main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Order 66 Quadrilogy (6.01-6.04) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by AkashKedavra_93, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Werebazs

Werebazs Jedi Master star 1

Mar 20, 2013
    The thing is Fox was stationed on Corruscant. He probably never saw actual battle. Probably he had never even killed anyone before Fives. And he certainly wasn't effected by a Jedi general, who insired individual thinking in him. Palpatine gave him the order to kill Fives, if he resisted -which Palpatine could be sure of-, so Fox did it.
    Also keep in mind, Fox was going for the kill from the start, when Ahsoka escaped, even BEFORE he discovered the clones, murdered with lightsaber. He only switched to stun, when Anakin gave an explicit order to do it

16hungm and Revanfan1 like this.
  2. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011

This may be as simple as kill or be killed logic. Fives has a gun aimed at Fox and to everyone watching Fives seemed bonkers. So... Fox shot him fatally first before Fives could shoot him. Fox probably never knew Fives and wouldn't have know he'd probably never hurt another brother even after going insane. I just don't believe Fives would have pull the trigger, if he did the blaster would have been on stun. I assume the little pistols Rex carries have a stun setting to. I also figured Palps has ordered Fives to be executed once captured as part of his contingency plan.

thatotherjedi and Revanfan1 like this.
  3. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Thanks, Mia, I'd totally forgotten about this. Yeah, it makes even more sense now. I never really faulted Fox for shooting Fives logically (even though emotionally I despised him for it) and it makes more sense if it's just a thing that's done in-universe to deal with those rebellious little ARCs, so to speak. It'd be ironic to find out that Fox was one of the men trained by Jaing and Kom'rk (those were the two Nulls that trained the Covert Ops troopers, right?).

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  4. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Was just pondering this today, and not sure if anyone brought this up... Domino squad was the exception to the rule when it came to Clone troopers who passed training. They were more independent and more likely to utilize creative thinking. I think if it weren't for Shaak Ti intervening in this specific instance and giving them another chance, they would have been rejected. So it's almost a fluke that Fives passed training with his squad, survived to be an ARC trooper unlike most of his squadmates, and then he was the only one who made it as far as he did to get a chance to investigate the conspiracy of Order 66. The odds were against him as there were other checks and balances to make sure only the cookie-cutter and subservient Clones made it through. He had more of an independent streak and was capable of questioning orders which was also affected by his working with Anakin for a time, so he was a very specific case.

By the time of Ep 3, almost all the Clones in the army were more subservient as the others would have been weeded out. So they would not have taken Fives path of investigating the conspiracy. The chip was in there just to make sure they followed the kill order though as that is pushing subservience to a higher bar especially for an army who worked with Jedi who inspired them in the way they did. The one question mark that we know of is Rex. What did he do with the information he learned from Fives? Where was he at the time of Order 66? Well we obviously don't know but I think we need to push for an on-screen story to be made to address this.

5. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Fives was really the only cradle to grave character arc with in TCW.

We first met him as a clone who had temper issues and barely passed as a cadet. We followed him on his first assignment on the Rishi Moon Base where he lost three of his training mates and was taken into the 501st along with Echo. We see Fives' growing devotion to brotherhood which may be what got him promoted along with Echo in ARC Troopers. Then Echo dies in the Citadel Arc which puts Fives into the mindset he was in Umbara where he was particularly abrasive with Krell. Fives the charismatic ARC Trooper wasn't going to take the treatment of his brothers like that and their pointless sacrifice so for the Republic he goes rogue with three clones, scored the victory Krell could not, and is nearly executed for it. By the time of the Order 66 arc he is devoted to the point he's laying his life down on a whim to find out what happened to Tup and how to save more clones, how to save his sorta father Rex. Fives is right up there with Ventress (who is pretty much an honorary TCW OC) and Rex for best developed TCW OC.

Unfortunately it seems like the clones were with Fives' deaths being unanimously treated as products and set to get a firmware update err... inoculation to guarantee the chip would function. Its sad to think of the waste to Rex's character if after all the independence and development he's gotten if a kill switch is pressed and that's it for Rex. Rex in my opinion is most independent clone of all. And not only is Rex more independent than Cut and Five he's also much smarter than either. Rex is fully capable of choosing which orders to follow or not. He is constantly redefining to himself what it means to be a good soldier. He lets Cut go and keeps the deserter's secret to himself.

Rex was the one who went into uncharted territory, he asked "Why did you do it General Krell?" while Tup, Jessie, Kix, and Fives just wanted to execute him. Rex flip flips throughout the series back and forth from a character who might be complacent with Order 66 to a character who would never follow it. I can see Rex removing his chip. I could see him staying in the army or running away. It was Rex who wondered what would happen after the wars. It was Rex who was fighting the evil he can't well imagine, I wonder what he thinks of that line now. That the evil he can't well imagine may sit within his own conscious gray matter.

6. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    The other thing that might have happened in Season 8 (Brent Friedman's Rex/R2 "buddy" arc which reminded him of Terminator 2) was a noble sacrifice for some kind of greater good which would have taken him out of the Order 66 conflict altogether. I for one think this would be a cop out, particularly because how great could that cause be that he sacrificed himself for? Considering what we know about where the story goes in Ep 3. That would be a waste of the character. If that's where they were going, i'd prefer a re-write of whatever Season 8 was and get us a fresh take on where Rex ended up.
    That conflict is the more interesting one, and I have to admit that i'm biased in thinking I want Rex to leave the war after discovering certain things. I guess he could have confirmed the things Fives had spoken to him about the conspiracy, but taken the route of bailing given what happened to Fives. Is bailing out something Rex would do though? Maybe not considering his soldier's code. Time travel maybe? ;)

QuangoFett likes this.
  7. 16hungm

16hungm Jedi Youngling

Apr 3, 2014
    This arc TRULY reveals the Kaminoan's true nature. I finally understand what made Kal Skirata hate all Kaminoans soo much. "Kaminoan property"????/ HOW DARE YOU!!! I AM A LIVING BEING!!! If I were Fives and Nala Se wanted to terminate me, I would have shot her right there and then

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I was given the impression from the Obi-Wan/Dex conversation in AOTC that cloning was acceptable practice in the GFFA and that the Kaminoans were not bad people, they were simply businessmen or mercenaries.

Specifically breeding clones for war is probably another moral issue altogether but the Republic had not had a war for a thousand years. I doubt anyone in the GFFA would be capable of even comprehending the moral issues surrounding war or the horror of it.

Makes me think of the stories of the early days of the American Civil War when people in the DC area actually took picnics to watch the first Battle of Bull Run, thinking they were going to get a great show, not realizing that war means, um, people getting shot and bleeding and screaming and dying.

I don't like the way this arc retconned the Kaminoans to be ***holes. If cloning automatically meant "producing slaves," that should have been addressed in AOTC but it was not.

9. Mandalore The Ultimate

Mandalore The Ultimate Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 15, 2015
    That was based off unused concept art for the PT. The writers didn't come up with it.

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the novelization of AOTC - Obi-Wan is outright revolted by their callousness when he's on Kamino.

Kamino's not part of the Republic - it's "beyond the Outer Rim".

11. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

He should have found their callous worldview repulsive. That's in character.

Iron Lord, you're the incarnation of a great encyclopedia.

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I think Iron_lord is a living embodiment of Wookiepidia.

SateleNovelist11 and Iron_lord like this.
  13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Only without constantly arguing with myself :D

14. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Let's just remember the saddest death in TCW.

I hope Rex name drops fives in Rebels

Lastly I find it very interesting that all the coruscant troopers have the standard trooper cut, unlike all the clones on the field who have different hair styles.

This might show that they almost have no personalty/individualism unlike field troopers.

thatotherjedi likes this.
  15. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Also note that we don't see Commander Fox remove his helmet.

He's still loyal to the emperor through and through. It fits with his personality, considering that he was willing to shoot to kill with Ahsoka.

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Oh. How I wish that happened.:p

But I mean in Fox's Defense it did seem she did kill a bunch of clone troopers.

17. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    This was an interesting arc. The Bourne style conspiracy element was very cool.

But I would have preferred either a different outcome to maintain the sanctity of an executive order unknown to but a select group of people, perhaps even only the Chancellor and cloners themselves (and thus the clones), similar to what is explored in Labrynth of Evil.

Personally I prefer the movie story of Order 66 rather than chips. I also would prefer if the Jedi are still kept in the dark. The scene with Anakin and Rex attempting to retrieve the clone was very cool. Would have been better to be a CIS conspiracy (a test by Sidious for instance).

Was great to see Shaak Ti in acton again..loved the ooooh from the crowd at her jump.

Also nice to see Kamino. Would have been better I think had the clone who shot the Jedi been killed instantly by either a trooper or a droid sniper to up the tension and avoid the Jedi discovering a real reason behind it.

Rather than a chip would be better for a secret transmission to that particular clone to execute the said order. I think it's nicer as an executive order (as in the movies and various books like Rise of Darth Vader, the comics etc) and that Rex and a few commandos (e.g. Rise of Darth Vader) were exempt from carrying it out as they were clones who were bred with some form of independence (ARC troopers and thinkers over the regular clone infantrymen).

CIS Droid and pronker like this.
  18. CIS Droid

CIS Droid AOTC 20th Anniversary Banner Winner star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 21, 2015
    I haven't watched this arc in a while but i remember loving it. Im okay with the clone chip, though i hope they explain the Rebels clone trio

DarthTalonx likes this.
  19. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    Yeah the arc had that spy/conspiracy style feel which was nice. I didn't really see the need for chips, given it's an executive order. Would be cool if the ARC troopers had been raised differently to the other countless infantrymen, and thus had a degree of independence to make a choice. Then it would be interesting to see them having been shocked and leaving the Imperial army at some point seeing what had become of their fellow brothers, that they were just virtual slaves to Coruscant.

20. thatotherjedi

thatotherjedi Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 6, 2015
    I thought the Kaminoians negotiated themselves into the Republic in exchange for the Clone Army. Isn't there a Kaminoian senator in TCW?

21. moonjump05

moonjump05 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 14, 2013
    I think they meant during AotC, the Kaminoans did join the Republic later during the war.

Iron_lord and thatotherjedi like this.
  22. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Kamino is largely still absent from the new canon?