main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Parthenon - New Topic *Ghostwriters*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Pericles_and_Phidias, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pericles_and_Phidias

Pericles_and_Phidias Jedi Youngling

Jul 25, 2006
    Well it's that time. Mush abounds in the Parthenon.

I'd like to welcome our fabulous host for the first workshop of the new Parthenon. And she would be - LadyPadme! =D=

First off, if you haven't read her stuff, LadyPadme can lay down the dramatic tension-filled lovefest. Yet at the same time, her writing comes across as emotion-filled and tasteful. So if you're a writer who has ever wanted to test the romance factor in your writing, it's time to pull up the chairs and pay attention to one of the masters.

Look for the opening post in our [face_love] Romance Workshop [face_batting] some time later today!

2. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    Is it too late to comment on the fanon/canon discussion?

I?m pretty straight forward as far as canon goes. I?ll accept pretty much everything from the movies, of course, and the EU. The thing is, it doesn?t affect me much, because I am OC Revolution! :p But, yes, I do make some effort to check and see whether the planet I wanna use was blown up, or whether the Yuuzhan Vong happen to be invading at that moment, or that Chewbacca?s still around or not.

I will, however, go by the inclusive principle as JadeSolo mentions. Did my OC necessarily help design Lusankya? Maybe not in wookieepedia or whatever, but I haven?t read anything going against it.

But I have a weird relationship with fanon. I love interconnected stories. My fics are always referencing another fic, and they?re obviously in continuity with each other

(I must stop here to point out the exceptions I make for humor fics. Nobody considers The Astoundingly Amazing, One and Only Boushh as canon; and Braken Starblaster, Space Attorney will fly boldly in the face of established canon, and logic for that matter.)

Anyway, I also sometimes incorporate elements from others? fics on purpose (and with permission). For example, Forcefire and I both have fictional crime-ridden cities on Corellia. I added a ripple of making the gang that runs his the rivals of the crime lord who runs mine. A character or two of his even show up a couple times. As far as I?m concerned, everything in talkingbanana?s Nameless by Ice or oqidaun?s Dakari Saga happened exactly as it is there. My characters just weren?t involved. It?s a big enough galaxy for all.

The most dramatic example is the collaborative I did with Mjsullivan, For Hire. (now Saga Story of the Month! :p) We took our sets of OCs and tossed them in together in the larger Star Wars universe. They met each other, shot at each other, etc. It was an interesting experiment, to say the least. As long as Story X and Story Y both adhere to Movies A-F, and don?t contradict each other? the more the merrier! Right? [face_worried]

That?s my take anyway. I?d say I?m actually more concerned with contradicting my own fanon than if I happen to contradict some canon happening. At least then I?m consistently wrong, rather than inconsistent but within what is considered ?right?. Making any sense at all?

Romance workshop: I need this. I personally feel I?m bad at it. All I can really do is take Banter, twist it a bit, and call it Flirting. ;) So hopefully I?ll get some helpful pointers out of this?

3. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002
    Romance Writing Workshop

First off, thanks to Souderwan for originally inviting me to host this workshop, and thank you to TKeira_Lea and Art_of_War for graciously extending the invitation.

Like many of you, I enjoy reading romance, but I find writing it to be a balancing act. Like humor, romance needs to have combination of ingredients put together the right way to make it really work. Of course, it?s often easier to see what doesn?t work than to know what does?we?ve all read stories that were supposed to be romantic but have fallen flat. So, here I?d like to explore elements of stories that do work?what makes them work?

Some reading:

Writing World ? on Romance

PublishingCentral-Writing Romance

Each of these links have multiple links to articles on writing romance by romance novelists.

So?what does make a romance work?

I threw this question out to some members of a message board I host, and (thanks dm1, maryerin, obaona and Puggy!) got some very good tips.

[b]Sexual tension[/b]: This is a biggie. This is really the crux of romance writing. Not [i]sex[/i], per se, although that certainly has its place in romance writing. But the real thing that drives romantic stories is sexual tension, and IMO, the best stories are the ones where the authors/scriptwriters do a good job of ratcheting up sexual tension throughout the stories. Think of some of your favorite romantic stories. In most of them, it was the sexual tension that made the story wonderful.

What exactly is sexual tension? It?s the increasing feeling of desire that the two romantic leads have for each other, an unrequited feeling that becomes more intense and drives the passion in the story. After all, romance stories are all about how two people fall in love. If they just find things in common with each other and start kissing and having hot sex from day one and progress to getting engaged, picking out china patterns and getting married, there?s nothing very exciting about the story. Why? Because there?s no conflict in the story. The actual story is much more interesting when the couple want each other, but can?t have each other, and we learn all the obstacles they must overcome to finally be together. That conflict is then the sexual tension.

So, how to write sexual tension that works? Do you write sex or leave out sex? IMO, the actual sex and episodes where the lovers get to satisfy themselves should be doled out sparingly. Think of how you feel when you see a couple kiss on their wedding day or a couple kissing on their golden anniversary. It?s sweet and romantic, isn?t it? But how would you feel if you saw either of those couples all over each other on a daily basis? It would be pretty nauseating and off-putting, wouldn?t it? Same with romance writing. You don?t want to have too much of the mush in there because it paradoxically dispels the actual romance.

Still, you need to keep the couple together; you need to have them simmering throughout the story. To start with, you need to have attraction. Even if they [i]think[/i] they hate each other, your leads need to be attracted to each other, or at least very aware of each other. They don?t need to for her to see his rippling muscles or for him to be intoxicated by her heavenly scent (or vice versa :p), but awareness can be signaled by each protagonist?s heightened awareness of the things around them when they?re around each other, or some sort of improved or worsened ability to carry out routine tasks when they?re in each others? presence. Or they could just feel uncomfortable in the pit of their stomachs. (?Don?t look at me like that?you?re making me uncomfortable.?) Or feel their fighting instincts aroused. Think Han and Leia or Scarlett O?Hara and Rhett Butler or Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy.

You also need to have a situation where the couple are together or at least in constant communication throughou

4. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    Man, you are organized, LP!

I'll bite...

- What makes a story romantic to you?

I look for the expression of intense emotions between two characters who feel a connection. There needs some ebb and flow to those emotions, generally in the direction of deepening the connection. Sexual tension is a bonus. :D

- What do you think are the most romantic elements of romance?

Sexual tension [face_blush] and great personal interaction between the romantically involved.

- Why do you like to read/write romance?

Both. I can plow through a romance because I'm looking for the happy conclusion past the always present tension. At the same time I like to write romance. It's the getting there that I enjoy the most.

- What things do you NOT like in a romantic story?

Excessive mush. Sex for the sake of sex. Predictability.

- What would you like to work on this week?

Becoming a better writer.

5. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    LadyPadme, you put my workshop to shame...

It's gotta have chemistry between the two romantic leads. Ther'es gotta be tension, and heart.

Love, willingness to die for each other. Willingness to live for each other.

Because romance takes thinking. And it's hard to write, stretching my creative skills.

Like TKeira, sex for the sake of sex.

TKeira, you're taking my answers! ;) To become a better romance/mush writer.

I look forward to this!

6. Princess Cambria

Princess Cambria Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2006
    I'm already in love (sorry for the pun) with this workshop. Thank you so much, LadyPadme!

What makes a story romantic to you?
    Good characterization, undeniable chemistry and a great plot.

What do you think are the most romantic elements of romance?
    Two things ~ great banter and sexual tension which makes my senses go into overtime.

Why do you like to read/write romance?
    I like to read romance for a mood elevator. I like to write romance to express my romantic heart.

What things do you NOT like in a romantic story?
    Too much explicit mush or sex ~ less is more I agree.

What would you like to work on this week?
    Being able to take the romantic thoughts in my head and actually seeing them materialize on paper ~ like the kiss that makes your toes curl or the touch that sends shivers up your spine.

7. SakuraTsukikage

SakuraTsukikage Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2005
    Wow, what a great idea for a workshop! I'm always looking to find ways to become better at writing romance, since it's a major part of so many stories and a sub-plot of a lot of others--and because I'm always afraid I'm falling back into the old hackneyed cliches. It's hard to keep romance fresh and original, I think, harder than most other kinds of writing!

A feeling of connection, of meaning, in the characters' interaction, that leaves a lasting impact and just can't be denied. From the most painful interactions with jagged edges and bleeding wounds to the most soft, gentle mushiness, it's always that feeling of connection between characters that I'm looking for.

The details. :D Little details--how one person notices little things about the other to thoughts at stray moments to the way one of the characters looks or smells. And some really hot sexual tension never hurt anybody, either. :D

Because of the depth of feeling and meaning it has, I think. For a lot of people, romance is a major part of their lives, and perhaps one of the most enjoyable aspects. Most people think about it at least occasionally, even if it doesn't quite have that preemiment importance in their minds. A romantic relationship is one of the deepest and most meaningful a person can have, since nothing else ties the two people involved together except their desire to be with each other, often even to spend their lives together. Romance is a surefire way to get the emotions ramped up and out there, and for me the emotions are what fic-writing's all about.

I think cliches are really a killer--when you get the feeling you've seen the same thing a million times before, just with different names on it. That's the problem I have with a lot of published romance genre fiction; there isn't enough to distinguish it from anything else out there. In a similiar vein, when the characters aren't distinct enough. I think that's especially important in fanfic, since people are reading these stories to hear about their favorite characters, not just your generic [romantic_hero_A] and [romance_heroine_B]. And I agree with the gratuitous mush or sex, because if you can't feel the emotions behind it, then what's the point?

I'd really like to work on getting inside my characters' heads, as far as romantic thoughts go, since everyone isn't going to have the same thoughts on it that I do, especially in a galaxy far, far away! ;) I also want to work on getting those little details that make a fic hot, real, emotional, memorable, all that good stuff. Even the oldest cliche came seem fresh and original if you've got the right characterization and specific details, I think, and I'd definitely like to work on that.

8. TKeira_Lea

Oct 10, 2002
    We can share the love. Right? @};-

9. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Awesome workshop on romance, LP. I look forward to keeping up with this even if I don't get the chance to answer al the quesitons. :)

10. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    Great, already a lot of questions are answered.:D
    And I'm dreading the viggie, 'cause ... I've been poring over it for quite a long time alredy, both topics.:oops: [face_blush]

I love sexual tension.[face_blush] Two great characters fighting it for their very own reasons and 'fate' butting their heads together until they concede to kiss.:D

Small details are very important. What happens when she accidentally brushes by him, banter, and the end with a sigh. *sighs*

I like romance executed to my tastes, whcih are admittedly - difficult. I prefer wquthors who can say it in one word (regardless) to pages of mushy brick-a-brack. Romance needs to be a part of a story, not the story itself, IMO. So I have big troubles because I'm not sure how to scrounge up a story to which to add the romance.

Too much inner monolouge focussing on how you feel, how the other may or may not feel and chewing through all possibble possibilities, or daydreaming them. there's only so much I can take.[face_blush]
    Sex in abundance, because I tend to visualize while I read and too much is just too much. I prfer crafty hints.:D

I might get this muber-mushy parting scene finshed. That would be nice.:)
    I might get on with the increasing of sexual tension in another story.
    But just getting some mush anchored in my head as available tool would be great, too.
    I hope to learn a lot.

11. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    What's that saying about great minds thinking alike?

12. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002
    TKL: Well?organized but very late [face_blush]

I look for the expression of intense emotions between two characters who feel a connection. There needs some ebb and flow to those emotions, generally in the direction of deepening the connection

- Exactly! For me, the ebb and flow really drives the story. And as long as the author ratchets up the tension with each cycle, I don?t mind the turmoil.

I can plow through a romance because I'm looking for the happy conclusion past the always present tension. At the same time I like to write romance. It's the getting there that I enjoy the most.

- Getting there is my favorite part, too :)

RK_Striker_JK_5: Welcome to the workshop!

It's gotta have chemistry between the two romantic leads. Ther'es gotta be tension, and heart.

- Definitely the chemistry really makes the story. I?ve read more than one published author of romance stories where I kind of scratch my head and wonder why on earth the leads fell for each other. Without the chemistry, there?s just no drive to read on what happens to the characters, IMO.

Love, willingness to die for each other. Willingness to live for each other.

- That definitely is an inarguable stance. The willingness to live or die for the other is certainly a powerful indication of emotion.

- And don?t worry that someone else has taken your answers. GMTA, right?

PRINCESSCAMBRIA: Great to have you along!

Two things ~ great banter and sexual tension which makes my senses go into overtime

- I love banter. The best stories, IMO are the ones where they learn each other and fall in love with each other through banter.

I like to read romance for a mood elevator. I like to write romance to express my romantic heart.

- I agree. I definitely feel better after a good romance. ;)

SakuraTsukikage: * waves * Thanks for coming in!

The details. Little details--how one person notices little things about the other to thoughts at stray moments to the way one of the characters looks or smells. And some really hot sexual tension never hurt anybody, either.

- The little details done well definitely make a beautiful big picture. And it?s true, sometimes it can just be a single sentence of a seemingly insignificant moment that makes or breaks a story for me. Sometimes that one little thing, a glance a memory, a thought can really define the romance.

- Oh, and the sexual tension =P~ :p

I think cliches are really a killer--when you get the feeling you've seen the same thing a million times before, just with different names on it.

* laughs * I agree, clichés do the story no good. Although I have to admit I?m a sucker for a certain type of romantic story, which may end up feeling recycled. That?s probably why I?m such a big H/L fan, because their type of romance is the kind that attracts me. Still, when you have different characters, i.e. L/M or A/P or more intriguingly J/K vs J/J you need to have a radically different kind of romance.

HealerLeona: Hugs, it?s great to know you?re here! [:D]

MsLanna: Welcome!

I prefer wquthors who can say it in one word (regardless) to pages of mushy brick-a-brack.

- I definitely agree, too much mush is a squick factor, although I think a lot of sexual tension if done properly can really make a story great. I think it just has to be mush stripped to its bare bones and then strung out over the course of the story.

Too much inner monolouge focussing on how you feel, how the other may or may not feel and chewing through all possibble possibilities, or daydreaming them. there's only so much I can take.

* laughs * Reminds me of an Anne of Green Gables story (I think it was Anne of the Island) where she attempted to write a romance story and her neighbor said the hero wasted too much of his time ?mooning? :p But I agree, there?s only so much room for thinking about it. It makes more sense to show than tell.

And it looks like

13. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    LP I saw you were doing this and couldn't resist... But then, anyone who reads my writing knows I adore romance and am a hopeless romantic ;)

It depends on the overall plot line and what characters I'm using or reading about. What works for some couples, for example Han and Leia, with their constant bickering and banter, wouldn't work for say, Anakin and Tahiri. The beginnings of the relationships really define what's going to be romantic between the characters for me, and so the overall plot has to reflect that. It needs to be molded around the character traits of the main characters involved in the romance so that the romance itself doesn't feel forced.

I think romance is all in the little things. The bits and pieces that speak to the reader, that show the emotions rather than just have the dialogue say the emotions. I think, to contradict one of my fellow work-shoppers, that inner monologue, depending on the story, can add a lot to that. Especially if the story is written in either the first person, or focuses more deliberately on one character?s side of the romance than another?s. That introspection can add a depth to the romance that?s lacking because you?re only focusing on one character.

While sexual tension is great and all ? and yes, I admit to using it rather shamelessly in several stories to the utmost degrees ? it?s not terribly romantic in my books. I think the romance comes from those moments where the sexual tension is suppressed and the feelings, not the carnal passions, of the characters are brought to the forefront through action. An example would be one character tucking another into bed and not forcing the issue ? they turn and leave. Yes the tension is there, underlying the entire scene, but it?s the actions of the character, the caring that makes it romantic.

Because I?m a hopeless romantic? ;) :D

Actually, romance has always fascinated me. Initially I was fascinated by the carnal side of romance, which was actually not romance at all. As I?ve grown as a reader and a writer I find I like to explore other ideas and methods of expression for characters.

Of course, a good romantic character (for me) is willing to live, or die, for their partner and that makes the romance believable. There must be some kind of connection between them, an almost physical one, that draws each to the other and expresses the depth of caring romance requires. To find a good story, where the romance is not only believable but plausible is a rare treat and a gem.

Those are the stories I strive to create and the ones I hunger to find as a reader.

While I like sexual tension as much as the next person, I admit I find nothing incredibly romantic about it.

It depends on the story. What?s the plot, how have the characters been shaped?

I?ve reads stories where gratuitous sex works because there?s a story involved that still involves all of the other aspects of romance. I?ve also read stories where opposites attract.

It?s not so much what I don?t like in a romance story, but more what doesn?t belong in a particular story. If it seems implausible, or beyond the realm of belief for a character to act a certain way then I don?t like it in a romantic story.

I guess what I?m saying is that if it?s not believable, I don?t particularly like it.

I didn?t come into this thinking about what to work on; I came into it thinking about what others would like to work on (after reading everything above) and maybe doing some of those. While I?m not looking to focus on a specific area, I?m always willing to explore romance and its various areas.

14. TKeira_Lea

Oct 10, 2002
    Look at all the excited participants! Welcome [:D]

Stryker: ;)

LP: Exactly! For me, the ebb and flow really drives the story. And as long as the author ratchets up the tension with each cycle, I don?t mind the turmoil.

This from the woman who has ebbed and flowed her readers into a slobbering frenzy waiting for Han and Leia to just get to together [face_laugh]

15. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Hi! I don't know if I'd be able to complete the workshop, but here I go...

The characters, how they're developed to make us believe that what they're doing or not doing is exactly in character. I don't know I I make myself clear. :D

Notr necessarily the obvious ones, like flowers or chocolates. I think ordinary, every-day things can be very romantic. Caring about the other person, putting his/her needs above yours is romantic.

I'm a sad and lonely girl.:rolleyes: No, seriously. It's fun!

Sex scenes that look like they were copied from an anatomy book. Sappy proposals with flowers and candies.

16. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

JediKnight-Obi-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 13, 2000
    Okay...I'll bite. This looks interesting and since I only seem capable of writing romance....[face_thinking] Is there a cure? :confused:

I don't guess I like your normal run of the mill romance stories. More on that later. But what makes a story enjoyable to me is when the two leads seem drawn to each other despite how wrong everyone else seems to think they are for each other. I like to see this in age difference or perhaps in the characters situation. I guess in short you can just say I love any story with any aspect of forbidden love. I guess you can call my taste unsual. I like it when the road to romance is full of stormy pitfalls and trouble. I love torturing my own characters...hence the line in my sig about true love.

Most romantic? I love it when it's forbidden love between characters. And yet they can't seem to help themselves because of the intense chemistry and attraction. Sexual tension in those settings is fun to read.

Probably because I have none in my life and never have. It kinda leaves a void there and I've always turned to books to fill whatever aspect is missing from my life, be it adventure, traveling or romance. Put all three of those in one, and I'm in heaven. As far as why I write it, I'm not sure really. It just seems to be what comes out.

Fluff...I HATE fluff...I hate it when the girl character gets all giggly ala Padme/Anakin in AOTC. I hate those scenes and not just because of the dialogue. To me there is a distinct difference between teenage point of views on love and an adult view. Or you can just boil it down to the maturity of what's written. This is probably why I have a hard time reading half my own first story with my current two OC's. I'm dying to go back and do a re-write as it was first written 6 years ago, but am determined to finish the sequel first. So the writing has to be mature. And on a lighter note, in the Star Wars setting, I don't like reading most of the classical couples, i.e. Anakin/Padme. I'm a big O.C. gal.

Uhhmmm I might just lurk? I'm willing to learn how to improve in any area.

17. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    L_P

What an incredible idea for a workshop! So very well put together, too. I would love to participate, though I am a bit late. To be honest, of all the genres, Romance scares me the most. I find it difficult to contrive a happily ever after story that isn?t full of cheese, if you know what I mean.

Romance, to me, is when one protagonist views the other as someone worth pursuing and/or changing for. When someone inspires change in another it is a beautiful thing. To be found worthy of such a commitment, and to honor it accordingly, is awe inspiring.

My husband summed it up best when he told me, ?You make me want to be a better person. You remind me that there are better things in this world than what I know.? Considering that I eloped with him less than a week later, that must be my idea of ?romantic?. :p

Realistic reactions, tempered with love: both sides of love. The part of Love that says, ?I accept this because I love you.? And the part that says, ?YOU are not allowed to make normal mistakes because you are better than normal, because I love you.? I think both are appropriate and necessary when writing a non-Sue couple.

I want to see the evolution of a personality when the other becomes a part of their life. How does a woman inspire a better man? Why? Is it conscious? Is it natural and puzzling? I want to see and feel the thought process.

Conversely, how can the love of a man challenge a woman?s own view of herself for the better? Can the confidence inspired by love give her a confidence she never had before? Transform a wall flower into a confident woman? Or humble her? Turn a bully into a gentle heart?

And, most importantly ? how do you maintain who you are in the midst of all that change? Inspired by love or not, we are who we are.

To be honest, I don?t like to read romance for romance alone. I need a story with a kick butt plot and lots of action, too. Lots of mush for mush alone makes me gag. Lots of action, snark, and politics tempered with unexpected moments of plausible mush make me melt. :*

This question has popped up so often that I don?t even know how to answer it concisely anymore. Before I begin, I am often accused by my friends of being a prude and a cynic and needing to get laid. (their words, not mine) They are right about most of it, at least. :p

I don?t like ?love at first site? stories, except on rare occasion. No tension = boring.

I don?t like sex where it has no bearing on the plot. If there is sex, it should change the dynamics, at least a little. If there is a PM scene, work some of the emotional barriers and breaking of them into it.

No anatomy lessons and How To books, please. I think I?ve got the basics, thanks.

I can actually think of some stories where one night stands would be tied into a plot, so I can?t rule them out, but for the most part? Bah.

Zonoma

18. TKeira_Lea

Oct 10, 2002
    Z: My husband summed it up best when he told me, ?You make me want to be a better person. You remind me that there are better things in this world than what I know.? Considering that I eloped with him less than a week later, that must be my idea of ?romantic?.

He's a keeper [face_love]

JediKnight-Obi-Wan: Is there a cure?

Nope. It gets worse and worse :p

19. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Bah. Who wants to be cured of love, TKeria? ;)

20. IrishEyedJedi

IrishEyedJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 24, 2005

::Runs in slides on the slippery floor but catches self before she falls *insert Helen Mirren comment from the Emmys*::

Better late then never.

Ok well this will show how visually oriented I am, because I break up romance by their different movie type categories.

The Epic/Classic ? (This is where I put H/L) the type of romance that can over come all odds. They?ve seen heartache and pain, experienced joyful and exhilarating moments but through it all they managed to come together and take our breaths away. They were destined to be together.

Romantic Comedy ? The is where I put the odd ball pairings that you?d never think of yet a writer is slowly able to plant the seed in your head. The hero/heroine often times screws up beyond belief (ala Bridget Jones) but her/his love interest is able to see past it. Through laughter and slap stick comedy two souls are able to see past any prejudice or class status.

Romantic Drama ? This normally entails many trails and heart break before our couple realizes they?re meant to be. The most recent of these would be The Notebook or even The Lake House. These tend to put the readers through a huge roller coaster ride of emotions, making them second guess if the couple would end up together.

All three categories share elements from one another and if I can find these elements in a story then I?ll find the romance in any thing.

I think it all depends on how you as a person view romance. Someone could find a romantic element in the small scene where the characters open up and talk about their past. Others might only enjoy the kissing and whispers of sweet nothings. Even in the most painful of moments like losing a child, or if someone is hurt, the bond that is created can feel romantic.

I?m such a romantic I can enjoy the smallest of touches or exchange or words, but then beg an author for that scene where the couple finally gives in and they sweep each off their feet. It kinda depends on the mood I?m in.

Because in romance there is always hope. Even in the darkest and most desperate of times, love can drive someone to do extraordinary things. And that feeling you get when you?ve gone on a journey with these two people and arrive at the point they can finally be together ? there is nothing like it.

I don?t like it when there is no balance. That it?s all mush or all angst all the time and the reader is never given a break of any kind. There needs to be obstacles they have to over come because then it makes their reunion much sweeter.

I guess strengthening my ability to write compelling romance.

21. SakuraTsukikage

SakuraTsukikage Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2005
    Wow, just reading other people's responses is really thought provoking!

I don?t like it when there is no balance. That it?s all mush or all angst all the time and the reader is never given a break of any kind. There needs to be obstacles they have to over come because then it makes their reunion much sweeter.

This really struck me. I think that's a very good point--balance is very important in any story, but especially is writing romance, I think.

22. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

JediKnight-Obi-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 13, 2000
    Yeah when I read that I was like :oops: I think I'm guilty of that particular point myself...but with the whole plot it just worked out that way. Besides, I figure the more tension built up before hand the bigger the...umm no other word for this...climax. However, I have decided I can slip in a few more either flashback scenes or dreams. :D

23. TKeira_Lea

Oct 10, 2002

And the double entendres begin to fly!

24. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    Entrees? where? I'm hungry, though, so stop throwing the food! Oh wait, maybe I should go visit Herman's thread...[face_worried]

I can't tell you guys how nervous I am about this workshop, though. Seriously. IEJ's post makes me feel like I'm a middle schooler hanging out with the kewl high school kids because my sister was forced to bring me along.

25. IrishEyedJedi

IrishEyedJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 24, 2005

Wait a minute are you calling me your older sister? :p

Let me add to that statement though because obviously there are exceptions to every rule, and some times in a story you're gonna have longer periods of one or the other (mush or angst). But you can?t keep leading your readers to the edge of their seats and not have a pay off. After awhile you'll be the author who cried wolf. Timing is everything and it's the great authors who know how to take their readers to the very edge of giving up before finally um . . . satisfying their need [face_batting]

It was too easy . . . sorry. [face_blush]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.