main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Orville [Seth McFarlane's returning Sci-Fi Show]

Discussion in 'Community' started by RX_Sith, Sep 2, 2017.

1. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    I’m liking this show but this last episode was rather unclear as to story.
    Ship crashes doctor held captive for whatever reason and the local seem to want to kill!

Why why why?

2. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Big war, poisoned water/food makes people mad

Kidnapper telegraphed wanting company but did it badly (I actually felt a little bad for him when he bought it)

Kind of explained in the episode I thought.

3. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    Explained? Weakly! Just thought the plot was kind of shotgunned no real story other than a ship with a family crashes, is marooned with danger around then saved. I could have come up with this one...

4. slidewhistle

slidewhistle Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 24, 2015
    I kind of thought they'd do something with the doctor having to take a life to escape, especially with the bit at the end where she hadn't submitted her report yet.

5. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Explained weakly.... yup I kind of implied that when I said it was kinda explained in the episode

So explained yes.

Weakly? definitely

still explained though.

For me I was happy with a weak explanation though. I don't need everything telegraphing to me like Wocky does. This episode didn't imply that she was a slaver or a murderer for fun (As a Wocky type individual may believe).
    Not everything needs to be covered off by vast amounts of exposition. This had a few cast away comments which I personally found were sufficient for me to enjoy the episode.

If it didn't work for you then fair enough; everything can't be everything for everyone.

6. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I really liked this episode. It was the most filler ish but it had amazing character building for Dr Phin/Fin and Issac(he’s a beast). Also Trek fans got an xtra treat with franchise guest star Brian Thompson appearing.

I thought it was another win.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah it was great having Thompson guest star but they did kinda waste him (literally). I hope they do a follow up with him or something because otherwise his plotline was definitely undercooked.

The Isaac/kids stuff worked very well though, so fortunately that was the main plot.

Also, is this the first confirmation of kids aboard the ship ala Enterprise D? Outside of Bortus’s newborn of course. Seth also making a clear Family Guy nod by reusing the “Mom. Mom. Mommy!” bit.

And the one exchange still cracks me up:

Kitan: What is that?
    Bortus: It appears to be a Class 2 spacial fold.
    Malloy: Back at the Academy, we called that a "glory hole"
    Mercer: YOU called it a glory hole. Nobody else called it a glory hole.

Bortus: Entering glory hole.
    Mercer: No, Bortus- never mind...

The soy sauce spill as part of the damage report was also a great bit too.

darthOB1 likes this.
  8. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    That’s the brilliance of using Thompson. It doesn’t really matter if that character went anywhere. He ll most likely show up again in a different role like in Trek. Just think of him as an expanded red shirt this Ep.

My fav bit had to be Issac offering in all seriousness to vaporize the kids.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I enjoy the inept struggle over style and tone more than anything else about the show. Seth sees the needle he wants to thread, but he doesn't have the talent to thread it. Maybe no one does, but only Seth gets the blame for conceptualizing a show he is too dumb to execute.

SuperWatto likes this.
  10. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    The episode Cupid’s arrow was interesting if not over the top.
    Sexuallity explored.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Last week’s episode crushed it.

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    just watched the ep where they get stranded on a planet ruled by social media , it was very good , Black Mirror did a similar episode but its a topic that has only begun to be explored .

Jedi Merkurian and seeker_two like this.
  13. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I just watched that one. I'm getting caught up, this would be the episode where the Doc gets stuck on a planet.

seeker_two likes this.
  14. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    This Cupid's Dagger episode is hilarious. I only now just recognized Norm Macdonald and Rob Lowe.

seeker_two likes this.
  15. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    Cupid’s Dagger went beyond exposing the audience to gay relationships. It “explored” bisexual, poly and to a certain extent pansexuality. It did so in a light humorous manner instead of making the sexuality part the main issue behind storyline.
    I really like this about the Orville.

16. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    ok , must admit I'm enjoying this show more than I thought I would ( haven't like Mcfarlane's stuff much in the past ) , just saw the one where super-strength-girl has to confront her fears , really good , but do they have to pay any royalties to the creators of STNG ? I mean they use all the same storytelling grammar and even the music cues are pretty much the same !

17. Wolfpack5

Wolfpack5 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 31, 2017
    I like this show more than I thought it would, but I just wish it would take itself more seriously. The poor attempts at humor are what I don't like. The themes, narratives and plot are what I enjoy.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They're careful to avoid anything specific to Trek that could be copyrighted by CBS/Paramount(no transporters/beaming, it's not called a holodeck just a simulation room, etc). Beyond that, Braga is actually an executive producer on the show and they've used a couple Trek alumni as directors for episodes like Frakes. There's a few different composers working on the show but at least one of them worked on Trek before as well.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  19. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I love the Oreville way more then TNG or the first episode of the new Trek on CBS The Thing I like about The Oreville Is It Isn't all Laughs' It has some really serious moments and plot points with about 3 or 4 laugh out loud moments! I hope the show keeps producing and Is on the Air for many years to come!

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    This week's episode was really good. Fleshed out a couple characters well and gave us some stunning visuals (ones that I can't say I can recall ever having seen visualized before, so, points for some serious originality there). Only thing missing was a coda on Yaphit's subplot/grievances.

21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I honestly was expecting the Yaphet gets crushed into two dimensions joke and "I'm fine!" but they played it straight...

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    He’s amorphous but still exists in three dimensions and presumably with the same proteins that would be affected by the dimensional shifts.

Also, I’m just now realizing that LaMarr’s transition from navigator to chief engineer is clearly a nod to Geordi doing so, as played by LeVar...

Jedi Merkurian , dp4m and seeker_two like this.
  23. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Best episode of Trek I've seen in ages!

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh man, we already hit the season finale.

Some cool ideas implemented here once again, though the ending was heavy handed in a TOS/early-TNG-style resolution (not surprising, given that Braga directed).

25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

What's weird is... we were totally cynical about the whole thing.

1) That the Kelly worship and the takeover of the religion after the first attempt to course-correct would lead them to being gaining spaceflight and being anti-Kelly / anti-Union
    2) Then when Issac stayed behind, that he'd cause a schism and cause all-out warfare destroying the civilization.
    3) Then when everything happened, that Kelly would put in for a transfer rather than simply saying "we need to be adults."

Basically, we were expecting the worst of modern TV and they played it straight. Very refreshing!