main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The Phantom Menace 20th Anniversary Thread

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by cubman987 , May 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @Princess_Tina That's a good point and comparison. You're right that on first view Palpatine might come across as a sort of typical sleazy politician who might be playing the situation for his own ends, but he doesn't necessarily stand out as being exceptionally evil unless you know his full end goal and the strategy he has to accomplish that goal. For the ultimate villain of the saga, he can very much fly under the radar especially if someone doesn't make the connection of Sidious to Palpatine.

2. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    he looks more like a used car saleman

3. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Now you mention it I could see him doing a low-budget commercial for "Palpatine's Used Autos." [face_laugh]

PCCViking and christophero30 like this.
  4. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    use my car knowledge. I beg you.

5. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    If you don't come see me today, I can't save you any Republic credits!! :emperor:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  6. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
  7. Frisco

Frisco Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 21, 2019
    Can't believe it's 20 years, already! But I have to say it: my love for the prequels has never diminished. What a joy they are -- they never fail to entertain. I feel like I want to be in that world. I want to be with these characters -- especially Qui-Gon, who's my favorite, out of all of them.

If only I could go out to the desert and find this kind of adventure! Unfortunately, all that awaits me there is an earthly hike on a dusty trail. But the prequels fire up my imagination when I get home and put them on -- every time. Can't say enough good about them, really. Just alot of fun to watch!!

8. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I am about to embark on a rewatch of the entire Saga to prepare for Ep 9. I am actually really stoked that I can watch them in 4K and Dolby Atmos, thanks to Disney+. Should be awesome!

9. Frisco

Frisco Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 21, 2019
    It's going to be glorious!!

Strilo likes this.
  10. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    Its amazing how good the CGI looks in TPM today. Truly a film far ahead of its time; Lucas & ILM outdid themselves. And unlike so many other CGI stuffed movies, the action is extremely well lit, and there are hardly any cramped shots; most of the action is in wide and open shots where you can clearly see what's going on.

The Duel of the Fates is still the best Lightsaber duel of all time, nothing even comes close both action wise, visually and audibly. The ST's attempt to do something different and unique in this regard like the Snoke throne room duel unfortunately fell flat on its face, hard.

dolphin, Count Yubnub and Darthman92 like this.
  11. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Well, the duel between Kylo/Rey and the guards was probably one of the best parts of TLJ (with only Luke's confrontation with Kylo surpassing it).

dolphin likes this.
  12. DARTH FATHEAD

DARTH FATHEAD Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 22, 2013
    I remember the day it came out, I was in my girlfriends house in the city center. I wasn't able to get get tickets for love nor money. She used to work at a cinema on Parnell St and surprised me with 2 tickets (I married her of course after that) I remember being so excited sitting there and a long time ago etc rolled up on the screen. I really enjoyed the movie and thought it was great. A few months later we moved to Australia for a year, there was a cinema in Chinatown still showing it and at only 5 dollars a ticket I went to see it about 17 times. Happy days

13. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    This was the last time I remember standing in line for hours to get tickets, then a week or so later standing in line for hours to see the film in good seats...

14. IHeartKenobi89

IHeartKenobi89 Force Ghost star 5

Nov 17, 2019
    I didn't get to see TPM in the cinema, but I did see it when mum brought it home VHS and I loved it. Can't believe that it's now 20 years younger.

devilinthedetails likes this.
  15. smoothkaz

smoothkaz Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 25, 2014
    I watched 'The Phantom Menace' today, officially beginning my pre-Episode IX Skywalker Saga rewatch.

There's so much to love. It's a great prelude, perfectly setting up and providing context for Eps. II-III. The overall look still holds up, along with much of the visual effects. The Podrace remains a masterpiece of editing, sound design and effects work.

The movie has an almost whimsical atmosphere at times, very much capturing a fairy tale-esque style of real-world darkness hidden under a layer of the fantastic.

The score, final lightsaber duel, designs, overall scale, all impressive and iconic 20 years later.

16. BookExogorth

BookExogorth Force Ghost star 4

May 4, 2017
    Same here, but I started yesterday.
    Seeing Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon working together was cool. I love how they work together.
    Even in the first half , I kept noticing interesting tracks that I hadn’t heard before.
    Everything on Naboo has such interesting designs.
    main takeaway is that I really want a STAP

17. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @BookExogorth Seeing Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon work together was always one of my favorite parts about TPM. I always loved watching them fight together, destroying droids and stuff, and they just had a great dynamic that showed what a Master-Padawan bond could and should be like, which I always enjoy.

I also agree that everything on Naboo has such interesting designs. I really love the Naboo world-building, both with the Gungans and Theed, during TPM. Naboo is a wonderful Star Wars setting, in my opinion.

Gamiel and BookExogorth like this.
  18. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    Watching it later in the lead up to TROS. I can't believe this is 20 years old now. I still remember being in the postgrad common room surrounded by people from all depts waiting for TPM trailer to finish downloading (took about 6 hours!) so we could watch it via quicktime on that gorgeous 17" CRT screen.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  19. Jamtia1

Jamtia1 Jedi Knight star 1

May 27, 2019
    Love this movie. I will have to watch it in 4K. Honestly there are so many great things to love about this movie.

20. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    I'm ready for some Special Editions. Come on, Disney...print that money.

21. PodracingSkywalker

PodracingSkywalker Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 1, 2014
    Having just seen the latest Disney atrocity, I have to say I miss George's input now more than ever. I wish the fans didn't drive him away, nor Iger/Kennedy ruin his saga. I'm happy I have 1-6.

22. Prisic Duskleap

Prisic Duskleap Jedi Master star 3

Jul 24, 2014
    This film is such a under appreciated gem. Every time I watch it I appreciate it so much more. So much creativity and vision. Such a shame it doesn't get the respect it deserves. I would argue it's the best film in the saga.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
  23. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    “News outlets reported with bemusement as fans laid down their cash for a ticket to, say, Joe Black, sat through the trailer and promptly left the theatre without watching the feature.”

I got interviewed by USA Today after leaving a screening of Meet Joe Black. I too had only come for the TPM trailer. 20 years later I still haven’t seen Meet Joe Black.
    Skipped college classes, went downtown, bought a ticket and promptly got up after the trailer was done. I then went on Darkhorizons (and maybe this site) to see the grainy MPEG version.:)
    Saw the film 8x in those first two weeks. It wasn’t until after browsing this forum that I noticed the backlash and the flaws became more apparent.

whostheBossk likes this.
  24. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Joe Black is actually not a bad movie in my opinion.

25. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    amen!

I loved queen amidala’s wardrobe. And would totally have been one of her handmaidens just to help her do her hair

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.