main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Parthenon - New Topic *Ghostwriters*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Pericles_and_Phidias, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkwriter

Darkwriter Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2006
    I had no idea what this thread was, but when I saw "romance workshop," I had to check it out. This is pretty awesome. I love workshops!

- What makes a story romantic to you?
    CONFLICT!!!!!!! Um, actually it's that gut feeling I get when Belle dances with the Beast. It's all about the feeling.
    - What do you think are the most romantic elements of romance?
    Well, conflict for one. But the "little things" are what counts, as Harry points out to Sally (loved that movie). It's always when the hero says "This is why I love you..." and starts listing off everything the heroine has ever done.
    - Why do you like to read/write romance?
    Like I said, it's all about the feeling (when I read). I like to write romance because it's usually got a pecific sequence (guy meets girl...ect.), as opposed to an action story where I have to make up my own plotline. :D
    - What things do you NOT like in a romantic story?
    When he/she says "I love you beacuse a, b, and c. I love "the little things", but when it sounds so cut and dry I get a little angry.
    - What would you like to work on this week?
    Eh...I have trouble making my climaxes. I'm finishing up one of my romances and I had trouble getting into my climax. Maybe it's because I had been writing the fic for so long, but it seemed kind of dry to me. My beta wroked with me on it, and she assured me it was spectacular...but I'm not sure what I should be feeling when I write the climax. Do you ever feel too detached?

2. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    - What makes a story romantic to you?
    Conflict can be a wonderful thing if not overdone; it can add tension and make the reader wonder if they would ever get together. It can also move the plot along as long as the writer doesn't make us wait too long.
    Devotion of the couple to each other through the most adverse of times.
    I think a lot of people have already listed the most obvious ones. It does depend on the story and on the reader.
    While most found the scenes in AOTC and ROTS between Anakin and Padme to be horrible, I found them very romantic - yes, even more romantic than Han and Leia - I think because I knew their story would be tragic whereas H/L would have a happy ending.

- What do you think are the most romantic elements of romance?
    The small touches that tell everything about what they are feeling, not the hoarse shouts of passion but the soft kiss or touch of a hand. The tentative glance across the room. The first steps, the fear of rejection, the longing in their voices
    The willingness to sacrifice something, even their lives or their own happiness for the other.

- Why do you like to read/write romance?
    I like to read romance because it gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling when all ends happily. Or it makes my heart break when the lovers are torn asunder.
    What little romance I've written has pulled the story along. The story comes first.

- What things do you NOT like in a romantic story?
    Too much sexual tension without some relief. Pacing is everything.
    When there are too many obstacles put in their path and no sooner than one is overcome, when another crops up. It can work but only so long.
    Too much mush without a purpose.
    Too much sex without the tenderness that goes along with it. There has to be a balance.
    A fic without a plot.

- What would you like to work on this week?
    There's work??? :eek:

3. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Can't believe I'm about to say this... but I thought Anakin's 'lines' in AOTC were kinda natural.

I don't know too much about the decade between I and II, but I'm guessing he wasn't exactly dating too much. I could almost see him sneaking peeks at the GFFA equivelant of 'dating tips for dummies'.

4. SakuraTsukikage

SakuraTsukikage Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2005
    I don't know too much about the decade between I and II, but I'm guessing he wasn't exactly dating too much. I could almost see him sneaking peeks at the GFFA equivelant of 'dating tips for dummies'.

That's a great image! [face_laugh] But yeah, I've always kind of agreed with you there. It didn't bother me so much, because I expected him to be awkward. It made sense with his character, and I liked it because of that.

I wonder what Obi-Wan would have thought about that. :p

A fic without a plot.

I was thinking about this, and I think it's a very good point. If a fic doesn't have any plot at all, it just sort of flops all around like a dying fish. A plot, even the most straightforward romance, helps a fic have purpose and meaning. It helps with the balance thing. I think even one-shots need to have a plot--i.e. a clear beginning, middle, and end, and a definite direction of movement and action.

5. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Thanks, Sakura. Yeah, he wouldn't have any experience at all. If he came off as Lando, it would be very jarring and kinda wrong.

Obi-Wan: Anakin, what are you reading?
    Anakin: Nothing, nothing! *to himself* You've only grown more beautiful... No! Maybe I should try out the angel line again.

EDIT:

And yeah. Without a plot, you've got nothing. It just sits there, quivering.

I love this topic. :)

6. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002
    Wow! So much activity! I feel a bit overwhelmed :eek:

Jade_Max: * waves * Great to see you here!

I think romance is all in the little things. The bits and pieces that speak to the reader, that show the emotions rather than just have the dialogue say the emotions. I think, to contradict one of my fellow work-shoppers, that inner monologue, depending on the story, can add a lot to that. Especially if the story is written in either the first person, or focuses more deliberately on one character?s side of the romance than another?s. That introspection can add a depth to the romance that?s lacking because you?re only focusing on one character.

- Certainly, in real life, love manifests more in small things people do for each other than in the big, sweeping, life-altering things. I think both actions and dialogue are needed to give a full picture of the couple?s feelings for each other. I also like inner monologue, but only to a certain extent, but I think sometimes, it really helps to get into the mind of the characters.

While I like sexual tension as much as the next person, I admit I find nothing incredibly romantic about it.

- But unless it?s something like courtly love, i.e. a union of souls where there is no physicality involved, some sexual tension has to be present to drive the romance, don?t you think? The sexual tension, per se, may not be romantic, but it?s sort of like the fuel that helps drive the engine, IMO ;)

TKL: This from the woman who has ebbed and flowed her readers into a slobbering frenzy waiting for Han and Leia to just get to together

- As far as I?m concerned, if my readers aren?t slobbering, I haven?t done my job properly :p

Golden_Jedi: Welcome!

I think ordinary, every-day things can be very romantic. Caring about the other person, putting his/her needs above yours is romantic.

- I agree. I think stories like The Gift of the Magi are incredibly romantic [face_love]

Sex scenes that look like they were copied from an anatomy book. Sappy proposals with flowers and candies.

- Amen!

JediKnight-Obi-Wan: Welcome to the workshop!

Okay...I'll bite. This looks interesting and since I only seem capable of writing romance.... Is there a cure?

- Why on earth would you want to be cured from something as wonderful as that?

But what makes a story enjoyable to me is when the two leads seem drawn to each other despite how wrong everyone else seems to think they are for each other. I like to see this in age difference or perhaps in the characters situation. I guess in short you can just say I love any story with any aspect of forbidden love. I guess you can call my taste unsual. I like it when the road to romance is full of stormy pitfalls and trouble. I love torturing my own characters...hence the line in my sig about true love.

- I don?t think your taste is unusual at all. Think Romeo and Juliet, or of Anakin and Padme! Plenty of people love forbidden romance. I think you?re in great company. :)

Zonoma: Hi, and welcome!

What an incredible idea for a workshop!

- Actually, much as I?d love to take the credit for that, you?ll have to blame Souderwan for coming up with the original idea ;)

I would love to participate, though I am a bit late. To be honest, of all the genres, Romance scares me the most. I find it difficult to contrive a happily ever after story that isn?t full of cheese, if you know what I mean.

- Hey, better late than never, right? And don?t be frightened! Romance won?t bite!

Realistic reactions, tempered with love: both sides of love. The part of Love that says, ?I accept this because I love you.? And the part that says, ?YOU are not allowed to make normal mistakes because you are better than normal, because I love you.? I think both are appropriate and necessary when writing a non-Sue couple.

- I like that idea, that the romantic and the pragmatic (or selfish) have to be present to make romance realistic.

7. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

JediKnight-Obi-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 13, 2000
    Well I've already learned a whole lot just from reading what others have had to say. To be honest, it's rather daunting. It certainly makes you start questioning yourself, like 'Does my story have a plot?' but I've learned questioning oneself is always a good thing in writing. It usually leads to learning and changing for the better....I hope! [face_worried]

It makes me realize how much my writing is going to need an overhaul, but I'll just have to wait till I finish mauling my current one before I do that. [face_laugh]

Now...writing a small romantic scene??? To attempt or not to attempt [face_thinking]

8. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    Now I wonder how to show a romance that needs a whole epic to unfold in a few scenes.[face_worried]

*gets mushy document out*
    :oops: :eek: :_|
    need an overhaul, this does, indeed...

9. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
    MsLanna try showing a romance that's unfolded over two epics! [face_laugh]

10. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    :p
    What can I say. [face_blush]
    But it'd take that lone to believably hitch Boba Fett up with anybody.[face_mischief]

And don't pretend to take less time.[face_shame_on_you] Though, IMO, it was rather obvious from the first meeting in the hallway.:p

Argh, shouldn't have tried that overhail, now I'm crying. :_| :oops:
    Is that good or bad when writing mush?

11. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
    :eek:I wasn't pretending...I was saying it HAS taken me that long to show one of mine, two epics....heck...I'm 180 pages in Word into my current one and there still hasn't been any what one could call mush! I must amend that soon [face_devil]

But apparently you're just as bad so now I don't feel too bad:p Star Wars romance writers are apparently a wordy lot. [face_laugh]

12. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    I'm not.:p
    I never grew out of short stories so far, which is extremely difficult to mix with romance, IMO. I laid out a three story course before they both accept it, but that means I need three plots and three stories and to tie them in neatly and...:oops:

What makes it even more difficult for me is, that I want the readers to be able to enjoy the stories without knowing any other one. So, how can I put unresolved sexual tension into one without getting a bad story? How can I release some of it without any 'action', no not even a kiss.[face_shame_on_you]

Oh dear, I know why I'm here for this workshop.[face_plain]

If I was you I wouldn't complain about mush. The best story to fluff my brain, I found so far.:D

13. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
    [face_thinking][face_thinking] Okay I'll bite...I didn't have my coffee this morning! Are you saying I have to much, too little or enough? Or are you not referring to me at all? [face_laugh]

How can you release sexual action without a kiss? Hmmm dreams? Or the characters imagining what they want to do to the other? [face_mischief]

I dunno..good question!

14. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    Meant to say: if I want to have all the mush I want, I read your story.
    *checks profile*
    Yep, it's you I mean, no mix up.
    I think your story is wonderful for what I consider to be mushy, fluffy romance. More and I'd get an overdose and redecorate my rooms in pink.8-}
    There is that tension, because Meri and Alex must not, but somehow we all know...;)
    Besides, I'm rather fond of your style, in a way it's the mush I'd never read for being to mushy, if you hadn't written it so well. (Am I making any sense to anybody?)
    To me it all feels light (no matter they're not actually getting it easy) and fun to read.

15. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
    First off, thank you for the compliments....and Second WOW! [face_laugh] If you think MINE is fluff then you must've felt about like I did when Anakin and Padme were giggling on screen like a couple of school kids on helium and rolling across the meadow with big fleas.

I call that fluff...[face_laugh] I'm not sure what bothered me so much about that scene in AOTC...it could've been just Hayden's and Natalie's acting but....[face_not_talking] For me it would've flown better if Anakin tried to resist the romance a little, instead of chasing Padme down so intently. It would've shown the conflict within him.

I always thought Han and Leia's scenes so much more romantic. You know...we should ask everyone to define what they think is considered Fluff. I bet you'd get some interesting answers!

I've actually always thought mine was a bit dark for a romance. Interesting...[face_thinking] I'll have to keep that in mind. :D

16. MsLanna

Jul 8, 2005
    I'm not going to tell how I felt about Anakin and Padme, because I don't want to get banned.:p

I don't mind dark in romance, for me it does not have to be all butterflies and pink hearties. Actually I prefer if it's darker. Then the romance can rerally lighten things up, and it's much more endangered/precious, because it's so easy to loose.[face_thinking]

Ani/Padem was to fixed, IMO, there was nothing that could have put them apart, and then running into each other's arms so unresisting took all the tension that could have been out of the romance, too. We knew where it was going and it was going there - no obstacles. Exciting story there.[face_plain]

In romance, I want obstacles. Even if I see the logs you throw in there, I often just think "yYah! go! That's the way to make them suffer!":D Obvious does not HAVE to mean boring.

17. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Perhaps there was no conflict for him. He may have seen their future together and had already accepted it (after all, he told her when he first met her that they were going to get married). For him, it may be that he couldn't understand why Padme wasn't going for something so clearly meant to be...
    Of course, the conflict came when she kept saying no. [face_laugh]

Romance can come in many forms - light fluffy mush to heavy, deadly drama. I actually prefer the latter. It's more emotional and pulls at my heart more clearly.

Definition of Fluff (for me) - sweet, simple and not much emotion invested in the romance. We know that they will get together by the end of the story - no doubt there. It can be funny or mildly serious but the conflict isn't very deep.

I've written a number of fluff stories (no fluff romances, though). The few romances I've written tend to be full of drama and conflict, sometimes with a clear resolution, sometimes not. Always intense, though.

18. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
    Yes, true...I guess it goes back to the fact I was just disappointed by how GL approached Anakin's whole story. I mean he wanted Anakin's fall to be this huge thing and it just wasn't for me. I mean sure he had a vision of marrying her as a kid, but kids are kids and I'm sure the Jedi would have tried to train out any desire for relationships in Anakin. I mean he didn?t seem to have any problem pushing off the visions of his mother dying as just dreams.

I would have loved to see him conflicted just a tiny little bit and by that I mean conflicted about whether or not to actually give in to the love he already knew was there. And the reason he would be conflicted about that, would be because the Jedi actually managed to instill a little bit of character into him.

I thought it funny that Anakin had HUGE problems with the Jedi asking him to break trust with Palpy by spying on him, but he has no qualms whatsoever about breaking trust with the Jedi and more importantly with Obi-Wan by courting and marrying Padme. At least...George portrayed him with having no qualms about it.

And now that I've gone almot completely off topic:p ....FLUFF

Fluff to me is the scene in AOTC with padme and anakin. Giggly, light, fluff. Fluff is a relationship potrayed with no depth...with no conflict. Love ALWAYS has conflict at some point.
    And like dianethx said, fluff doesn't have much emotion.

19. IrishEyedJedi

IrishEyedJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 24, 2005

Are we suppose to post our three romantic stories yet? Or our we suppose to wait for LP?

20. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    I was wondering the same thing myself, Leah...

21. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002

I don't see why not. Her schedule says we start that part of the workshop today. I also don't see how it can hurt.

22. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002
    Post, please! By all means, that's what I'm waiting for to start discussion :)

23. IrishEyedJedi

IrishEyedJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 24, 2005

Ok I'll guess I'll go first . . . [face_worried]

I kinda looked for three different types of romance stories I enjoy.

By the Grace of Lady Vader & The Ascension of the Queen -- I can't remember for the life of me who the authors are, but both of these stories are in the archive. They were probably one of the first stories I read when I joined the boards. It had everything action, drama, mush. I think what struck me so much was a large part of this was Leia against her parents. So in "By The Grace Of Lady Vader" she and Han fall in love and in "Ascension of The Queen" they're working together to bring down the Empire. You get the best of both worlds, their courtship and the relationship. These novels just had that epic type romance I mentioned. Thus remaining one of my favorites.

In Name Only - No I'm not sucking up to our hostess so Shhh Z! Anyway, I'm mentioning this story because I think it fits perfectly into the romantic drama category. Where the relationship is really the forefront of the story, taking H/L and putting them under a microscope. Forcing them to go through circumstances which force un-welcomed feelings to arise. Of course LP was kind enough to give us one chapter of pure mush before putting us poor readers through the ringer again . . . [face_plain]

Birthright -- By none other than GreatOne/PonyTricks. It was probably one of the most quaky stories (before she did the genie one - but that was just plan hysterical). This story really reminded me of the funny aspects of the H/L relationship and just how silly they can be. Plus watching Vader give Han such a hard time as his potential father in-law was priceless. So I guess this would fall into the romantic comedy area.

So . . . there you go. IEJ's three picks for romance.

24. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    I... know those fics, Leah. Good choices, IIRC.

I have some.

Legacy of Light by PadmeLeiaJaina. Jaina giving birth. Had comedy and some really touching moments.

Always: Return of the Jedi by Trickster_Jaina_Fel. The fic that got me to register here. Had action, pathos, drama. And Jaina bringing Zekk back to the Light was cake. Love conquers all.

25. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
    Okay, here's mine. I have two scenes by two different authors but they were cowriting the same story. I'm going to show you small bits of the scenes I liked. Then the third is from a seperate author. I don't have time to post all three at once, so I'll post them one at a time. First up!

By Melyanna in Why Love was Forbidden in the Old Jedi Order

Cianna was trembling as the vision disappeared, aching all over, and only dimly aware of her surroundings. But when she felt her master's arm around her, she suddenly regained control and shut herself off from the Force. Master Rhysode couldn't see her visions as she had them, but through their bond, he didn't necessarily need her permission anymore to find out what she had seen. She didn't want him to see this.

"Cianna, what happened?" he prompted gently.

She shook her head violently. "No," she whispered. "I can't . . . "

"Why not?" Ganner asked. "You've never concealed one of your visions before."

Cianna merely shook her head again. "No, Master, I can't tell you. It's too . . . "

"Too what? Cianna, you have to tell me." When she continued to just shake her head, he said, "Cianna, look at me."

Cianna turned her head hesitantly. There were his eyes again, so piercingly blue, a beautiful color that suited him so well. They were compelling, but at the moment, all they could compel from her were tears. "I can't tell you this," she said, voice breaking. "I'm sorry, Master. You can't know this now."

Suddenly, amid the veil of tears, Cianna felt her Master's forehead rest against hers. She was too shocked to move, and soon his fingers were softly moving against her skin, the intoxicatingly simple motion of wiping tears away. Her breathing quickened, much to her horror - he could feel that as well as sense the way her heart was racing. His thumb brushed away the last of her tears, but Cianna sensed a reluctance in him to remove his hand from her skin. Ganner slid his hand down to her neck, lightly caressing, and Cianna could sense that he had gone from a desire to comfort to plain desire.

And before she even really knew what was happening, her lips were pressed to his.

At first, she sensed great hesitation in him, an unwillingness to push mingled with an uncertainty of action, and he broke the soft kiss and pulled away. His emotions mirrored her own, and in him she also sensed an almost overwhelming desire to claim her mouth. Cianna suddenly realized that while she had thought that her growing attraction to her Master was improper, he had been struggling with the same hopeless quest. He had tried to be noble, proper, but eventually the more noble emotions had overtaken him, bringing him through a maelstrom of untested waters, in which the only constant was Cianna herself.

Their lips were apart for barely a second before Ganner kissed her again, more urgently, more insistently. It took very little coaxing for her to completely surrender to the hunger of his kiss. Her response to him was only slightly more graceful than his request, as her inexperience brought certain diffidence to her actions. But it only took a moment for his persistence to bring an end to any awkwardness. She was lost in him, knowing nothing more than the passionate warmth that was everything she wanted . . .

And nothing she needed.

Abruptly, Cianna pulled away. The reality of the situation, the fact that she had just kissed her Master, suddenly sank in with more force than a star turning into a black hole. Unsure of how she would ever face him again, and knowing that she could not face him now, she stood and fled the garden, sensing nothing more than Master Rhysode's confusion, and her own desire to go back to him.

Okay why do I like this? It's really hard to put into words. It's sweet for one...I like the forbidden aspect of it too since Ganner is Cianna's Master. I don't know...it's hard to explain I'm not good at naming WHY I like stuff. I just do! And their story within the bigger story was even better!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.