main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The Phantom Menace 20th Anniversary Thread

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by cubman987 , May 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    I was watching the build up to the Duel of Fates with Maul, and it is manifico! The tension, the mystery and then the satisfaction of the duel itself. The duels in AOTC and ROTS felt more contrived and to please action junkies; though I love these duels anyway,m. TPM Duel feels more epic and choreographed. The whole film builds to this duel with Darth Maul. The Duel with Dooku in AOTC is great, but there isn’t a build up, or set up to make the conflict feel important, you spend much of the film’s time with Jango Fett as a main villian. ROTS suffers from duel overload, four total, and the only duel that should have happened was the Battle of Brothers on Mustafar, which has the most emotional depth and impact on characters.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    Erkan12 likes this.
  2. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    HelloGreedo's pretty good reminiscing video:

whostheBossk and Gamiel like this.
  3. StarYogi

StarYogi Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2005
    Oops, I didn't see this thread and just posted another separate thread for this video. If a moderator wants to merge my other thread into this one, feel free.

4. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Here is the Austin Powers trailer I mentioned in my long, rambling post. Always cracked me up they have "If you see only one movie this summer, see... Star Wars. But if you see two movies, see Austin Powers".

And now some trailers and commercials related to Episode I:

5. StarYogi

Nov 18, 2005
    These are great ^^^

Thanks for posting!

6. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    20 Years of TPM. Wow, time has flown by! I'd wish LFL would make more if it then ONE Panel at celebration. Hey this is a Generations introduction into SW and you wouldnt be able to produce more films and stuff if it wouldnt have been for this Generation and this movie.

I LOVE Episode I. I was 12 back then movie hit the Cinema on August 19th in Germany (glady we did get a word wide release for every SW movie since). I was hyped and pumped, had already played the Video game (completly spoilered) and could not wait for it to be released on the big Screen. I was a fan since watching the Ep IV SE in Theater with my grandpa back in january 1997 and I was buzzing with anticipation. I remember seeing the first Trailer on a national TV channel Streaming it in german for the VERY FIRST TIME. I couldnt make any Connections to what I knew of SW back then, only remembered Qui-Gon, the reffering to the prophecy and this Young child who seemed to be important! It was such a big deal for the tv channel to Show this Trailer, it was like an Event.

The film itself is very Close to my heart. I sets up SO many Things. I love the Story, the world Building, the pod race, the duel of the fates. Qui-Gon is a brilliant character (who doesnt get the appreciation he deserves!). I always liked little Anni and his abilities and skills, I thought it was great seeing Vader as a little boys.

I remember asking myself over and over how it continues and what will happen with Anakin and Obi-Wan next. I was so pumped for Ep II from the Moment I got out of the Theater.

So many fond memories and Feelings. I think TPM is the movie which made me a DIE HARD fan. It's a Piece of art and one of Lucas' most honest movies. It's visually mindblowing with great designs and effects, adds so much to the GFFA, makes it bigger, grander. The Story is a great prologue to Ep II and III and sets up everything which happens in those two films. The Music is recocnizable with nice callbacks and great new pieces. The whole time around Ep I was just great. I think even the Hype for TFA didnt match what the Feelings were around 1999 when Ep I was released.

Iam glad that more and more People Show their love for this movie and the PT in General. Its a shame that movies like this get a bad Reputation from some loud noisy buzzing of a small crowd whos expectations and nostalgia wasnt met like they hoped.

7. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Every Saga Has A Beginning :qui:

8. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    saw it 10 times in the theater, still have all my ticket stubs. never had seen a movie more than 3 times. I watched it for the 42nd time last friday.
    the people that didn't like it wanted a more jaded and dark movie, i needed the opposite at that time of my life and it was perfect to me. it's the most visually creative and beautiful Star Wars film.

9. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    TPM is my favorite of the prequels. I like Liam Neeson's performance the best. He was my favorite character as s kid. I first saw the film when I was 13. I saw it seven times. (I have a nice dad. He's 80 now.) My Dad liked Anakin. Dad was not critical of Jake Lloyd's performance. I think that Lloyd is blamed for some of Lucas's odd choices. I mean, it's weird that a slave should say, "Yippee!" Watto may not have been the worst master, but he still had explosives in Anakin and Shmi's heads. That's messed up. Darth Maul was terrifying. I didn't realize that he was less powerful than Tyranus and Vader as a kid. But, still, Ray Park was good at portraying Maul almost being content to be a living weapon. I think Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter is a good companion for TPM. I like Ian McDiarmid as Sidious Palpatine in this film. He's chilling. Also, I didn't have a problem with Jar Jar as a kid. I do think the aliens in Star Wars are often racist stereotypes. The Hutts are usually corrupt and manipulative, for example. But the Neimoidians actually work as a stereotype in a way that's kinda amusing. I'm sure there was a good Neimodian out there somewhere. The same goes for Kaminoans. There was a Kaminoan Jedi once. I personally believe the old EU story about Ki-Adi-Mundi finding A'Sharad Hett is a better story than TPM. Still, I gotta give TPM props for being visually interesting. ROTS is probably the best prequel, despite its problems with sexism. But, for me, TPM is my favorite.

10. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Hard to believe it's been twenty years since the Phantom Menace came out. Phantom Menace will always have a special spot in my heart since it established the Prequel setting that I have always loved: a Republic rotting with corruption but still a democracy granting relative peace to the galaxy and a galaxy where hundreds of Jedi Knights advocated for peace and justice. The Jedi have always been one of my favorite parts about Star Wars, and Phantom Menace shines so much light on the Jedi, allowing us insights into their training customs, prophecies, Temple, and Council.

The relationship between Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon embodied a perfect mixture of affection, respect, and tension that I always felt moved by their arguments about Anakin and ultimate reconciliation at the swamps of Naboo. I get shivers both when Obi-Wan insists that the boy (Anakin) is dangerous on the landing pad and when Qui-Gon proclaims that Obi-Wan will become a great Jedi due to being wiser than Qui-Gon. I also get tears in my eyes at Qui-Gon's death scene when Obi-Wan promises to train Anakin, and it's so poignant for me when Obi-Wan insists to Yoda that he will train Anakin (even against the Council's wishes if he has to) because his faith in Qui-Gon is ultimately so strong that he is willing to overcome his doubts about training Anakin because doing so was Qui-Gon's dying wish. Ah, this film just had so much for an Obi-Wan fan such as myself to fall in love with, and that's exactly what happened to me in 1999.

Anakin's past as a slave was heart-breaking, and Shmi seemed to be doing a great job raising him as essentially a single mother. Shmi always stuck me as such a resilient and gentle soul. It is amazing that she taught her son that the biggest problem in the universe is that nobody helps each other. She was so right about that. What an awesome lesson to teach anyone. I didn't have a problem with Jake's portrayal of a young Anakin. For a child actor, I actually thought he did pretty well, and I one hundred percent sympathized with him even knowing he would grow up to be Vader. Also, the early connections between Anakin and Padme are so sweet and you see why he latches onto her as a sort of mother figure once he has to leave Shmi.

I could understand why Jar Jar would irritate others, but to me, he was just an amusement. I always found him funny, especially as a kid.

All in all, Phantom Menace was a fun film for me both when it came out and now. I'll always love it for the characters and the Prequel setting it established. It may not be the most popular of the Star Wars films, but that didn't diminish my enjoyment. So grateful for my dad, who first took me to see it in theaters, and bought a VHS copy for me to watch over and over with my brother.

11. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    devilinthedetails likes this.
  12. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Thank you. I'm happy to be here, having conversations about Star Wars with fellow fans!

cubman987 likes this.
  13. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    TPM was on yesterday on UK tv :D watched a bit of it :p

14. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Did you only watch half of Maul's scenes? :p

15. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    One of the great things about TPM (and really all Star Wars movies) is that it can be appreciated by both children and adults, and that one's appreciation of the movie can grow as one matures from childhood to adulthood. That was certainly the case for me. I was eight when I first saw TPM. Eight-year-old me picked up on some very meaningful stuff in TPM but eight-year-old me also missed out on a lot of the meaning a twenty-eight-year old me can see today.

Eight-year-old me instinctively sympathized with Anakin being separated from his mother. Shmi's line about not being able to stop change any more than you could stop the suns from setting always hit me in the heart, as did Anakin's final good-bye with his mother where he runs back to her for a final hug. Twenty-eight-year-old me who has learned more about human psychology is also able to appreciate these scenes in a deeper way and understand more fully how such a separation from a mother still trapped in slavery could be extremely traumatic for a young Anakin.

Eight-year-old me did follow the politics of TPM enough to understand the plot (and didn't find them boring) that Palpatine was replacing Valorum as Supreme Chancellor, but eight-year-old me didn't know that votes of no confidence were real things in our world (not just a galaxy far, far away) or see how skillfully Palpatine was manipulating a young Padme in their scenes together. Twenty-eight-year-old me is much better able to appreciate how profoundly manipulative Palpatine was and can make connections to real world votes of no confidence. Similarly eight-year-old me understood that the Trade Federation had power in the Senate, but twenty-eight-year old me better can understand that as being a comment on internal corruption within democracies and the influences corporations can have on democracies. As I matured, I could find much more meaning beyond just the bare bones of the plot in the politics of TPM.

Eight-year-old me also interpreted TPM as a story with a primarily happy ending: Naboo is free, Obi-Wan is a Jedi Knight who will train Anakin, the Naboo people and Gungans worked together to achieve a common goal, and there is even a celebration at the end. Yes, I was sad that Qui-Gon died, but overall I got a happy ending vibe from TPM. Twenty-eight-year-old me is better able to appreciate the foreboding aspects of TPM with Palpatine being in charge of the Republic at the end and promising to follow Anakin's career as a Jedi (which now always gives me shivers as a line). Eight-year-old me didn't know what a phantom or a menace were, but twenty-eight-year-old me finds Phantom Menace to be a perfect title for a movie where a Sith in shadows manipulates events to position himself as Supreme Chancellor of the Republic.

16. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    I wish I could say I saw Darth Maul for a split second, but alas I didn't :p

17. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I saw TPM at the mall.

18. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    If Maul showed the movie there, he'd only charge half prices. :p

19. Vault

Vault Jedi Master star 1

Jan 18, 2010
    The Phantom Menace was the first time I ever experienced Star Wars. I was 5 years old. As a kid, I enjoyed it. Aspects still hold up. Maul's character design was on point, the pod-racing is a neat little set-piece, and the duel makes the slog of the rest of the film worth it.

20. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Good memories. I remember by the 7th or 8th time I saw it just patiently waiting for the end battle with Maul.

21. Darthman92

Darthman92 Force Ghost star 6

Feb 24, 2016
    This is the first film I was able to get in on the hype for, being 6 and all. And honestly, still feels the most potent of a pre-movie buzz I've ever been immersed it if you get what I mean by that strange string of sentences. Lol. Seeing some of these commercials again is really striking a real chord with me! haha

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  22. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    Had no idea this great thread existed!- I need to get out of RYL more often :p

PCCViking likes this.
  23. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    40 minutes of thinly-veiled, more or less subtle bashing that pretends to be an unbiased historical analysis.

KyleKartan likes this.
  24. StarYogi

Nov 18, 2005
    I think bashing is a pretty strong word. It's just one man's take on some of the history and impact of the film, and included what I felt were some interesting pieces of footage and tidbits that some here might appreciate. I'm a much bigger fan of TPM now than I once was, but there's no denying audiences in 1999 were divided about the film. I guess I just see it as a realistic assessment that doesn't attempt to sugar-coat anything.

heels1785 likes this.
  25. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-episode-i-the-phantom-menace-oral-history

Lucas: “Everybody said, “Oh, well, there was a war between the Jedi and the Sith.” Well, that never happened. That’s just made up by fans or somebody. What really happened is, the Sith ruled the universe for a while, 2,000 years ago. Each Sith has an apprentice, but the problem was, each Sith Lord got to be powerful. And the Sith Lords would try to kill each other because they all wanted to be the most powerful. So in the end they killed each other off, and there wasn’t anything left. So the idea is that when you have a Sith Lord, and he has an apprentice, the apprentice is always trying to recruit somebody to join him — because he’s not strong enough, usually — so that he can kill his master.

That’s why I call it a Rule of Two — there’s only two Sith Lords. There can’t be any more because they kill each other. They’re not smart enough to realize that if they do that, they’re going to wipe themselves out. Which is exactly what they did.”

Deliveranze likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.