main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Orville [Seth McFarlane's returning Sci-Fi Show]

Discussion in 'Community' started by RX_Sith, Sep 2, 2017.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I mean, if you favor TOS and all, that's perfectly fine. But the uniforms and acting weren't exactly the highlights of TOS either ;).

2. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    We will have to agree to disagree on that. TOS Is a classic that without obviously you don't have Trek.

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm not arguing that- I'm just saying that if you're discounting TNG for being cheesy, bad uniforms and acting (and, really, Stewart alone outclasses every TOS actor, except maybe Nimoy), it's difficult to ignore those issues in TOS where they are much more magnified.

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    This week’s episode can be summed up by my earlier post:

I still don’t think that is a bad thing- though having all but one episode (or 2 if you count the Krill episode) deal with relationship stories almost exclusively may not help the show in the long run if it turns away viewers before the pace picks up.

That said, front loading those stories instead of spreading them out may ultimately be a smart play. And if things don’t deviate much from this track in general, the show will definitely have distinguished itself from Trek by doing so.

Also, a lot of new flyby shots thiscepidide. Some more dynamic than the typical TNG/VOY ones, though a couple looked kinda rough.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  5. Jedi Master RussDog

Jedi Master RussDog Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 26, 1998
    This show just makes me happy.

Also, I want a scene with Clyden shaving Bortis's mustache in the tub.

6. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    The symphony scene was just amazing with the stars in the background. I really enjoyed this episode and how they tackled Issac's growth. Some funny moments as well and great to see Norm make an actual appearance. Gotta love Yaphat.

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'm assuming that was an actual symphony? The conductor looked familiar to me but I couldn't place it. But this whole storyline was brilliant. It ended as badly as I thought it would -- but I definitely didn't think it'd come back around after that...

8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    yah the ending actually had the characters grow and change while if this was TNG it would have reset button'd the whole relationship but now it's a thing. The orchestra looked great although seems a mite dangerous, don't you think?

Best line is Ed covering his gossping "But he's my father and he'll never be a weightlifter no matter how much he wants to!"

Bortis with the mustache was a bit like Peter with his beard on Family Guy but still a solid gag.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    [​IMG]

That last episode ("Identity") was amazing. DID NOT EXPECT THAT AT ALL...

And the music was the stealth-MVP...

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    So I guess that the Kaylon are now similar to the Borg.

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Except for destruction vs. assimilation.

Also...
    Two theories I've been seeing floating around online, assuming Issac isn't going to heel-face turn as we expect...

1) It's a simulation to see how the humans react, as a final test to determine if they should join the Union. This would be in line with Trek a la Kobayashi Maru or what the Dominion literally did to the entire DS9 crew to see how the Federation would react to the Dominion going into the Alpha Quadrant.

2) The Kaylons are still learning "pranks" and this is them pranking the Union. Which would be amazing...

The2ndQuest and Abadacus like this.
  12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    If they play it straight, they’ve kinda hinted at this.

My guess is the children end up being the key turning factor for Isaac.

The Kaylon being potential antagonists was hinted at earlier in the way they’ve portrayed certain moments with Isaac and how people react to them. Added a brief suggestion of ominous intent. The animosity I mentioned earlier in the thread.

The creepy reveal was well timed. It was right around the kid wandering that courtyard that I started to wonder about who built the Kaylon.

Also, I think this is the first time it’s been suggested, let alone shown, that the Orville can do atmo, no?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    MacFarlane has been waiting his whole life to do a BOBW-style cliffhanger.

BigAl6ft6 and Juliet316 like this.
  14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000

BigAl6ft6 and dp4m like this.
  15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Clearly if they go with the normal heel-face turn, it's gonna be the kids -- the whole "You don't understand, he doesn't have to play games with us, or eat dinner with us..." conversation basically Chekhov'd that whole thing. There's also the "Cutting Claire out of his life destroyed his programming thing" -- so if they try and overwrite him (i.e. blue eyes -> red eyes) his Issac persona may reassert...

I'm just thinking if they don't play it straight how it might go...

The2ndQuest likes this.
  16. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I wonder if what happened between the Kaylon and their creators will be fleshed out more. "You wouldn't understand" and Mercer saying he doesn't know what happened seem to be hinting at something we're not being told. Of course genocide would never be justifiable, but I'm thinking the Kaylon saw it as a proportional and necessary response to their creators trying to destroy them or deactivate them or whatever. The fact that Kaylon Prime specifically referred to genocide as a mark against humanity also seems to be a hint. Or maybe I'm just reading too much into things. (On a related note, if they just want to exterminate humanity, why not start with the Orville's crew? They only killed the people resisting.)

I think Isaac may have already changed his mind and is playing along waiting for an opportunity of some sort, but that could be because I see him as like Data in "Descent" and First Contact.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    dp4m likes this.
  17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I agree with the bulk of your post, especially the potential of Issac a la Data in First Contact, however I think the key line (again, if we're meant to take things said within the first half of a two-parter to have context for the second half) was "They seem to be stalling, but it's a binary decision -- the most basic decision a machine can make."

It wasn't proportional, it was the only choice. If the Kaylons made the decision that coexistence was impossible, it's the only logical choice.

I'm wondering if that's the role the kids might have (again, assuming they play it straight):
    Given that kids are basically guileless and can be taught, as well as Issac was studying them -- perhaps the Kaylons could join the Union and decide coexistence is possible, simply due to "they can be taught." There's no inherent relationship imbalance, as it's not like the Union members were the creators of the Kaylon -- it may not be the same scenario.

Conversely, if Macfarlane is also a fan of Babylon 5, it's not out of the question he goes the route of the Hyach species in that series -- who committed genocide against the Hyach-doh, and didn't realize there was a symbiotic relationship between those two species and the planet, which led to declining birth rates and eventual civilization die out if it wasn't corrected...

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It'd also be an interesting twist if, for some reason, the Kaylon are removed entirely somehow- possibly through their own actions. Presumably leaving Isaac as the last of his kind. But, in the bigger scale of things, that creates a potential power void in that part of the galaxy as wel as depriving the Union from an "easy out" in terms of the Krill.

19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    In re: Krill -- I don't think it's a spoiler to say that given the monkey-based species (or whomever) we saw -- I don't think the Krill are going to be the primary, or at least only, recurring, antagonist

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I agree- but the Union seems primarily occupied with the Krill as their main threat motivation towards expanding their ally powerbase against.

21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'm just wondering that we're basically moving more towards Trek-esque detente, perhaps...

Union = Federation
    Krill = Romulan
    New species = Klingon? (or would Moklans be Klingon, or Vulcan with their ridiculous inner workings?)

I mean, it's not 1:1 but it's fun to think about...

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Moklans strike me as more like TNG Klingons- you could almost slide Worf into most of Bortis's scenes with the dry humor delivery and such (just not so much the egg laying); he even has the kid now too.

The new species reminds me a bit more of the Hirogen in terms of brutal enemies, but with the aggression of the Rogue Borg. Actually, that almost makes them sound like Jem'Hadar.

dp4m likes this.
  23. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    The "new species" being the people the Krill were fighting, right? I thought they only attacked because they were provoked and don't pose an immediate threat to the Union.

24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Ed did shoot a few of them, as well as them being shoot-on-sight folks doesn't lead me to believe we're gonna see them in any pleasant capacity (if we see them again), but yes.

They were shooting at Ed, despite clearly having a Krill as a "prisoner"...

EDIT: T2Q,,, I almost put Jem'Hadar!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    The2ndQuest likes this.
  25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So, played straight -- and was a pretty good, non-cop out resolution!

EDIT: Also, this was gold...

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019