main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The PGA Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Zaz, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    And the big cut out posters of fans since I don't know how these could be held with fans in attendance. Perhaps small groups of speculators splatter around the course but nothing like the massive galleries were used to seeing.

I am not trying to be a Debbie Downer just having trying to have a realistic expectation of what the "new norm" is going to look like. Then again if they are actually playing these tournaments in the fall and have crowds the size of the US ameutuer championship when Tiger Woods playing in them I would look back at this post and go, "Okay things didn't turn out as horribly as I thought they could!" :)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    Juliet316 and heels1785 like this.
  2. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Awesome. I will make it to November, to see Tiger go back to back!

heels1785 and Luke02 like this.
  3. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/29043783/the-pga-tour-just-gave-us-all-little-hope

So naturally the WWE, UFC and PGA Tour are going to be the first "sports" apparently to return. I wonder who has a vested interest and/or dear friends in those sports? *smh*

June does seem overly optimistic especially if they plan on hoping around the country to play different tournaments. And I seriously wonder if they are doing what the MLB, NBA and NHL are doing which is working along side the CDC and NIH about how best to return safely not only for everyone involved but also to make sure they were not taking resources away from the frontlines. They gave more information this afternoon and appear to be saying more of the right things:

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/29044859/pga-tour-wants-ramped-coronavirus-testing

As I said in another thread, bringing back sports even with no fans this summer might be in the national best interest for not only morale, the economy (because tv ads revenue will go up knowing eyeballs are watching it therefore companies that are making thru this time period will $$$ for spots and obviously provided some jobs for even with no fans) but also as a public health service since it will give people more reasons to stay home even when the shelter in place orders are slowly lifted. But unless they are going about the right way like the MLB and other leagues are doing, I am not for it at all. Perhaps they are but for the time being I am doubtful.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    Juliet316 likes this.
  4. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    With the PGA, it kinda makes sense, and might be the safest sport to do it as there's more social distancing (especially sans fans as I think their going to do initially), with golf than most of the other sports., especially if all the entourages of some of the higher paid golfers are barred and it's just limited to caddie and golfer on the course.

Luke02 likes this.
  5. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    True @Juliet316 as golf by far is the sport you can practice social distancing with. Players will never have to be within six feet of each other on the course, just their caddy.
    I think it's more the logistics like going from state to state and everything else involved. Plus June seems too early. July seems more doable. I don't know maybe by June the facts on the ground will say this can be done responsibly and there will be enough resources to go around for everyone but I doubt it.

Juliet316 likes this.
  6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    so this is unexpected

hopefully they can breathe some life into golf games. hb studios/tgc hasn't innovated much, although their games are pretty solid - imagine that team has been absorbed by 2k and their resources.

B99 likes this.
  7. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Might pick that up. The last PGA game I played was pretty meh..

heels1785 likes this.
  8. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    [​IMG]

You can tell Dustin Johnson hasn't carried a golf bag in a long, long time.

B99, Juliet316 and heels1785 like this.
  9. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I was shocked when I tuned in expected local news and actually saw a live golfing event on my NBC station. It's been so long!

B99 and Luke02 like this.
  10. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    He almost walked off w/o his bag on the 18th. lolol.

Juliet316 likes this.
  11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  12. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    It went better then I thought. Hearing them talk was fun and once the regular tour starts, it will be interesting to hear them interacting with their caddies all the time which apparently is the plan. Relatively speaking I don't think the sport is going to miss fans that much in terms of how you can enjoy it at home, sorta like UFC has a good presentation right now without fans. Team sports I think are going to suffer without fans especially if it's like the MLB plan where players are being told not to talk much.

Juliet316 likes this.
  13. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Indeed, golfers may do better without the distraction of the fans in the galleries.

14. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Agree though my uncle is convinced they might play a bit worse because he is convinced galleries, hospitality tents give them advantages. "How many times is a ball heading towards being OB but then hits some dummy in the arm!" He loves to yell lol!

It seems like PGA and UFC is made to not have fans yet translate well onto TV. I am not sure how other sports especially if the MLB plan stays currently which includes players from talking much like the game is played by a bunch of monks. Totally get the health aspect dont get me wrong but the game wont translate very well. If players are mic up and we get to hear a lot of smack talk, game strategy etc then I think fans will enjoy it a lot more and IMHO more likely to tune in

Juliet316 likes this.
  15. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    NFL does mic up some of it's coaches and players.

Luke02 likes this.
  16. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014

Juliet316 likes this.
  17. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Greatest golf interaction ever, Phil telling Tiger to mark his ball on the green as he punches on from 150:
    Tiger: You want me to use one of my US Open medals?
    Phil: You have one...you have any? I got some of the silver ones. Do you have any of the gold ones? Either one will work.
    Tiger: I should have three of them.

The Match 2 was 50 times better than the Match 1. If only the weather was alittle better, but real enjoyable to watch.

18. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    It really was a fun watch, the QBs both had some crazy good shots....and I'm just has happy that Tiger's team won as I am that Brady's team lost.

Juliet316 and Guidman like this.
  19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    And Brady's pants went for social distancing as well yesterday.

cubman987 and B99 like this.
  20. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Juliet316 likes this.
  21. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Juliet316 likes this.
  22. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Fowler only golfer mic up which is disappointing but you can hear a lot of the stuff they are saying which is interesting. It is bizarre though with no fans as players are not reacting like they normally would be.

Juliet316 likes this.
  23. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014

PGA IS Back!

heels1785 , Luke02 and Juliet316 like this.
  24. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014

Juliet316 likes this.
  25. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    B99 likes this.