main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Oscar Race: Now Disc. Ranking the Oscar hosts of the past 20 years

Discussion in 'Community' started by Zaz, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I'd agree with everybody else that Albert Brooks should have been nominated for his performance in Drive. It was for me the most profound and moving and nuanced bad guy part I've seen in a movie in years, rising thousands of feet above a mediocre film, which may explain why he was snubbed; his performance was just too damn good for the movie it was in.

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Spot on article, though I may have been biased by the pervading anti-The Artist sentiment therein.:p

3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Tintin getting snubbed makes me angry. It wasn't a perfect movie, but it deserved a nomination. I'm thrilled to see Gary Oldman finally nominated and he deserves it for this part. My main "long shot" disappointment is that Mark Strong wasn't nommed for supporting for Tinker Tailer; he's the soul of the movie and it was a revelatory performance for me.

4. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Too much internal competition. Cumberbatch, Hardy, Dencik or Firth would have been worthy nominees as well, although personally I too would have gone for Strong.

5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Or John Hurt. Yeah, too much good acting in that movie (boy, I love having that complaint!).

6. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    Yeah, Hurt as well, although his screentime is limited. I also think that Simon McBurney's work is quietly amusing (I adore the cut from Bland talking about how important he and his ilk are to Lacon buttering his toast casually and hardly playing attention).

I probably would have given Kathy Burke a gig as well. Although she might have better opportunities in future installments.

Just happy that Oldman's in there. It is seriously the only Oscar nomination I care about, and he'll wind up losing to a sub-par George Clooney performance anyway.

7. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    I agree completely. The man has played everyone from Sid Vicious to Ludwig van Beethoven, and although he's practically
    a recluse, he always has plenty of time to sign autographs and make appearances for what is probably the largest cult
    following of any actor in Hollywood.

Well, maybe not a recluse, but he's not into the 'scene' at all.

It's also wonderful to see him back in the Oscar game after that disasterous fiasco surrounding IMMORTAL BELOVED back
    in 1994. Gary was drunk 24/7 for weeks at a time; he repeatedly failed to arrive for the talk shows and interviews that had
    been scheduled for him to hawk the film (and himself) - he did everything imaginable to put-off the Academy. As a result,
    many of the critics, and the Academy, slammed the door on him.

Absolutely fantastic to see him in such great form today.

8. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    No Supporting Actor noms for Tinker, Tailor? OUTRAGE.

Glad to see Nolte got the nod for Warrior, though.

But, still. OUTRAGE.

9. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
  10. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Again, I'm very much in agreement about Albert Brooks for Best Supporting Actor.

11. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I agree with most of those now that I've gotten around to seeing Drive.

And Tintin... man, don't even get me started. It's the fact that Puss in Boots got a nom that really makes it sting.

12. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    The Oscars this year feel like a total joke, and Tintin being passed up in favour of Puss in Boots is rubbing salt in the wound.

13. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    Fassbender for Best Actor: Check.

Drive for BP: Check.

The Adventures of Tintin for Best Animated Feature: Check.

Colman for Best Actress: Triple check. That performance blows away perhaps 90% of Best Actress nominees over the past decade.

Swinton for Best Actress: Fair enough, even if I wasn't completely wild about the film.

Theron for Best Actress: Eh... perhaps. Better than Streep and Close, anyway.

Brooks for Best Supporting Actor: An insane oversight.

Menken for Best Song: Who the hell cares about this category? And he's already got 8 statuettes.

The Skin I Live In for Best Foreign Film: Yep, and should have been in Best Picture to boot.

Dunst for Best Actress: Nah. Gainsbourg if you absolutely had to nominate someone from Melancholia, but if they're going to overlook something like Bjork for Dancer in the Dark, then hell no to Dunst.

Spielberg for Best Director: Yep. Instead they've gone for lazy work from Payne, and nice but fairly stock work from Allen. I'm fine with Scorsese's and Malick's inclusion, and can't speak for Hazanavicius, but I would most certainly have had Spielberg and Tomas Alfredson in there.

Speaking of which, why Empire, a British mag, isn't banging on about the numerous Tinker Tailor exclusions is beyond me. Still, it's a list of "fair enough" complaints, but "Injustices"? I'd save words like that for something that actually matters.

14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Probably because of all of the BAFTAs it's up for would be my guess.

15. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    Plenty of the stuff they're whining about got BAFTA nominations. Drive in particular got a very strong showing.

16. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  17. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  18. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    What NOT to do when you accept your Oscar

Do: Wear a dress entirely made of gold credit cards.

Don't: Carry on like you've just cured cancer (looking at you, Halle Berry)

Don't: Talk too much

Don't: Cry too much if you're a female; in a male, it's touching.

19. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    "Thank you."

20. Gonk

Gonk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 1998
    I've only seen ONE person ever do that at any awards show. It was that rapper Coolio, some time back.

With that one exception though, I've never seen anyone accept an award just saying those two simple words and nothing else.

21. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Hitchcock got some award--not an Oscar, he never won one--and that's what he said.

22. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    I believe William Holden did essentially the same thing.

23. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Don't: Thank your agent. It sounds ridiculous, and they all do it.

24. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    It was Hitchcock's Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award acceptance speech. While it's not an Oscar statuette, it is one of the Academy Awards given out on Oscar night, and is generally considered an honorary Oscar. Also, he said "Thank you - very much indeed."

William Holden said "Thank you" when he won for Stalag 17. He was forced to cut his speech short because the program was running long; he later took out an ad to thank everyone he had wanted to thank on Oscar night.

25. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Rumour has it that he said 'contemptuously'--that may be subjective. Certainly keeping it succinct might be taken as criticism.