main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Parthenon: Home for the Intellectual Discussion Welcome TKL and Art_Of_War, new Thread Hosts!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Souderwan, Oct 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    OK, I'll bite.

First, I've only taken the bits that struck a chord with me - I've NEVER seen a single instance of Lurkers being insulted - asked for, pleaded for to come out of hiding - but NEVER insulted.

Replies are often refered to as 'coin of the relm'. We don't get paid in anything other than that serendipty with our readers, and as we are not physic, unless someone takes a few moments to say "Yes I'm reading" writers Just don't know.

No one is holding a gun to a reader's head, forcing them to reply (and I LOATH the authors who publicly hold stories 'hostage' - that will defiantely have the opposit effect with me) but it IS a nice way of keeping the author 'fed' - (It's known as 'feedback' for a reason after all) - Something I really want to do more often...

As Cyn once said, I write because I must, and yet, knowing that we made that connection - found that serendipty as my dear freind Geo said - that just makes things even sweeter...

2. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

JediKnight-Obi-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 13, 2000
    Why is it a big deal that readers "get" the story?

I'll tell you why, because it lets me know I'm doing something right. I really get pulled into my own story so when I'm writing it, I have a really hard time standing back and judging whether or not it's coming across the way I want it to. A few reader replies let me know if I've done that. Especially if a particular post is supposed to pull particular emotions from readers, like I've been dealing with lately.

YellowDart,
    I'm sensing quite a bit of hositlity here. Not sure why....I haven't really seen anyone on here BASH lurkers. Most of us say we know we have them and appreciate them, but don't mind a shout out once in awhile from said lurker. Not sure why it angers you that there are author notes and author replies and authors asking for comments. If it does anger you so much, I wouldn't think these forums would be the place for you as most most writers here, obviously, like to communicate with their readers. And since it annoys you so much to wade through said replies because of your busy schedule I'd really scratch my head why you hang around. Especially since you said you prefer completed stories and a lot of us are like you, busy students or busy workers who like to post works in progress and get feedback.

You say you'd prefer to give critical feedback, but you'd be surprised how many writers on here would like to hear that. Maybe in a PM?

That's why I said earlier, I like it when I get more than a "Good Job" by my reviewers. I like to know what I'm doing right and the things that aren't mentioned I know I need to improve upon. I don't write for feedback, I write for myself, but I want to improve and you'd be surprised how much a little feedback can do that even if it's not hardcore critical.

I have to agree with dianethx, professional writers can see how many people read by how many people buy the book. I think there's a little thing called Best Seller list. They get money too. And my fav writer Diana Gabaldon gets tons of feedback from her readers...she's just so amazing it can't be helped.:)

3. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    *Musespeak* - that's why I am blessed with a kick ass Red Pen of DEATH. She's the one who csn tell me before it goes to the readers whether we've caught the essance or things have been lost in translation....

4. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
    Yes so do I, but sometimes beta readers go missing and one is forced to post without said feedback. And of course there always has to be taken into consideration that people read things differently than others and come across differently.

Edit: Not to mention when your beta has been with you long enough they start to get into your head so they may SEE what you see and others may not.

5. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Random note, rather belatedly, I finally did the crossover exercise. Thanks to Jon for inspiring me to try.

6. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    I've thought about what lazy said, and I have to say, I really agree with him. I do this for fun, so it's not that important to me that someone cries rivers or falls out of a chair laughing after reading one of my fics. It's a great feeling to be sure, and I appreciate every injury that comes from enjoying something I wrote. :p I especially love making people laugh. But there are scores of little blurbs saved on my hard drive that I'll never post or develop because I wrote them just to write. If nothing else, they're a way to see how my writing has progressed over the past few years. And wow, has it ever - I found one of the first fic ideas I ever had for SW, read through it, and promptly trashed it. [face_blush]

If I get a good feeling out of reading something I wrote a year ago, I figure out why I liked it so much and try to repeat that effort.

7. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Ish-No problem. Gald you did it.

Ah... I've never seen an author hold a fic 'hostage' or anything like that. Sounds... near impossible, actually.

Yellowdart, I've never seen lurkers bashed. We plead for you to come out and respond. Primus knows I do. And I like how the boards are set up, myself. More of a community feeling and all.

About readers seeing stuff that I didn't know was there... happens to me a lot. Very weird, too.

8. wawoot

wawoot Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 5, 2006
    I never mind lurkers - it's flattering to think that people read your story because they actually like it, not just because they're trying to be nice :p (Though I always appreciate that too!!!)

I never completely lurk, myself... But I hate leaving lame, redundant comments, so if 20 people have already said what I was going to say, and my poor brain can't think of anything original to say, sometimes I don't reply to that particular chapter... But I always let the author know I'm reading, in some form or another - I always appreciate when people do that for me! :)

9. cdmcc

cdmcc Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2005
    I haven't seen lurkers being bashed. On the contrary, they're made to feel welcome. I think there's quite a lot of lurkers who have come out of their shell and are all over the place now. I would guess that just about everyone lurked a bit to begin with.

I lurk a lot. Mainly due to time. I can't be bothered logging in sometimes[face_blush] , but I'll read things anyway. Half the time I'm useless at replying anyway so I'll generally leave a 'Well done' or the dreaded 'Good job'. I suppose I don't have a great deal of time to go through huge stories unless I flip into it halfway through and am hooked. If I'm mildly interested or if the post is really good, I'll go back through it and get PM'd, but I don't always post even if I do read.

When I do have time, I'll look for things that are new stories or by newbies.

10. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Actually, even a PM from a lurker can make my day. Just a little note to let me know they've been reading. It puts a grin on my face. :D

11. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    OH, i've seen fics held hostage and have even threatened it once or twice, just because readers were getting out of line.

I love getting pms and random emails from lurkers.

12. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
    Not to detract from the main topic, but Ish you peaked my interest. How do readers get out of line o_O

13. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    ANNOUNCEMENT!!!

Seeking New Thread Host!

After a lot of deep thought (those of you who know me personally know that means hours of meditation! :p), I?ve decided that it?s best for me to walk away from the Writer?s Resource Forum and possibly the boards in the entirety, at least for a while. My reasons are my own and this is certainly not the venue to discuss them. Suffice it to say, this is what I think is best for me, personally.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the sometimes lively but always thoughtful discussions that have occurred in this special place that I?ve called my home on the boards for nine months. Nine months! I find it ironic that this period manages to coincide with a pregnancy?s length! [face_laugh] I?m not sure what that means, exactly, but I digress?

The success of this thread was never due to my efforts. It was always due to the remarkable depth that you, the participants have been able to display. I started this thread in the hopes of creating a place where people can talk about things that matter. I wanted a place where people could gather around and ask questions and get answers, like in the Parthenon of old. Most importantly, I hoped to have a place where I could read the ideas of others and, perhaps, learn a few things in the process. In these respects, The Parthenon has exceeded my wildest dreams. For that, I thank you all. @};-[:D]@};-

I would hate to think that my departure would mean an end to this place. I am not so arrogant as to believe that The Parthenon needs me, in particular. But it does need someone who will care for it. It needs someone who will guide the discussion when necessary and settle disputes should they arise. I never realized that this role was necessary until it was pointed out to me by one of you.

So now I am appealing to all of you participants?past and present. Will one of you stand up and take on the role of thread host? If you are interested, you can either post your interest here or send me a PM. If multiple people show an interest, I will select from among them the one that most represents the ideals of The Parthenon. If you, the participants have a better suggestion, I?m all ears as well.

Thank you all!!

14. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    As a lurker on this thread, I hate to see you go away from the boards, but I understand the need to take time off for personal reasons. I have enjoyed the discussion here, as it has given me a lot of valuable insight into different issues and how I see things on the boards. I wish we could convince you to stay on, but if there is nothing we can say than know that I am thinking about you and wish you lots of luck in whatever you pursue off these boards [:D] and I hope you don't disappear completely.

15. Art_Of_War

Art_Of_War Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 9, 2005
    Well, I just wish to express my admiration for the wonderful intellectual stimulation you brought to the boards. These discussions have, in a fashion, helped me discover the process by which stories need to be told. The unwritten rules which link together to fashion the cohesive whole that both delivers the message to the intended and at the same time finds a place within our own minds. The tools of the trade that allow us craftsmen to bring words to life- to imagination- in all its glory.

So...thank you for the memories and may fortune smile upon you in all your future endeavors.

16. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Layren and Art_of_War, thank you so much for your kind words. While my decision to withdraw as The Parthenon thread host remains in place, I've decided after some off-site discussions that I will stick around here and continue to bore you all with my stories! :p

Ok. Enough with the tedious stuff!

It's time for the big announcement!

ANNOUNCEMENT!!! WELCOME OUR NEW THREAD HOSTS, TKeira_Lea AND Art_Of_War!!!

I want to express my heart-felt thanks to those of you offered to accept the job. In the end, there were so many excellent candidates that I ended up using a semi-complicated rating system with numbers assigned to various characteristics to select the host (yes, I'm a dork :p). Wouldn't you know it, I came up with a tie!! And even better, they were both happy to work together! I'm sure they'll stop by soon and give you details on their future plans for the thread. I know it will be in good hands.

Again, thank you all for your support. This has been a wonderful experience for me.

Now please join me an put your hands together to welcome our new thread hosts, TKeira_Lea and Art_Of_War! =D=

17. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

Glad to hear you're staying around, Souderwan.

Kudos to TKL and Art_of_War :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.