hand.

PCCViking and Golbolco like this.
  13. VaderBoyee

VaderBoyee Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 9, 2021
    Need help from the One Canon Squad (don't worry it's not fan films)!

I need a retcon for the microseries finale and "Old Friends Not Forgotten". I am writing a timeline and want to include both. Anything?

14. Irredeemable Fanboy

Irredeemable Fanboy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 27, 2020
    I remember watching a video a couple of years ago that detailed how 2003 CW's ending could still fit with Season 7's ending, here's the video, i think it made some convincing points:

The timeline placement is rather simple and it could work if viewed in that order, what makes it complicated is LoE.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
    VaderBoyee and Chrissonofpear2 like this.
  15. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I mean they're very specifically placed Yerbana in the same coordinates as Tythe and Nevlaan so they clearly are making at least some effort to keep parts relevant and I like that.

16. QuinlanSolo

QuinlanSolo Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 17, 2019
    As Per @HEDGESMFG
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BlXgAaPSr7KHaqI0cFx8moshwtQ-86GoVeeya99DQQk/edit

Fitting Brotherhood in, though, still seems something of a headache.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2022
    Irredeemable Fanboy and Golbolco like this.
  17. VaderBoyee

VaderBoyee Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 9, 2021
    Thanks! My timeline will be here soon for all to see!

Irredeemable Fanboy likes this.
  18. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
  19. QuinlanSolo

Jun 17, 2019
    Before I read Brotherhood, I assumed it would fit into the timeline something like this:

But HEDGESMFG pointed out:

So the nub of the issue is when Anakin was knighted in relation to when Obi-Wan first meets Ventress. I wanted to try for two knightings, as Kenobi's pov in Brotherhood clearly indicates he has no idea who Ventress is - which shouldn't be true if he has already encountered her on Ohma-D'un, Queyta, Jabiim, Rattatak, and Ord Cestus. But Anakin is so clearly just a padawan in the Republic comics, not remotely enjoying the degree of autonomy he has in Brotherhood. Brotherhood fits in really well with the old CW microseries, and Chen clearly made the effort to have them connect, but he doesn't seem to have taken the Republic comics into account. Not saying that's his fault at all - not a matter of fault, just the way things shook out, but also a headache to retcon it all together. I suppose we can say Obi-Wan blocked out who Ventress was after she tortured him on Rattatak, but that feels a bit like a cop-out at this point. Or we can just Steve Sansweet "foggy-window" the thing by squinting and ignoring Anakin was a padawan in the Republic comics (sort of like what the Essential Atlas did to the Clone Wars timeline, before the Reader's Companion crammed most of the EU into the first month).

I know it won't be designed for this sort of thing, but I'd love for the upcoming Timelines book to sort this out and give us a canon retcon.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
    Irredeemable Fanboy likes this.
  20. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I’ve become more inclined over the years for multi-layer Knightship. There are numerous Trials to complete to become a Jedi Knight, and a brevet rank perhaps occurs - especially during the Clone Wars and onwards.

Skill, Courage, Flesh, Spirit and Insight.

We did have Luke’s Jedi knighted twice, I recall, for example. It’s a hand-sleight, but I’m not opposed to it. Even when Anakin was Knighted by the Council on the Clone Wars show for example, he hadn’t completed the Trial of Spirit yet.

21. Irredeemable Fanboy

Mar 27, 2020
    Yeah if Jacen and Jaina are allowed to have two Knightings, Anakin is okay too, perhaps the first Knighting was just to give him more of a command rank during the war, hence why we see him performing some solo missions during the early war such as his command role during Muunilist and his campaign almost right after AOTC during The New Droid Army or the Clone Wars PS2 game, of course he's still not as independent as a Jedi General yet, as shown in the comics, but it does look like Anakin was the exception when it came to Padawans during the Clone Wars regarding his importance.

Or perhaps one can attribute some memory loss from Obi-Wan's part, is there an event that happens to Obi that can justify it? Personally i prefer the two knightings idea, or maybe Anakin was even demoted at some point.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
    QuinlanSolo and Sinrebirth like this.
  22. QuinlanSolo

Jun 17, 2019
    The only other explanation I can think of is that perhaps Ventress used Dathomiri magic/Nightsister spells to disguise herself from Obi-Wan or confuse him, like a perception filter in Dr. Who, or the spiritual equivalent of a Rako Hardeen face-change.

I can imagine Anakin being demoted or returned to padawan status in the wake of Obi-Wan's capture at Jabiim - the council worries this will unbalance him, so they assign Ki-Adi Mundi as his master, as per the comics.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
  23. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I can see that, definitely. Brevet rank, after all.

24. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Ok something odd for OneCanon...

As per april fools joke fans to this day love to take seriously, Willow is canon and in the GFFA. But we need a Willow OneCanon because Willowverse itself has at least three distinct timelines by now!

1) The movie itself was continued in an rpg guidebook that detailed character fates onwards.
    2) Later only Lucas/Claremont released a book trilogy of Sequels to Willow that featured on its own two distinct timelines at war with each other kinda in a crossover.
    3) And the new D+ Willow Sequel series probably will ignore both earlier continuations from the looks of the Trailer alone already.

While ultrarare and overpriced if on ebay, the rpg intel is hardest to come by, but it exists.
    The novels are set latest in the timeline but their backstory contradicts the rpg.

So, question is how to OneCanon all these? Or rather, which Willow timeline sits within which Legends/Disneycanon/Infinities universes of the GFFA?

One might fit D+ series into DisneyCanon GFFA, Claremont novels in Legends as they are the best known and kinda mirror late Legends nicely with some storybeats. That would leave the rpg one for an Infinities scenario.

QuinlanSolo likes this.
  25. Irredeemable Fanboy

Mar 27, 2020
    @Sinrebirth How does Durge survive getting thrown into a sun?

I used to think he broke out of the escape pod with brute strenght and stayed floating in space until he was shortly found by some pirates or a SIS rescue team, he could have grabbed a respirator unit if he even needs one, but i'm not sure because the comic shows Durge getting burned... I didin't remember that detail.

Maybe it's a clone Dooku had in store just in case? Is it another Gen'dai who took the name of Durge to keep the legend alive? What if the Durge we see in the Clone Wars isn't the original Durge either, and it was a lineage of multiple Gen'dai making use of their reputation as immortal beings to replace Durge over and over again the moment he takes something he can't regenerate from?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
    Golbolco likes this.