main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Original Character Story Database

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by -Z-, Jul 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Z-

-Z- Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 20, 2003
    -----

When in the Course of fanfic events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the genre bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the Forum, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Fiction and of Fiction's Muse entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of fellow Authors requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all Original Characters are created equal, that they are endowed by their Authors with certain unalienable Wants, that among these are Readership, Input, and the pursuit of a Massive Fan Base. --That to secure these Wants, Readers are instituted within fiction, deriving their just pleasure in Reading from the soul-rending, almost arthritic pangs of the Author, who didst labor so diligently in front of the Word Processor. --That whenever any body of Readers becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the Authors to congregate in a receptive environment, and to institute an interested Readership, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Interest and Happiness.

-----

Ye Olde Mission Statement

If you're beginning to write, are in the progress of writing, or have written a piece of fiction that centers around original characters, you may have felt a bit of discouragement at seeing your story vanish, lost under four or five pages of angst and romance within a day. Well, no more! Actually, let's not kid ourselves. Our OC stories will most likely never be as popular as canon fics (unless through some fluke our OCs are someday canonized, heh), but there is certainly an OC readership out there, even if we are as pebbles in a landslide compared to canon readers and writers. But at least we can find each other's stories, now! :)

What I hope to establish here is a list of every OC-driven story in the Fan Fiction forums.

Completed works as well as in-progress ones both, divided into three sub-lists, with one for each board, is what I'm thinking. I'll be on the lookout for stories and will add them as I find them, but if you're reading or writing one I haven't seen or added yet, send me the url, title, board and author and I'll pop it in as well.

-----

FYI:

As of now, I'm just listing the stories as I find them or as people tell me of them. There's no rhyme or reason behind the order in which they are listed--for now. Eventually, if this task doesn't turn into a bigger slice than I can swallow, I plan to get them nice and organized--either by author or by genre, though most likely the former.

While I am actively scouting for OC fics on the three boards, I may miss some, especially if the title looks like this: (L/M H/L OCs drama) I'll tend to see the "L/M" and automatically assume that the OCs play a minor role, and skip over it. If the story actually focuses on the Original Characters, with Luke, Mara, Han, and Leia as the supporting cast, then it should be on this list. Let me know if your story is one of these. :)

Note also that it takes a bit more than just having an Original Character in your story to make it an OC Story. Before submitting, read over your story and ask yourself if your Original Character(s) are the ones driving the story, or if you're merely writing a canon fic with an original supporting cast. I'll try to be gentle when I have to make that distinction, and ask that any opinions/input from the readership be readily given--after all, I don't command a monopoly on sense.

Finally, if you're browsing the list and find a broken link or a link that takes you to the wrong location, please let me know. I don't think there are any (I've tested most of them, and they all look alright in markup), but who knows?

2. -Z-

Dec 20, 2003
    Before The Saga

The First by Kynstar
    Invisible Enemy by Jane Jinn
    Crash Course by Lilith Demodae
    Crash Course 2: Perfect by Lilith Demodae
    Jedi Warrior #1 by Jedi_Knight_Darkarna
    Letting Go by Tekli_theInsane
    The Cost of Honor by Ty-gon Jinn
    Feudal Space by Keeper_of_Swords
    Ruins by GunslingerJade
    Laughter and Nightmares by djcati
    Repercussions by Layren
    They Also Serve by Mistress_Renata
    Protest by Mistress_Renata
    To Skin A Gundark by Mistress_Renata
    Jerjerrod's Gift by Mistress_Renata
    Of Bonds And Beauty by Mistress_Renata
    The Curse of the Jedi's Tomb by Mistress_Renata
    A Force to be Reckoned With by Mistress_Renata
    Things That Go Bump in the Night by Mistress_Renata
    Not An Option by Mistress_Renata
    Bound to Happen by Mistress_Renata
    Memoriam by Mistress_Renata
    Tale of a Jedi: Volume 2 by red_rose_knight
    The Cost of Honor Prologues by Ty-gon Jinn
    The Cost of Honor by Ty-gon Jinn
    Incurable by Miana Kenobi
    Life Goes On, Sequel to "Incurable" by Miana Kenobi
    The Cost of Friendship by Miana Kenobi
    Trial by Fire - The Holocron of Tallamichuk by emimar
    Trading Lives by EsperVeum
    Veiled Fate by JaersteinCysse
    Clone Wars, The Hunt by boady22
    The Cloud City Caper by Apocalyptic_Jawa
    Legerdemain by Apocalyptic_Jawa
    A Little Night Work by Apocalyptic Jawa
    Red by Apocalyptic_Jawa
    To Still the Fates : Crèchewaif by Arin_Atona
    [link=http://bo

3. DarkDroid

DarkDroid Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2004
  4. -Z-

Dec 20, 2003
    Added :)

5. djcati

djcati Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2004
    Can you add vignettes? Since, as of the moment, I've only written a one-poster with OC's... that I may or may not use in future again...

If so, then I've got one for Before the Saga
    Laughter and Nightmares - http://boards.theforce.net/Before_the_Saga/b10475/16250247/?5
    I was never very good with thinking up titles....

6. -Z-

Dec 20, 2003
    I'll add anything that's OC-centric. ;)

Yours is added.

7. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Please add my story Repercussions. Kyran and Devin are very major characters in this particular story. :)

8. female_obi_wan

female_obi_wan Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 1, 2002
    Ooh, nice idea for a thread!

May A Long Time Ago, my OC fic, be added? :)

It's at http://boards.theforce.net/Beyond_the_Saga/b10477/15531353/?19

9. -Z-

Dec 20, 2003
    Layren - Added!

female_obi_wan - Thanks, and added!

10. AnakinsHeir

AnakinsHeir Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2004
    This is a great idea! I plan to check out at least one of the OC stories listed here each day. This is a wonderful way to broaden the usual reading habits of anyone, especially a lurker like me!

11. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    What a job you've undertaken, Z! All my stories are OC centric, they're all set "Before" and anyone interested can just look in my profile, they're all there.

:)

12. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Not sure how you missed Red_Rose_Knights completely OC driven story. It is set way before any of the canon characters are alive. Wonderful read and the second in a series. It's on the Before boards.

Tale of a Jedi- Volume 2

My current story is centered heavily around my original character Eitan Delano . He has decided to overshadow the canon folks and make the story his own. :) The Saga boards.

Live What You Learn

13. Mjsullivan

Mjsullivan Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2003
    A very good idea for a thread, -Z- - My reading list has just been extended something big! You have my thanks for being brave enough to try and compile a list like this!

Well done :D

14. -Z-

Dec 20, 2003
    Alright, look at all the input!

AnakinsHeir - Thanks! I'm glad you find it useful. That's what it's here for. And I'm sure the authors of the stories you read'll be just as happy. ;)

Mistress_Renata - Should I have attributed Invisible Enemy to just Jane, or to both of you? Also, your stories will be added momentarily. :)

obi_ew - Very easily. For the initial list I just skimmed over titles in all three forums and if an OC fic jumped out at me, I added it. I know I missed a bunch. Yours and Red_Rose_Knights stories will be added in just a moment.

Mjsullivan - Heheh, I know! When I posted the initial list, I'd only seen it with all the urls written out, so it looked all mashed up. Seeing it printed nice and clean made my left eye begin to twitch. Omigod. Lots of stories. Lots of reading. And thanks for the words of support. :)

15. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    What about stories in the Classic forum?

16. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Beat me to it, Miana! I was thinking some dedicated person might go through and index all the OC stories on the Classics forum. It'd be a long project, but it would be a great resource for this thread. :)

*Derisa*

17. -Z-

Dec 20, 2003
    I can archive the Classic forum in one of two ways--I can put the stories in the list above based on when they take place, or I can just make a fourth sub-list for all the stories posted in the Classic forum itself. Either way's good for me--most of Mistress_Renata's (edit: and Ty-gon Jinn's) fics that I put in yesterday are on the Classic board, and I was wondering the same thing.

Which way would you all prefer?

18. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    You're the one doing most of the work, Z. Personally, if the link is included, I'd try to put them where they WOULD belong (Before, etc.) But whatever is easier on you.

Oh, dear... so many stories, so little time... :p

19. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
  20. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I think you should just make a 4th section, incase someone goes to that board looking for the story. :)

21. Dante_Glass

Dante_Glass Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    Hey this is a great idea, my fan fic, all original characters...its in my sig i'm to lazy to copy past it.

22. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    Here's a question...

What about Stories with OC's (A whole Squadron) who meet up with Rogue Squadron?

Does that count in the OC stories, or no...?

23. -Z-

Dec 20, 2003
    I think a sort of compromise will work best--I'll put stories on the Classic board under the category they would belong in, but I'll tack a little notation to each to show they're physically located on the Classic board.

sidious618 - No problem. Added. :)

Dante_Glass - Thanks! Story's been added.

Jade_Max - If the story's about an OC squad that meets up with Rogue Squadron, then it's an OC fic. If it's a story about Rogue Squadron meeting an OC squad, then it's not an OC fic. :) I read the first post, and it seems to be the former, so your story has been added.

24. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    No problem. Added.

25. Rose_Skywalker

Rose_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 17, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.