main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Original Character Alliance (ANYONE WANT A NEW CHALLENGE???)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by tatooinewizard, Jun 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tatooinewizard

tatooinewizard Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2003
    I know there's another OC thread around here, but I don't think this really interlocks with that one. I hope it doesn't because I've given the matter some research, but getting to business this Alliance is mainly a support group for people who write OC fics and feel disgruntled because they are getting nowhere, it seems, in this Canon Character Empire--pardon the expression.

Others who intertwine both OCs with the canons are allowed too, and those who feel the need to rebel against the norm but are holding back.

The OC Dominion seems utterly obscure and uncared about. It is upsetting to say the least (I know it's bothered me and others)and so I believe that us OC writers (and readers too) should band together and help each other out.

2. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    I have lots of OCs, but they mix with canon characters. Count me in!

3. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Chosen One star 4

Aug 9, 2002
    I write OC and OC & canon mix. I'm with you too!

4. lordmaul13

lordmaul13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 18, 2000
    I've written two one-posters with canon characters, everything else has been 100% OC. So what are we doing?

Oh, wizard, I'm sorry about not keeping caught up on your story. I've really enjoyed it it's just been DRL keeping me away.

lordmaul13

5. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    So...we need something to mark us as a group. Do we wanna put something in our sigs?

6. jedi_bounty

jedi_bounty Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2002
    I've written a few Canon stories, but I'm now branching out to OC. But right now, my OC/Canon story only has one reader (other than my betas and such) that I know of. And I have a completly OC story in the works, it's just not posted yet and probably won't be for awhile.

I'd like to join in on this, I just don't quite know what "this" is yet. I also hope I'm not disqualified because I used to write Canon. :(

Good idea though tatooinewizard.

JB

7. tatooinewizard

May 13, 2003
    Darklighter: The Force told me you'd show up. Anyway that thing about putting the link in our sigs, well that's a good idea, I was thinking about putting it in mine at least.

Vi: Welcome, I'm glad you've dropped by.

lordmaul: I'll explain, or at least try to elaborate, in a minute. On the other note, glad you haven't lost interest in my story. I figured it was DRL junk, but I can be a bit paranoid.

jedi_bounty: Sure, you're welcome here. This is far from elitist. Anybody who's dealt with OCs in any decent capacity, whether there were canon characters or not. And even if there are people out there who are interested in writing OCs but hasn't because they don't really attract all that much attention.

So now for the explanation of what I was planning to do with the Alliance. This is a place where people who enjoy writing OCs can come for support. What do I mean by support, well, okay (am I glad I'm not in front of a crowd)

one: (now some people don't have time for this and it is possible to fill one's plate too full) but reading as many Alliance members fics as possible. That would be a real confidence booster to some, seeing that they've got people who actually care about there work. Now I figure, I've got a semi-decent following for writing OCs and for not having been on these boards two months, but some people can't say that for themselves.

two: if someone's feeling down about their work, members of the Alliance could give words of encouragement to them. That's something I can appreicate the need for that because in the span of which I was writing 'The Legend of Black Saber' I would have given a lot to hear some encouragement about it (I hadn't found these boards yet) and I almost gave into a writer's block spurred on by self-doubt. I kept going only because I thought I might never finish it if I stopped.

three: (got one now) Critiquing of original characters and stories in which OCs appear. I'm not much good at giving very direct comments, whether good or bad, which is why I've not signed up for any beta reading duties, but I will put in what I can.

8. the_jedi_princess

the_jedi_princess Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    I have OC's who interlink with Canon Characters, meaning I couldn't join the old OC Fan Fic group, but I'll sure jump in on this one. :p

9. tatooinewizard

May 13, 2003
    Welcome, jedi_princess. I'm glad that I have something that will seprate me from the other thread. I don't want the Alliance to get bumped off because I personally thought it was a good, fresh idea.

10. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    The Force, eh, old wizard? I like the way you think.

VI! *hugs* :-D

I'm not going to add a link, per se, just something along the lines of "Proud Member of the OC Alliance!".

I have a lot of stuff in my sig. Being a member of an insane group of girls does that to you. :-D

I have an idea. Why don't we all create profiles of our most important OCs, along with a little info about ourselves, and I can create a website for us. Anybody like?

11. JainaDurron

JainaDurron Jedi Master star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    I often have OC characters in my canon fics as well.

~~Jilly

12. Darth_Tim

Darth_Tim Jedi Master star 4

Feb 26, 2002
    Cool. I like canon characters, but OC's are fun and rewarding too, and in some examples (like my Palpy fic, which takes place when most of the PT characters are too young, or haven't been born yet) an absolute necessity. They're also challenging and I love a good challenge.

My Ep 2 has quite a few, namely my Chiss Sith OC Darth Raptor and Admiral Haas, who is a something of a combination of two real-life American World War II commanders.

-Tim

13. AlrikFassbauer

AlrikFassbauer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2003
    Excuse me, what do you actually mean with "Original Character" ?

14. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001
    Alrik, ?Original Characters? (OC) as in personalities and people created by you personally, no one else. I haven?t got a long definition on hand, but you can manage to get the gist of the term. You bring a character you created to life in your fan fiction, and that person becomes your ?Original Character?. By that same token, you could create the character and someone else could use that personality in their fanfic, but it would still be your OC.

Good luck to this thread in the future :).

Am [face_love]

15. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    Thank you, Empress. *bows deeply in respect* You explained it so much better than I would have. *is bad at explaning stuff*

:-D

16. tatooinewizard

May 13, 2003
    Great idea, Darklighter!

And a warm welcome to Tim, Jilly, and perhaps Alrik.

The best news of all... a blessing from a mod! And thanks, Am, for the great description of an original character.

17. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    I'd like to join in, as I mentioned in the society of readers ignored, where this idea began. :)

I've got stories where OCs mingle with canon characters, and I've got a couple of already written stories where it's just OCs.

It's very difficult to get noticed when the story just has OCs, because there really isn't a "support group" for OCs.

So, what's the plan for this alliance? Are we going to critique each other's OCs or even OC stories if that's what a person writes? I know that I'm prepared to put my neck on the chopping block so I can have a better story with better plot and characterization.

I must say that I'm not into stories from the prequel era, unless they're OC. I am, however, very big into stories from the Tales of the Jedi era (Pre TPM), so if you write stuff in this era, please let me know! :)

Jae Angel

18. Lisse

Lisse Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 6, 2001
    I'd love to join. I'm writing an AU where almost all of the main characters are OCs. I'm so happy other people like original characters. They seem to get maligned a lot.

19. Dark_lord_Ani

Dark_lord_Ani Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 17, 2003
    I haven't actually written anything yet, but I plan to do a OC fic. Count me in!

20. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    *makes member list*

21. tatooinewizard

May 13, 2003
    Wow! There's eleven of us so far. I guess this was a pretty decent idea after all. I'm glad I wasn't any more hesitant about starting this thread.

Naurundi: Critiquing is a good idea, for both charcters and stories. I'll put that as number three on my explanation post. I don't know anything about Tales of the Jedi, but two of the books in my trilogy are set way before TPM. One's 185 years before, the other is 145 years before.

Lissie: I definitely agree with you. I knew there had to be some people out there who liked reading and writing about OCs besides me and the few I was aware of.

Dark_lord_Ani: Welcome. You can start posting your story here for critiques once you've started if you're interested.

22. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Chosen One star 4

Aug 9, 2002
    Oooh! Such growth and enthusiasm already! I love it!

EMMI! *waves* Way to be on the ball with a member list!

And a blessing from Am, how sweet of you!

Lisse, your fic is awesome! I encourage everyone who has not already done so to check out "The Circle" in the classic forum. Great fic.

To everyone - glad to be a part of this with you. Can't wait to get rolling! :)

~Vi~

23. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    My story takes place in between Episode III and ANH, and it deals with the concept of jedi from another neighboring galaxy. The main concept is that I wanted to explore what things were like with a jedi order undisturbed by the jedi purge. The title, "Edge of the Purge" came from the idea that Vader's reach could only extend out so far.

I'm really excited to start this up! :) I think hearing other people's stories about stuff before TPM will be fun and inspiring! :D

Jae Angel

24. Darth_Tim

Darth_Tim Jedi Master star 4

Feb 26, 2002
    Interesting idea, NJ.

-Tim

25. AlrikFassbauer

AlrikFassbauer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2003
    Thanks for the explanation ! :)

Count me in !

Thread Status: