main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The OTP & Pairing Thread ♡ | OTP Challenge #17: Battle Scars and Bloodstone

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Adalia-Durron , Sep 28, 2020.

1. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Title: Battle Scars and Bloodstone

Author: Adalia-Durron
    Timeframe: Beyond-Ledgends
    Characters: Adalia Tehanis/Kyp Durron - friends
    Summary: After yet another fight over who should go where to meet up, Adalia gives up, she can't keep chasing him.
    Song: Two songs, Battle Scars and Bloodstone both by Guy Sebastian (Australian Artist)

“You’re not getting it Kyp, it’s not working!” The image of Adalia Tehanis flickered slightly, the distance from her location was vast. “We’re just too far apart. I’ve been there how many times? You’ve been here once. I can’t do this anymore, the odd hours, the distance.” The image bit its lip and turned away as if to attempt to stave off deeper emotions before turning back. “I just can’t, it’s killing me. All give an no take. I just can’t…” her voice trailed off.

“You’re giving up?” He asked. He hid his own emotions as that was how he was trained; his voice was cool and calm. “Just like that?” His expression was one of annoyance but internally a whirl of painful feelings were circling as he felt a potential future slip through his fingers.

She shook her head. “Its 3.43 am Kyp. We’ve been at this for too long. I’m exhausted and have to be up in 2 hours for patrol. I’ve adapted to your time schedule and it’s killing me. You cancel calls, or don’t turn up, you never come here for me, you’re harder to reach with every passing month. Giving up? Maybe. I just know I’m tired of this, of the fighting over when we will see each other again. It wounds me every time, it cuts deep and I have scars……” she looked down before wiping a tear from her right eye and returning to gaze at him. “Battle scars worse than the Vong war. I have to draw a line before you kill me.” She almost whimpered. “I’m sorry…..I love you but I just can’t keep giving anymore.” She reached forward and a mere second later her image disappeared.

Kyp stared at the empty space where her image had been. He was a Jedi Master, his life was complicated, she knew this. What she wanted was impossible. One of them had to give up their career to make it happen and he knew he couldn’t and she wouldn’t. He sat back and put his hands over his face hiding himself behind them as he digested what had just happened. It’d only been 8 months, but she’d just ended it and he knew in his heart he wasn’t ready for it, them to be over. Her tears told her she wasn’t ready either. She was right, this was all on him, he’d been selfish for some time, and now looking back he was seeing just how much. The implication being that his career was more important than her and his life took precedence. That was a lie and he knew it and yet he’d allowed it to happen.

Getting up and walking to the massive transparistel viewing window he stared at the early evening Coruscant sky as various vehicles moved through the atmosphere, their tiny lights guiding their way. He was dying inside and yet somehow life went on. That was the way of the Force after all. How did he let this happen? She had crashed into his life and woken him up, showed him something he’d never thought he’d ever feel or see. She loved him, without question, without judgement and he pushed her to the bottom of his list of priorities. She became the ‘thing’ he fitted in between everything else and slowly she slipped down the list as he’d grown accustomed to her reliability. She was always there when he called, it didn’t matter if she was sleeping or out patrolling. She’d have him patched through and never failed to take the call. He realised that was a one-way street. For their entire relationship she’d be available and he’d not been. Always a meeting, a briefing, a mission. There was always a reason for him to not take her calls, and worse to not to make the journey to the Outer Rim. Outside the sun was gone and the city planet was alive with light and movement.

She was right. He was selfish.

As far as he could see, he had two choices. Let her go, let it all go and focus on his life as a Jedi Master on the High Council. Or fight. Turn this all around and change the way he’d been living; change the way he saw their relationship and change his attitude toward her. If he was serious with himself he knew what he had to do.

Turning around he returned to the Com-station and placed a call. An image appeared moments later.

“Kyp? Something wrong?” Luke Skywalker questioned.

“Yes….and no. Look, I’m heading out tonight, won’t be back for a while.”

“Out? Where’s out?” Luke was clearly confused.

“Off world out. There’s something that I have to do.”

“Wait. We’re in the middle of a very sensitive negotiation with the Senators, you can’t just walk away from that. No, you can’t go.”

“You going to stop me?” Kyp asked, a touch of menace in his tone. At that moment a second figure appeared beside Luke.

“What’s so important?” Mara asked seriously.

They all knew about Adalia, they’d all met her. “I’m about to lose Adalia.” Kyp stated simply. “And I’m not ready or willing to. Not now…..” he paused, “Not ever really.”

“Lose her?” Mara asked. “Explain.”

“It’s complicated.” Kyp confessed not wanting to go into it too deeply.

Mara regarded him as Luke gave a sage nod. “Ok, I’m not happy about it but I will cite personal reasons.” He sat forward slightly and narrowed his blue eyes. “Don’t let her go, she’s a keeper.” Behind him Mara nodded.

“He’s right. I like her, reminds me of….someone.” She shot him a knowing smile. “Why are you still sitting there?” She added. “Move out!”

Kyp smirked at her comment on Adalia reminding Mara of someone, it was obvious to most it was herself she spoke of. “Leaving now Mara. I only hope I’m not too late.”

-========================

Adalia gazed into the reflector, her eyes were red and puffy, but that’s what happens when you don’t get any sleep and cry for hours on end. She felt drained, empty and lost. She knew what she’d done was the right thing for her own sanity but his lack of any show of emotion had broken her. He didn’t care. It’d been four days and nothing, not a word.

She was grateful no one had said anything to her about her appearance, not a word about her lack of ability to do her job well or to even socialize on a basic level.

Reaching into the sink the wrung out the cloth in the cold water before pressing it to her face. It was a wasted task but she’d taken to doing it when she woke like this and that’d been the four days. She was hurt, wounded, like she’d told him, she had battle scars that she now felt would never heal. Her emotional wounds were laid out in an open like wound and continued to ooze pain daily. She wanted to scream, to hit something, hurt someone else. For twenty years she’d managed to keep her heart protected, safe and hidden from anyone who’d even come close. No one had come close; she’d spent a good deal of time being what could only be described as ‘prickly’ to avoid the risk. Yet here she was, he’d gotten past her defences, wormed his way under her skin, into her heart and somehow into her bed. Dropping the cloth back into the water she sighed as the tears welled again. When would this stop? She’d cried less when her parents died, or had she? She couldn’t remember anymore. Closing her eyes, she allowed the new rogue tears to fall, maybe today was the day to call in sick like Adam had suggested. The sound of a knock at her door caused her to leave the refresher and as she opened the door, she came face to face with the man she’d only just thought of.

“It’s ok Adam, calling off today, I just can’t.” She said quietly.

Adam shook his head. “Not what I’m here for.” He glanced side ways and flicked his head. Two seconds later Commander Jake Murphy and Lt Commander Rooty Aran appeared dragging a familiar man between them. Behind the group Commander Jay Sarkin stood holding a blaster to the man.

“OK, you fix this or we take action. Clear?” Jay ordered as Jake and Rooty pushed their victim forward.

Adalia stepped back in shock as the man fell toward her and behind him Adam pulled the door closed. She swallowed hard as she wiped a rogue tear and composed herself.

“What are you doing here?” She asked him cooly.

Kyp straightened up and turned to the closed door. “That was so unnecessary, could have wiped them…..” He stopped knowing it was irrelevant as he turned back to her. “I’m here to …..fix this.”

She was done and duly shook her head. “I’m done, you wasted a trip. Shame it took you this long to come back here.” She turned away. “Please leave.”

“No?” He approached her and reached for her arm.

She felt his approach and pulled away. “Just go. You don’t have what I need, you don’t want what I want and you certainly don’t have what it takes to make this work.” She told him in no uncertain terms.

“Let me say what I need to say, I’ve come all this way, just hear me out?” Kyp almost pleaded. She said nothing, she didn’t even turn so he pushed on. “First, you’re right. I’m selfish, I don’t give much if anything to anyone. I thought I was giving to you but I saw it, I wasn’t. I managed to put you on my list, but not in the right place. Should have been at the top and I’m sorry, Kriff knows I’m sorry.” He paused. “I was wrong, so very wrong, and I know I wasn’t giving enough. Like a stone, cold and giving nothing that was needed. But I’m here to ask for a second chance so I can show you, I can and will give you more. You need to trust me once more, let me ….”

Adalia listened, her tears fell silently as she wanted to give him the second chance, but she didn’t want to hurt again like this. She didn’t want to go through this a second time. She didn’t face him. “What will change? Nothing. I can’t.” She almost whispered. “Please go.”

He was losing so stepped closer and placed his hands on her forearms, she shrugged in a weak attempt to shake him off. “Like I said, stone cold, I need you to draw what’s inside out, it’s all in there but you’re the only one who can reach it. Squeeze this stone, draw blood.”

His tone was so gentle and vulnerable. Adalia lowered her gaze and tried to breathe through her tears. Did she take this one last chance? Did she risk her heart this last time? She slowly turned to him and allowed herself to gently fall into his embrace. “Last chance.” She muttered, “If I don’t draw blood, I’m done.”

His heart beat powerfully as he wrapped her in his arms. “Deal.”

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Fantastic from both sides and the exchange with Luke and Mara--priceless! :) :D An excellent response to the OTP challenge.

3. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Kahara and WarmNyota_SweetAyesha like this.
  4. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Great chapter :)
    Mara saying Adalia reminds her of someone, is sge refering to herself or thinking back to Amber and their brief contact at that wedding on Naboo?

Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  5. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    That was not even contact, it was 'saw something' and only a glimpse! Doubt it was Amber at all.

Kahara, Findswoman and Mira Grau like this.
  6. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    That was so sweet and I loved the apology/confession in the last part. Also Guy Sebastian = good choice!

7. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Wonderful contribution to the challenge—and wonderful to meet your username namesake, as I think this is the first time I have read about her! Wow, I have to say, Kyp is a real man for apologizing to Adalia at the end there and owning up to the ways he had missed the mark in their relationship by not making the time for her that she had made for him. And I love that he had support in his cause from no less than Luke and Mara—they, more than most, know about the time it takes to make a relationship right!And they’re right, she is a real catch and one that Kyp shouldn’t “let get away”!

Incidentally, I wasn’t able to see the “Battle Scars” video, because I got the error “The uploader has not made this video available in your country,” but I gave “Bloodstone” a listen and enjoyed it very much. :)

Thanks so much for sharing this story with us and with the challenge—very well done! =D=

Kahara and WarmNyota_SweetAyesha like this.
  8. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Sorry you couldn't get 'Battlescars' I do love this song....

Thank you for your feedback both @Kit' and @Findswoman - I am sorry I took so long to take a look back but you know how RL can Mod stuff can be ;) I really appreciate your kind words, I have so many stories in my head but I try to keep them there most the time. I thank you both for your time [face_love]

This is live at the Australian Music Industry Awards...

9. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    First off, I've never heard those songs before, but I really like both of them!

And this is such a lovely fic to go with them. I love Kyp realizing that he's taken Adalia for granted and hasn't been there for her, and his determination to fix things. Love the appearance from Luke and Mara too!

Awww. I felt so sad for Adalia here. Love when Kyp showed up, though, and her decision to trust him and give him another chance! [face_love]

Great job on this. =D=

10. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    I too wasn't familiar with these songs before this story, but they're beautiful! And very fitting for this turning point in Kyp and Adalia's relationship.

You know, say what you will about Kyp being a hard headed, stubborn sort, but I appreciate how he reflected on what Adalia said, realized where he'd gone wrong, and then went full speed ahead to fix what needs fixing. Putting all of that determination and confidence to good use.

Ha! I loved this. So great to see a dash of Luke and Mara here.

With Kyp and Adalia giving this one last chance, I wish them only happiness from here on out. If they put their all in, they can make it work. [face_love]

Thanks for sharing this beautiful response to the challenge with us! =D=

Kahara and Adalia-Durron like this.
  11. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Thank you both @Mira_Jade and @amidalachick for reading my little story, it means so much to me. Adalia is damaged a little due to the Rebellion in her childhood and losing her parents then and her first love being a trainwreck. She protects herself the only way she knows how. I see him as needing someone who calls it as she sees it, someone who says 'hey, you're being an ass.' and as I base Adalia on myself, heaven knows I'm that person. :p It was my 30th anniversary yesterday and my RL husband put it perfectly...

"You wear your heart on your sleeve and you are often brutally honest but I think everyone knows you have a heart of gold."

That's what he said on Facebook yesterday, among other things, but he's right, if he's being an ass, I tell him so. :p Sometimes people get lost in their lives and forget the importance of putting that one person who is always there for them at the top of their list, they get into a comfort zone where they 'just know' the other person will be there, and that's when the other person notices they aren't a priority anymore. I know cause my husband and I got there, around 20 years ago, and even now I have to remind him from time to time. Marriage is hard work, and sure it gets comfortable eventually, even boring, but if you have your best friend under it all, you'll get through. Listen to me talking like some wise old woman......................oh wait.............I am. :p

On a side note, Guy won Australian Idol here and has gone from strength to strength. When asked what he'd do if he won he said he'd marry his childhood sweet heart, and he did. He's represented us at Eurovision and he's very well known here. I saw him two years ago in Concert and was amazed how damn good he was. He writes all his own stuff and was a humble singing teacher before all this. He's the real deal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    And now his younger brother Chris won 'The Voice' here so apparently it's genetic!! Guy was a judge and was blown away when he recognised the voice he was hearing.