main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Panther's Cub - AU - Complete (Ch 76 8/19/06)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by PaddyJuan, Feb 18, 2003.

1. Lurkalidth

Lurkalidth Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 5, 2003
    Yay! Thank heavens (thank the Frogmeister ;)) that you posted this chapter. I've really enjoyed this fic over the years, so it's like an early Christmas to see a new chapter. Wonderful interpersonal stuff, as always. :D

2. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Ooh, now Anakin and Ben are together, almost. I'm glad they found each other, and I have a feeling their road together will be better than in the movies since Ben understands what it's like to be a slave and their situations are so similar. I love how Ben describes his Master as like a mom. [face_love] Will the Jedi ever figure out Ben used to be Obi-Wan? :confused: And I kinda wonder what the Sith have been doing...though I'm not sure I really want to know. [face_worried]
    Looking forward to Ben on Tatooine! :)

3. PaddyJuan

PaddyJuan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Hi everyone!

Thanks for all the wonderful notes.

And here is the next chapter!

4. PaddyJuan

Nov 15, 2002
    Chapter 73:

Three months later, Adi sat in a dingy little diner, eating something better left unidentified, but surprisingly tasty. It was rich, creamy, and succulent. A slight tendency to wiggle off the plate was best ignored. A huge scaly form dropped heavily onto the bench across from her.

?Hello little Master!? a loud voice boomed. Four arms waved excitedly in the air and bulging eyes goggled at her as the Besalisk owner beamed happily with his good news. Pantera and her Cub had rescued him and helped him turn from his smuggling to become the owner of this diner. They always ate free when they visited.

Of course, Ben had been known to mutter under his breath that there were worse things in the galaxy than his Master?s cooking and he had now met them. But Dex had accepted the compliment he knew was intended, since the boy continued to inhale everything put in front of him despite the dubious look on his face. Then again, Adi thought with fond reminiscence, Ben didn?t turn down much food, or anything that passed for food, during his growing stages. The young Knight brought back recipes for his friend from the far corners of the galaxy, much to Dex?s delight.

?I have heard from some old friends that a certain Panther?s Cub wishes for his Master to join him, bringing with her their young friend for a visit to his sandy home.?

Adi set her kaffe down and raised an elegant brow. ?Is that so? Three months and not a word, and now he wants a visit?? The elegant tones were politely disbelieving, the steel in her eyes demanded answers.

Dex squirmed slightly, ?Well, there have been the occasional rumors of a slave uprising and such not off in that direction, but he said not to bother you with minor details.? Oh, this just was not going to go over well. His eyes tried to look in different directions at the same time.

Pantera gleamed briefly out of those dark eyes beneath the white braids, promising retribution for a certain wayward young Knight. Let them leave the nest and they get these most ridiculous ideas about independence. ?Did he now? And what minor details might those be??

Dex sighed, a mournful expression that sat oddly on his amphibious face. He knew better. He really did. Now why had he agreed not to tell her everything when they all knew she was going to get the information out of him anyway? He shrugged and wished his young friend luck as he proceeded to catch her up on all of the information he had received. ?Never get between a Panther and her Cub,? he thought ruefully as her face tightened and her hands flexed as if testing claws.

A few days later, a small unmarked ship landed quietly in Mos Espo. Asteroid pitted and blaster scarred, it fit in perfectly with the others around it. Two figures, heavily bundled in dark concealing robes, departed and met the waiting being, a small R2 droid, who led them along a twisting route until they were certain they were not followed, then to a doorway set deep in the insulating walls.

The smaller figure took two steps and launched himself into the arms of a spare dark-haired woman. ?MOM!? Tears filled the woman?s eyes as she held the child she had thought she would never be allowed to see again.

Adi pulled back her hood, looking around the room. Someone was missing. ?Where is the man who sent for us? My Pad?, the Knight?? She could feel Ben nearby, but his Force signature was muffled, as if he were asleep. ?That way.? She could feel the pull of his presence to the right. Once a Master, always a Master.

Shmi straightened, still holding her son tightly. She had studied the Jedi carefully as she could after her son left with them. She recognized the robe of a Master, and the worry of a mother in this woman. ?He?s in the next room.? She nodded at the door, holding Anakin back as he tried to dash off to see his friend. ?No Ani. Let her go first.?

Adi did not like the sound of that at all. She moved quickly into the room, her sharp eyes immediately finding the unconscious and

5. Trigger292

Trigger292 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 26, 2002
    I started reading this amazing story long ago (when it was pretty new), and then somehow forgot about it, only to rediscover it earlier this week. It seems I finished my marathon reading just in time to be rewarded with yet another amazing chapter. Truly great work. :)

6. shanobi

shanobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    Absolutely amazing! I see you are a fan of Susan Anthony as well :)

Your characterizations are done so well. You have an amazing gift to cut to the chase with so few words - but have each swimming with delicious details.

I loved the reference to the old shoulder wound and now am so thankful for Xan for making Obi work past that and not have it as a weakness.

I find myself popping over here more and more to see if you've posted. I'm so glad you are continuing with this. Thank you so much.

--shan

7. PaddyJuan

Nov 15, 2002
    I love Lady Gossamer's works. She is a wonderful writer. I asked her a long time ago if I could use her character name in this story and she was nice enough to let me.

Thanks for the notes!

....._
    ((O.O))_.....
    ~~~=====~~~

8. ObiKajanee

ObiKajanee Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 25, 2003
    Poor, brave Ben. You haven't lost any of your narrative skill, Froggie. Thank you for continuing the story.

9. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Brava, Froggy. Brava!

You really made my weekend with this post :)

10. Jedi_Tigris

Mar 7, 2005
    Nice to see Dex, and is that Artoo? :D Love all the descriptions, and Ben's fight with Maul was wonderfully written. I'm glad Ben got all that training and fixed that shoulder problem. Maul was really creepy, taunting Ben that way. [face_plain] Yay for Anakin, he's sure he wants to be a Jedi, even after being reunited with Shmi. :) I bet he'll help Ben heal. Great update!

11. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

Oooh every one is poping in from the Movies
    and Ben has seen something from his past.

Will he remember when he wakes.

This is a great story.[face_dancing]

Thank goodness that Adi Gallia is his Master
    she will never let the dark take him... I hope

12. Laine_Snowtrekker

Laine_Snowtrekker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 8, 2003
    I didn't know that you had returned!

Great posts! I am so glad that Anakin and Ben have met--it was destined, even though no one has figured out that Ben is Obi-Wan!

Can't wait for the next post.

13. Flashbacca

Flashbacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    WOOHOOO the Froggy is back - off and on

THANKS for the posts. I enjoyed catching up on this story a bunch.

Hope DRL lets you loose enough to post again

14. benknobi1

benknobi1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2002
    Is he? :D

15. Alikhar

Alikhar Jedi Master

Aug 6, 2004
    Here in Chile, is December 30, one day to the end of the year.

So, i like to say HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paddy, i am been away long time, but is a surprise find a new chapter, specially with Maul, Anakin's mother.

I am waiting your next part.

Gambatte!!!

16. PaddyJuan

Nov 15, 2002
    Thank you all for your support and comments. I hope that everyone has a safe and happy upcoming year!

Here is another chapter. We are almost at the conclusion. Just a few more chapters to go.

Enjoy!!!

>_((O.O))_<

17. PaddyJuan

Nov 15, 2002
    Chapter 74:

The Room of a Thousand Fountains was not actually a room. Unless you defined ?room? as a space enclosed with walls and a ceiling. Then of course, all of Coruscant could be called rooms considering the Force-fields that were the only thing holding in any atmosphere at all. One of the most famous structures in the entire city planet, the fountains of the Jedi Temple resided in a space larger than most towns on other planets. It would more properly be termed a gardens or park. Vast fountains of water thundering spray hundreds of meters in the air; tiny still sheets sliding sleekly across crystalline or metal forms; lively water tumbling over rocks, over mossy logs; still waters in reflection ponds flowed gracefully over, under, and around sculptures from hundreds of worlds. Paths lined with rocks, grass, moss, bark, glass, bricks, wood, alloys and ceramic meandered through the garden. Plants of all kinds reached for the artificial suns that lit the room ranging from the eye searing brilliance of Tatooine?s double suns to the ultra red darkness of the Noghri moons. The one constant was water. Blue, green, yellow, red; every color imaginable flowed, tinkled, and sprayed. Every fountain added to the sound that surrounded the visitors.

Along one wall, mostly hidden by a huge fountain surrounded by tall trees, was a small wooded glade. Donated by Corellia, the low gnarled trees leaned over a small pond lined with pale ochre driftwood. Water poured out of hollow logs and along twisted iron wood channels of dark red brown in a hundred tiny rivulets. White sand lined the pond, and yellow, orange, and red flowers floated serenely across the surface. Large black and white fish lurked in the sun warmed water, while small brilliant yellow leaf creatures floated along the edges buoyed by the faint turbulence of the falling water. A low wooden bench carved from a huge piece of petrified wood so dark it was almost black, veined with streaks of fiery red and dark maroon sat in a patch of yellow flowers, the tri-petaled corellius. The thick sugary stems were a favorite treat for children to chew on; the pale white-yellow fruit fermented to make the brandy so infamous throughout the galaxy. The gnarly trees, named after the rock gnomes of Corellian legend, loomed over the graceful plants; long stems entwined with the bristled spiny leaves. It was the bluish berry of the tree that gave the brandy its bite.

Legend had it that during the fullest moon on midsummer night, the trees turned into small gnomes, and the corellius into beautiful winged fae. The tiny fae would run, the gnomes pursue, until they caught each other. Then they would dance until the suns rays turned them back into plants for another year. At least they danced in the children?s tales; the adult ones were a little different. Rumor said that if you sat still long enough, you could see the eyes of the plants watch each other and their branches entwine despite the lack of wind. Generations of Corellian Jedi, children and adults, had lurked on that bench or sprawled in the thick grass on midsummer night hoping to see the magical dance of the gnomes and the fae.

Today the bench was occupied by a beautiful Jedi. Her boots discarded along one edge of the bench, her bare feet buried in the warm green of the thick feather grass, she leaned along one thick arm of the bench. She held a data pad and her musical voice blended with the gentle sounds of the fountain as she read. A young man leaned against her leg along the edge of the bench. His feet were bare; his boots neatly aligned with hers. His robe was folded and his head rested against it, her fingers stroking idly through russet locks worn loose and drooping into his closed eyes and along a sturdy neck. His tunic was open, allowing the gentle caress of the sun light across the golden tan of his skin. The only discordant note in the scene of peace was the small bandage protecting the fragile new growth of bone and skin across his temple. However, the healthy tone of hi

18. sayde

sayde Jedi Youngling

Sep 27, 2004
    *delurks*

Wonderful chapter... I do remember being slightly annoyed with Ani as I watched the movies, or perhaps it was a side effect of reading too many Obi-centric fics (if such a thing even exists). There seemed something rushed about the moment when Obi-wan took on Anakin as his padawan in the movie, I think.

On the other hand, will Ben ever have his memories returned? It seems to be too much of a plot point to be ignored otherwise...

You also have my apologies for not dropping in sooner.

Love,
    sayde

19. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    It's a beautiful, balmy 68 degrees outside at almost 11pm, my UCLA Bruins beat Arizona (while USC lost last night) and there is a new chapter from Froggy. I don't think an evening can get any better than this!!

20. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004

this chapter was worth the wait=D=

Adi and her two cubs, what a beautiful expression[face_love]

?A pitiful cripple of a slave boy who fought his way to his Knighthood. A thug who uses violence, not diplomacy to achieve his ends. A disgrace to the Order to allow him to wear the robes and call himself a Jedi. Sith killer? Indeed the second term is correct. His future lies in the darkness that seduced the one he calls his father.?
    Qui-Gon can be such a ditz,:oops: [face_shame_on_you]

But what a wonderful ending to the chapter

Looking forward to more and thanks PaddyJuan [face_dancing]

21. Jedi_Tigris

Mar 7, 2005
    Ahhh, beautiful descriptions! [face_love] Love their little family too. Their banter about the temperature was cute. :D

I'm so happy Qui has realized his mistake. Good thing they knocked some sense into him. He is a good person, just a bit too focused at times.

[face_laugh] Loved Xan's greeting and reaction!

22. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004

Yes! Yes! I know I already commented=P~

but I just had to read it again it was so wonderful

what more can I say=D=

except post soon[face_dancing]

23. Laine_Snowtrekker

Laine_Snowtrekker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 8, 2003
    I didn't know there was a new chapter!!!!!!!!!

Great chapter! I'm so glad that Anakin is now Ben's padawan. And I loved Xan's reaction to being called 'Granddad'. Great post.

Can't wait for the next one. Thanks, Froggy, for the great writing you do.

24. shanobi

shanobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    Anakin closed his eyes. ?Hoping. Please, Master Yoda, please please say yes. I want to be his more than anything. Please.

Oh I found that particular part to be just so incredibly sweet!

This entire post was just so satisfying. You pack so much into each one. Loved your take on Qui in this post. So smug and arrogant at first - I wanted to kick him. How dare he even think such a thing? But then in almost the next paragraph you make me kind of like him again. Looking to the Force and seeing the truth and accepting it so immediately and sincerely - it was just so....Qui-Gonish :) If that makes sense. Anyways - I thought you wrote him perfectly.

I'm so grateful you decided to finish this. It is one of the best fics on these boards - and it would have just been a crime to leave it undone. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I can't wait to see how you tie it all up and finish it off.

--shan

25. okie_from_kenobi

okie_from_kenobi Jedi Youngling

Aug 8, 2005
    Delurking.....

Great story! I'm very glad you're still at it.

Took me quite a while to catch up, and now I'm eager to read more.