main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Outer Rim: A Minor Character Index and Discussion NOW: Minor bad guys

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by kateydidnt, Sep 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kateydidnt

kateydidnt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    If you PM me the info I'll link it in the index.

2. kateydidnt

Nov 11, 2004
    New discussion topic!

Which minor character do you like least? Why?

3. TheCrazyRodian

TheCrazyRodian Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2004
    ::Sneaks in first part of response before the topic change::

Favorite minor character(s): Thuku and Neesh, the two Rodians who wanted Greedo dead back in the Mos Eisley Cantina. Why? It's a long story.

Least favorite: gotta go with Xixor. Sorry for anyone who's a fan--he just didn't cae bien with me.

4. kateydidnt

Nov 11, 2004
    My least favorite minor characters are Mas Ammedda and Sate pestage and any others who knew what Palpatine was and went along with it.

5. AngelQueen

AngelQueen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2001
    Least favorite minor character... oh how to choose? I have a couple that I utterly cannot stand:

Xizor - He who attempts to interfere with the classic Star Wars romance is someone who got what he deserves. I guess Darth Daddy Dearest preferred that the Smuggler date his daughter rather than the Prince of the Black Sun. Plus, the guy was just irritating.

Callista - Ah, the lady I have hated for years. The Screeching Harpy, I call her. She whinged far too much, angsting over how she could no longer touch the Force except for the dark side. I mean, is it truly such a terrible thing? And then her rather abrupt departure sent Luke off into a bout of irritating depression and sighing over his lost love. Thank the Force for the fact that Mara Jade whipped him back into shape and broke him of weeping over such a selfish woman.

AQ

6. kateydidnt

Nov 11, 2004
    Upping this and asking this week for you to refer ]Mon Mothma stories to the index!

Know any good stories about the once Senator and then leader of the Rebellion? Tell me where they are!

7. kateydidnt

Nov 11, 2004
    Thanks Lola64 for PMing me your story info!

Canon does not have a whole lot of information on Mon Mothma. We know she was part of the group of Senators who wanted to pressure Palpatine into relinquishing some of his power. (Oh how I wish those deleted scenes had been included in ROTS and with more added!) Then she became the leader of the rebellion. How did that transition happen? When did she leave the senate and go underground?

As well there are many varying views on Mon Mothma--some fics have her as corrupt and power hungary as Palpatine, others have her much like Leia-fighting an almost hopeless battle simply for her ideals.

What are your thoughts on Mon Mothma?

8. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    She had a nice outfit on at the Rebel briefing in ROTJ. Very Grecian.

9. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    Then she became the leader of the rebellion. How did that transition happen? When did she leave the senate and go underground?

My original trilogy knowledge is only from on screen so being that I hadn't read the novels do not know if it states it anywhere. But if it didn't I'd have to say she became leader during ESB.

IMO Bail Organa was the one to organize a revolt against the Emperor and his forces. After he was killed on Alderaan I believe it was Jan Dodonna who took the temporary leadership role.

When he was captured after the destruction of the Death Star (from the Xwing series, Corran's accounting from Lusankya) Mon Mothma stepped up along with Garm BelIblis. When their little scuffle took place, and he took his forces and left, she became the sole leader.

As for Mon Mothma going underground I would have to say it was after the Tantive IV was captured, the Senate was dissolved, and Alderaan destroyed. She, like others, must have assumed their identities were discovered and fled to hideaways established for such a use.

As well there are many varying views on Mon Mothma--some fics have her as corrupt and power hungary as Palpatine, others have her much like Leia-fighting an almost hopeless battle simply for her ideals.

What are your thoughts on Mon Mothma?

I like the Mon Mothma from the EU books. She's a fighter, like Leia and a compassionate intelligent woman. Based on BelIblis' description of his 'problem' with her during the rebellion, I can see a little power hunger. But heck, she's human and that happens. But it was brief so it wasn't that bad anyway.

I enjoyed her close friendship with Admiral Ackbar, another one of my favorite EU characters.

10. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    As much as I like Mon Mothma, I was very turned off her in Dark Forces. She was horrible with Kyle Katarn! As if before every meeting with him, she would ingest evil pills and then try to find ways to kill Kyle, who is one of the greatest heros of the Rebellion. I mean, granted Kyle went to Carida, but he never actually served with the Empire, and he was the guy who rescued Madine, who did serve the Empire. And then he also stole the Death Star plans. So what was up with her treatment of him? I would think that she should have been very grateful to him.

Also, I didn't like her in Courtship of Princess Leia.

I think Mon Mothma was best in TTT, actually. In JAT, she was alright.

11. DreamingIce

DreamingIce Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 8, 2005
    I have to admit, the only time that I've read Mon Mothma was in TTT, and I thought she was great in that, alibet a little too puchy for my taste. As I haven't read JAT, or CoPL, I don't really know, although, what I heard about her from CoPL sucked.

Does anyone know if she survived the Vong war? She was still alive at the start of it wasn't she? Cause in Onslaught one of the Senators tell Leia that 'she should fade from the spotlight, as Mon Mothma has done' which suggests she was alive at the time.

~Misha

12. kateydidnt

Nov 11, 2004
    I have not read any of the books dealing with Mon Mothma after ROTJ and so I base my views of her on nothing but the movies and other people's fanfics. (Of course my absolute favorite interpretation of Mon is Shaindl's "Turning into Myself"...)
    Unfortunately you don't get a lot of Mon in the movies...Like I said I wish there had been more in ROTS about the beginnings of the Rebellion.

13. Lola64

Mar 10, 2005
    EDIT: Sorry. I had my facts mixed up.

Mon Mothma never saw the Vong War. She died peacefully in her sleep after the treaty between the Imperial Remnant and the New Republic.

She was poisoned, by the guy from Carida but after finally being cured she stayed in retirement.

As for CoPL. I actually liked that book. I thought Mon Mothma was good as far as guiding (or should I say pushing) Leia towards a choice she wanted. I'm thinking that she saw Leia as a protoge, a younger version of herself and mistakenly expected her to make the same sacrifices she would have made.

She's no MarySue that MM. She had her faults.

As for Dark Forces, haven't experienced it. I'm not really a game player, though I have Battlefront, Battleground and Kotor. I guess I wanted just to have them around in case the itch to play arrived.

14. kateydidnt

Nov 11, 2004
    I cannot believe I forgot to answer my own question about favorite minor character:

Wrenga Jixton!
    Come on, he saved Vader's life and then became his personal agent. I have not read any of the canon works with him in it but I love almost any fic that he appears in!

15. Lola64

Mar 10, 2005
    My favorite minor character would have to be Aves. One of Talon Karrde's people. I actually would pick all his people if I could. They're smart, gutsy, and funny.

16. kateydidnt

Nov 11, 2004
    Does anyone know how old Mon Mothma is supposed to be in relation to other characters?

17. Lola64

Mar 10, 2005
    According to the databank at starwars.com it doesn't really say. Just says that she was, at that time, the youngest Senator.

But I will tell you that I just read the EU page on Mon Mothma and was amazed to discover more about her.

These are a few of the things I never new:

In a series of meetings at Cantham House, Organa and Mothma devised and developed a plan for the Rebel Alliance. While Organa helped secretly supply the Alliance, he still played the role of political opponent to Mon Mothma. When the Emperor decided to arrest Mothma, Organa informed her, and she managed to escape just minutes before the Imperial Security Bureau arrived.

Mothma's life was threatened not only by Imperial agents, but by overly-suspicious resistance groups as well.

Critics, such as former Corellian senator Garm Bel Iblis, often point out that Mothma was assuming dictatorial powers on the level of her enemy Palpatine. Mothma realized that a separate, impartial authority was needed to make the big decisions of the Alliance, and she was that person. Mothma instated a policy in that every two years members of the Alliance would vote on her continued command. She was never challenged in all the years of Rebellion.

Once the Alliance was truly formed, Mothma wrote the "Declaration of Rebellion." This document, personally addressed to Palpatine, indicted the Emperor on a number of crimes. The declaration served to undo the damage Imperial propaganda had done, painting the Rebels as terrorists. As a result of the declaration, many worlds decided to ally themselves with the Rebellion. During the Galactic Civil War, Mon Mothma served as Chief-of-State of the Alliance Civil Government, as well as Commander-in-Chief of the Alliance Military. At this time, Mon Mothma was number one on the Empire's Most Wanted List.

I just have to say that I am now wow'd by one of our Minor Characters. I'd definitely like to see some fics maybe on those private meetings or her on the run.

18. kateydidnt

Nov 11, 2004
    Does anyone know where some good ones like that are? I would love to read some like that too. (I have a bit too much on my plate right now to try and write it!)

19. kateydidnt

Nov 11, 2004
    Last week we took a little look at Mon Mothma, so this week we have someone else from the other end of the spectrum:

Grand Moff Wilhuff Tarkin
    I know he is featured somewhat in the pre-ROTS stuff but I haven't looked much into it. Fanfics usually depict him as very ambitious and wanting to control the Empire himself. How true is this? If it is true why would the Emperor allow him to control the Death Star?
    Tarkin I think is a very interesting character--very poised and in control of himself, with a very gentlemanly bearing, but evil to the core. Yet there is arrogance too-he truly believed the Death Star was invulnerable.
    What do you think of Tarkin?
    Do you despise his foul stench?
    What would have happened had he left the Death Star when he was informaed that the Rebellion might actually succeed in destroying the station?

20. Lola64

Mar 10, 2005
    Well here is an area that is a bit touchy for me. During the RotS we see him here at the end, gazing at the construction of the death star. Which was a problem for me because I doubted it took more than 15 years to build it. And it's not put into action until Leia's like 19? I just don't see that timeline making sense.

Secondly the EU expands on co-creator of the Death Star, Qui Xux. Not a grasshopper like the Geonosians, she supposedly was picked out by Tarkin and held at an Imperial creative installation in the Maw outside of Kessel. Where she also was part creator of the Sun Crusher.

During Attack of the Clones I had a fit when those insects showed the display of the Death Star. How they got it, I didn't know. But if it was GL's intention to have them create it, going against what the books already had written, I would have been really ticked off. I'm just saying.

Anyway, back to Tarkin:

If he survived, it would be my guess he would go back immediately to the Maw Installation to get yet another superweapon (toy) to use against the Rebellion.

As for his stench? Yes it was probably fouler than one could imagine. Talk about giant creeps. I don't think I could ever picture him as anything other than a dark emotionless tyrant. Just my opinion.

As far as fics goes. I'd like to see one with his supposed personal relationship with Admiral Daala. She implied that the two were sleeping together (Ewwww!)

Or for EU, one where he hand picks Qui Xux and the personal training she has to endure to survive.

Yes, if I ever get my own stuff updated or completed I might take a crack at one of these two.

21. TheCrazyRodian

TheCrazyRodian Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2004
    I heard that the actor who played Tarkin was wearing slippers for part of the filming of the scene where Alderaan goes bye-bye. If not for that fact, I would despise the character entirely. He's about as twisted as you can get.

22. palpyisgod2

palpyisgod2 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 7, 2005
    HAH! slippers! *giggles uncontrollably*

23. kateydidnt

Nov 11, 2004
    Now we focus on Owen Lars!

Minor character with alot of influence!

How much was Luke influenced by his Uncle? What was the relationship between them? What did Owen think of his step-brother in AOTC? What was Owen's relationship with Shmi?

Owen is often depicted as a gruff man, unwilling to let Luke into his heart. Do you agree with this characterization?

What are your thoughts on the man who raised Luke Skywalker to be a farmer?

24. SpiritofEowyn

SpiritofEowyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    I've always been curious how much Owen and his wife knew about Anakin and what he'd done. Did they think he was dead too?

I think Owen cared about Luke a lot and was trying to keep him from danger. He told his wife in ANH when she said that Luke had too much of his father in him to be a farmer, that "That's what I'm afraid of."
    Owen probably thought living on Tattooine would keep him safe. Maybe he was more concerned because his mom and Shmi were killed by tuskens. His 'controling' behavior is an attempt to protect his 'son' as well as a manifestation of his fear that if you go off planet you'll never come back.

Just some thoughts. Or maybe he has Ashburgers(sp) syndrome and isn't aware of how he's being perceived.

25. kateydidnt

Nov 11, 2004
    Personally, I believe that Owen knew the whole story of what happened to Anakin-that is the only explanation I can think of for how protective he was of Luke--Owen Lars isn't one to give in to fear (in my opinion) but knowing the whole truth of his step-brother's fate would make him appropriately cautious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.